Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What will the O look like for the rest of the season?

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Here is Cobb again talking about what the offense can do different when O'Brien was still the HC.

"Cobb explained that some of the concepts the offense currently utilizes entail more of a “down-the-field kind of ‘shot’ mentality.” He recognized that this becomes “a little bit harder if we can’t hold up up front to be able to make some of those plays happen down the field.” (In other words, ask the offensive line.)

And so the focus may need to be breaking off short routes when teams blitz, in the hopes go giving Watson a target more quickly, especially when he’s being blitzed."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/randall-cob-on-limiting-qb-hits-e2-80-9cthat-e2-80-99s-more-of-a-question-for-our-offensive-line-e2-80-9d/ar-BB19CGiv
This was exactly what I've been saying.
Too many long developing plays (in the first three games) that require the Oline to hold and they're not good enough for that.
They needed more shorter route combos, quick hitting plays (which we saw more of in the last game).

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Too many long developing plays (in the first three games) that require the Oline to hold and they're not good enough for that.
They needed more shorter route combos, quick hitting plays (which we saw more of in the last game).
but as a few of us have pointed out, there have been shorter routes in most of the plays, DW4 just has to do a better job of getting to them.....at times. You can’t always depend on the scheme and playcalling to do it for you.

hopefully with a quicker pace and more empty formations we will see DW4 take them more.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
but as a few of us have pointed out, there have been shorter routes in most of the plays, DW4 just has to do a better job of getting to them.....at times. You can’t always depend on the scheme and playcalling to do it for you.

hopefully with a quicker pace and more empty formations we will see DW4 take them more.
I'll listen to Cobb before I'll listen to you guys; sorry.

Of course you can't always depend on the scheme and play calling, but when the game plan is drawn up in a certain way, that is the way the players are expected to execute.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

Mr teX

Hall of Fame

Of course you can't always depend on the scheme and play calling, but when the game plan is drawn up in a certain way, that is the way the players are expected to execute.
Lol, I don’t think that’s saying what you think it’s saying. All he said is I’m doing everything I can to be there for him on hot routes and blitzes, but when we do take shots the o-line needs to be able to hold up.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Several keyed in on this major point. It was hammered in by myself, you and several others. Only a select few pretty much disagreed by saying Watson is holding onto the ball too long.

Texansballer74

The Marine

Cecil Short said pretty much the same thing. What goes against Tex’s theory, “ Watson was in the top 5 in the dink donk passing game”.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Cecil Short said pretty much the same thing. What goes against Tex’s theory, “ Watson was in the top 5 in the dink donk passing game”.
How does that go against my “theory”? Lol, if anything it proves it and means he should be doing it more. And what you and others are talking about with calling sound silly. He shouldn’t be relying on the playcall to do it more.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Lol, I don’t think that’s saying what you think it’s saying. All he said is I’m doing everything I can to be there for him on hot routes and blitzes, but when we do take shots the o-line needs to be able to hold up.
I don't know how it can be more clear:

"Cobb explained that some of the concepts the offense currently utilizes entail more of a “down-the-field kind of ‘shot’ mentality.”

“I think the more that we can install some quick game into our offense and be able to get the ball out of his hands quick and let some of the playmakers that he has around him be able to make some plays, I think the better we’ll be."

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Still looks like reporters using Cobb's words to say something he didn't say.

Look, I think BO'bs approach to offense is jacked. I just don't think those answers from Cobb, who is trying to learn our offense, is proof.
One thing you can do is go watch some Cowboys game and see how Kellen Moore calls the plays.
Cobb was there last year; he played in that scheme.

You will see that Moore's approach to the game is totally different, and it's one of the main reasons why the Cowboys were able to run about 15 more plays on average than the Texans.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
One thing you can do is go watch some Cowboys game and see how Kellen Moore calls the plays.
Cobb was there last year; he played in that scheme.

You will see that Moore's approach to the game is totally different, and it's one of the main reasons why the Cowboys were able to run about 15 more plays on average than the Texans.
Yeah and their offense routinely goes dormant for quarters at a time just like the Texans’. Just last week against the Browns they didn’t do **** for the 2nd and 3rd quarters....and then exploded in the 4th when the Browns let their foot off the gas. The numbers Dak has been putting up..the points they’ve been scoring...largely misleads people like you to think that their offense is good.

The extra plays come from running uptempo trying to catch up.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I don't know how it can be more clear:

"Cobb explained that some of the concepts the offense currently utilizes entail more of a “down-the-field kind of ‘shot’ mentality.”

“I think the more that we can install some quick game into our offense and be able to get the ball out of his hands quick and let some of the playmakers that he has around him be able to make some plays, I think the better we’ll be."
That may not be referencing playcalling though. He could simply be talking about changing how DW4 reads the route tree on plays..i.e. changing his read progressions up from long to short to short to long and force him to look short 1st.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Yeah and their offense routinely goes dormant for quarters at a time just like the Texans’. Just last week against the Browns they didn’t do **** for the 2nd and 3rd quarters....and then exploded in the 4th when the Browns let their foot off the gas. The numbers Dak has been putting up..the points they’ve been scoring...largely misleads people like you to think that their offense is good.

That was just one game against the Browns.

You really ought to fact check the things you claim, you know.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Still looks like reporters using Cobb's words to say something he didn't say.

Look, I think BO'bs approach to offense is jacked. I just don't think those answers from Cobb, who is trying to learn our offense, is proof.
Also the 15 more plays by the Cowboys was last year.

This year, they've been running on average 21 more plays than the Texans.

309 vs 224 through 4 games.

Texansballer74

The Marine
How does that go against my “theory”? Lol, if anything it proves it and means he should be doing it more. And what you and others are talking about with calling sound silly. He shouldn’t be relying on the playcall to do it more.
These players actually played in this system and not you sir. So one would think they might just know what’s actually going on since they’re on the inside and not the outside looking in.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
That was just one game against the Browns.

You really ought to fact check the things you claim, you know.
Its pretty ROUTINE with them...2 out of 4 of their games this year they’ve gone scoreless in 2 quarters of a game. I lurk on enough Cowboys messageboards and watch enough of their games to have a pretty good idea.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
These players actually played in this system and not you sir. So one would think they might just know what’s actually going on since they’re on the inside and not the outside looking in.
What you quoted Cecil saying still has no bearing on anything bro. It’s pretty much irrelevant honestly.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Its pretty ROUTINE with them...2 out of 4 of their games this year they’ve gone scoreless in 2 quarters of a game. I lurk on enough Cowboys messageboards and watch enough of their games to have a pretty good idea.
Well, I have their games saved on my PC; I get them condensed games from TenYard Torrents.
Want to watch them? :ahhaha:

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Watching Andy Reid’s former great offensive minded protege Matt Nagy and this EXPLOSIVE Chicago offense right now... They got a whole 17 points thru 3.6 quarters with a SB winning QB at the helm.

That great, creative playcalling making a huge difference for them!

76Texan

Hall of Fame

You know, I seem to recall a team that was behind a lot this year, and they still run behind the butt of their Center a lot.
:corrosion:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Neither were the Vikings.
The Vikings were running the ball well & scored 30 pts twice before playing us. They played Indy's defense & were exposed.

We don't have Indy's defense. & our defense is susceptible to a healthy run game, which they have & so does Jacksonville.

We believe we're as talented as Minnesota, didn't show up on Sunday.

We believe we're more talented than Jacksonville. We'll see Sunday. They've scored 25+ three out of four games this season. We haven't scored 25 yet.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
The Vikings were running the ball well & scored 30 pts twice before playing us. They played Indy's defense & were exposed.

We don't have Indy's defense. & our defense is susceptible to a healthy run game, which they have & so does Jacksonville.

We believe we're as talented as Minnesota, didn't show up on Sunday.

We believe we're more talented than Jacksonville. We'll see Sunday. They've scored 25+ three out of four games this season. We haven't scored 25 yet.
sounds like the minnesota OC is doing a good job, at least

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
No. 3 in points scored, no. 1 in yard gained.
Where does OB's team rank?
Yep and they were high on the offensive ranks with all that last year under a different HC and finished what, 8-8?

You’re missing the Forest for the trees like you always have dude. All that offense is fools gold in much the same way the Jags and Blake Bortles were in those 2015 and 2016 seasons when he put up numbers. Had fans thinking he was a player....oops.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Yep and they were high on the offensive ranks with all that last year under a different HC and finished what, 8-8?

You’re missing the Forest for the trees like you always have dude. All that offense is fools gold in much the same way the Jags and Blake Bortles were in those 2015 and 2016 seasons when he put up numbers. Had fans thinking he was a player....oops.
You can be crazy at times.
If that team has just the D the Texans had (which doesn't mean much), they'd be contending.
Look up their points scored in the first quarter, first half, and through 3 quarters and compare them to the Texans.
Just trying to comparr Bortles to Prescott is already laughable.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
That may not be referencing playcalling though. He could simply be talking about changing how DW4 reads the route tree on plays..i.e. changing his read progressions up from long to short to short to long and force him to look short 1st.

Its pretty much standard issue to read deep to short - that's what you area taught from the beginning with a few exceptions like when you know the heat is on - even on screens there is usually a deep option that's the first look.
What Watson has to do is get off those deep routes faster - before things break down and he's forced to rely upon his ability to escape , take the easy throw and move the sticks.

He could also manipulate safeties / DB's better - That's all but non-existent in his repertoire. He's looking where he's throwing .... no pump fakes , no eye manipulation.

KarlK

Waterboy
Then what do they do when opposing DCs know that's exactly what the Texans want and need to do, and scheme to prevent it? Serious question.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Then what do they do when opposing DCs know that's exactly what the Texans want and need to do, and scheme to prevent it? Serious question.
Watch the Cowboys offense.
They hit with short passes, mixed in with screens, all kind of quick strikes, a run here and there. When they feel they have a match up they like, boom, they go for it, sometimes with play action, sometimes with a boot leg.
Stay away from third and long.
Don't even draw up deep route combos on third and 15.
You can show a couple of receivers running the deep routes, but look for a 10 yard strike and let the receiver try to do the rest.
If he doesn't make it, just punt.
If you're way behind, go for the rest on 4th down.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
If you absolutely have to go for it, stay in max protect or design a better blocking scheme.
There will be a double team most everywhere any way.
You need to make sure your QB gets a little time to pick out the best shot he thinks he can take.

I've seen the Packers do it on a similar play to the INT we all were talking about.
They didn't release the 4th and 5th man until late. (The RB and the TE).
if they are supposed to be the last two reads, there's no need to release them early.
Secure the block first.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Here, look how the Chiefs do it on third and 15

TE secured the block and then ran a medium route.
RB with a chip block to help the LT before running his route to the flat.
Mahomes got a little over 3 seconds to make that throw.