Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What about Kenyon Green?

Marcus

Windmill cancer survivor
Contributor's Club
Has anyone heard anything about Kenyon Green? He was out the entire season, and Casserio told him to recover, rehab, and come back in good shape. Any info regarding him would be appreciated.

Kenyon has had problems with his knees, his pec and labrum. His knee issues dated back to 2021, so he's had plenty of time for this to be resolved as much as possible, without surgery. This will likely be a continuing issue and CnnnD thinks surgery is in his future. His pec was aggrevated by his shoulder issues, but also has had plenty of time to recover from. He had labrum surgery last August. Or maybe early September. This is what he's rehabbing from. Googling, I find non-sports recovery is 3 -4 months. So he should be good to go by OTA's and training camp.

Kenyon has had problems with his knees, his pec and labrum. His knee issues dated back to 2021, so he's had plenty of time for this to be resolved as much as possible, without surgery. This will likely be a continuing issue and CnnnD thinks surgery is in his future. His pec was aggrevated by his shoulder issues, but also has had plenty of time to recover from. He had labrum surgery last August. Or maybe early September. This is what he's rehabbing from. Googling, I find non-sports recovery is 3 -4 months. So he should be good to go by OTA's and training camp.
I thought he also had knee surgery during this yrs sabbatical.

This is a hope for the best, plan for the worst situation. Last year, they planned poorly. I think they will have a plan this year whether in house such as Juice, draft, FA or trade. Relying on Green is a fools errand.
They also still have Kendrick Green, Garrett Patterson and Nick Broeker still on the roster

These guys need to prove they are more than just backups. Still.
Broeker was a strange addition. Drafted last year by the Bills in the 7th, the Texans signed him off waivers on Aug 30 and then stashed him on the 53 all season without playing him. It looks like they were unwilling to risk placing him on the practice squad. They must have seen something, or really liked him, pre-draft, to waste a spot on the 53 on a nonplayer. He'll be a good one to watch this year.

Kendrick was a LG at Illinois in a ZBS system. Pittsburg drafted him in the 3rd and for 2 years tried to play him at Center (he did play 5 games, over 3 seasons, at the position at Illinois). Because of injuries, Caserio traded for him and coming in cold, he started 3 games at LG before he was injured. With minimum practice, he looked decent. He'll be another one to watch this year.

Last edited:
Broeker was a strange addition. Drafted last year by the Bills in the 7th, the Texans signed him off waivers on Aug 30 and then stashed him on the 53 all season without playing him. It looks like they were unwilling to risk placing him on the practice squad. They must have seen something, or really liked him, pre-draft, to waste a spot on the 53 on a nonplayer. He'll be a good one to watch this year.
If they had tried to put him on the practice squad they would have had to release him to clear waivers first. They knew he wouldn't clear

If they had tried to put him on the practice squad they would have had to release him to clear waivers first. They knew he wouldn't clear
Yes, that's what I was implying. But...so much interest in a 7th rounder?

I really really hope that Green doesn't turn out to be a wasted 1st round pick. I hope he comes back and does his job, but frankly, I wouldn't put any money on it.

At least Singletary scored some redemption points this season. He's solid as a rock when healthy.
Kendrick's natural position is LG. It was a disaster for Pittsburg moving him to Center. The Texans should not make the same mistake...leave him at LG.

Kenyon, on the other hand, played the 2019 season at RG while at A&M. It was his freshman season and his pass blocking was lacking. But graded in the 70s for his run blocking.

Patterson already has....will be our starting C or LG going forward. Will be interesting to see what comes of K. Green when he comes back this year and see where he's at health wise.
I have my doubts about Kenyon - several injuries now and he seems to be indifferent.
Cross my fingers that this past season has fired him up.

I watched Kenyon early in the season and he was slow, fat, and lacked coordination or athleticism or both. Never watched Kendrick Green .... but looking at his numbers, he's a hell of an athlete .... 6'2" or not, his kind of quicks are never bad in a ZBS !

I watched Kenyon early in the season and he was slow, fat, and lacked coordination or athleticism or both. Never watched Kendrick Green .... but looking at his numbers, he's a hell of an athlete .... 6'2" or not, his kind of quicks are never bad in a ZBS !
Seems to be a plethora of guards available in FA.
I want to see the run game bolstered this off season - it doesn't need a top tier guy and we have plenty of cap.
I think NC makes one splash signing and several solid rebuilding type signings as we are still in rebuilding mode.
RG and RT are two I hope they do something about.

I want to see the run game bolstered this off season - it doesn't need a top tier guy and we have plenty of cap.
I think NC makes one splash signing and several solid rebuilding type signings as we are still in rebuilding mode.
You know who we got the most predictably positive performance out of last year .... 6'1 310 right guard. When Pats drafted him, he was playing left tackle .... WELL ! Who is the littlest guy on our team .... I worry about his safety but when he's out there, he ain't playin' scared ! Some guys are just put together differently .... they actually believe they're as good as anyone on the field .... braver than me - and I respect the hell out of them !

I want to spend the resources elsewhere then IOL. We have Kendrik and Kenyon green, Scruggs, Patterson, Mason, Broeker, Quesenberry. They should be able to make that work, Scruggs, Kendrik, Patterson all have promise. Agree at RT they need a plan. Tytus tweets he is healing up, but he is only average

I want to spend the resources elsewhere then IOL. We have Kendrik and Kenyon green, Scruggs, Patterson, Mason, Broeker, Quesenberry. They should be able to make that work, Scruggs, Kendrik, Patterson all have promise. Agree at RT they need a plan. Tytus tweets he is healing up, but he is only average
Yeah with his contract, Texans are tied to him for a year or two so the next best thing is to have a strong partner at RG to help him out.

As far as we know, Green is recovering and rehabbing. Probably won't know much more until OTAs in late May.
During the season he's in Houston rehabbing at the facility, correct?

Hopefully they instilled good habits to get him through the offseason.

Awful pick. No other team would have drafted him that high. Caserio has that “smartest guy in the room” vibe and this pick is an example of that.
Was it Caserio's pick, or was he deferring to the coaching staff?
Doesn't matter. You have to judge the body of work. If the rest of his picks makes sense, then it's more likely that pick made sense & we just don't understand it. We're using media mocks & whatnot to determine what other teams would do even though they prove to be way off much of the time.

I'm not a big Caserio fan, but his draft picks seem to be paying off moreso than not as we go along.

I watched Kenyon early in the season and he was slow, fat, and lacked coordination or athleticism or both.
Where were you watching Kenyon Green early in the season? He's been on IR since August of last year.
During the season he's in Houston rehabbing at the facility, correct?
Green lives in Humble, so that would make sense.
Was it Caserio's pick, or was he deferring to the coaching staff?
That's getting old. How can we give credit to Caserio for the picks that went right if we can't question the picks that didn't?

...How can we give credit to Caserio for the picks that went right if we can't question the picks that didn't?
Caserio's been drafting only 3 years under three different coaching staffs, but first picks, whatever the round, are generally a team effect. And possibly the second. The deeper into the draft the more Caserio may have influence over who is selected, but even here, there are pre-draft discussion of players being targeted in these rounds if available.

One area you can always give credit to Caserio are trades and the menuvering he does to go after players they, as a team, have targeted.

So...Caserio doesn't, or shouldn't, get full credit for players selected in early rounds, good or bad. More so for players in later rounds. He should get all the credit in how the draft is conducted.

So...Caserio doesn't, or shouldn't, get full credit for players selected in early rounds, good or bad. More so for players in later rounds. He should get all the credit in how the draft is conducted.
Of course there's a team effort, from area scouts all the way up to Caserio. But Caserio calls the pick. The coaches may want the guy that's selected, but Caserio has to agree with them. That's why the "Player X is not Nick's pick" doesn't fly.

Last edited:
Of course there's a team effort, from area scouts all the way up to Caserio. But Caserio calls the pick. The coaches may want the guy that's selected, but Caserio has to agree with them. That's why the "Player X is not Nick's pick" doesn't fly.
Not necessarily true. Caserio may disagree with the pick the coaches want, but never-the-less concede the pick to them. The organization was in turmoil in 2021 and 2022. My understanding, and I could be wrong, is that the coaches were given more control over the first pick, maybe more, during the hiring process. 2023 was the first year, we hope, that represents a return to a more normal structure.

Do you think if Ryans wanted say Quinyon Mitchell and Caserio wanted Brian Thomas that Mitchell wouldn't be the pick?

Do you think if Ryans wanted say Quinyon Mitchell and Caserio wanted Brian Thomas that Mitchell wouldn't be the pick?
I think there would be an agreement long before the Texans were on the clock. But I don't really see your scenario, as Ryans has never put that much value on a CB. The Patriots did take a WR in the 1st round during Nick's tenure (N'Keal Harry). But the word is that Belichick overruled the scouts on the pick. There's only rank speculation that Caserio has been overruled on picks the past 3 drafts.

I think there would be an agreement long before the Texans were on the clock. But I don't really see your scenario, as Ryans has never put that much value on a CB. The Patriots did take a WR in the 1st round during Nick's tenure (N'Keal Harry). But the word is that Belichick overruled the scouts on the pick. There's only rank speculation that Caserio has been overruled on picks the past 3 drafts.
Your missing the point,

Ok, if Ryans wanted Murphy or Newton and Caserio wanted Thomas who do you think the pick would be?

Tricky Nicky gets none of the blame and all the credit. It's almost cult-like with some of you fine feathered fans.

If Green is a bust, it's not Nicky's fault. We get it. Now go back to staring at your centerfold poster with Nicky looking hot in his vest while eating raw mushrooms.

Tricky Nicky gets none of the blame and all the credit. It's almost cult-like with some of you fine feathered fans.

If Green is a bust, it's not Nicky's fault. We get it. Now go back to staring at your centerfold poster with Nicky looking hot in his vest while eating raw mushrooms.
Who's giving him all of the credit? He's working with Ryans/Slowik to get players Ryans/Slowik want for their systems. They're working together but like I said Caserio/Scouts are doing the leg work and getting Ryans the guys he wants. After the RS/BOB yrs I get that it might look unusual for a HC/GM to be working together. If they succeed both Caserio and Ryans will succeed together. If they fail they will fail together.

Caserio was working with Lovie this same way. Caserio working with Culley this way? Not so much.

I think this makes the most sense. Kenyon Green does not seem to be "panning out" to say the least, but I haven't given up hope. He may end up being a rock on the line for years to come, but I would probably bet against it. Regardless of what he does this coming season, I still think we have enough talent to have a good-to-great line because of this coaching staff and because Stroud gets rid of the ball.

Also, they seem to be able to coach guys up and scheme around injuries. I don't have a problem with them grabbing an IL in one of the later rounds of the draft or if they can have a modest FA signing that shores up the line if that's what the braintrust decides. They have earned A LITTLE leeway based on the decisions they've made since they decided to hire Demeco.

Assuming everyone flops and Patterson and Scruggs regress, and no other guy can step up (Kendrick Green or other ILs), I would think that Caserio could trade a 6-7th on someone with an expiring deal to plug a hole if we have a disastrous rash of injuries on the OL like we had last year. The odds of that happening have to be pretty remote. IMO no need to spend big (or possibly at all) on the OL when we have a lot of other needs. The real issue with the line has been running the ball and a good deal of that may have more to do with the RB's vision than it does with the OL creating a hole and getting to the second level. Time will tell.

I would like to say that your post did make me laugh IRL, so I enjoyed it. But I don't think that's what the majority of those posters are saying (I'm not ignoring the cult-like way that some people cling to certain coaches, players, or members of the front office, because that definitely is the case with some of them). It's pretty clear from the interviews he's given and his draft picks that Caserio gets a lot of input about who his HC wants before he drafts them and combines that with what he thinks/sees on film and what his scouting department comes up with. It's collaborative. I don't think they would have traded up for WAJ if pretty much everyone was on board. If Green flops, yes, that's on Caserio but it's also on all the other people that were a part of it...that likely we will never know.

Yes, some people say "Why even have a GM if he's just going to pick the guys that the HC wants?" but in reality, unless you are a grade A moron, as a GM want to make sure that the players you draft see the field and succeed so you don't get fired.

We've seen what happens when you draft a player that is in completely the wrong scheme so many times, I don't know why people think this is an issue or why you would want such a stubborn GM that can't pick players that thrive in their current HC's system.

BTW I love raw mushrooms.

Where were you watching Kenyon Green early in the season? He's been on IR since August of last year.

Green lives in Humble, so that would make sense.

That's getting old. How can we give credit to Caserio for the picks that went right if we can't question the picks that didn't?

I watched him in 2 - 4 games his senior year. I knew we needed a left guard, saw that he was rated highly, so I watched him. I don't remember who the Aggies were playing .... but he was terrible - had almost zero athleticism, and he needed to lose 50 lbs and then put back on 35 lbs of muscle. I know that's harsh .... but it's honest. Maybe he has an allergy to the weight room ! Seems like a coach along the way would've had an honest conversation with him. I wanted Ikem Ekwonu, Zion Johnson, and trade back up a few spots for Tyler Lindbaum .... would've been a great start to one of the best OLines ever .... those guys are always top rated near the top on every chart I see. I heard Wade Smith and Chester Smith both say on KILT, several times, that we needed to find some interior linemen, if we wanted to upgrade the running game. They were both reticent to say it on air - reluctant to tell the truth about current players .... when they did, I believed them.

Last edited:
I believe the Texans finally have a GM and HC who understand the concept of working together to put the best players on the field.

I didn’t detect any animosity in this year’s draft picks when Ryans and Caserio were interviewed…..matter of fact, I saw a GM/HC smiling like a couple of possum’s eating shite out of a wire brush. I’m looking forward to seeing what the two of them have planned for this years draft and off-season.

Last edited:
Not necessarily true. Caserio may disagree with the pick the coaches want, but never-the-less concede the pick to them. The organization was in turmoil in 2021 and 2022. My understanding, and I could be wrong, is that the coaches were given more control over the first pick, maybe more, during the hiring process. 2023 was the first year, we hope, that represents a return to a more normal structure.
The way I see it, the coaches know their schemes better than the GM and that is exactly why the GM may defer to them.
Seems to me the GM coordinates the scouting reports and prospect visits as he sees the value and also considers the scheme fits.

Back