Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What type are you?

badboy

Hall of Fame
Ok turn off your comic button; put away here's your sign Jeff Foxworthy; and not your blood type or what you prefer in a relationship.

Are you offensive football or defensive minded? Do you become more focused or excited when one side or other comes on field? To some, it's a game and we cheer a score or good play; to others, it's all about the W or L.

Free agency has peaked, combine over yet next important event a frw days away. Are you a best player available or team needs first? Do you focus on one or two positions in college games as well as NFL?

Have some of us changed from our historical point of view?

I'm defensive minded and position of preference is cornerback.

I prefer an offensive minded head coach and am ok with Ryans and Slowik..
If he brings same or at least closely resembling O to Houston.

Your thoughts?

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
Offensive.

In games, or at war, my mind only travels one track. What offensive weapons and attacks will cause the most amount of damage. In any good castle siege, I am most interested in how we breach the walls and counter the defenses.

My concentration is not on the General and Captain (the HC and OC) who chooses what and where to strike. My focus is on the weaponry (QB, RB, WR and TE). How fast will they strike? How large an explosion? How accurate will they track?

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Ok turn off your comic button; put away here's your sign Jeff Foxworthy; and not your blood type or what you prefer in a relationship.

Are you offensive football or defensive minded? Do you become more focused or excited when one side or other comes on field? To some, it's a game and we cheer a score or good play; to others, it's all about the W or L.

Free agency has peaked, combine over yet next important event a frw days away. Are you a best player available or team needs first? Do you focus on one or two positions in college games as well as NFL?

Have some of us changed from our historical point of view?

I'm defensive minded and position of preference is cornerback.

I prefer an offensive minded head coach and am ok with Ryans and Slowik..
If he brings same or at least closely resembling O to Houston.

Your thoughts?
It's hard to pick.
I loved it when JJ was on the field - my eyes were always glued on him.
Magic to watch.
I guess it comes down to watching your best player.

I used to prefer defense, because a strong defense could put fear in an opponent before all the rule changes. Now I roll with offense.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Offense, defense, I don't care. It's who has more points at the end of 60 minutes that's important, and that can come from many different things, including coaching, the players and the GM who gets the players and coaches.

Mangler

Toro de España
Having played Pop Warner and all the way through high school football as a RB and Receiver, I can’t help but gravitate towards the offensive side of the ball. Now don’t get me wrong, I also love watching good defenses go to work but the offense is what gets me amped up!

Mangler

Toro de España
I wish I grew up wanting to be a long snapper and really dedicated the time and effort needed to perfect that craft. Could have had a long NFL career!
Hell, I wish I would have been interested in becoming a kicker. I probably wouldn’t be having all this damn knee and lower back pain now that I’m in my late 30s.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
Holistic football fan. Soup to nuts.

From college through the draft through free agency, offense and defense and special teams, the history of the game, even a little bit of high school.

About the only things I don't care for are at all are the preseason, spring leagues, Mike Florio, and that NFL Live show on espn.

Texansballer74

The Marine
I’m more of an defensive guy since I played SS and WLB way back in the day. But I love the offensive side of the ball too.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
I like it all. I love watching a dominant offense and I love watching a dominant defense. You've got to score points to win, but you've also got to keep the other team from scoring more than you.

I trust defensive oriented HCs a little more because, from my experience, they're generally better with clock management than offensive head coaches are. I'm not saying that across the board. There are examples of bad clock management both ways and defensive HCs can get too conservative.

Pre-snap, I usually check the CBs and safeties to see what they're saying they're going to do. At the snap, I like to watch the lines.

For the draft, I'm generally a BPA guy. I will consider positions of need, but I don't want it to dictate the draft.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I like the game. I like to see it as a chess match. The strategy & all. Peyton Manning is still my favorite player of all time. Loved watching him test defenses, figure them out, then exploit their weaknesses.

I loved watching Belichick’s defenses take away a team’s identity & force them try something else.

I loved watching Ray Lewis & Troy Polamalu wreck offenses, intimidate QBs, then offenses scheme around them.

I used to watch a lot of football. As many games as I could, even DVR’d some games to watch at a later time. I used to watch a Texans game 3 times, minimum.

But now, not so much. I don’t have the time really, or the want to, to make the time.

I don’t watch college, don’t believe the hype. I’m more concerned about the position they draft & how I think it fits team needs. RB, LB, DB… if it makes sense I like it. If you guys are excited about a guy the Texans drafted I’m excited about a guy the Texans drafted.

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
I like the game. I like to see it as a chess match. The strategy & all. Peyton Manning is still my favorite player of all time. Loved watching him test defenses, figure them out, then exploit their weaknesses.

I loved watching Belichick’s defenses take away a team’s identity & force them try something else.

I loved watching Ray Lewis & Troy Polamalu wreck offenses, intimidate QBs, then offenses scheme around them.

I used to watch a lot of football. As many games as I could, even DVR’d some games to watch at a later time. I used to watch a Texans game 3 times, minimum.

But now, not so much. I don’t have the time really, or the want to, to make the time.

I don’t watch college, don’t believe the hype. I’m more concerned about the position they draft & how I think it fits team needs. RB, LB, DB… if it makes sense I like it. If you guys are excited about a guy the Texans drafted I’m excited about a guy the Texans drafted.

Uh Huh .... I'll buy it .... but it makes even me pucker at the thought of SteelBlue's reaction !!

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
I’m more likely to wait to use the bathroom til after an offensive possession than a defensive one so I guess that means I lean offense. Not sure though.
Come to think of it, at the stadium when I'd go to the restroom it would always be after an offensive possession. And that's how I missed the JJ pick 6 against Cincy, so......

I like good football. That means on both sides. The NFL is so geared towards offense now that it's hard for defenses to really dominate, but man, when they do that's some good stuff. I mean every penalty against the defense is an automatic 1st down except offsides. That's tough.

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
Yes, we all change and grow over time, including our views and outlook on the world. This is a natural process, and it can happen slowly or quickly, depending on our experiences and circumstances.

For some reason, I hear that spoken in a soft, highly educated German voice.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
I like aggressive football, a D that smashes you in the mouth and turns the ball over, makes big plays, and a offense with an identity that can sling it or smash it, either one. I am tired of the bland bend don't break defense and a possession that ends in a kick is a good possession football. DR, please save me

Texansballer74

The Marine
Oh and I’m a diehard passionate fan. Even though they drive a brother crazy a lot. If I’m working nights, I would still get up at noon to watch their games.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
What @thunderkyss said.
I loved watching the Steel Curtain, except when they played the Oilers. I also loved watching Dan Fouts tear up defenses in the Air Coryell era.
I'm perfectly happy watching shootouts or defensive, low scoring games.
I watch every Texans game on the All-22 at least twice. I focus on safeties and linebackers on D and personnel groupings on offense, looking for pre and post snap movements.
I watch college games when top teams are playing each other. No point in watching Alabama play St. Lucias' School for the Blind.
In the draft, I like BPA. If that's a position of need, great. If not, great. I also like to build from the inside out. Trenches first, then add skill positions. Nothing written in stone though.
I enjoy innovative (not gimmicky), aggressive play calling on both sides of the ball. Andy Reid is an absolute master at this on offense. Belichick is an absolute master of this on defense.

JWTexans

Waterboy
I’m definitely defensive minded. I still adhere to the “defense wins championships” adage and that’ll never stop. I’m preferential to LB (I played OLB through college), and I see the beauty in a 6-3 game. I believe games are won in the trenches, I’ve seen it in the NFL for decades with the Steel Curtain, Purple People Eaters, and the Fearsome Foursome. A top defense will have you in every single game.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Defense. . .if it's competent. I can't stand the frustration of a 3rd and 17, yelling your lungs out, only to see them melt into a soft prevent coverage and give up 18 yards. I hate that with a passion, and we've seen a LOT of that over the years as Texans fans.

I'd say offense if we had Pat Mahomes. But we don't get great QBs in Houston, so yeah, I guess I'll stick to wanting a competent defense. Seems more like a realistic goal.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I can't stand the frustration of a 3rd and 17, yelling your lungs out, only to see them melt into a soft prevent coverage and give up 18 yards
It happens. Part of the game.

It's frustrating the regularity we've come to expect from our team. I'd much rather see the Texans face a 3rd & 1, or a 4th & inches rather than 3rd & 17.

fml

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
I can go either way depending on the flow of the game. I mainly played D in school, DB and LB. I did however also get some time at QB and WR. Really would have to put a lot of thought into it to maybe decide either way

badboy

Hall of Fame
Looking at what we think/hope roster to be this season, which will be more valuable to us this year.. our punter or our kicker?

amazing80

Hall of Fame
Offense, in our heydey, watching them boys run the WCO was like watching poetry in motion. Between AJ running crisp routes, AF gliding through holes, and our OL working in unison, it really had an impact on me.

I do love a good fundamentally sound and aggressive defense. Bend don't break is ******* trash.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
I do love watching a team that can run the ball. That comes from my earliest days of watching football and for years I've always looked at the rushing stats before anything else. I swear If somebody handed the draft card to walk up there and make the #2 pick I'd be half-inclined to just shout out "BIJAN ROBINSON!" and tell them to get a QB later or next year. There's a story in the Chronicle suggesting the Texans take him with the #12 and if he was there then I'd do that too. I like to see a good offense that can run the ball and wear down the other team late in games. Probably not the best path to success in todays league but that's what I like. Defense is awesome too and who doesn't like to see a franchise QB/WR combo pick apart a defense but for me it will always be the running game.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Offense, in our heydey, watching them boys run the WCO was like watching poetry in motion. Between AJ running crisp routes, AF gliding through holes, and our OL working in unison, it really had an impact on me.

I do love a good fundamentally sound and aggressive defense. Bend don't break is ******* trash.
I would love it if the Texans could find another RB like Foster. Finding another AJ will definitely be harder to find.
How great would it be if the Texans draft Robinson this year and Harrison Jr. next year?

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I would love it if the Texans could find another RB like Foster. Finding another AJ will definitely be harder to find.
How great would it be if the Texans draft Robinson this year and Harrison Jr. next year?
There is a WR in this draft that could be a poor man's AJ - Jonathan Mingo.
He has some of the same traits as AJ with almost identical size plus he runs a 4:46 40.
Very strong and doesn't shy away from mixing it with defenders.
Very high on this guy.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Could we as Texans fans be so fortunate?

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
I just like.....competence, creativity, and intelligence.

Style-wise a perfected WCO/motion/movement with a strong, skilled but not dirty defense is what I like. Pass to set up the run, etc. That's the draw of Stroud because I seem to gather he's the most accurate of the QBs?

I prefer games that are like 27-20, 20-17, 24-21, etc. Ridiculous shootouts are almost insufferable to watch on a regular basis cuz there's no prestige to any possession. Though sometimes they have their place. Likewise, you can have games with good offense, good defense, or bad offense or bad defense. Overall, I like game variance. It's why baseball is my favorite sport.

A 13-10 game could be an all-time dog fight or all-time dog ****.

It just depends.

Last edited:

Texansphan

Football connoisseur

Style-wise a perfected WCO/motion/movement with a strong, skilled but not dirty defense is what I like. Pass to set up the run, etc. That's the draw of Stroud because I seem to gather he's the most accurate of the QBs?

I prefer games that are like 27-20, 20-17, 24-21, etc. Ridiculous shootouts are almost insufferable to watch on a regular basis cuz there's no prestige to any possession. Though sometimes they have their place. Likewise, you can have games with good offense, good defense, or bad offense or bad defense. Overall, I like game variance. It's why baseball is my favorite sport.

It just depends.
That's why I admire 49ers defense - and perhaps we can see a version of it here in a couple of years.

badboy

Hall of Fame

It just depends.
for 2022
Stroud 66.3%
Hooker 69.6