Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What about Kenyon Green?

I know I may sound like a broken record, but why invest so heavily again at LG? We have 3 players (3 of these 4 as one of these player will be the C: Juice, Patterson, Kendrick Green, Kenyon Green) that has a real shot at being a legitimate LG. I wouldn't be surprised if they find an IOL guy in the draft on Day 2-3. Will they all flop? Maybe? How the hell should I know?

But what I do know is that I have faith in DeMeco/Caserio to go out and trade a Day 2/Day 3 pick for a legit player if near the end of camp they don't trust who they have on the roster. Last year they showed me that they're not scared to make a move to keep CJ upright.

I know I may sound like a broken record, but why invest so heavily again at LG? We have 3 players (3 of these 4 as one of these player will be the C: Juice, Patterson, Kendrick Green, Kenyon Green) that has a real shot at being a legitimate LG. I wouldn't be surprised if they find an IOL guy in the draft on Day 2-3. Will they all flop? Maybe? How the hell should I know?

But what I do know is that I have faith in DeMeco/Caserio to go out and trade a Day 2/Day 3 pick for a legit player if near the end of camp they don't trust who they have on the roster. Last year they showed me that they're not scared to make a move to keep CJ upright.
I think this is most likely how they find their swing OT.

I think this is most likely how they find their swing OT.

I could move on from Kendrick Green and keep Kenyon Green as a swing OG/C. I don't like the Mason or Howard contracts b/c they're both getting dominant RG and RT pay for performances that are not living up to the money.

From the looks of it, Howard's money would be the toughest to eat. Mason's would hurt less, but nonetheless it would hurt. Why mention this? This OL has established the Texans as a passing team with no running game to respect. Getting a respectful running game in place seems to be a Ryans, Slowick and Caserio's goal. That begins and ends with a competent OL in the run game.

At this time, I'm not sure it's the Tackles who should be held accountable for the lack of good running lanes or the Guards. One thing I know for certain, there's no harm in admitting to player personnel mistakes since it happens to the best of them. The worst thing is living with a mistake versus correcting it.

I'm still a trenches guy who feels like the best hopes of long term success start with those guys doing the dirty work.

Let the screaming begin....b/c I would do the following:

SIGN / DRAFT:
OG- Dalton Risner (MIN) He's a stud LG and was a stud RG at K-State. I really hoped the Texans had selected him in the draft, but he's there for the signing now. I'd put him at RG in every attempt to make Howard better.
OT- Tyler Guyton (Oklahoma) This guy is going to be a stud in both the passing game and run game as both are his strengths. Texans could be in the OT market sooner than later b/c of both Tunsil and Howard's ongoing injury histories. Having Guyton there as a Swing tackle to begin with could be the right insurance until he's ready to go full-time.

OL:
LT- Tunsil / Guyton (R)
LG- Scruggs / Green / Patterson / Broeker /
OC- Patterson / Green / Scruggs
RG- Risner / Broeker / Eislen
RT- Howard / Guyton (R) / Zeirer / Scaife

I'd put this OL personnel against any OL in the NFL.

DE- Danielle Hunter (MIN) This guy has done nothing more than stay healthy and highly productive in 7 of his 8 NFL seasons. He'd be a perfect weapon for Ryans and an excellent bookend to Anderson. The Texans need to sign their IDL free agents b/c they were solid in the run game. Adding Hunter would give them a healthy and productive DE to get more pressure on the QB.
LB- Patrick Queen (BAL) This simple....he also stays healthy and productive. Cashman's monetary demands off one good and reasonable healthy season may get too close to Queen's money to justify re-signing him. Queen is just a few steps up the rung over Cashman and would pay dividends for Ryans defense while making the LB'ers better.
LB- Chris Braeswell (Alabama) Another Crimson Tide defender that will make his NFL impact felt. He's seriously fast and would be a nice threat outside to get to the QB. Imagine the impact he'd have working behind Hunter or Anderson and next to Queen. I think this selection would make Ryans a very happy coach.

DL/LB:
LDE- Anderson / Sanders / Gaye
LDT- Rankins (RE-Signed) / Davis / Ridgeway (Re-Signed)
RDT- Collins / Hinish / Agim
RDE- Hunter / Horton / Haynes
WLB- Harris / Hansen
MLB- Queen / Hewitt
SLB- Braeswell (R) / To'oTo'o

I could say that Ryans and his front seven would make every NFL offense worry about their matchup with this defense.

Last edited:
I could move on from Kendrick Green and keep Kenyon Green as a swing OG/C. I don't like the Mason or Howard contracts b/c they're both getting dominant RG and RT pay for performances that are not living up to the money.

From the looks of it, Howard's money would be the toughest to eat. Mason's would hurt less, but nonetheless it would hurt. Why mention this? This OL has established the Texans as a passing team with no running game to respect. Getting a respectful run in place seems to Ryans, Slowick and Caserio's goal. That begins and ends with a competent run game.

At this time, I'm not sure it's the Tackles who should be held accountable for the lack of good running lanes or the Guards. One thing I know for certain, there's no harm in admitting to player personnel mistakes since it happens to the best of them. The worst thing is living with a mistake versus correcting it.

I'm still a trenches guy who feels like the best hopes of long term success start with those guys doing the dirty work.

SIGN / DRAFT:
OG- Dalton Risner (MIN) He's a stud LG and was a stud RG at K-State. I really hoped the Texans had selected him in the draft, but he's there for the signing now. I'd put him at RT in every attempt to make Howard better.
OT- Tyler Guyton (Oklahoma) This guy is going to be a stud in both the passing game and run game as both are his strengths. Texans could be in the OT market sooner than later b/c of both Tunsil and Howard's ongoing injury histories. Having Guyton there as a Swing tackle to begin with could be the right insurance until he's ready to go full-time.

OL:
LT- Tunsil / Guyton (R)
LG- Scruggs / Green Patterson / Broeker /

DE- Danielle Hunter (MIN) This guy has done nothing more than stay healthy and highly productive in 7 of his 8 NFL seasons. He'd be a perfect weapon for Ryans and an excellent bookend to Anderson. The Texans need to sign their IDL free agents b/c they were solid in the run game. Adding Hunter would give them a healthy and productive DE to get more pressure on the QB.
LB- Patrick Queen (BAL) This simple....he also stays healthy and productive. Cashman's monetary demands off one good and reasonable healthy season may get too close to Queen's money to justify re-signing him. Queen is just a few steps up the rung over Cashman and would pay dividends for Ryans defense while making the LB'ers better.
LB- Chris Braeswell (Alabama) Another Crimson Tide defender that will make his NFL impact felt. He's seriously fast and would be a nice threat outside to get to the QB. Imagine the impact he'd have working behind Hunter or Anderson and next to Queen. I think this selection would make Ryans a very happy coach.

DL/LB:
WLB- Harris / Hansen
MLB- Queen / Hewitt

I could say that Ryans and his front seven would make every NFL offense worry about their matchup with this defense.
Texans Oline was ranked 15-17th last season despite being one of the most banged up in the league. I think FO will want to run with most of these guys again and hope for a healthier season.
The only way they take another OL high in this draft is if they let one of the better guys walk.
We'll have to wait and see what happens there.

Texans Oline was ranked 15-17th last season despite being one of the most banged up in the league. I think FO will want to run with most of these guys again and hope for a healthier season.
The only way they take another OL high in this draft is if they let one of the better guys walk.
We'll have to wait and see what happens there.

Reps and continuity in the scheme is worth more than any single player addition. Only addition i’d make is a swing OT as insurance for Howard. Re-sign Fant and that is settled.

OL was so banged up last season that I find it hard for lightning to strike twice. I’d let the young guys duke it out for LG/C.

From the looks of it, Howard's money would be the toughest to eat. Mason's would hurt less, but nonetheless it would hurt. Why mention this? This OL has established the Texans as a passing team with no running game to respect. Getting a respectful running game in place seems to be a Ryans, Slowick and Caserio's goal. That begins and ends with a competent run game.

SIGN / DRAFT:
OG- Dalton Risner (MIN) He's a stud LG and was a stud RG at K-State. I really hoped the Texans had selected him in the draft, but he's there for the signing now. I'd put him at RG in every attempt to make Howard better.

OL:
LT- Tunsil / Guyton (R)
LG- Scruggs / Green / Patterson / Broeker /

DL/LB:
WLB- Harris / Hansen
MLB- Queen / Hewitt

You're trying to play Madden. If Risner is a stud, why is he free? As much as I like Hunter, how can you sign he and Queen? I respect the time you put into it, but it's pretty unrealistic

You're trying to play Madden. If Risner is a stud, why is he free? As much as I like Hunter, how can you sign he and Queen? I respect the time you put into it, but it's pretty unrealistic

Risner would be available b/c of money. He left the Broncos as a FA and signed with the Vikings. He took a 1 year 4M dollar deal. He did a great job in Minnesota when he took over as starter. I believe Risner could be an affordable signing on a 3 year contract. He was top 5 last season in pass protection win rate and has always been a solid run blocker. As I mentioned in another post, he also brings the versatility of playing LG in the NFL after being a stud RG for Kansas State.

Getting players under contract could be accomplished. Are you saying there is absolutely no way the Texans could get creative in regards to signing these players? For some teams front loading contracts seems to be the most prolific way of navigating the monetary hurdles.

Risner would be available b/c of money. He left the Broncos as a FA and signed with the Vikings. He took a 1 year 4M dollar deal. He did a great job in Minnesota when he took over as starter. I believe Risner could be an affordable signing on a 3 year contract. He was top 5 last season in pass protection win rate and has always been a solid run blocker. As I mentioned in another post, he also brings the versatility of playing LG in the NFL after being a stud RG for Kansas State.

Getting players under contract could be accomplished. Are you saying there is absolutely no way the Texans could get creative in regards to signing these players? For some teams front loading contracts seems to be the most prolific way of navigating the monetary hurdles.
If he was top 5 in pb and Minnesota got him for 4m, what do you think he's gonna ask for? 1 yr 4m is a depth signing. His agent see Mason getting 10m per which is top 5.What do you think he's gonna ask for? There also has to be a question about why he was available for so long and cheap. He didn't get his 5th yr option picked up. Then he signed for nfl pennies.

If he was top 5 in pb and Minnesota got him for 4m, what do you think he's gonna ask for? 1 yr 4m is a depth signing. His agent see Mason getting 10m per which is top 5.What do you think he's gonna ask for? There also has to be a question about why he was available for so long and cheap. He didn't get his 5th yr option picked up. Then he signed for nfl pennies.
Risner was drafted in round 2, so no 5th year option.

Risner was drafted in round 2, so no 5th year option.
So a stud guard drafted in 2nd rd doesn't even get a tender from the team that drafted him? Then he signs a 1 yr 4m deal with Minny and they didn't even offer him anything despite him being top 5? Yet, the Texans are gonna offer him what? His market looks like a depth piece.

So a stud guard drafted in 2nd rd doesn't even get a tender from the team that drafted him? Then he signs a 1 yr 4m deal with Minny and they didn't even offer him anything despite him being top 5? Yet, the Texans are gonna offer him what? His market looks like a depth piece.
I'd pass on Risner and go with what we have but signing a RT in free agency. We'll also need to sign a couple of RTs for training camp and later the practice squad. Same for the other positions, but for the final 53, my expectations are to go into next season with our current players plus one RT capable of starting.

I'd pass on Risner and go with what we have but signing a RT in free agency. We'll also need to sign a couple of RTs for training camp and later the practice squad. Same for the other positions, but for the final 53, my expectations are to go into next season with our current players plus one RT capable of starting.
I'm not saying he can't be depth, I'm just saying he's depth

When Dalton Risner came out, he was part of my imagined dream team front five .... I remember he was on the left side and "stronger than 9 yards of onions"! That's an old country boy football idiom .... never did look it up !

I'm not saying he can't be depth, I'm just saying he's depth

4. G DALTON RISNER, MINNESOTA VIKINGS
2024 Free agency rank: 65
Risner’s 2023 free agency didn’t pan out as he’d hoped, so he bided his time before joining the Minnesota Vikings a few weeks into the 2023 season on a one-year flier. Risner quickly supplanted Ezra Cleveland at left guard and has been a plus pass protector for the fifth season in a row.
Risner does well to initiate contact with a solid punch, ensuring he doesn’t expose his chest or get his hands swatted away. Even on bull rushes where Risner is driven back and gives up pressure, he keeps his feet square and stays in front of the rusher to prevent a hit on the quarterback, frequently providing this signal-caller with just enough time to still get a pass off.

Nice depth piece.....for a RG at Kansas State who switched to LG in the NFL.

4. G DALTON RISNER, MINNESOTA VIKINGS
2024 Free agency rank: 65
....Nice depth piece.....for a RG at Kansas State who switched to LG in the NFL.
Risner was a dominate RIGHT TACKLE at Kansas State, with both pass blocking and run blocking PFF grades in the 80's and 90's. He's got 34" arms and 10" hands.

Switching to LG with Denver, his pass blocking was in the low 70's and run blocking in the low 60's.

Don't know why Denver moved him inside to Guard, but could the Texans move him back to RT, where he did dominate in college? Against what level of competition? How difficult of a move back would this be?

What I love about TT is that we can call a second-round rookie C who played in only 7 games - all out of position because of the historical level of OL injuries - a JAG.
He was selected to be the starter at offensive Center and I think if he can play there this season, he will be way more than just a jag. Same with Jarrett Patterson whom I project to left guard. I wished we had someone I could project to right tackle starter. Hopefully that will take place next week.

Risner was a dominate RIGHT TACKLE at Kansas State, with both pass blocking and run blocking PFF grades in the 80's and 90's. He's got 34" arms and 10" hands.

Switching to LG with Denver, his pass blocking was in the low 70's and run blocking in the low 60's.

Don't know why Denver moved him inside to Guard, but could the Texans move him back to RT, where he did dominate in college? Against what level of competition? How difficult of a move back would this be?

If they moved him from outside to inside its a feet issue. Your feet have to be good despite your arm length.

Back