Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What's your plan for QB next season?

How can you argue that the Texans haven't drafted a QB high in the draft since Carr and say that they have a propensity for reaching?

If you take the QB out of the draft equation the propensity escalates very quickly. And just because they have reached for a QB in the draft doesn't mean that they won't. They did in Free Agency. Texans panic and desperation is familiar with both, free agency and the draft.

You know, there's a good reason teams think the Texans would want a QB. They've seen the Texans offense in action. Rick's work has been done. No manipulation required.

The reasons are limited to QB play, the OL has also contributed and is a guilty accomplice in the this poor performing offense. For all practical purposes the OL has taken a step backward each year since Kubiak has departed.

Last edited:
If you are paying attention, the Texans have been doing just the opposite this off-season...acting as if they are ready to roll with Savage, so that the Texans don't seem to be so anxious to draft a QB...presumably to have some team NOT move in front of them.

Either way, the Texans are in position where the entire league knows that the team SHOULD be drafting a QB early, if not moving up top do so. There is no smoke or manipulation for the Texans to do in that regard at this point. Most of the league is not stupid.

Jags and Colts: "Hold my beer!"

LZ just mentioned on 790
He's hearing QB unlikely at 25 and that the Texans like Peterman. He also said Smith is unquestionably running this draft. Guess will find out if Smith is good or bad

LZ just mentioned on 790
He's hearing QB unlikely at 25 and that the Texans like Peterman. He also said Smith is unquestionably running this draft. Guess will find out if Smith is good or bad
Braddock said his source said they didn't like Peterman lol

The concensus or general thought among many of the talking heads in the sports world have the Texans trading up to get either Mahomes or Watson. We'll know soon enough.

Not every yr, the yr McCarron/ Carr/Jimmy G/Bortles etc.. was a yr that I wanted them to pick their QB. I also wanted them to trade for Goff last yr. This yr I want them to get Mahomes and if they have to trade up so be it. I don't want them to just pick a QB because they need a QB.

If you don't have the stomach to trade up for Mahomes then lets see what Savage has and pick a QB next yr. I don't see another QB out there that I can say this guy is definitively better than Savage. So fix the OL/secondary this yr and draft a QB in the draft that is more QB friendly.

That's what my QB plan would plan. I would also trade down (If Possible) for more ammo to be able to trade up in 2018 for my QB. Also I would probably draft a guy like Kaaya or Dobbs to compete with my 2018 drafted QB, if Savage proves not to be the guy. If Savage is the guy you have a young QB that can learn from the bench until Savage gets hurt again.
I think the Texans are going to start Savage regardless of who gets drafted when. OB has stated many times that he doesn't like to start rookie QBs. I would be good with Mahomes, Trubisky or Watson in the first, as long as they fall to 1.25 or the Texans trade up a few spots to get one of them. Even then, it would take Savage and Weeden getting hurt or utterly stinking it up for a rookie to start in 2017.
If you take the QB out of the draft equation the propensity escalates very quickly. And just because they have reached for a QB in the draft doesn't mean that they won't. They did in Free Agency. Texans panic and desperation is familiar with both, free agency and the draft.
Care to show some examples? I don't consider day 3 guys to be reaches very much and Smith has been excellent in the 1st. 2nd round picks haven't panned out well, but not many of them have been obvious reaches, either. Okoye is about the biggest reach for Smith in round 1and he was getting a lot of love around the NFL, well at least the talking heads.

I agree with you on OL but I'm not as concerned with the secondary. This is a deep, deep draft at CB and S. It's not a very good draft class on OL. I'd rather see LB and DL over secondary. I think we're good to go at the skill positions on O.

An 8 pm start just sucks. I freaking HATE being in the eastern time zone. No way I'll be awake when the Texans pick.

Remember in 2010 when people were saying wait till next year? Or 2014?

QBs worthy of the 1st overall don't come around often, but they do come around.

Thing is we don't need a QB worthy of the #1 ovreall. All we need is a QB worthy of #25 overall & a staff capable of developing him.

I don't think we have the staff to develop a QB
, so I can understand if the Texans don't want to invest a 1st or 2nd round pick on a QB. Let that staff prove they can do better than what we saw last season then I might invest a first round pick on a QB. If that staff could get early Dalton or Tannehill type production out of Savage, I'd be willing to trade an entire draft to get them whatever QB they want.

Still, I can understand those saying there won't be a QB worthy of that #25 pick, wait till next year.

I'm just not sold their won't be a QB there worthy of 25.
The bolded is why I remain leery of picking a QB early. Until O'Brien & Co. prove they can develop a young QB, we'll just trash some youngster's career.

Savage has been in the system for three years, going on four. Let's see how well the offensive brain-trust has done teaching Savage this system.
If you want to bring in another QB in round 3 (or even later) to let Savage know he's on a short leash, then do so. But AFTER you use the first two picks to fix the RT spot and maybe give Savage another weapon.
my :twocents:

DocBar and Dx-Tx, don't worry, there is no way they will skip the Texans pick for a commercial. They will be too busy interviewing the guys that were picked 7 slots ahead of the Texans or a bunch of sportscasters that no one wants to hear from. Then they will mention the Texans pick and immediately go to commercials so they can get the pick after the Texans. :smiliepalm:

The bolded is why I remain leery of picking a QB early. Until O'Brien & Co. prove they can develop a young QB, we'll just trash some youngster's career.

Savage has been in the system for three years, going on four. Let's see how well the offensive brain-trust has done teaching Savage this system.
If you want to bring in another QB in round 3 (or even later) to let Savage know he's on a short leash, then do so. But AFTER you use the first two picks to fix the RT spot and maybe give Savage another weapon.

Yup. They already destroyed Osweiler and failed with all the other jabronis. Don't need to ruin anyone else.

Completely agree. The Texans have had time to develop their "developmental QB". Let's see what the results are. After watching every pass Tom Savage has made as a pro (several times), I'm confident going with him and Savage hasn't shrunk from being challenged as a pro.

I think I get where you're coming from. Maybe I'm reading too much into the way you wrote it.

I do not like the connotation of "take a chance." They better know imo. If they're throwing darts at a board, I'd just as soon have Texian & Steelb making the picks. Drafting a guy in the first round just because Mayock says he's a first round talent (which he isn't saying, but some people are) doesn't make sense to me.

I have absolutely no problem with the Texans passing on all the QBs they did pass on in 2014. O'b said from the beginning that there were 6 guys who were pretty similar prospects. I'm hoping Savage was one of them. I thought McCarron should have been one of them & he looked pretty good when he had a chance to play. But I thought Mettenberger was one of them as well & he didn't look so good.

"taking a chance" sounds like gambling & taking a guy because you have to take a guy. If (and I'm saying if) O'b is in love with Beathard, I'd rather he take him in the 5th than drafting him in the first because it'll make people think he's more talented as a first round pick.

I'd rather he takes an OL in the first & his QB in the 5th, rather than a first round guy to take a chance on & the 5th round guy he really wanted.

/rant

Brother Thunderkyss every draftee is a gamble. My thing is if they are high on one of these quarterbacks in the draft, by all means go get him. I've read they we're very impressed with Watson. If that's the case, take a gamble/chance and do what you have to do to get him.

Last year at this time they really wanted Will Fuller and they did what they had to do to get him. Their plan was speed, so they executed that scheme to the tee.

Brother Thunderkyss every draftee is a gamble. My thing is if they are high on one of these quarterbacks in the draft, by all means go get him. I've read they we're very impressed with Watson. If that's the case, take a gamble/chance and do what you have to do to get him.

Last year at this time they really wanted Will Fuller and they did what they had to do to get him. Their plan was speed, so they executed that scheme to the tee.
By all means implies a Texian "trade 5 1st round draft picks" hyperbole comes into play. Bullshit. Successful teams don't do that, How did the Goff/Wentz trades work out? Either have a winning record? You judiciously trade picks, You don't go all in for one.

By all means implies a Texian "trade 5 1st round draft picks" hyperbole comes into play. Bullshit. Successful teams don't do that, How did the Goff/Wentz trades work out? Either have a winning record? You judiciously trade picks, You don't go all in for one.

No sir that doesn't mean go all bananas and stuff. That is very unlikely to happen with our Texans.

That theory about starting rookies is going to be tested.
I'll do my best to support Tom Savage as our Week 1 starter if he can stay healthy enough to start some games early in the 2017 season.

But I have no doubts that Deshaun Watson can come in right away and "wow everybody." I think Deshaun is going to out-perform Savage and Weeden in training camp and the preseason to win the starting job outright.

Ideally you want the kid to sit and learn for a little bit.
We'll see how fast he can grasp Bill O'Brien's playbook.
Deshaun Watson is a great kid. He'll learn fast and he'll play well.

They only gave up one, next years.

He cost them two first round picks. The one they used on him this year and the one they used to get #12. Make no mistake he cost us two 1's and if you put all our QB "lumps" into frame we've used a pair of 1's and a 2 (getting rid of Os) to get us to rookie DeShaun Watson sitting behind Tom Savage for a few weeks until they feel the pressure to get him on the field.

We have a grabasstic QB acquisition system here in Houston right now. It's just a bunch of clowns on Kirby with their heads up their behinds trying to hit a bull's eye with darts shaped like big rubber dicks.

Last edited:
He cost them two first round picks. The one they used on him this year and the one they used to get #12. Make no mistake he cost us two 1's and if you put all our QB "lumps" into frame we've used a pair of 1's and a 2 (getting rid of Os) to get us to rookie DeShaun Watson sitting behind Tom Savage for a few weeks until they feel the pressure to get him on the field.

We have a grabasstic QB acquisition system here in Houston right now. It's just a bunch of clowns on Kirby with their heads up their behinds trying to hit a bull's eye with darts shaped like big rubber dicks.
Please don't lump Rick Smith's screw up with Deshaun. Deshaun has nothing to to do with Osweiler. You are being a dick to deshaun if you mentioning him in the same breathe as that pathetic qb named Osweiler. Please stop.

They have to start him right away. Gave up 2 1st round picks to get him.

They probably will. But they don't have to. They have to get it right. If he's not ready, he's not ready.

My definition of ready is probably different than most. IMO, he needs to be able to protect himself. Either get the ball out on time, be able to navigate in the pocket, or be really, really good at improvising.

If he's just a tackling dummy...

Please don't lump Rick Smith's screw up with Deshaun. Deshaun has nothing to to do with Osweiler. You are being a dick to deshaun if you mentioning him in the same breathe as that pathetic qb named Osweiler. Please stop.

Has nothing to do with Deshaun and everything to do with the Houston Texans fucked up quest to find a QB since Schaub went teets-up and McNair gave up on his Case Keenum merchandising wank-fantasy. I understand what you're saying about Watson not having anything to do with what happened before him but the series of errors that led us to this player at this cost is related. It's all related. Draft position matters. Contract numbers matter. What you have to give up to get a player matters and directly relates to expectations. It isn't fair but it's a fact.

In two years we've gone through a small fortune in cap money and draft picks to arrive at this situation. It ain't pretty and the only way it comes out with everyone smiling is if DeShaun Watson pans out. He damn well better pan out because of this kid turns out like Os or even worse David Carr we may not see another first round QB in my lifetime.

Has nothing to do with Deshaun and everything to do with the Houston Texans fucked up quest to find a QB since Schaub went teets-up and McNair gave up on his Case Keenum merchandising wank-fantasy. I understand what you're saying about Watson not having anything to do with what happened before him but the series of errors that led us to this player at this cost is related. It's all related. Draft position matters. Contract numbers matter. What you have to give up to get a player matters and directly relates to expectations. It isn't fair but it's a fact.

In two years we've gone through a small fortune in cap money and draft picks to arrive at this situation. It ain't pretty and the only way it comes out with everyone smiling is if DeShaun Watson pans out. He damn well better pan out because of this kid turns out like Os or even worse David Carr we may not see another first round QB in my lifetime.

If he doesn't pan out, it'll be different. This isn't an entitled guy or a guy that isn't going to work hard. If he flops, it's because he just can't do it, not that he wouldn't listen to coaching or didn't want to put in the work.

I'm not sure if Watson will be good, but I don't think he'll suck, if that makes any sense.

Aren't y'all a little excited about the possibility that we just got a legit QB? I get being upset with cost, that's always going to be difficult when you make a move like this, but there is potential for something really great. There is zero potential for something great without a legit QB, in today's NFL anyway.

Everything hangs on what Watson does and how Bill O'Brien likes him.
Bill says he doesn't like to start rookies.
Bill says he likes Savage.
Bill is apparently (maybe?) not all that happy to be coaching in Houston.
Bill doesn't seem to be a genius OC or play caller.
Bill's offense is supposed to be difficult.
Bill doesn't tailor his system to his QB.
Bill is maybe a little bit ornery.

I mean, it looks like Watson has quite the hill to climb here.

He was very expensive, but I hope for the best.

Everything hangs on what Watson does and how Bill O'Brien likes him.
Bill says he doesn't like to start rookies.
Bill says he likes Savage.
Bill is apparently (maybe?) not all that happy to be coaching in Houston.
Bill doesn't seem to be a genius OC or play caller.
Bill's offense is supposed to be difficult.
Bill doesn't tailor his system to his QB.
Bill is maybe a little bit ornery.

I mean, it looks like Watson has quite the hill to climb here.

He was very expensive, but I hope for the best.

What is expensive? KC moved up and gave up slot too. You know why? You ain't beating top flight was with a game manager like Smith. Smith makes great decisions and is risk adverse, that will win games. To win or even make it to the Superbowl, qb needs to make plays when presented .

Think about this, say Savage plays well, they can high tender him. If he doesn't play well, you can move on and Watson can roll. I said this before, the Texans were where ravens were post silver one flaccid.

If he doesn't pan out, it'll be different. This isn't an entitled guy or a guy that isn't going to work hard. If he flops, it's because he just can't do it, not that he wouldn't listen to coaching or didn't want to put in the work...
He's got a lean frame. I hope it's not fragile.

After the disaster of OZ we just had to make this move. Will he workout for us, who knows but we had to do it. Eventually one of our QB's is gonna work in the system. Who knows it may be him. We are wasting JJ, Clowneys and Dhops careers we may as well take a chance. He has the most upside of any player in the draft. There is no other position in football that can make the difference he "could" make. Also glad we did not get Romo that would have been a waste of future years.

Like i said brother go all in and that's what we just did. Moved up 13 spots to grab exactly what they wanted.

Great job
Looks like more of a panic move after Trubisky and Mahomes were off the board. I'm not happy at all that the Texans moved up 13 spots to draft an INT machine.
I agree that the Texans certainly went all in on QB in 2017. 2018 2nd round pick to get rid of a mistake and 2018 1st round pick to draft a project. You've gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em. know when to walk away, know when to run. I'd love to play poker with Smith and McNair. Hell, I could probably end up owning the Texans.

Looks like more of a panic move after Trubisky and Mahomes were off the board. I'm not happy at all that the Texans moved up 13 spots to draft an INT machine.
I agree that the Texans certainly went all in on QB in 2017. 2018 2nd round pick to get rid of a mistake and 2018 1st round pick to draft a project. You've gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em. know when to walk away, know when to run. I'd love to play poker with Smith and McNair. Hell, I could probably end up owning the Texans.

Well Trubisky was never an option, Mahomes went early because KC jumped from 27 to 10 and Watson the still there wouldn't you have moved up? Or did you want to wait until "next year"?

Well Trubisky was never an option, Mahomes went early because KC jumped from 27 to 10 and Watson the still there wouldn't you have moved up? Or did you want to wait until "next year"?

That just shows you how important the position is .... The Chiefs have a pretty darn good QB in Alex Smith who should have a few good years left in him yet they made a BIG move up the draft board to get a kid I think is gonna be special .... planning for life after Smith. They don't want to find themselves where the Texans and Cleveland have for the last half decade. Looking for an answer ....

That just shows you how important the position is .... The Chiefs have a pretty darn good QB in Alex Smith who should have a few good years left in him yet they made a BIG move up the draft board to get a kid I think is gonna be special .... planning for life after Smith. They don't want to find themselves where the Texans and Cleveland have for the last half decade. Looking for an answer ....

Which is funny because I think a lot of people would call what KC did good planning, yet people are saying that the Texans panicked. KC made a bigger move to make it happen as well.

If he doesn't pan out, it'll be different. This isn't an entitled guy or a guy that isn't going to work hard. If he flops, it's because he just can't do it, not that he wouldn't listen to coaching or didn't want to put in the work.

I'm not sure if Watson will be good, but I don't think he'll suck, if that makes any sense.

Aren't y'all a little excited about the possibility that we just got a legit QB? I get being upset with cost, that's always going to be difficult when you make a move like this, but there is potential for something really great. There is zero potential for something great without a legit QB, in today's NFL anyway.

Gave up two 1's for a QB that will be a top 15 QB if the Texans org is lucky.

I would've given up the 3rd for Mahomes if I was Ricky.

Back