Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What is the real problem? Is this really a total rebuild?

Norg

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
with Watson we are never in rebuild mode its just retool every year and hope whatever we through on the wall sticks

its the same way with the packers there never in rebuild with rodgers but they have been throwing at the wall for like what 11 years it stuck once tho ..???? btw they might get #1 seed this year not that it matters really maybe it will stick this year maybe not

Norg

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
u could play it both ways we could or waxed everyone cept watson he is here long term he signed they contract

and rebuild for 2 years ... and his last 3 years really make a run !!!!!

either way same kinda plan for the same goal just different ways of going about it

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
The offense could be salvaged with some new toys and a Center. The defense is in need of a complete rebuild.

Offense:
Draft a couple of new OL.
Sign FA WR's, Antonio Brown and Josh Gordon. Both could be massive upgrades over the current lot. Re-sign Coutee. Sign Hensen.
Sign FA RB's, Le'Veon Bell and Leonard Fournette. Giving them an opportunity to be the featured backs again may be exactly what the doctor ordered. I think both have plenty of tread on the tires and would be major upgrades over the current backs. Cut David Johnson and re-sign Duke Johnson as the 3rd down back.

I believe these moves would make the Texans offense very competitive.

Defense:
Just a complete overhaul is needed. Trade or cut anyone on this unit that isn't playing up to their contract and find cheap replacements for 2021. 2022 would be the season to push the chips in on fixing the defense.
Fine idea and plan there just have one question.

With what money and picks?

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
u could play it both ways we could or waxed everyone cept watson he is here long term he signed they contract

and rebuild for 2 years ... and his last 3 years really make a run !!!!!

either way same kinda plan for the same goal just different ways of going about it
It would have to be the last year. His cap hit in 2023 and 2024 are 42 million and 37 million, Tunsil's cap hit in 23, last year of his contract, is 21 million. So you have 63 million of your cap tied up in 2 players in 2023 and a missing LT in 2024. Unless the new GM is a real wiz at the draft and cheap FA and the HC can set up and get rolling fast you are looking at 2024 before you have a realistic shot and that if you draft a replacement LT or Tunsil resigns at a team friendly deal.

Last edited:

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
If the Texans wanted to, they could find a RB/ C/OG/WR in rds 3-5. They also can open up alot of cap space by cutting alot of the dead wood that we've been talking about.

The more I think about it , 21 has to be a cap clearing year .... they have to get all those bad contracts off the books , no sense not doing it all at once. Dragging it out just drags out the mediocrity.

Cooks
Mercilus
Da.Johnson
Martin
McKinney
Cobb
Murray

Mercilus , Cobb and Murray have a lot of dead money but if I couldn't trade them , I'd cut all of them - you can get replacement level players for the minimum.

Cooks maybe you try to restructure but 12 , 13 & 14m over the next three is a huge overpay.

Martin sucks. Something we all agree on ....

Eat the cap hits in 21 (Or NOW!) and start 22 fresh.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
The offense could be salvaged with some new toys and a Center. The defense is in need of a complete rebuild.

Offense:
Draft a couple of new OL.
Sign FA WR's, Antonio Brown and Josh Gordon. Both could be massive upgrades over the current lot. Re-sign Coutee. Sign Hensen.
Sign FA RB's, Le'Veon Bell and Leonard Fournette. Giving them an opportunity to be the featured backs again may be exactly what the doctor ordered. I think both have plenty of tread on the tires and would be major upgrades over the current backs. Cut David Johnson and re-sign Duke Johnson as the 3rd down back.

I believe these moves would make the Texans offense very competitive.

Defense:
Just a complete overhaul is needed. Trade or cut anyone on this unit that isn't playing up to their contract and find cheap replacements for 2021. 2022 would be the season to push the chips in on fixing the defense.

Leonard Fournette, yes. He is a monster. But, you have to treat him right.

Honestly, this is a rebuild. I know nobody wants to say that or go through it. But, a new GM and HC are going to tear down and redo everything.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Fine idea and plan there just have one question.

With what money and picks?
All 4 are UFA's and played on very small prove-it type of deals this season. None of these guys are featured players with their respective teams and are probably more like insurance. They did nothing to prove their value this season.....I'd roll the dice if the prices are right. I figure all 4 could be signed on the same or slightly higher type of deals for 2021. Maybe I'm wrong but it would be the worth the try in my book.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
All 4 are UFA's and played on very small prove-it type of deals this season. None of these guys are featured players with their respective teams and are probably more like insurance. They did nothing to prove their value this season.....I'd roll the dice if the prices are right. I figure all 4 could be signed on the same or slightly higher type of deals for 2021. Maybe I'm wrong but it would be the worth the try in my book.
Worth trying sure but we are already over cap, will have major roster spots to fill and have no real weapons. Plus Bell and Brown at least are divas that don’t see their value as ever dropping. I’m not saying don’t throw a number at them but also don’t get in a bidding war. Not only that but as of right now who on the Texans would you trust to negotiate these contracts?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The more I think about it , 21 has to be a cap clearing year .... they have to get all those bad contracts off the books , no sense not doing it all at once. Dragging it out just drags out the mediocrity.

Cooks
Mercilus
Da.Johnson
Martin
McKinney
Cobb
Murray

Mercilus , Cobb and Murray have a lot of dead money but if I couldn't trade them , I'd cut all of them - you can get replacement level players for the minimum.

Cooks maybe you try to restructure but 12 , 13 & 14m over the next three is a huge overpay.

Martin sucks. Something we all agree on ....

Eat the cap hits in 21 (Or NOW!) and start 22 fresh.
Should've already started happening at the deadline. Could've used the extra picks too.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Worth trying sure but we are already over cap, will have major roster spots to fill and have no real weapons. Plus Bell and Brown at least are divas that don’t see their value as ever dropping. I’m not saying don’t throw a number at them but also don’t get in a bidding war. Not only that but as of right now who on the Texans would you trust to negotiate these contracts?
I believe all 4 are on prove-it contracts this season. They're UFA at seasons end and their numbers in backup rolls will not command diva paydays. These 4 players have to find feature opportunities if they want to see another payday.....the Texans and Watson would be the best landing spot if they want that next payday. Otherwise they'll spend the rest of their NFL careers as insurance pieces behind other feature players. They're in the same boat as the Texans when it comes to desperation.

In the thread, "As the New GM" I would make 12 players move on via trade or cutting them. Between dead money and salary relief, the Texans could be +60M...if the numbers pan out...which could allow them to refill the roster with players on prove-it type of deals. Clear this cap issue and use 2021 to make it happen. Then focus everything on the 2022 season when draft assets and cap space exist to make this a much quicker turnaround.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Timberwolves a Harden destination? While not a rumor trade I did notice a mention that Rick Rubio, D'Angelo Russell and number one pick Anthony Edwards would be a good trade for Hardin. It was suggested that Rubio be traded after by Rockets for draft picks. Also other Rocket players would be sent along with Harden to Timberwolves.
Russell as two guard and Edwards at small forward would be interesting. I would not be In a hurry to trade Rubio until we see if Wall will be able to continue his play as he did in the first preseason game.
wrong thread

JWTexans

Waterboy
I hope they go to a 4-3 defense next yr, using Watt/Blacklock/Hall/Drafted guy, with J.Martin/Omenihu/Dunn as reserves.

Draft a coverage LB and A CB/S in rd 4 to develop. Then sign a vet CB.

The defense would look like this.

Watt/Blacklock/Hall/Drafted guy

Cunningham/Adams/Drafted guy

FA CB/Roby and Reid/Drafted guy. Developmental 3rd CB also would be drafted.

Of course drafting like this would still leave holes on offense at RB/IOL/WR.
I would slot Omenihu to start opposite of JJ if they kept him and switched to a 4-3. I think he just needs consistent reps and he'd be trouble for opposing offenses. I think he is a poor man's Ryan Kerrigan potentially. Not a superstar, but consistent at a high level type of guy. I don't think we'll keep JJ however, so we'll be looking for a DE anyway.