Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Welcome to Houston Tyrann Mathieu

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
How is that even a comparison? Burfict is widely regarded as one of the dirtiest players in the league and Deshaun is one of the most liked...
The point is retaliation & dirty plays in general aren't just limited to dirt bags like Burfict & if you cosign things like what i posted, then you should be prepared for some "get back" from the opposition. Unlike the Burfict situation, these types of dirty plays most likely don't happen to the guy committing the dirty play, they happen to someone else not involved.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
It's kind of interesting looking at Cushing's departure and Mathieu's arrival. The Texans lost Cushing's energy, leadership, excitement and ferociousness. Then they go out and sign The Honey Badger, who has all those characteristics in spades but also youth and increased athleticism. And now RAC can be incredibly inventive with coverages and blitz's. I could not possibly be happier about Mathieu being a Texan.
Is there any indications of playing a leadership role in Badgers past ? Was he elected a captain when playing for Arizona or in college at LSU ?

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
And now RAC can be incredibly inventive with coverages and blitz's. I could not possibly be happier about Mathieu being a Texan.
I'd love to see badge used in a variety of methods. Blitz packages like polamalu. Enforcing the middle like Rodney Harrison. Playing centerfield like Rod Woodson. Blanketing somebody like Gronk in the playoffs. He gives us flexibility when our base package is caught against 3 or 4 wr sets.

Rac has that chance to be inventive now. Will we? It remains to be seen.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
I'd love to see badge used in a variety of methods. Blitz packages like polamalu. Enforcing the middle like Rodney Harrison. Playing centerfield like Rod Woodson. Blanketing somebody like Gronk in the playoffs. He gives us flexibility when our base package is caught against 3 or 4 wr sets.

Rac has that chance to be inventive now. Will we? It remains to be seen.
I think he will mainly be used around the line of scrimmage to disrupt the quick timing passing games offenses will need to employ to slow down the pass rush. Between Honey Badger and Colvin we upgraded that aspect of our defense tremendously.

My only concern aside from health of our studs obviously is the deep passing game. If the pass rush doesn't get there, like last season after JJ/Mercilus went down. If we could improve anywhere it would be to add a centerfielder at safety so Honey Badger can roam near the line of scrimmage. Also add another young CB but with 4.3 speed...someone that can run with the Will Fullers of the league that will be our defense's biggest weakness.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I think he will mainly be used around the line of scrimmage to disrupt the quick timing passing games offenses will need to employ to slow down the pass rush. Between Honey Badger and Colvin we upgraded that aspect of our defense tremendously.

My only concern aside from health of our studs obviously is the deep passing game. If the pass rush doesn't get there, like last season after JJ/Mercilus went down. If we could improve anywhere it would be to add a centerfielder at safety so Honey Badger can roam near the line of scrimmage. Also add another young CB but with 4.3 speed...someone that can run with the Will Fullers of the league that will be our defense's biggest weakness.
Gaine and OB have both said multiple times that one of the top goals this off-season is to increase speed in the secondary

austins23

Hall of Fame
HB calls out the Cowboys secondary
He's not wrong but imo he tweets too much.
I could find 5 guys from work that would be better than what the Cowboys have/had in its secondary! HB is absolutely right. Does he tweet too much, like you said, maybe. But the guy has a chip on his shoulder. If it motivates him to play better, I'm all for it. And JJ tweets about his workout and off field stuff. He's not talking smack or calling folks out. If he has, I missed it.

Carry that chip HB and bust some *** this year!

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
I could find 5 guys from work that would be better than what the Cowboys have/had in its secondary! HB is absolutely right. Does he tweet too much, like you said, maybe. But the guy has a chip on his shoulder. If it motivates him to play better, I'm all for it. And JJ tweets about his workout and off field stuff. He's not talking smack or calling folks out. If he has, I missed it.

Yeah, I was referencing JJ's workout vids which HB posts a bunch of as well.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club

I recall quite a bit of smack talk about Taylor Lewan from JJ... j/s

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Really excited about how the Texans handle the passing game between the hashes with the offseason additions in the secondary and moving K Jax to safety full time. Everybody added is a sound tackler as well as a good athlete.

Speaking of tackling... i’m eager to see the Texans get back to being one of the best fundamental tackling defenses under Crennel. It seemed like the defense regressed in that area last season with lots of missed tackles compared to the season before. I don’t know what RAC does differently but it works!

Reactions: JB

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Really excited about how the Texans handle the passing game between the hashes with the offseason additions in the secondary and moving K Jax to safety full time. Everybody added is a sound tackler as well as a good athlete.

Speaking of tackling... i’m eager to see the Texans get back to being one of the best fundamental tackling defenses under Crennel. It seemed like the defense regressed in that area last season with lots of missed tackles compared to the season before. I don’t know what RAC does differently but it works!
He puts people in the right spots to succeed. Last year Vrabel was blitzing so much guys had to scramble to get in the play

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Yep with Mathieu/Jackson/Reid you have a massive upgrade when it comes to tackling on the backend. Moore was terrible an Hal (God bless him) wasn't a good enough tackler to be the last line of defense.

Also with these Safeties hopefully the crossing patterns that teams ran against the secondary should atleast be held down some with Jackson/Reid back there. I see Mathieu playing closer to the LOS.

See there's a positive Texans note, for those that think all I do is hate on everything Texans.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
I know it’s one game - but when do you start talking about signing a player to prevent them going free agent during the season?

Asking for a friend.

Seriously though- he and only a few others prepared and came to play yesterday.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
With K-jo gone for at least 4 weeks, i hope & pray K-jax moves back to cb, and Reid replaces him at safety. I liked what i saw from the kid as opposed to what i know i'll get from Bademosi. Hopefully Kayvon Webster can come and contribute at some point.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
Mathieu will have a pretty good year playing for RAC and then parlay that into a nice fat contract with a contender next year during free agency. Honey Badger ain't stupid.

nytexan

Waterboy
It's been so long since I've seen really good safety play out of the Texans that I'm almost wanting to say that was the best that group has ever played for them. Somebody please help me if I'm wrong but I thought that group was outstanding in that game.

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club
It's been so long since I've seen really good safety play out of the Texans that I'm almost wanting to say that was the best that group has ever played for them. Somebody please help me if I'm wrong but I thought that group was outstanding in that game.
I was actually not worried about the big play as I usually am.

badboy

Hall of Fame
From Aaron Wilson Houston Chronicle November 20 2018 Tyrann Mathieu "I think I have long was to go, but think we are on right start, I thought I picked right guys to go to war with, go to battle with each and every week. I told these guys last night how much I love them, how much I enjoy playing with them." He goes on to say very thankful coming to new city and new team not knowing what to expect ---things going well for him, looking forward to rest of year. After ten games 60 tackles, two INTs for 24 yards and three sacks for 20 yards. He is on a one year contract with a guaranteed $7 million cap cost.

Nothing new but he still seems positive on his experience in Houston.

Porky

Hall of Fame
We need to go balls to the wall to sign him to a long term contract. That would potentially give this team two safety's playing like 1st rd draft picks, with KJax the wildcard, also playing like a 1st rounder at safety/corner.

For a team whose entire history is basically treating safety like somewhere between punter and water boy on the importance list, it's a stunning turnaround. Now the trick is to keep this trio together.

Shishkabob

All Pro
We need to go balls to the wall to sign him to a long term contract. That would potentially give this team two safety's playing like 1st rd draft picks, with KJax the wildcard, also playing like a 1st rounder at safety/corner.

For a team whose entire history is basically treating safety like somewhere between punter and water boy on the importance list, it's a stunning turnaround. Now the trick is to keep this trio together.
I think you need to re-sign him just for what he brings to our locker room if nothing else. He has also been instrumental in making sure guys are in the right position presnap.

Anyone else notice before JJs sack, HB came sprinting down to tell JJ something than ran back right before the ball was snapped? Makes me wonder if he recognized a play from back there, and told JJ he was free to rush outside hard or something.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

If they need to cut Blue Miller and DT to make this happen, they should do it.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I think you need to re-sign him just for what he brings to our locker room if nothing else. He has also been instrumental in making sure guys are in the right position presnap.

Anyone else notice before JJs sack, HB came sprinting down to tell JJ something than ran back right before the ball was snapped? Makes me wonder if he recognized a play from back there, and told JJ he was free to rush outside hard or something.
Quite a difference from the importance placed on the safety position during the Ricky yrs. You think BOB/RAC were making the calls on who was added to the safety position before Gaine started running the show?

Scooter

Funky
I've said this a few times, but IMO the biggest thing Badger brings is versatility - not just himself, but what the rest of the secondary can do around him. His ability to play slot, blitz, mid zone, deep zone - that gives guys like Hal and Reid options to play into their strengths. And as someone who's been supporting Kareem longer than 'contract year', THIS is what I've been seeing for the past few years - he's been too buried in saving the defense that he's not had a chance to lead the defense. Badger gives Kareem that ability, and vice versa - strengthening each other's position. If not for Kareem, Badger would probably be in that spot right now, trying to duct tape the secondary together and put in no-win situations.

Last edited:

badboy

Hall of Fame
With nothing more on contract negotiations, perhaps he agreed on one to be announced post season.