Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What's your plan for QB next season?

So let me get this straight, you're mad because in the last 6 drafts we missed out on 6 QBs. Of all the QBs taken in 6 years we missed out on 6 of which Foles sucks, Carr was not coming here period , Garropolo is just as unknown as Savage, and Bridgewater is learning to walk again. So really 2 guys in 6 years, Cousins and Wilson - neither which was drafted to be a franchise QB. Naw I'm good. Build up the rest of the team if my odds are 6/1530. (2 picks in a draft I believe; something like that)

'Carr was not coming here period' is really ultimately f*ck all absolution for whiffing on a pro bowl QB. And Garroppolo was, and remains, the more desired and hotter prospect at QB as a wide consensus whether you want to accept that as a reason for FO discontent or not.

And then there's Wilson and Cousins as well.

I believe Cleveland will trade up for Trubisky, Buffalo will take Watson and Arizona will take Mahomes.

My plan is a two year plan. I ride with Savage this year. He either shines or he's gone. My objective is to give him every available resource and see if we can move forward with him. My safety net is a mid round QB pick and Im trading our first this year for a first (plus ????) for ammo to be able to maneuver up to go get the QB we want. We need to build some flexibility so we can move up and take our guy instead of picking through the leftovers and debating whether or not we should pass up great talent for an inferior talent because of need. Control your own destiny, don't bow to chance.

So let me get this straight, you're mad because in the last 6 drafts we missed out on 6 QBs. Of all the QBs taken in 6 years we missed out on 6 of which Foles sucks, Carr was not coming here period , Garropolo is just as unknown as Savage, and Bridgewater is learning to walk again. So really 2 guys in 6 years, Cousins and Wilson - neither which was drafted to be a franchise QB. Naw I'm good. Build up the rest of the team if my odds are 6/1530. (2 picks in a draft I believe; something like that)

Right. Drafting Posey, Brooks, Jones, Martin, Su'a-Filo instead, to "build up the rest of the team" has worked wonders. Do you have that straight now?

I believe Cleveland will trade up for Trubisky, Buffalo will take Watson and Arizona will take Mahomes.

My plan is a two year plan. I ride with Savage this year. He either shines or he's gone. My objective is to give him every available resource and see if we can move forward with him. My safety net is a mid round QB pick and Im trading our first this year for a first (plus ????) for ammo to be able to maneuver up to go get the QB we want. We need to build some flexibility so we can move up and take our guy instead of picking through the leftovers and debating whether or not we should pass up great talent for an inferior talent because of need. Control your own destiny, don't bow to chance.
Have to like this. The details may be different but on rhe basics we are in agreement.

Right. Drafting Posey, Brooks, Jones, Martin, Su'a-Filo instead, to "build up the rest of the team" has worked wonders. Do you have that straight now?

Everyone thinks the QB position is such a gamble .... they don't take into account that every position is a gamble.

We don't have a damn QB , haven't had one for 4 years that is worth a heaping pile of poo.

If you don't have at least a solid quarterback , you have NO CHANCE of winning the ultimate prize.

We've gone into every season since Schaub fell apart knowing that our team is playing for ..... draft position and concessions profits.

Get one in this draft , even if he doesn't start the season or carry's the clip board all year , at least the process of developing the kid is started and we can go into subsequent seasons with a little hope of the ultimate goal. Beats the hell out of going with Has Been , Never Was , Cast Off , UDFA , 4th , 5th , 7th round guys who never had what it takes to begin with.

Everyone thinks the QB position is such a gamble .... they don't take into account that every position is a gamble.

We don't have a damn QB , haven't had one for 4 years that is worth a heaping pile of poo.

If you don't have at least a solid quarterback , you have NO CHANCE of winning the ultimate prize.

We've gone into every season since Schaub fell apart knowing that our team is playing for ..... draft position and concessions profits.

Get one in this draft , even if he doesn't start the season or carry's the clip board all year , at least the process of developing the kid is started and we can go into subsequent seasons with a little hope of the ultimate goal. Beats the hell out of going with Has Been , Never Was , Cast Off , UDFA , 4th , 5th , 7th round guys who never had what it takes to begin with.
But why gamble on a long shot when you can pick a favorite? Just go with savage this year. If he does good we have our QB. If he doesn't then we have a really good draft pick and and another first in my scenario where I trade this year's first for a next years first. If savage is our QB we have two first round picks to add more talent wherever needed. If he sucks we have two first round picks to get the QB we really want.

Or we could gamble on a lower ranked one this year. I like my plan better.

But why gamble on a long shot when you can pick a favorite? Just go with savage this year. If he does good we have our QB. If he doesn't then we have a really good draft pick and and another first in my scenario where I trade this year's first for a next years first. If savage is our QB we have two first round picks to add more talent wherever needed. If he sucks we have two first round picks to get the QB we really want.

Or we could gamble on a lower ranked one this year. I like my plan better.

I guess it depends upon how you rate the prospects coming out this year vs next ..... I really like Mahomes. The more I watch him the more I think he has what it takes to be a top tier NFL QB. The kid has rare physical ability , his accuracy is special , his work ethic cant be questioned and has the desire , love of the game that you don't see in many prospects.
You add all that up and .... That's a kid I have to take a my chances with. That's the kid Kizer was talking about in that braggart interview ....

I guess it depends upon how you rate the prospects coming out this year vs next ..... I really like Mahomes. The more I watch him the more I think he has what it takes to be a top tier NFL QB. The kid has rare physical ability , his accuracy is special , his work ethic cant be questioned and has the desire , love of the game that you don't see in many prospects.
You add all that up and .... That's a kid I have to take a my chances with.
If we had a creative offensive coach I would agree. I just can't see mahomes and OB coexisting. IMO it would be like oil and water.

If we do draft mahomes I won't be mad. I really liked him before I starting thinking about how bad a fit he would be with OB. IMO, we totally screwed the pooch this offseason. We should of let OB go and hired Shanahan. Then draft Mahomes. Those two moves would of given this team a new outlook. Mahomes would be great of the bootleg.

'Carr was not coming here period' is really ultimately f*ck all absolution for whiffing on a pro bowl QB. And Garroppolo was, and remains, the more desired and hotter prospect at QB as a wide consensus whether you want to accept that as a reason for FO discontent or not.

And then there's Wilson and Cousins as well.

Carr was going where he was drafted. I don't have any doubt about that. It was the Texans who didn't want to be associated with the Carr family again professionally IMO.

Reactions: JB
I have to admit, I find it almost amusing that so many are concerned that any developmental QB the Texans select will not develop and be as good as Schaub. I want one that will develop and make us all forget how Schaub could win a share of regular season games, but would get his butt kicked in prime time against good teams. Remind me again how many playoff games he won...?

And drafting Ponder, Tebow, Sean Minnion, and Logan Thomas is that much more appealing? Do you think our defense just magically built itself?

And drafting Ponder, Tebow, Sean Minnion, and Logan Thomas is that much more appealing? Do you think our defense just magically built itself?

And where has that gotten them again? Just another year of a great defense wasted away because you don't have a QB that can put points on the board.

And where has that gotten them again? Just another year of a great defense wasted away because you don't have a QB that can put points on the board.

It's gotten them the most successful run in franchise history. Imagine that.

With the draft looming, it's getting obvious that the top 3 QBs won't be on the board when the Texans pick. I think they trade back into the 2nd (maybe picking up a 2018 2nd), and taking a QB in the 2nd. Who? Kizer, Davis, or Peterman. So the QB depth chart post draft looks like:

1. Tom (Not as Terrific) Savage
2. Brandon (You can call me Thorsson) Weeden
3. 2nd round Rookie of your dreams

Is it possible the Texans look to sign another vet post-draft? Fitzy? Cutler? I think it's possible.

With the draft looming, it's getting obvious that the top 3 QBs won't be on the board when the Texans pick. I think they trade back into the 2nd (maybe picking up a 2018 2nd), and taking a QB in the 2nd. Who? Kizer, Davis, or Peterman. So the QB depth chart post draft looks like:

Is it possible the Texans look to sign another vet post-draft? Fitzy? Cutler? I think it's possible.

Since the Texans aren't going to win the SB next yr (Are they even trying) I'm all for trading down if Mahomes isn't there and gaining 2018 picks to make a run at Darnold/Rosen/Stidham. Will Bob/Ricky McNair agree with us? Doubtful

I'm really starting to embrace the idea of trading back a handful of spots and drafting Kizer.

He has probably overtaken Mahomes on imaginary big board.

People talk about us having Manning as though it would have put us in Denver's shoes in SB 50. It might have helped but there were so many other factors, who Denver played against vs who we played against, the receivers, the o-line, yes the defense, hell even the wether conditions and what says they played on.

Having Manning does not mean Denver won our SB it was just one factor that helped create a perfect storm for a title.

It's just as likely that Manning playing for us would have gotten sacked on the first snap and broke a hip or something.

Playing what if with the past is just as much guessing as predicting the future.

Did I mention SB 50 anywhere? Or SB 48? Or any SB? I mentioned it was an option, nothing more. Will you deny it was an option?

I have to admit, I find it almost amusing that so many are concerned that any developmental QB the Texans select will not develop and be as good as Schaub. I want one that will develop and make us all forget how Schaub could win a share of regular season games, but would get his butt kicked in prime time against good teams. Remind me again how many playoff games he won...?

Matt Schaub only played two playoff games and won one. He would have played in more but Albert Haynesworth is a thug.

I would **** myself on live television in front of billions to get another Matt Schaub.

Again this works under the assumption that BoB hasn't gotten who he wants. We drafted Savage, we went and got Hoyer and Mallet, despite what some here say all reports are BoB was on board with Osweiler.

Just because they didn't work out doesn't mean BoB didn't get his guys.
"We" haven't done anything. The Texans drafted Savage and went after Mallett, Hoyer and Os. I believe Mallett and Hoyer were bridges for Savage and Os more or less forced on Obrien.

With the draft looming, it's getting obvious that the top 3 QBs won't be on the board when the Texans pick...
I'm not at home with all my notes and info, but disregarding trades, I think there is a reasonable chance that two of the three will be there at 1-25, and if Cleveland were to do the unthinkable at #12, all three QB's might be there. What can't be calculated are teams trading back into the first above our 1-25.

If you think all three are going to be gone, how do you see this happening?

Glad your happy with that run. 2-14

Yeah actually I am happy, not content but happy. See I remember when we had zero talent on our roster. When our FAs wouldn't get picked up and would end up with regular jobs. Are we done working? Absolutely not but that doesn't mean I'm going to be all Debbie Downer like you about everything the team does. No one can do right in your eyes. I asked you earlier in this thread who have we realistically missed on since Schaub and you've been church mouse quiet. I notice when someone tries to engage you in meaningful discussions you rarely have something to say besides Rick Smith sucks, the FO sucks, the owner sucks. This is why you've gone from a really good poster to...what you have become.

Matt Schaub only played two playoff games and won one. He would have played in more but Albert Haynesworth is a thug.

I would **** myself on live television in front of billions to get another Matt Schaub.

Schaub on this team would join the ranks of Dilfer, Brad Johnson, and Russel Wilson - QBs that won a SB because of the team around them. I'm perfectly ok with that too.

If you think all three are going to be gone, how do you see this happening?

The Niners pick at #2 is in play. I don't think they want to take a QB there, but would prefer going with maybe Watson at #8.

The Browns are trying to move up from #12 to get Trubisky. Maybe #4 or #5.

The Jets HC and GM can't be comfortable with their future in the hands of McCown and Hackenberg. They could sit at #6 and take either Mahomes or Watson. Or get cute and try to move down a bit.

The Bills and Cards should be the floor for any of the 3 QBs. I think the price for moving up for the Texans or the Chiefs will be too high.

Wild card? Jags shock the world and take Watson @ #4. Bortles is not Coughlin's guy.

Peterman has a floor of good Schaub, with the right coaching, patience and a couple years as, first, QB3 and then QB2.

He's the guy I like in the draft as well. I think he'd be available in the 3rd but I could see use taking him in the 2nd. Preferably by trading up in the 3rd or back into the 2nd to get him.

The Niners pick at #2 is in play. I don't think they want to take a QB there, but would prefer going with maybe Watson at #8.

The Browns are trying to move up from #12 to get Trubisky. Maybe #4 or #5.

The Jets HC and GM can't be comfortable with their future in the hands of McCown and Hackenberg. They could sit at #6 and take either Mahomes or Watson. Or get cute and try to move down a bit.

The Bills and Cards should be the floor for any of the 3 QBs. I think the price for moving up for the Texans or the Chiefs will be too high.

Wild card? Jags shock the world and take Watson @ #4. Bortles is not Coughlin's guy.
OK, I understand.

None of these QB's carry a grade to make them a top 10 selection. But you see teams overdrafting to get a QB, or trading down.

I see these same teams you name as taking another posittion of need with their first pick and then trading back up into the bottom of the first to get rheir QB.

This is what will make this draft interesting for me, to see how the QB's and OL'men come off the board.

Did I mention SB 50 anywhere? Or SB 48? Or any SB? I mentioned it was an option, nothing more. Will you deny it was an option?

Honestly more quoted your post due to the reference to Manning to give mine context rather than meaning you were saying Manning would have won us anything.

I actually had you go back to check to even see if I did quote it.

To answer your question though yes it was an option and possibly a good option. I more meant I have heard and read people say that if we had Manning this would have been a SB caliber team for sure.

"We" haven't done anything. The Texans drafted Savage and went after Mallett, Hoyer and Os. I believe Mallett and Hoyer were bridges for Savage and Os more or less forced on Obrien.

Hoyer maybe but I really think O'Brien thought Mallet was going to be his QB just didn't realize the maturity issues. I don't think they ever intended Savage to be the guy, it's only now when they are choice less that they are trying to talk him up at all and that's after all signs point to them planning on getting Romo.

And I still don't get where this "Osweiler was forced on O'Brien" stuff comes from. Every report from every source said that BoB liked what he saw in Osweiler and again at the coaches breakfast everyone said he wouldn't shut up about the guy.

It's only this off season after the epic fail that was Osweiler happened and O'Brien realize people were starting to question his whole QB guru image that these reports of being forced on him are coming out.

Hoyer maybe but I really think O'Brien thought Mallet was going to be his QB just didn't realize the maturity issues. I don't think they ever intended Savage to be the guy, it's only now when they are choice less that they are trying to talk him up at all and that's after all signs point to them planning on getting Romo.

And I still don't get where this "Osweiler was forced on O'Brien" stuff comes from. Every report from every source said that BoB liked what he saw in Osweiler and again at the coaches breakfast everyone said he wouldn't shut up about the guy.

It's only this off season after the epic fail that was Osweiler happened and O'Brien realize people were starting to question his whole QB guru image that these reports of being forced on him are coming out.
Savage was not drafted to start early. Everyone knew he needed several years of coaching. Oz wasn't forced on OB, he certainly had some input. But what he had no control over was the contract, and then being forced to start him as QB1 because of that contract. We'll never know how this effected the developement of Savage, his playing time or his probable delay in starting.

Savage was not drafted to start early. Everyone knew he needed several years of coaching. Oz wasn't forced on OB, he certainly had some input. But what he had no control over was the contract, and then being forced to start him as QB1 because of that contract. We'll never know how this effected the developement of Savage, his playing time or his probable delay in starting.

Agreed but I think BoB did know Osweiler was being brought in as a starter. True he had no control over the contract, not his job anyway, but no one really even though getting Os away from Denver was possible so it was not hard to figure out it would take a big number to do it, a number Denver almost matched.

I will agree to an extent that he had to start him as 1 but that's kind of the nature of the beast as compared to just a Texans thing. Anytime a big name signing is done or a big contract signed the coaches know they have to start that person, thats just the NFL.

Savage was not drafted to start early. Everyone knew he needed several years of coaching
Why is it that Savage needs "several years" of coaching, but Dak Prescott can produce in his first season? Can't it just be a case where some guys get it and some don't? And this is Savage's contract year. School has to be over now.

By your logic we should all just be happy with 9-7 and early playoff exits every year.

If you read the post before that or any of my other posts you'd comprehend what I clearly said. But that would be asking too much wouldn't it?

Why is it that Savage needs "several years" of coaching, but Dak Prescott can produce in his first season? Can't it just be a case where some guys get it and some don't? And this is Savage's contract year. School has to be over now.
My understanding is that Prescott was not drafted to start but was third string. Injuries allowed him the opportunity. He also had a very good supporting cast. It worked out but this wasn't the plan going into the season.

It wasn't the plan, but Prescott came through. A case can be made that Savage hasn't been ready yet. 2 good, not great, quarters in 3 years. Injuries have set him back, but he's had plenty of mini camps and training camps to get ready.

We're supposed to believe Savage is ready now? No one has any more of a clue of what he can do than any of these draft prospects. All we know for certain is that Savage is better than Osweiler. A pretty low bar.

It wasn't the plan, but Prescott came through. A case can be made that Savage hasn't been ready yet. 2 good, not great, quarters in 3 years. Injuries have set him back, but he's had plenty of mini camps and training camps to get ready.

We're supposed to believe Savage is ready now? No one has any more of a clue of what he can do than any of these draft prospects. All we know for certain is that Savage is better than Osweiler. A pretty low bar.

To quote Michael Jeffrey Jordan, the ceiling is the *roof

*edit

Last edited:
Since the Texans aren't going to win the SB next yr (Are they even trying) I'm all for trading down if Mahomes isn't there and gaining 2018 picks to make a run at Darnold/Rosen/Stidham. Will Bob/Ricky McNair agree with us? Doubtful

Serious question... why don't we trade up to get him? If we think he's all that & don't think he'll be there, let's go get him.

I'd hate to find out that the Texans felt that good about a prospect & cheaped out. If they liked Mariota, Winston, Goff, Wentz... I think they should have traded to go get them.

What if they're wrong? So be it. But if they're worried about being wrong, then they didn't like the guy enough imo.

Looks like we're going to be in a situation soon, if we're not already, where we're going to trade up to get a guy we're not extremely confident in.

If they're not "confident" then they shouldn't do it. & I'm fine with that, if that's how we ended up with Savage, I'm ok with that.

Yeah actually I am happy, not content but happy. See I remember when we had zero talent on our roster. When our FAs wouldn't get picked up and would end up with regular jobs. Are we done working? Absolutely not but that doesn't mean I'm going to be all Debbie Downer like you about everything the team does. No one can do right in your eyes. I asked you earlier in this thread who have we realistically missed on since Schaub and you've been church mouse quiet. I notice when someone tries to engage you in meaningful discussions you rarely have something to say besides Rick Smith sucks, the FO sucks, the owner sucks. This is why you've gone from a really good poster to...what you have become.

I gave you a list of QB's Ricky has had a chance to aquire and passed on since Schaub hurt his foot upthread. I sorted the QB's out by division. Let me just give you the NFC East QB's Ricky has passed on and you can look up the rest. Dak/Cousins/Wentz

I was watching NFLN a few days ago & Ian Rappaport said the Jets are extremely pleased with Hackenberg & he will have a shot at winning the starting job this offseason.

I didn't believe it myself. Can't imagine what they are "extremely pleased" about, but that's coming from the Rap Sheet... so.

Serious question... why don't we trade up to get him? If we think he's all that & don't think he'll be there, let's go get him.

I'd hate to find out that the Texans felt that good about a prospect & cheaped out. If they liked Mariota, Winston, Goff, Wentz... I think they should have traded to go get them.

What if they're wrong? So be it. But if they're worried about being wrong, then they didn't like the guy enough imo.

Looks like we're going to be in a situation soon, if we're not already, where we're going to trade up to get a guy we're not extremely confident in.

If they're not "confident" then they shouldn't do it. & I'm fine with that, if that's how we ended up with Savage, I'm ok with that.

To answer your question,

It takes balls to do a deal like the Rams/Philly did last yr.

So far I think the McNair's have been castrated by the HWNSNBM fiasco, to the point that they're paralyzed in fear of drafting a QB high.

I was watching NFLN a few days ago & Ian Rappaport said the Jets are extremely pleased with Hackenberg & he will have a shot at winning the starting job this offseason.

I didn't believe it myself. Can't imagine what they are "extremely pleased" about, but that's coming from the Rap Sheet... so.

Maybe he's improved enough to where he's the player draftniks thought he would be after his freshman yr. The talent has always been there.

...We're supposed to believe Savage is ready now?...
Dossn't matter. What matters is wherher OB and his assistants believe he is ready.
... No one has any more of a clue of what he can do than any of these draft prospects...
O'Brian had better know. His job may be on the line.

Prescott had an early opportunity, took asvantage of it and made good. Savage had setbacks but now he has his opportunity.

As fans and observers all we can do is hope he comes through as well as Prescott.

Dossn't matter. What matters is wherher OB and his assistants believe he is ready. O'Brian had better know. His job may be on the line.

Prescott had an early opportunity, took asvantage of it and made good. Savage had setbacks but now he has his opportunity.

As fans and observers all we can do is hope he comes through as well as Prescott.

BOB's job is on the line and the schedule is a lot tougher. I believe that BOB wanted to start Savage from the beginning last yr. Hope BOB's right.

Maybe I'm just crazy. I understand the importance of the QB position, trust me. But I just don't see it at all with these guys. We're in the market for a QB and I think that's causing fans to fall in love with QBs that really aren't all that. Star struck by potential because of what we have (and don't have) on the roster.

Barring trades, I have Trubisky going 12 and Watson going 27. That's it.

With trades, I think 10, 11, 24, 25, 26, and 32 are all prime spots to trade.

I could see a trade landing Trubisky at 10 or 11. A trade could get Watson at 24, 25, or 26. And I could also see someone trading into 32 for Mahomes.

Who knows? Maybe I'll be spectacularly wrong. But I look at the talent in this class and then look at the QBs and I see zero chance that three of them are off the board before 25.

Back