Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What will the O look like for the rest of the season?

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Now all of the receivers are on the trading block. Lol yeah let’s take the weapons away from the kid again. This is the epitome of dysfunction lol
TB74....I'm not sure the boys can get out of this mess of a season with the teams defense. I've seen enough in the 2 games since OB got the boot up side his arse to feel comfortable with finally trying to set the team up around Watson.

Texans as a whole is a poor assembly of professional athletes but as individual entities, these guys could be pretty decent assets within a far better organization/team.

One thing we all know, team is cap hail, short on picks, and short on talent. If I could send off 5-7 assets for picks and players....I'd do it now. Then I'd scour PS's around the NFL to find players who somehow managed to stick with their teams via PS and got to play football during the week.....and use that as an unfair Rule 5 like draft. Might find a gem in the process who jumped at the opportunity to start versus being buried on the PS.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Then I'd scour PS's around the NFL to find players who somehow managed to stick with their teams via PS and got to play football during the week.....and use that as an unfair Rule 5 like draft. Might find a gem in the process who jumped at the opportunity to start versus being buried on the PS.
One problem with that is that the players have to want to join your team. They could always refuse to sign with you. The Texans not a very enticing place to be right now

Texansballer74

The Marine
TB74....I'm not sure the boys can get out of this mess of a season with the teams defense. I've seen enough in the 2 games since OB got the boot up side his arse to feel comfortable with finally trying to set the team up around Watson.

Texans as a whole is a poor assembly of professional athletes but as individual entities, these guys could be pretty decent assets within a far better organization/team.

One thing we all know, team is cap hail, short on picks, and short on talent. If I could send off 5-7 assets for picks and players....I'd do it now. Then I'd scour PS's around the NFL to find players who somehow managed to stick with their teams via PS and got to play football during the week.....and use that as an unfair Rule 5 like draft. Might find a gem in the process who jumped at the opportunity to start versus being buried on the PS.

I surely hope so. I just hope we keep at least two of these receivers. That way the chemistry would be there between them and Watson. I also believe every quarterback needs a stud at the receiver position as well.

Man the next GM and Coach will have their hands full. I just hope we’re not going to go through what Washington went through with RG3.

OptimisticTexan

I surely hope so. I just hope we keep at least two of these receivers. That way the chemistry would be there between them and Watson. I also believe every quarterback needs a stud at the receiver position as well.

Man the next GM and Coach will have their hands full. I just hope we’re not going to go through what Washington went through with RG3.
Man, I wanted the Texans to sign WR- Marquez Callaway (Tennessee) as an UDFA.....guess who is enjoying his services at the moment? New Orleans got him some reps on offense and he caught 4 of 6 passes for 34 yards and really opened eyes as the Punt and KO return man. He did this as a Vol and had 4 Returns for TD's. 6'-2" @ 207 lbs and fast. They said he had a crazy catch radius and great hands. I looked at him as a poor man's Hopkins. I was hoping he was still on the Saints PS but he's already been promoted and making the best of his opportunity. Texans talent evaluators missed out on a solid UDFA who might wind up being like another TN UDFA.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
If I could send off 5-7 assets for picks and players....I'd do it now.
I'd definitely start putting out feelers. But we've got two more games before the trade deadline. If we're 3-5 at that point & headed in the right direction, I may hold off.

Losing is for losers. I wouldn't do anything right now to hurt my teams chance of winning.

I know some of us have already given up on this season & next, but I'm just not there

yet.

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club
I'd definitely start putting out feelers. But we've got two more games before the trade deadline. If we're 3-5 at that point & headed in the right direction, I may hold off.

Losing is for losers. I wouldn't do anything right now to hurt my teams chance of winning.

I know some of us have already given up on this season & next, but I'm just not there

yet.
IF we trade guys I want to see a good return. No more BOB getting taken to the wood shed trades

banned1976

sleeper mode

yet.
What do you think their record the rest of the way has to be in order to have a chance at a playoff birth? 7-3 would put them at 8-8 for the season. Even with the additional playoff spot this year I don't think 8-8 gets you there. So that brings us to an 8-2 finish the rest of the way. The rest of the schedule:

Packers
@Jacksonville
@Cleveland
New England
@Detroit
Indy
@Bears
@Indy
Cinci
Tenn

I don't see 8 wins in that schedule for the Texans. I honestly don't see 7 wins. Maybe a 6 win record is more respectable than 4-12 or something like that. But at what cost? The longer you drag Watt, Will Fuller and the rest of your valuable assets along for a mediocre, non-playoff season the more the risk you take of one or multiple guys getting injured. Then they're worth close to nothing. If Watt has another back injury or Fuller has another hamstring issue, you've just lost value for nothing.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
What do you think their record the rest of the way has to be in order to have a chance at a playoff birth?
I think we'll need to finish 8-2. If we beat Green Bay our chances of doing that go up exponentially.

9-7 should get us in the playoffs.

If we had a 1st or 2nd round pick I'd consider selling off now. Without either, it's play offs or bust for me.

mws

Rookie
I would like to offense to abandon this blocking technique. Why can't they just motion the TE instead of having him try to block a blitzer this way? Here is Fells missing another block. For a minute there, I thought Johnson might have injured Howard's knee.

Found this on your link from Rivers McCown.

Per SIS, out of 35 running backs with at least 50 carries this year, David Johnson ranks 30th in yards after contact (1.8) and 32nd in broken tackle rate (8.0%)

He has the third-most carries of any back on inside runs (51) and is 33rd in yards per carry on inside runs (2.9).

As Jed Clampett would say, "Pitiful... just pitiful"

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I would like the offense to abandon this blocking technique. Why can't they just motion the TE instead of having him try to block a blitzer this way? Here is Fells missing another block. For a minute there, I thought Johnson might have injured Howard's knee.

The principal of that is sound , they have created a numbers advantage on the play side of this. There's a hat on a hat everywhere on the right side with a double team in the middle set up for Martin to take the 2nd level defender - That's set up for a solid gain.

The execution leaves a lot to be desired ... It's easy to blame Fells but this one's probably on Tunsil as the defender is in the backfield before Fells clears the right guard. He's got to chip that guy on his way to the second level defender.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
The execution leaves a lot to be desired ... It's easy to blame Fells but this one's probably on Tunsil as the defender is in the backfield before Fells clears the right guard. He's got to chip that guy on his way to the second level defender.
On these types of plays the backside blocker is normally left untouched. The TE generally gets there before the defender gets to the RB. Sort of like the “wham” block.

This time the defender anticipates & jumps on it before Fells can get there.

Formation may be the biggest issue here as I normally see this with the QB under center. From the gun, the timing is way off. Look how the line moves a full second before Duke does.

If the QB was under center he would start the same time the line does & would be a step away from the defender & closer to Fells before the defender is in the backfield.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
The principal of that is sound , they have created a numbers advantage on the play side of this. There's a hat on a hat everywhere on the right side with a double team in the middle set up for Martin to take the 2nd level defender - That's set up for a solid gain.

Something is definitely wrong with the formation and execution because I can recall Ryan Griffin executing this same block and either whiffing on the block like Fells or not even getting to the defender.

If the TEs cannot consistently execute that block, at what point do you change the formation or send them in motion?

EDIT: To @Corrosion's point. It appears the LT is also at fault which makes this even worse. Texans have new LT and TEs and the execution is still terrible.

Last edited:

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I would like the offense to abandon this blocking technique. Why can't they just motion the TE instead of having him try to block a blitzer this way? Here is Fells missing another block. For a minute there, I thought Johnson might have injured Howard's knee.

Would make more sense to run the Slice play in this article, with the RB on the other side of Watson.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
EDIT: To @Corrosion's point. It appears the LT is also at fault which makes this even worse. Texans have new LT and TEs and the execution is still terrible.
That is one solution. But I wouldn't say the LT is at fault here as we don't know what his assignment was. It's possible he was told to chip that blitzer. It's just as possible he was told to go immediately to the second level.

We do know the TE was supposed to come over & make that block. We also see it was beyond his ability. They probably practiced it a hundred times & it worked 99 times against our defense. However after watching film, before I call this play again, I'd move the TE to the HBack spot left of the QB. Then maybe he'll be able to execute the block on time without the LT compromising his 2nd level block (which all our OL need to get better at).

Another thing, just from watching that clip, Fells probably tipped off the defender the way he was eyeballing him before the snap. That's got to be corrected as well.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
On these types of plays the backside blocker is normally left untouched. The TE generally gets there before the defender gets to the RB. Sort of like the “wham” block.

This time the defender anticipates & jumps on it before Fells can get there.

Formation may be the biggest issue here as I normally see this with the QB under center. From the gun, the timing is way off. Look how the line moves a full second before Duke does.

If the QB was under center he would start the same time the line does & would be a step away from the defender & closer to Fells before the defender is in the backfield.
If the backside blocker was meant to go untouched, then this design was dead from the start. Just by mere proximity, the DE is closer to Duke than Fells. There's no way a TE can win that race.

Two things, that may have went wrong here, that make sense to me.

1. Tunsil was supposed to chip his guy.
2. Watson was supposed to read the DE crashing to the RB and keep it.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
If the backside blocker was meant to go untouched, then this design was dead from the start. Just by mere proximity, the DE is closer to Duke than Fells. There's no way a TE can win that race.

Or Watson called the snap a beat too early

76Texan

Hall of Fame

Agree, that play was dead from the start.
It should at least be a zone read where the QB has the option to keep the ball.
I don't think it was a zone read on this particular play.
Watson had run that play at Clemson, and I think I've seen the Texans running it too; he would have handled it differently.

Another thing that could help is to have the TE in motion right to left, back to right, and back to left again so that he has a head start.
I've seen the Texans send the TE in motion like that before.

OptimisticTexan

Something is definitely wrong with the formation and execution because I can recall Ryan Griffin executing this same block and either whiffing on the block like Fells or not even getting to the defender.

If the TEs cannot consistently execute that block, at what point do you change the formation or send them in motion?

Then you must go to the common denominator......say hello Devlin.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
Help me understand this. You're David Johnson. Read your blocks. Where do you go?

View attachment 6894

View attachment 6895

View attachment 6896

View attachment 6897
Obviously we don't know the actual call, but this is where great vision from a RB comes into play. You need to find the lane or crease and hit it, especially when you are at the goal line or other short yardage situation. To me this is poor vision OR poor coaching. No idea the truth because we don't see practice every day or know the actual play calls

Attachments

Texansballer74

The Marine
Obviously we don't know the actual call, but this is where great vision from a RB comes into play. You need to find the lane or crease and hit it, especially when you are at the goal line or other short yardage situation. To me this is poor vision OR poor coaching. No idea the truth because we don't see practice every day or know the actual play calls
Man that’s poor vision all the way. Any other RB would’ve seen that and scored.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
That is one solution. But I wouldn't say the LT is at fault here as we don't know what his assignment was. It's possible he was told to chip that blitzer. It's just as possible he was told to go immediately to the second level.

We do know the TE was supposed to come over & make that block. We also see it was beyond his ability. They probably practiced it a hundred times & it worked 99 times against our defense. However after watching film, before I call this play again, I'd move the TE to the HBack spot left of the QB. Then maybe he'll be able to execute the block on time without the LT compromising his 2nd level block (which all our OL need to get better at).

Another thing, just from watching that clip, Fells probably tipped off the defender the way he was eyeballing him before the snap. That's got to be corrected as well.

You move him to the other side and it likely changes the defensive set that they were attempting to take advantage of - and aside from that block , they set it up well for a huge gain.
@dream_team makes the same conclusion I originally did below ... the distance both have to cover , the defender has a short corner.

Tunsil interrupts that guy for a split second and this play has a dramatically different outcome.

That's exactly why I thought the mistake was Tunsil's ....

I'm not sure Watson keeping it is even an option , he's likely sacked if he does and at minimum has to throw it away.