Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What Grade Did Caserio Get on Watson Trade?

Help me out here. We traded a fourth-round pick in 2022 it either 2020 or 2021 for another player. At first we thought it was our own 4th and it turned out to be the Rams pick at 4.142 if I remember correctly. Am I wrong?
Following link has us getting 4.137 turned out 142 but drafftek has 4. 142 still Rams.

Anyone remember the details of that trade?

That was in the package of picks traded last year so they could move into the 3rd for Nico Collins.

I've said many, many times, I'm not complaining about what Nick got.

My complaint is how he let the player dictate the process.

Seattle didn't allow this clown show

So the optics over the substance bothers you?

After the BOB experience you would think you would be more appreciative of the fact that Caserio got a fair deal in a bad situation.

Who put this clown show in motion was 2 people. Calhoun and Mulaghetta. Caserio was the guy left to cleanup the mess and get fair value. You should be happy that the Calhoun's now have a GM that was able to navigate the choppy waters that ownership put the team in and still get a fair deal. Instead you're like a jilted GF and say I'm done with Caserio and frankly I just cant understand how you could feel this way. I cant tell if you truly feel this way, or are being your usual argumentative self?

Like Rick Smith 🤣🤣

LMAO, the only reason I still talk about RS is he was responsible for bringing this POS to Kirby, which assured that this franchise would be screwed for almost a decade after he was gone. His legacy is he will have been responsible for 2 decades of failure by the time this mess is fully cleaned up. The McNair's have gotten what they deserve for keeping him around so long.

What? Why is Rick Smith going to be talking about this until the end of time?

<joke>

I hope this haul ends up resulting in a dynasty (Led by Davis Mills, just because I hope Watson gets the ultimate Karma slap.) Does Rick Smith get credit for drafting the catalyst? 🤔 butterfly effect. Watson is a P.O.S, but the decision to draft him could still reap great benefits for this franchise.

I hope this haul ends up resulting in a dynasty (Led by Davis Mills, just because I hope Watson gets the ultimate Karma slap.) Does Rick Smith get credit for drafting the catalyst? 🤔 butterfly effect. Watson is a P.O.S, but the decision to draft him could still reap great benefits for this franchise.

I guess if they win a SB the 5 yrs RS put us through will have been worth it.

I now wish had paid more attention to the 2021 college football season. This is going to be fun! Thanks Nick!

CNND had t right when he mentioned before the trade that it would be better to spread those picks out over a number of years.

As much as I think that Mills could be the answer, you have to consider that he could just be in that game manager/career backup talent range of QBs. I hope I'm wrong and we have our guy.

But lets say Mills isn't "the guy"...Acquiring those extra 1st round picks over the next 3 years gives us the draft capital to move up and get the QB that the Texans want to lead their team. Excellent hedge to have at the QB position.

As much as I think that Mills could be the answer, you have to consider that he could just be in that game manager/career backup talent range of QBs. I hope I'm wrong and we have our guy.

But lets say Mills isn't "the guy"...Acquiring those extra 1st round picks over the next 3 years gives us the draft capital to move up and get the QB that the Texans want to lead their team. Excellent hedge to have at the QB position.
When asked if he would draft a QB this year he didn’t rule it out. He said it’s all about value at the pick so I’m pretty sure he’s talking in the lower rounds.

Im a fan and I’m happy as hell. Beats a message board meltdown. I live in Dallas Cowboy country ( ie. Outside of Harris County) and you should come live around their fans. Might change your perspective. But I do realize there is nothing more important in the world now.
Man I live in Dallas. The fans up here are crazy. I troll them every chance I get. That's hard to do as a Texans fan though.

I've said many, many times, I'm not complaining about what Nick got.

My complaint is how he let the player dictate the process.

Seattle didn't allow this clown show

This makes no sense & its the definition of cutting your nose off to spite your face. We can sit up here and talk about what NC should've or could've done... who's blessing........or mandate he got or needed to get the trade done.........or how other teams did it more quietly etc...but at the end of the day, This was a unique situation...even from any of the others you're citing.

For 1, Barnum & Bailey circus was already in town due to his off-field shenanigans...& they weren't leaving until something was done with him....which meant that we couldn't move on until he was moved. So to say Seattle/ATL or Detroit didn't allow this "clown show"....well, none of those guys had possible criminal charges and 22 civil suits hanging over their head either. Furthermore, this is the type of thing that happens with high profile qbs. See Peyton Manning, TB12 & most recently, the Aaron Rodgers saga.

2nd, noone..not even those purportedly in the know (Schefter, Rappaport etc) knew that the contract extension was even a factor in trading for him. Even if we assume NC knew...... or found out later as negotiations ramped up, i mean what really could he have done to take control of the trade negotiations as you and a few others are upset about? "Threaten" DW4 with nixing any and all potential trades offers & sit him on the bench so he can collect 35 million? Im sure DW4 and his team were :lol: at that as he would comes out more of a winner there & we'd come out looking terrible...moreso than we already do. You had to know Cal & the FO weren't going to risk letting this dude sit on the bench another year (another year removed from playing thereby lessing his value) collecting millions. All of us here knew that wasn't going to happen & its not a stretch at all to believe DW4 & his team knew & actually anticipated this as well....

3rd........i believe both sides were ready to move on & as such, that created the space for an amicable compromise.......But understand this could've gone much worse. He could've pulled a Jalen Ramsey & really forced his way out of here. So as disgusted as he could've felt about it, NC imo made the shrewd & correct choice to play along with DW4/Mulegheta & what they wanted b/c it was the only sensible choice to make to move us forward. Likewise, DW4/Mulegheta probably conceded to allow NC to screen teams. Those who weren't willing to come to the table with 3 1sts were automatically eliminated. Well played on both sides imo it just appears that DW4/Mulegheta "won" the trade over us b/c it appears DW4 got more b/c of the new contract. Reality is, NC/the Texans had no control whatsoever over that aspect of it, that was all on the Browns.

Last edited:
This makes no sense & its the definition of cutting your nose off to spite your face. We can sit up here and talk about what NC should've or could've done... who's blessing........or mandate he got or needed to get the trade done.........or how other teams did it more quietly etc...but at the end of the day, This was a unique situation...even from any of the others you're citing.

For 1, Barnum & Bailey circus was already in town due to his off-field shenanigans...& they weren't leaving until something was done with him....which meant that we couldn't move on until he was moved. So to say Seattle/ATL or Detroit didn't allow this "clown show"....well, none of those guys had possible criminal charges and 22 civil suits hanging over their head either. Furthermore, this is the type of thing that happens with high profile qbs. See Peyton Manning, TB12 & most recently, the Aaron Rodgers saga.

2nd, noone..not even those purportedly in the know (Schefter, Rappaport etc) knew that the contract extension was even a factor in trading for him. Even if we assume NC knew...... or found out later as negotiations ramped up, i mean what really could he have done to take control of the trade negotiations as you and a few others are upset about? "Threaten" DW4 with nixing any and all potential trades offers & sit him on the bench so he can collect 35 million? Im sure DW4 and his team were :lol: at that as he would comes out more of a winner there & we'd come out looking terrible...moreso than we already do. You had to know Cal & the FO weren't going to risk letting this dude sit on the bench another year (another year removed from playing thereby lessing his value) collecting millions. All of us here knew that wasn't going to happen & its not a stretch at all to believe DW4 & his team knew & actually anticipated this as well....

3rd........i believe both sides were ready to move on & as such, that created the space for an amicable compromise.......But understand this could've gone much worse. He could've pulled a Jalen Ramsey & really forced his way out of here. So as disgusted as he could've felt about it, NC imo made the shrewd & correct choice to play along with DW4/Mulegheta & what they wanted b/c it was the only sensible choice to make to move us forward. Likewise, DW4/Mulegheta probably conceded to allow NC to screen teams. Those who weren't willing to come to the table with 3 1sts were automatically eliminated. Well played on both sides imo it just appears that DW4/Mulegheta "won" the trade over us b/c it appears DW4 got more b/c of the new contract. Reality is, NC/the Texans had no control whatsoever over that aspect of it, that was all on the Browns.

Exactly, putting aside the moral aspect of it I don't understand why any of us would be upset that Watson got a new contract. If we had to pay part of it then yeah that would piss me off but that record breaking contract is 100% on the Browns and they are responsible for all of it. We clear out a massive amount of cap space, got the second largest draft haul in NFL history, are for once NOT the ones getting crucified in the media regarding Watson and we got rid of our problem child. How is this anything but a win? I am seriously asking.

And for those saying that Flacons would have given him the same deal as the Browns I'm actually not sure they would have. Browns are in complete win now mode, if they don't win a SB in the next two years they are sunk because they have sold the cow for some magic beans. Falcons were at least a year or 2 away from being back in the hunt and giving up the picks they had to for Watson in the first place pushes that time table back. Browns made the deal they did because they have fully bought into the idea that winning fixes everything. Now they just have to do the winning part and do it in what maybe the best division in the NFL.

Exactly, putting aside the moral aspect of it I don't understand why any of us would be upset that Watson got a new contract. If we had to pay part of it then yeah that would piss me off but that record breaking contract is 100% on the Browns and they are responsible for all of it. We clear out a massive amount of cap space, got the second largest draft haul in NFL history, are for once NOT the ones getting crucified in the media regarding Watson and we got rid of our problem child. How is this anything but a win? I am seriously asking.

And for those saying that Flacons would have given him the same deal as the Browns I'm actually not sure they would have. Browns are in complete win now mode, if they don't win a SB in the next two years they are sunk because they have sold the cow for some magic beans. Falcons were at least a year or 2 away from being back in the hunt and giving up the picks they had to for Watson in the first place pushes that time table back. Browns made the deal they did because they have fully bought into the idea that winning fixes everything. Now they just have to do the winning part and do it in what maybe the best division in the NFL.
You and Tex summed it up very well. Considering the circumstances I thought NC did well. It's amazing that this has to be posted over and over again but stubborn gonna stubborn. They have to have something to be upset about or the day just isn't right

I am raising the grade from D+ to C. Better… but It won’t go higher because Nick has no stones and let DW4 lead him around by the nose like a bull at the rodeo. This whole thing was back asswards. Watson did everything but get on his back and ride him except Nick was the clown.

I don't understand this perspective at all.

How was Watson "lead[ing] him around by the nose like a bull at the rodeo"?

If Watson had ended up in Seattle and the Texans had received just one 1st round pick, I'd completely agree with you.

But instead, the Texans got three 1st rounds+, which has not been seen in 32 years! Seriously, the Herschel Walker trade has been talked about in almost mythical and legendary tones for the past three decades because it was so astounding.

And now we see another comparable deal for our team and you believe the Texans got screwed?

Watson ended up on the freakin' Browns!!! He controlled very little. I doubt the Browns were even in his top 25 teams list. There is a reason why their own fans call the team a factory of sadness. If Watson hated the Texans owners, just wait until he spends some time as a Brown!!

Seriously, this is win/win for the Texans. They came out smelling like a rose with one of the best deals the NFL has seen in decades, and, the asshat that perpetuated all of it is now on one of the historically most dysfunctional franchises around. So we get our cake and schadenfreude, too.

If the team would've actually stuck it out with Watson after all the crap Watson drug them through (Easterby doesn't have anything to do with Watson's off the field buffoonery). I wouldn't have stuck it out with them. I would've just moved on like I did after the Oilers left. There's more important things in life than just winning football games. In good conscience I would've never been able to root for Watson and now I root for his career to crash and burn in a flaming heap pile. Good news for me is there isn't a better place of that actually happening than Cleveland Ohio 👍 😁

So, yeah I'm ecstatic with this trade.. A+

BINGO! :thumbup

I knew he would never play for the Texans again after his BS in January 2020, so while I've certainly stared into the abyss (and had it stare back) a few times as a Texans fan since then, I figured it would just be a matter of time before some adults came back into the building to run the franchise. I'm just glad it happened sooner than later, as I'm experiencing a bit of optimism toward the next season that I never anticipated would happen this soon.

I am raising the grade from D+ to C. Better… but It won’t go higher because Nick has no stones and let DW4 lead him around by the nose like a bull at the rodeo. This whole thing was back asswards. Watson did everything but get on his back and ride him except Nick was the clown.
Why does it matter how you think it was done?
You can't see the forest for the trees.
3 firsts, 2 thirds and a forth - 6 picks for that whiney baby.

What about him? I don't think he has much substantive input in the football decisions of the team. If you're implying that he's got a lot of input, you probably should call into some sport talk radio shows at midday.
I don't need to call anyone, the proof is in the Jello pops. Whether it was trading Hopkins for David Johnson who would've been cut to the point that Josh McCown was almost head coach getting 3 interviews to his contract to which the only guy who can fire him are the McNairs. Maybe it was him giving Whitney money when he was done that cost the team Reader. He also negotiated and gave Watson a NTC without any language. Keep your head in the sand, but even a guy like McClain has spoken about his power from a team chaplain who has the ear of the owner anytime he wants.

I agree except their window is 10 years, not 2. The salary cap went up 25m this year and its going up probably double that next year with the Amazon money. They've paid Myles already as well as Chubb. They still have draft capital and have shown recently to draft well. The Texans just need to make sure they build a team that can compete with Jacksonville who I think is going to be a problem going forward with Pederson and Sunshine.

I originally thought Nick got screwed. He got two picks a year from the Browns for the next 3 years. So maybe he didn’t get screwed completely after all. Nick will have two first round picks for the next 3 years, and that ain’t bad.

To Watson….This guy went full prima donna when he didn’t get his way. Now he’s goin to Cleveland. Lol, ya good luck with that. The AFC is LOADED. Hell, 3 of the QBs in the AFC West are better than he is, Allen is better, and he isn’t even the best QB in his own division. Gonna love seeing him and his team go 6-11, 7-10 every year.

I originally thought Nick got screwed. He got two picks a year from the Browns for the next 3 years. So maybe he didn’t get screwed completely after all. Nick will have two first round picks for the next 3 years, and that ain’t bad.

To Watson….This guy went full prima donna when he didn’t get his way. Now he’s goin to Cleveland. Lol, ya good luck with that. The AFC is LOADED. Hell, 3 of the QBs in the AFC West are better than he is, Allen is better, and he isn’t even the best QB in his own division. Gonna love seeing him and his team go 6-11, 7-10 every year.

Two repaired knees, playing in those conditions, and against those defenses (plus possible suspension this season).. Who knows what the value of this trade could ultimately become.

He does play against Watt's little brother 2x a year now. What a karmic twist that would be? :evilb:

Keep your head in the sand, but even a guy like McClain has spoken about his power from a team chaplain who has the ear of the owner anytime he wants.

John McClain has like 50 years of sources in the NFL and I can’t think of the last thing he’s got right. According to him, Watson is a Falcon and Josh McCown. Not sure if that’s the hill you want to die on. McClain should probably stick to his movie reviews and smelling Anna Megan Raley’s seat when she would leave the room.

Two repaired knees, playing in those conditions, and against those defenses (plus possible suspension this season).. Who knows what the value of this trade could ultimately become.

He does play against Watt's little brother 2x a year now. What a karmic twist that would be? :evilb:
Next years round one should be top 12/15. And yep, the Pitt/Balt defenses will light him up.

John McClain has like 50 years of sources in the NFL and I can’t think of the last thing he’s got right. According to him, Watson is a Falcon and Josh McCown. Not sure if that’s the hill you want to die on. McClain should probably stick to his movie reviews and smelling Anna Megan Raley’s seat when she would leave the room.
I said nothing about his predictions, I simply stated about his comments and what he said about JE. JE tried to get him to write a puff piece about Mayo and he dclined, but another chronicle writer did. These are facts. He talked about how JE manipulates people and their ideas to translate to his ideas. These are facts.

Next years round one should be top 12/15. And yep, the Pitt/Balt defenses will light him up.
You realize how poor Baltimore defense was last year? They fired Wink and have a gang of free agents. Pittsburgh defense is good, not great and they've been run out of the playoffs 2yrs in a row.

I agree except their window is 10 years, not 2. The salary cap went up 25m this year and its going up probably double that next year with the Amazon money. They've paid Myles already as well as Chubb. They still have draft capital and have shown recently to draft well. The Texans just need to make sure they build a team that can compete with Jacksonville who I think is going to be a problem going forward with Pederson and Sunshine.
In ya feelins?

..When you have "50 years of sources in the NFL", all the good ones still plugged in either retired or the ones left only give information that they want to get out.

Let's face it, the media here is lazy and soft (talking about our media as a whole).. If Watson was drafted into any other large market city.. no way the number would've grew to 22..

You realize how poor Baltimore defense was last year? They fired Wink and have a gang of free agents. Pittsburgh defense is good, not great and they've been run out of the playoffs 2yrs in a row.
I hear you. I’m not necessarily talking 4 quarters. Doesn’t take 4 Q’s to beat the hell out of him.

Baltimore was the most injured team in the league last year…think SF 49ers in 2019 how their defense suffered due to injuries. All their guys should be back healthy next year..I believe they also signed the best safety in FA this year and 1 of the best DT’s. They’ll be a problem for DW.

Baltimore was the most injured team in the league last year…think SF 49ers in 2019 how their defense suffered due to injuries. All their guys should be back healthy next year..I believe they also signed the best safety in FA this year and 1 of the best DT’s. They’ll be a problem for DW.
DW will be a problem for DW. The ball holding, hero shots, scrambling etc and having sat a year will all come into play. Yea its glorious to watch him but he also pays the price for that style of play. It‘ll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Well even off the field you’d be right. I’d bet that a massage table will still be in play. I mean old habits die hard am I right? I wonder who would take that job? Yuck
I bet the Browns have plenty of masseurs lined up for him. Remove the need and the excuse to go looking for a massage.

Lost all their cb's which hurt of course, but who is rushing the qb? Cleveland has a really good oline and that run game. Where is Campbell and the lb's?

they went 8-9 last year with all the injuries. They fired Martindale b/c he was blitz happy & couldn’t make anything else happen when all his players were injured and he couldn’t blitz as much. But they still have Queen…shored up the d-line in FA. I expect them to hit the draft for pass rush help…Calais campbell can still come back. They’ll be a much tougher out for whomever they play than they were last year towards the end.

DW will be a problem for DW. The ball holding, hero shots, scrambling etc and having sat a year will all come into play. Yea its glorious to watch him but he also pays the price for that style of play. It‘ll be interesting to see how it plays out.
Some people try to pretend that Watson pulls out all of these magical plays every time he scrambles. They conveniently forget that he was awful in at least a couple of games per season his damn self even while having the best WR in the league.

Back