Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What about Kenyon Green?

Seems to me that once he got injured he lost something...motivation or self confidence or something....he has looked like he's become lazy and has come back overweight and not the good kind of weight put on...he looks fat.
Hopefully he realizes whats at stake after a lifetime of playing football and the dedication its taken to get to where he's at. I truly hope that he comes back this year in spectacular shape and motivated to play like the hard nosed player he was at A&M.
Hope Tytus comes back fully healthy as well...those two coming back fully healthy and improved would help with the Oline tremendously.

My main concern with Green is that he was drafted for a different scheme like Pierce. I know different coaching staff but first rounders need to transcend schemes. I hope he can adapt and be a productive starter. Missing on a first round interior OL would be a significant miss. You take a shot on a prospect there and they are expected to hit.

My main concern with Green is that he was drafted for a different scheme like Pierce. I know different coaching staff but first rounders need to transcend schemes. I hope he can adapt and be a productive starter. Missing on a first round interior OL would be a significant miss. You take a shot on a prospect there and they are expected to hit.
Expected by who? You're looking at it from a fans perspective. Do you think Ryans or Slowik feels any obligation to live with decisions, or players, from the previous coaching staff. I don't think so. They'll rid themselves of players who don't fit their scheme or play up to expectations as quickly as possible. Both Kenyon and Tytus will be on short leashes.

Expected by who? You're looking at it from a fans perspective. Do you think Ryans or Slowik feels any obligation to live with decisions, or players, from the previous coaching staff. I don't think so. They'll rid themselves of players who don't fit their scheme or play up to expectations as quickly as possible. Both Kenyon and Tytus will be on short leashes.

Expected by Nick. It’s a 1st round pick on a position that isn’t normally selected in the 1st round. You need to hit on that pick.

You hope not what? I don’t even understand the response. Joker is right. Nick selected a guy at a position rarely selected that high in the draft. To justify the pick, Green has to hit. So far…doesn’t look likely but he will get at least one more chance post surgery. Right now, it doesn’t look good and I don’t think anyone is relying on him. He’d be a bonus if he actually started playing well consistently. As of today, this is a black mark on Nicks record, whether certain posters want to admit it or not.

You hope not what? I don’t even understand the response. Joker is right. Nick selected a guy at a position rarely selected that high in the draft. To justify the pick, Green has to hit. So far…doesn’t look likely but he will get at least one more chance post surgery. Right now, it doesn’t look good and I don’t think anyone is relying on him. He’d be a bonus if he actually started playing well consistently. As of today, this is a black mark on Nicks record, whether certain posters want to admit it or not.
Not all first round picks work out.
The hardest ones of all are the QBs and happily for us he got that one right.
If you want to put a black mark against his name for future reference go right ahead, but for now, and the foreseeable future, Nicky ain't going nowhere so get over it.

Justify the pick to who?

He's saying because Caserio selected Green for the last regime there will be no loyalty to Green from Ryans, as it should be.

I'm sure you were saying these same things about Stingley last off-season. Injuries happen but part of the instant gratification crew hasn't learned to accept this yet.

If you want to put a black mark against his name for future reference go right ahead, but for now, and the foreseeable future, Nicky ain't going nowhere so get over it.
This is just the guys who didn't like the Caserio hire from the beginnings way of venting. Some have trouble admitting to themselves they were wrong.

All it really took was a HC who could have a clear vision of what he wanted his team to look like and the type of players Ryans needed to carry out that vision for Caserio to be successful.

Of course from the beginning the vision was to tank for 2 years and add star level players along the way and by yr three make the playoffs, then by yr four be true contenders with draft picks and cap space in place to make this happen. Everything is on track and like I've been saying for the last couple of years the future is bright.

Some just lacked the ability to see the vision.

Last edited:
This is just the guys who didn't like the Caserio hire from the beginnings way of venting. Some have trouble admitting to themselves they were wrong.

All it really took was a HC who could have a clear vision of what he wanted his team to look like and the type of players Ryans needed to carry out that vision for Caserio to be successful.

Of course from the beginning the vision was to tank for 2 years and add star level players along the way and by yr three make the playoffs, then by yr four be true contenders with draft picks and cap space in place to make this happen. Everything is on track and like I've been saying for the last couple of years the future is bright.

What are you babbling about? Your vision included tanking in 23 hard to get Caleb Williams.

So we are now allowed to point out it would really suck if the Green pick is a miss? I didn’t know it was a controversial opinion to point out the obvious.

Check my post history (you wont). I am far from a Caserio hater. And if we want to pull up old history we can go on about all the threads you derailed with your venting of how you hated the CJ Stroud pick and unjustifiably denigrating his character until he started playing NFL games. 🤦‍♂️

So we are now allowed to point out it would really suck if the Green pick is a miss? I didn’t know it was a controversial opinion to point out the obvious.

Check my post history (you wont). I am far from a Caserio hater. And if we want to pull up old history we can go on about all the threads you derailed with your venting of how you hated the CJ Stroud pick and unjustifiably denigrating his character until he started playing NFL games. 🤦‍♂️
The point is we dont know if Green is a bust and posters (Not sure if you were one of them that called Stingley a bust) shouldn't call players busts if they've been injured until after yr 3. IMHO

You think posters would've learned something from Stingley happening, but I guess not. What does this have to do with Stroud?

What are you babbling about? Your vision included tanking in 23 hard to get Caleb Williams.
You're correct because I didn't think Stroud was good enough to have a repeat experience with (Word Scramble and scramble these words however you would like but stay within forum rules when scrambling) Vidad mrfo het hogett)

But we're not talking about my vision, we're talking about Ryans and Caserio's vision. Fortunately their vision was different than mine and they decided to speed up the process.

I've always believed that Caserio had the correct plan of drafting star level players and cheap FA vets while he was rebuilding the team. See, I can admit I was wrong, but there are other posters that seem to struggle with being able to do this. Yourself?

The point is we dont know if Green is a bust and posters (Not sure if you were one of them that called Stingley a bust) shouldn't call players busts if they've been injured until after yr 3. IMHO

You think posters would've learned something from Stingley happening, but I guess not. What does this have to do with Stroud?

What does it have to do with Stingley? Stop assuming you know my previous history on here when you don’t bother to look up old posts…

Back to the topic of the thread:

Kenyon Green is an interior OL. Interior OL aren’t usually drafted in the 1st. When they are it is supposed to be due to the talent of the prospect having very low bust potential (EX:Quenton Nelson or Zach Martin). When the position they were drafted to play is still in question going into year 3… that’s a problem. And it’s ok to point that out. I’m sure it has even been pointed out in-house without jimmies getting rustled like this is Communist Russia and someone points out that Stalin might have made a bad decision!

What does it have to do with Stingley? Stop assuming you know my previous history on here when you don’t bother to look up old posts…

Back to the topic of the thread:

Kenyon Green is an interior OL. Interior OL aren’t usually drafted in the 1st. When they are it is supposed to be due to the talent of the prospect having very low bust potential (EX:Quenton Nelson or Zach Martin). When the position they were drafted to play is still in question going into year 3… that’s a problem. And it’s ok to point that out. I’m sure it has even been pointed out in-house without jimmies getting rustled like this is Communist Russia and someone points out that Stalin might have made a bad decision!
It has to do with Stingley because posters were writing him off due to injury like they're writing off Green.

I agree it's an issue going into yr 3. Hopefully an issue that will be answered positively with a healthy 2024. The guy has talent or he wouldn't have been drafted in the 1st rd to begin with. He's just gotta get healthy and perform up to his capabilities. If he does then the LG issues will be solved for the next few yrs. Good news is I heard on the radio (Cant remember which show) that he's in great shape, so that's a really good start.

It has to do with Stingley because posters were writing him off due to injury like they're writing off Green.

I agree it's an issue going into yr 3. Hopefully an issue that will be answered positively with a healthy 2024. The guy has talent or he wouldn't have been drafted in the 1st rd to begin with. He's just gotta get healthy and perform up to his capabilities. If he does then the LG issues will be solved for the next few yrs. Good news is I heard on the radio (Cant remember which show) that he's in great shape, so that's a really good start.

Again… the Stingley stuff has nothing to do with this thread or lumping me in with people complaining about all of Caserio’s moves when you didn’t bother researching my post history. I will take this as your apology. And it is accepted.

Reactions: JB
Again… the Stingley stuff has nothing to do with this thread or lumping me in with people complaining about all of Caserio’s moves when you didn’t bother researching my post history. I will take this as your apology. And it is accepted.
I apologize but I'm not sure what I'm apologizing for. Both Green and SIngley have had injury issues Hopefully Green can overcome his injury issues as Stingley has his.

You besmirched my good name sir!

As I mentioned in the past….Green’s first season was looking promising especially in the run game, but a bad injury derailed that growth opportunity. Injuries derailed season two as well. Man, I really hate making final decisions on players before they’ve really had a chance to have a full NFL season.

A bust in my book is a player who’s been healthy and played the games, but failed to execute any growth whatsoever.

An injured player has yet to prove his value. I stood behind Stingley knowing he should become the player he was expected to be once he had health and playing time. During Stingley’s entire time with the Texans he never let himself get out of shape, which means he was committed to the effort of being ready when his time came around. My biggest concern with Green…..he didn’t exactly keep himself in playing shape and showed up last seasons camp looking out of shape. If Green shows up to this seasons camp in good shape and ready to play, then I’m interested to see if he can become that RD1 pick Caserio invested in.....just like Stingley did.

Last edited:
As I mentioned in the past….Green’s first season was looking promising especially in the run game, but a bad injury derailed that growth opportunity. Injuries derailed season two as well. Man, I really hate making final decisions on players before they’ve really had a chance to have a full NFL season.

A bust in my book is a player who’s been healthy and played the games, but failed to execute any growth whatsoever.

An injured player has yet to prove his value. I stood behind Stingley expecting him to become the player he was expected to be once he had playing time and health. During Stingley’s entire time with the Texans he never let himself to get out of shape, which means he was committing his efforts to being ready when his time came around. My biggest concern with Green…..he didn’t exactly keep himself in playing shape and showed up at the last camp looking out of shape. If Green shows up to this seasons camp in good shape and ready to play, then I’m interested to see if he can become that RD1 pick Caserio invested in, like Stingley did.
Spot on

Give the guy a chance and lets see how he does. Want to improve the run game? A healthy Kenyon Green accomplishes this goal. I wonder if Green gets healthy and performs well if some posters will admit they were wrong? History says they wont.

At this point, he's a luxury because of Juice and Patterson. He's a 1st rd pick that basically took a redshirt year to get healthy. If he's as good in run blocking as he put on display his rookie year, he's going to start and play. His pass blocking inside needs work, but that's most young maulers inside. People don't realize how hard it is inside to block those guys. Saw Linderbaum and Skoronski getting worked inside. I wasn't for the pick of Green that high, but he's here now. People tend to forget D Brown early. Just got to ride it out and check his progress. If he looks like he can't play, the other Green or Juice look like they can.

The book is not complete on Green so as of today, no he isn’t the biggest bust. At this point, he isn’t even a bust, although he is trending hard in that direction. By this time next year, we will know. I have three guys in mind for biggest 1st round bust. Right now…Green isn’t on my list. Crossing my fingers he comes back and shows he is a dawg…but not counting on it.

Another miss from the same draft. Although there is still hope that Metchie might be average, I have no confidence that Green will even be in the league in 2 years. Texans worst 1st round pick ever!

He is up there with Amobi Okoye as Texans biggest 1st round bust. At least Amobi showed a couple of flashes. We’d be a legit Super Bowl contender RIGHT NOW if we had drafted Kyle Hamilton or Linderbaum. Kills me when I watch those guys play against us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He is up there with Amobi Okoye as Texans biggest 1st round bust. At least Amobi showed a couple of flashes. We’d be a legit Super Bowl contender RIGHT NOW if we had drafted Kyle Hamilton or Linderbaum. Kills me when I watch those guys play against us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I never said Kenyon Green was a bust, I said he is our worst 1st round draft pick - for the exact reasons you mentioned. I actually considered Amobi before making the statement, but he was only 19 when he was drafted at least he played well at times.

I never said Kenyon Green was a bust, I said he is our worst 1st round draft pick - for the exact reasons you mentioned. I actually considered Amobi before making the statement, but he was only 19 when he was drafted at least he played well at times.
oKoYe was healthy and sucked. We don't know what Green is yet because of injury.

If everyone is healthy....the IOL will be just fine, including the depth.

(6) IOL
LG: Scruggs, Green, Green 2, Patterson, Broeker
OC: Patterson, Scruggs, Green
RG: Mason, Broeker, Green 2

(3) Outside Looking In
OC: Deiter, Quessenberry
OG: Eislen

If everyone is healthy....the IOL will be just fine, including the depth.

(6) IOL
LG: Scruggs, Green, Green 2, Patterson, Broeker
OC: Patterson, Scruggs, Green
RG: Mason, Broeker, Green 2

(3) Outside Looking In
OC: Deiter, Quessenberry
OG: Eislen
Yep and same with our offensive backs: the QB guy if healthy should be good. It's the hole at the other back that has me squirming. RB we haven't got same with RT. We have no clue whether Singletary or Titus Howard will be the starter game one. Do we just do nothing until then?

Yep and same with our offensive backs: the QB guy if healthy should be good. It's the hole at the other back that has me squirming. RB we haven't got same with RT. We have no clue whether Singletary or Titus Howard will be the starter game one. Do we just do nothing until then?

Oh no…I’m good with getting a free agent RT or one via the draft. I’m going the same way at the RB position as well.

I wrote him off due to injury. I'm still not entirely convinced that his injury history won't affect longevity but I'm reconciled to the idea that nobody is guaranteed much longevity in this sport anyway so what difference does any of it make. If he has a career that only lasts two more years and the Texans find a ring along the way then was he a bust? Hell, I don't even know anymore. All I do know is there's a draft every single year so whether they're busts or stars who get greedy at contract time it's all the same. We'll draft another and get right back in it again. What seems to matter is whether your HC and GM are on the same page and know what they're doing.

meh, Im over it. I like what Scruggs and Patterson have shown so if it were up to me its their job to lose
With all do respect, Gross! Thank god it’s not up to you. Were you not here for the David Carr years? You would think Texan fans of all fans would understand the importance of protecting the FRANCHISE! It appears we’ve been gifted from the football gods. No Way I’m risking that with those JAGs

With all do respect, Gross! Thank god it’s not up to you. Were you not here for the David Carr years? You would think Texan fans of all fans would understand the importance of protecting the FRANCHISE! It appears we’ve been gifted from the football gods. No Way I’m risking that with those JAGs
Both Scruggs and Patterson showed more that K. Green ever has...even when he was healthy. So according to play and talent shown form those three so far....whose the real JAG?
Do I hope he comes back healthy? Of course. Do I think he can beat out Scruggs or Patterson at LG...absolutely not...but let him prove me wrong vs just giving him the position b/c he was drafted high.

Back