Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What do you think the Texans 2023 Draft Grade will be?

What do you think the Texans 2023 Draft Grade will be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
How come ballsy isn't an option? What they did tonight took titanium nuts. It may not pan out, but as a fan you can at least see they're trying.
How often are the Texans "ballsy"?

Answer that and you have your answer... maybe next time it will be.

Our grade should be high but no doubt the detractors will say we paid too much and give us the usual D.

OK, so let me put a little disclaimer here. When I graded this, I didn't put what I thought my grade for their draft was going to be beforehand, because that wasn't how I read the question.

I thought the question was what are all the talking heads and pundits going to grade our draft. To which I answered C.

But... that doesn't seem to be what most people are answering...

My grade for the draft? I just hope that I'll be able to see the logic behind all the draft picks and be able to see the draft in a positive light. I usually do.
What is your S2? Just kidding

I give them a solid A. Although they traded up when I believe they shouldn't have, they ensured they got the players they wanted. That is what matters. I mean I had Wypler rated 2-3 round. Obviously the league disagreed.We as casual fans don't see all they see. I know this team is a hell of a lot better than they were a week ago. This was a true collaboration. Demeco on D. Slowik. It is the GMs job to get the players the coaches want. Nick did that.

I give them a solid A. Although they traded up when I believe they shouldn't have, they ensured they got the players they wanted. That is what matters. I mean I had Wypler rated 2-3 round. Obviously the league disagreed.We as casual fans don't see all they see. I know this team is a hell of a lot better than they were a week ago. This was a true collaboration. Demeco on D. Slowik. It is the GMs job to get the players the coaches want. Nick did that.
Exactly how I feel. We got who we wanted whether it works out or not. We had a surplus of picks. If we just stayed put and grabbed whatever fell in our lap maybe it would have worked out, but in most cases we probably would have had to throw a couple of those guys away. I think we played this draft great. We used our capital to get what we wanted. It was the correct approach. Drafts are never perfect but I feel like we had our guys and we got those guys. Time will tell but you don't just take the scraps that fall in your lap in this position and weed it out later. Get who you think can be an asset to improve the team. The future looks bright to me. I'm glad to have what we added to the team through draft and free agency. I don't see any glaring holes left other than maybe the WR position. I believe this team can be competitive this year and even more so the next. I haven't felt that way for some time and I have been a fan since day 1.

Last edited:
Yeah I didn't and don't want Stroud and most importantly none of us will know for years how this thing pans out but I have to give the franchise an A solely for having the nuts to do what they think we had to do, establishing a clear vision and mold for what we are going for in accumulating talent, filling some glaring needs, seemingly drafting many "leaders," etc.

Yeah I didn't and don't want Stroud and most importantly none of us will know for years how this thing pans out but I have to give the franchise an A solely for having the nuts to do what they think we had to do, establishing a clear vision and mold for what we are going for in accumulating talent, filling some glaring needs, seemingly drafting many "leaders," etc.
I wasn't a fan of stroud either. All you heard was negative. Then..... I was laying in the bed. His pro day played back to back with Bryce Young's. Watch them. One after the other. Just saying... Take from it what you will if you bother to watch them.. Stroud is literally the epitome of accurate if he has the time. He is so much smoother than Young. There's honestly no comparison. Stroud was the best quarterback in this draft. I'm very glad he is a Texan

Last edited:
I gave them a B+ on the poll but now the draft is done, I'm upgrading it to A.
Would be higher but I thought they missed out on a couple of better guys but I don't have all the info of players they do.
They definitely did their homework on this one.

I'll give them an A- after the draft. I didn't like giving up a 1st round pick next year, but at least we still have one left. If this haul wasn't so expensive in terms of draft capital, it would be a regular A.
Agree to a point there, but it looks like Texans want to swing for the fences - and why not?
No good watching your team lacking in the position/guy you could have had in the past draft.
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bushes.

I honestly thought we’d see some shenanigans & expected a D or lower.

I think they did a good job adding studs to the team. Obviously they are going about team building differently than I would, with a young QB. That’s ok

I could give them an A for the quality over quantity guys they put on the team.

I don’t mind borrowing from next year’s draft but I’d like to see some effort to add to next year’s draft & this year I don’t think they did enough for next year.

So I’m raising my original D or lower to a B+

I’ve got to go somewhere in the A-/B+ range. The top 2 could change the franchise. That’s worthy of an A+ on its own. Getting back to 3 was pricey but if he is a franchise changer then it will be worth the price.

I thought they lost a little juice with Juice. Still addressed a big need there and if that was their guy then so be it. I know they probably were worried about him getting taken so they felt they had to move 3 spots and that’s fine. Me personally, I felt they would have been OK staying put. But not really a big issue there but a factor in my meaningless grade.

I’m good with Tank. Horton will need to get coached up and I feel confident that can happen under Ryans. A plus that they move back and get an extra pick to get him. They lost me a little on To’oTo’o. That one just felt to me like a Bama alum party. Not convinced he sees the field much with what they already have. Not to mention they move up 7 to get him.

I like the Patterson pick. I hope that he and Juice competing makes them both better. What was it I read, 1,600+ plays without allowing a sack? Sweet.

The last 2 picks felt like let’s just get this over with. Hutchinson has nice numbers but he was damn near 40% of the Iowa St pass game. Special teamer for sure but have a hard time seeing him getting many offensive snaps in what is now a pretty crowded WR room. And they give up 2 picks, including one next year to go get this guy.

Brandon Hill? Dude opted out of a bowl game to prepare for the draft where he was already a projected mid to late day 3 and ends up 12 picks away from being undrafted. Don’t have the feels for this dude.

So all of that puts me in an A-/B+ ish range. Definitely their best draft in years though.

I don’t mind borrowing from next year’s draft but I’d like to see some effort to add to next year’s draft & this year I don’t think they did enough for next year.

They did add a 3rd back to next year’s draft trading a 4th. So they should have a pick in every round except the 6th. With an extra 4th from the WD40 trade. And we know with Caserio’s history wheeling and dealing he’ll find a way to add that elusive 6th round pick back to trade up earlier in the day…

I think it’s a calculated swing for the fences. The division is young and nobody has a dominant grip on it. Making the move for the foundational players now gives them an opportunity to compete for the division this season instead of playing for that 6-8 win incremental improvement.

And it adds a year to their rookie contract window to stack the roster and make a run at the big trophy before the QB comes calling for a raise…

I wrote on several occasions before the draft I was feeling conservative in regards to this draft. Top to bottom I thought the talent was so-so. I think Baller was lol about me dropping them down from a B+ to a B, I just didn't like the CJ Stroud pick (which should mystify no one) or giving up one of next years first round picks. Hard for me to give them higher than B for those reasons alone.

All that said, I'm really excited for the season to start. Hopefully the Browns #1 will be a top ten pick next year and the Texans own 1st round pick they gave away will be a low first round pick. That would certainly make me feel better about this draft.

A.
Best Texans draft in years. They went for it with determination looking forward, fearless hard working draft decisions from the top to the bottom and never looked back. It's a new turn the page moment waiting for the other turned pages until finally a new born again victory in the end.
A few diamond in the rough UFDA picks look good too.

Happy for you Duggan got drafted. Could turn into a Taysom Hill type player.
Duggan is better than what they’ve had. Chase Daniels was part of Herbert’s coaching staff more than any serious threat despite knowing offense forward and backward (now retired). Hoping they didn’t keep running Stick out there, good locker room kid, athletic but never popped or flashed NFL potential.

Duggan is a hard nosed, passionate competitor with really good feet and pocket awareness. Justin Herbert just refuses to come out of games, but if Max develops, picks system up quickly, think Chargers could better protect the franchise, and let a quality QB finish meaningless minutes & run that offense without fear and live to play another day.

Chargers drafted three horned frogs, so maybe a little bit of that too 🤔

Last edited:
Reactions: JB
They did add a 3rd back to next year’s draft trading a 4th. So they should have a pick in every round except the 6th. With an extra 4th from the WD40 trade. And we know with Caserio’s history wheeling and dealing he’ll find a way to add that elusive 6th round pick back to trade up earlier in the day…

I think it’s a calculated swing for the fences. The division is young and nobody has a dominant grip on it. Making the move for the foundational players now gives them an opportunity to compete for the division this season instead of playing for that 6-8 win incremental improvement.

And it adds a year to their rookie contract window to stack the roster and make a run at the big trophy before the QB comes calling for a raise…

Tell me Stroud is going to be great and I give than an A.

Tell me Stroud is slightly above avg and I give them an F for being stuck in high end mediocrity, all in the name of putting butts in seats.

Tell me Stroud is slightly above avg and I give them an F for being stuck in high end mediocrity, all in the name of putting butts in seats.

Well… that’s why the real draft grades will come out on the field of play over the next couple seasons.

Right now I’m going B-

Not a big Stroud fan but it is cool to see the franchise take a big swing I guess. Anderson should at the very least be an above average starter for a long time. Hopefully more ofc

Day 2 is where they kinda lost me. Seems like they probably could have gotten Scruggs later on in the draft but hey maybe NFL teams were higher on him than the media. Tank Dell feels like a pandering pick. I would have preferred Downs or Hyatt if we wanted a WR.

Day 3:I liked day 3 but this is where I stop knowing the names mostly. No issues with any of it, Xavier Hutchinson seems like a potential steal and the Patterson pick is great I love me some oline depth. Seems like he could even compete for a starting spot.

Overall of course this draft grade will mostly come down to how Anderson and Stroud perform so if both of those guys hit this will be an A no matter how day 2/3 go

Stroud is going to be great.

He actually may be the most underrated player in this draft.... and that's a weird thing to say about someone who was drafted 2nd overrall. The future is bright my friend. Enjoy it.

Stroud is going to be great.

He actually may be the most underrated player in this draft.... and that's a weird thing to say about someone who was drafted 2nd overrall. The future is bright my friend. Enjoy it.

Difference is, you think Stroud's going to be a superstar. I think best case is Stroud ends up being a middle of the pack QB. Not a terrible prospect. Go back and watch the last 2 Michigan games and tell me you see greatness.

Difference is, you think Stroud's going to be a superstar. I think best case is Stroud ends up being a middle of the pack QB. Not a terrible prospect.
Best case what? Worst case... we have a better quarterback than we've ever had? And that includes Watson...

Difference is, you think Stroud's going to be a superstar. I think best case is Stroud ends up being a middle of the pack QB. Not a terrible prospect. Go back and watch the last 2 Michigan games and tell me you see greatness.
I honestly don't care. I'm not going to set back and be negative like yourself. Everyone has a bad day. You can point them out for anyone. Stroud has everything you could want and hopefully it will translate to success. There's no reason it can't. If he didn't have the potential, I'd say so... but he does.

I honestly don't care. I'm not going to set back and be negative like yourself. Everyone has a bad day. You can point them out for anyone. Stroud has everything you could want and hopefully it will translate to success. There's no reason it can't. If he didn't have the potential, I'd say so... but he does.

Well we agree on one thing, neither one of us cares anymore.

So no Mills treatment for you, even though Mills had far less to work with than Stroud will have.

I cant wait until Stroud makes a dumb mistake and I say he made a dumb mistake and the rest of the MB calls me a racist AGAIN. Fun times.

Well we agree on one thing, neither one of us cares anymore.

So no Mills treatment for you, even though Mills had far less to work with than Stroud will have.

I cant wait until Stroud makes a dumb mistake and I say he made a dumb mistake and the rest of the MB calls me a racist AGAIN. Fun times.
Lol... is that what it is? I've been here a long damn time. Your contributions are appreciated. Stop being butthurt if someone called you a racist at some point. It happens.

Back