Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What will the O look like for the rest of the season?

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
How much can be put in place in season?

The offensive concept seems awful this year, in seeing lots of clips of ALL the receivers in the same area of the field, ALL the receivers at the same depth etc. The run game is non existent. Watson doesn’t have the ability to take off.

Can Kelly put in a spread concept and get Watson some quick throws with the option to take off? Or is that too much to put in during the season.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
TBH, I don't think it will look much different. Kelly is still a BOB disciple, and it's really difficult to make drastic changes in-season.

With that being said, this is Kelly's chance if he wants to make a mark in this league. If he wants another OC job, this is his chance of showing what he can do. I think Romeo will be pretty hands off from the offense POV.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Hopefully they work on dynamics simply because this becomes a sort of an auditioning season for many of these guys.

We will see what this system can offer with Watson now that O'Brien is no longer calling the shots.

I swear, though, if we see Kelly running it up the gut on 3rd & 15. . . :foottap: lol

Texansballer74

The Marine
It was stated that after practicing a certain game plan throughout the week, on that Friday Bill Obrien would change the plan. I believe we will see a much improved offense. No more of these very lethargic starts, no more dives up the middle. We'll see some misdirection, rub routes, bunch Formations, high octane RPO'S and Watson designed runs. They will be very explosive but will carve teams up with the quick passing game.

Hey a fan can only hope right lol

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Kelly has been with OB since 2012. I’m not sure the guy knows anything other than OB’s way, so I don’t know if there’s much change.

There is the possibility he had ideas that never met with approval from OB, and now he’ll get to implement those ideas. So there’s that.

If Kelly isn’t such a hard ass square peg round hole guy, and can find ways to actually to take advantage of the talent he has instead of stifling it, we might be treated to a real looking NFL offense for a change.

Still gonna have their o-line issues though.

I do expect the Texans to have a little more pep in their step Sunday.

corytx8

Rookie
I am not expecting good results but wouldn’t surprise me if you see better results. Something tells it was BOB way or the highway this entire time and now Kelly will have an opportunity to open up the offense without pushback.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
I think the best we can hope for is that Kelly has a more aggressive nature, opposed to BOB's conservative & patient approach.

Conservative & patient worked well when we had a good defense, but that won't fly now.

I think if the offense can somehow get off to better starts, jump out to leads, the defense will do better at protecting leads... rather than forced to stop the run and pressured to get 3 & outs.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
I think a lot of posters her are under estimating the **** system OB created here. The guy lost his way big time. I do not expect us to be a totally different team, but I do think you will see Watson revert back to his loose style and not afraid of using his legs. I can only imagine how OB grilled into him for taking those hits a few years back and yelling at him to stop running, after all, that is how OB coaches...he yells and stomps his feet Until you to listen. It clearly grinded on the players and it exploded the past week leading to OBs demise. I anticipate Watson will be playing totally different, but with limitations up front still.

OB made it clear as day in his interviews and when he was mic’d up. He wanted to run, run and run more, then hit you deep. That was exactly what you saw on game day with his play calling and route combinations. Tex and Steel constantly say it’s our players faults, and 3-5% play calling (or whatever ridiculous % he threw out there), but it’s flat out wrong. McVay and Goff Are the perfect example Of what **** coaching vs great coaching can do. Watson is more talented and versatile than Goff. Pair him with someone who can utilize his skill set and has a system that is proven to work in today’s NFL, and see what happens. OB did nothing to warrant the job in the first place and certainly did not do enough to keep it as long as he did.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I think a lot of posters her are under estimating the **** system OB created here. The guy lost his way big time. I do not expect us to be a totally different team, but I do think you will see Watson revert back to his loose style and not afraid of using his legs. I can only imagine how OB grilled into him for taking those hits a few years back and yelling at him to stop running, after all, that is how OB coaches...he yells and stomps his feet Until you to listen. It clearly grinded on the players and it exploded the past week leading to OBs demise. I anticipate Watson will be playing totally different, but with limitations up front still.

OB made it clear as day in his interviews and when he was mic’d up. He wanted to run, run and run more, then hit you deep. That was exactly what you saw on game day with his play calling and route combinations. Tex and Steel constantly say it’s our players faults, and 3-5% play calling (or whatever ridiculous % he threw out there), but it’s flat out wrong. McVay and Goff Are the perfect example Of what **** coaching vs great coaching can do. Watson is more talented and versatile than Goff. Pair him with someone who can utilize his skill set and has a system that is proven to work in today’s NFL, and see what happens. OB did nothing to warrant the job in the first place and certainly did not do enough to keep it as long as he did.
I thought I read somewhere that Watson is going to call play, but I can't find it now so I can't verify it.
I was only thinking that he meant he'll have more inputs in the game planning process, which isn't surprising at all now that OB is gone.

You or anybody hear anything of that nature?

amazing80

Hall of Fame
I thought I read somewhere that Watson is going to call play, but I can't find it now so I can't verify it.
I was only thinking that he meant he'll have more inputs in the game planning process, which isn't surprising at all now that OB is gone.

You or anybody hear anything of that nature?
Doc posted that he heard from a reliable source that Watson wanted to call his plays. I don’t know the context of the conversation, but it could mean a wide range of things. I do think a good QB/OC relationship would allow for a QB to input his opinion into the game plan.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I mentioned on another post......just have Kelly and Watson go back to the playbook they used in Watson's first 6 games as a rookie. DC's will have forgotten all about that old offense and will certainly expect Kelly to be running OB's tried, true, and failing offense. It'll be just as lethal the second time around as it was the first time b/c the OL is actually far superior to that other OL. There's also better TE's and faster receivers. Yes, that should be the approach and the ultimate surprise. 49 pts this weekend....I hope.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
They should look better this week. They're playing the Jags and not the Steelers/Ravens/Steelers defenses. Also they should look better against the Titans. DW4 breaks his 9 game streak of subpar play.

If their defenses are healthy they will struggle with the Packers/Bears/Pats and 2 games against the Colts.

We can open the offense a little, dinky and dunky Wantson runny a little.

Pad the time of posession that way.

Something new on offense beside run run pass. Don't go to crazy cause we dont want the franchise QB hurt.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I'm hoping that all parties involved in game planning and play calling will throw caution to the wind and at least make games entertaining. Blitz the **** out of em on D and, regardless of personnel in the game, spread em out on O. I would like to see 22 personnel in a spread formation. WTF is the point of all these "receiving" RBs if they aren't used to dictate mismatches with the D?

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Most everyone on this staff was there when OB modified his playbook to help Watson when he played his first 6 games as a rookie. Simply get the offensive minds on the team together and bring this offense back as it was while adding a few new twists to make it even more interesting.

This team needs a major blowout victory to heal the crap OB put on this team. I could see a massive blowout changing the teams psyche and fortunately......the Jags are the first team up. This would be good for the fans as well.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I think it will look very good actually. For 3 reasons. Schematically it won’t look much different than what we’ve been running when BoB was here but 1, Kelly and DW4 will be the primary architects of the gameplan & they will be much more aggressive.
2...there will be much more life in the guys. After all, they are still competitive and will want to prove what everyone has been saying about them being done (DJ31, Cooks) overrated and/or not good enough (DW4, Fuller) wrong. We will see much more uptempo & that will probably be the biggest change that will help everything.

The 3rd reason is b/c we will playing the Jags and they aren’t very good.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Most everyone on this staff was there when OB modified his playbook to help Watson when he played his first 6 games as a rookie. Simply get the offensive minds on the team together and bring this offense back as it was while adding a few new twists to make it even more interesting.

This team needs a major blowout victory to heal the crap OB put on this team. I could see a massive blowout changing the teams psyche and fortunately......the Jags are the first team up. This would be good for the fans as well.
Those 1st 6 games.....people gotta understand that teams did not have film on him then and had not yet countered and adjusted to his tendencies. So what was going on in that time had more to do with defenses than any major tweaks to playcalling and scheme.

All that being said, the offense can still be much improved than where it is now with just a few minor tweaks and improved qb play.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
After
I used to have a personal rule not to chew out the players harshly on game day.
It was getting harder and harder under OB.
I need to get that mojo back. :ahhaha: :fans:
living under Stalin's, I mean O'Brien's regime, I think the players will come out with some extra energy and better execution. Pun intended.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
The one good thing is at this point the players and coaches have nothing to lose so they can be very aggressive. The remaining coaches are most likely gone when a new HC is hired so they are trying to show their next team what they can do and most of the players are either locked in or most likely short term with the team.

I’m honestly not expecting a lot of wins because it is a tough schedule, off season was non-existent, and good or bad decision things are always chaotic when the boss is fired. Hoping they win enough to make Miami choke on the picks they got or at least have some exciting games even if they lose.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I am not positive O'Briens offense is bad just the way he selected plays and then seemed to hunker down towards end of game. I am also concerned about defense as I doubt Bill called many of their plays. What is RAC gonna do for defense that he should have already done?
Yes hopefully more scoring will help keep some pressure off D. A good run game but what about a good stop the run game?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I am not positive O'Briens offense is bad just the way he selected plays
Amen & amen.

I hope the days of stop doing what works & doing more of what doesn't work are over.

All that motion preSnap that caused defensive confusion... would be nice to see that again.

I am also concerned about defense as I doubt Bill called many of their plays.
I think if we can stay on the field, eat the clock, our defense will be good enough & allow us to win 50 point o/u games.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
If you go 3-4 WRs don't have them all running the same thing (5yrd slants for example) use levels. The TE should have a few more catches and use the screen. Johnson is a nightmare catching the ball... but if you only run him he is one dimensional. I am pretty sure he can play well with the right mix. OB didn't get that and used him as a runner and in odd situations too. The NE/WC attack works if you actually use it as it is meant. OB only got it right 1/4th of the time.

badboy

Hall of Fame
TK , I agree so how does RAC make JOHNSON and Johnson run better? How does he make OLINE block better? RAC and Watt both say fundamentals! Ok but why didn't those two enforce fundamentals the past four years? Another of my concerns.

JJ said he needs to stop trying to do it all which has been a topic on this board about Watson trying to do it all.

This sounds good but...

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
TK , I agree so how does RAC make JOHNSON and Johnson run better? How does he make OLINE block better? RAC and Watt both say fundamentals! Ok but why didn't those two enforce fundamentals the past four years? Another of my concerns.

JJ said he needs to stop trying to do it all which has been a topic on this board about Watson trying to do it all.

This sounds good but...
OB said it all started with fundamentals... He preached it. So if they are still saying that...

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
TK , I agree so how does RAC make JOHNSON and Johnson run better? How does he make OLINE block better? R
David looked like he had some juice in the tank in KC. Something was working there & we stopped doing it.

I wouldn't run at Tuit & Hayward, I'd run at Tuit or Hayward.

I'd do more tosses, sweeps, & pitches to get them on the edges faster. I'd use screens, RB screens two or three times a game minimum. Make sure everybody knows it's on the table so you better watch for it. & if you don't stop it, expect to see it six or seven times

& the draw... I'd use the draw a few times, especially on 2nd down after my 1st down run went for no gain.

Since Baltimore they've been saying we have a run tell. We need to find out what it is & use it to our advantage.

badboy

Hall of Fame
OB said it all started with fundamentals... He preached it. So if they are still saying that...
Yes it does but basics in first grade eventually have to be gotten by the student and move on. Teachers have to be held accountable and so do coaches. Our teachers on offense and defense have not been so. Yes the principal has been fired but players after two years must have fundamentals down.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
Hey I don’t care, this is a whole new season to me.
I’ve stated multiple times I’ll always root for the team to win regardless my thoughts on coaching. But in that moment when Watson has led us down the field twice, having been allowed back into the game by our previous coaches predictable fallibility (everything wrong with my entire time watching this team on display in one single game).
Well when I saw that ball bounce back the tiniest amount as it contacted the ground, that was my moment of weakness.
Joy. Because I felt that this loss might just be the one that meant the O’Brien era was over. I made a point in the “will this be the game you need?” Thread that got deleted for being supposedly off topic, that Kubiak can coach Kirk Cousins to play better than O’Brien can coach Deshaun Watson. And there it was.

Beaten by the last guy who wasn’t good enough.

Also, this season is only a quarter of the way through. Teams are only just beginning to suffer the effects of Covid. Patriots forced to play their backup QB due to Covid when looking like their season could go either way. The division leaders decimated by Covid but likely forced to play a weakened team. Who’s next? Colts get sick at the wrong time and we could be right back in there.

This team had better know that following the protocols is their big opportunity to resurrect their season.

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club
Since Baltimore they've been saying we have a run tell. We need to find out what it is & use it to our advantage.
Maybe because it’s first down.

And it’s not just a run tell, every play develops the same way.

Need to disguise, motion, misdirect, Play action, and a bootleg to keep the defense off balance.

I’m tired of O’Briens vanilla look he’s given this team.

Hopefully that’s the first mindset they tossed.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Maybe because it’s first down.

And it’s not just a run tell, every play develops the same way.

Need to disguise, motion, misdirect, Play action, and a bootleg to keep the defense off balance.

I’m tired of O’Briens vanilla look he’s given this team.

Hopefully that’s the first mindset they tossed.
I seem to remember a 4th down boot pass to Fells that went terribly wrong.

Hey I don’t care, this is a whole new season to me.
I’ve stated multiple times I’ll always root for the team to win regardless my thoughts on coaching. But in that moment when Watson has led us down the field twice, having been allowed back into the game by our previous coaches predictable fallibility (everything wrong with my entire time watching this team on display in one single game).
Well when I saw that ball bounce back the tiniest amount as it contacted the ground, that was my moment of weakness.
Joy. Because I felt that this loss might just be the one that meant the O’Brien era was over. I made a point in the “will this be the game you need?” Thread that got deleted for being supposedly off topic, that Kubiak can coach Kirk Cousins to play better than O’Brien can coach Deshaun Watson. And there it was.

Beaten by the last guy who wasn’t good enough.

Also, this season is only a quarter of the way through. Teams are only just beginning to suffer the effects of Covid. Patriots forced to play their backup QB due to Covid when looking like their season could go either way. The division leaders decimated by Covid but likely forced to play a weakened team. Who’s next? Colts get sick at the wrong time and we could be right back in there.

This team had better know that following the protocols is their big opportunity to resurrect their season.
Cousins has been playing very poorly this yr under Kubiak's direction.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
I am not positive O'Briens offense is bad just the way he selected plays and then seemed to hunker down towards end of game. I am also concerned about defense as I doubt Bill called many of their plays. What is RAC gonna do for defense that he should have already done?
Yes hopefully more scoring will help keep some pressure off D. A good run game but what about a good stop the run game?
No, it was bad. Too many opponents commenting on them knowing exactly what was coming. Very predictable, route tree was horrible, it just wasn’t a good design.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Here is Cobb again talking about what the offense can do different when O'Brien was still the HC.

"Cobb explained that some of the concepts the offense currently utilizes entail more of a “down-the-field kind of ‘shot’ mentality.” He recognized that this becomes “a little bit harder if we can’t hold up up front to be able to make some of those plays happen down the field.” (In other words, ask the offensive line.)

And so the focus may need to be breaking off short routes when teams blitz, in the hopes go giving Watson a target more quickly, especially when he’s being blitzed."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/randall-cob-on-limiting-qb-hits-e2-80-9cthat-e2-80-99s-more-of-a-question-for-our-offensive-line-e2-80-9d/ar-BB19CGiv