Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Welcome to Houston Tyrann Mathieu

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You were talking about locker room togetherness
Talent equals winning usually and winning usually makes people happy. This makes for a happy lockerroom usually.

I just believe teams that are built like the Eagles/Pats/Minny are built the right way. fa/draft complimenting each other. Like the Pats today traded draft spots in some rd to get Patterson. He will replace Lewis/Amendola at KR/PR. Think that Patterson could've helped with the ST's? These are the types of moves that need to be made at this time in FA.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
What I really think is pain thresholds are very individual. Neither you nor Doc can judge that for him. He'll walk away at some point, Bob Lilly salute. Until then, calling him out is a fool's errand.

And just because this is who JJ reminds me of:

Problem is JJ looked like just another guy last season before getting hurt again. I thought he'd come back and tear it up, because of his work ethic and because he was JJ. He just didn't. I'm not that confident that we'll ever get that player again. I'm hoping that we can at least get the rookie version of what JJ was his first year. He was a solid all around DE that year. If we can get him to that level at this point, I'd be happy with that.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Generally agree. But I think JJ has people's expectations elevated. They want Superman.

JJ had two stuffs in his 1st 4 plays last year. Any other guy we'd be "damn." When it's JJ we go, "looks average."

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
the thing is you want to bring in Suh, but he was a divisive figure in the locker room at Nebraska, he was the samenin Detroit, and he was such a locker room ca never in Miami that they are willing to pay him 22 mil to have him not play for them.

You can sign a player like that when you have the right locker room culture, and are winning regularly. that's why the patriots do well with guys like that, because when the team is winning you can't be a locker room cancer because the rest of the team will shun you. If you are having a down season though that's when players like suh can take over and tear a team apart, it's been proven at numerous stops of his. While I think we are improving it is still a high possibility that we have a mediocre or below average season which could give suh his in to divide the locker room. he has visited the titans and the saints now and left both without a contract
I've got a tough time believing Suh went into those meeting prepared to sabotage his chances. I'm just about 100% certain he put his best foot forward but may have had much higher financial expectations....maybe more than those teams wanted to pay. I'd like to see the Texans invite him in for interview. Gaine should include the defenses core guys in this meeting just so Suh can get their perspective and expectations. Let him sale the guys and team on what he could bring to the team and what his expectations are in regards to winning. They should include a visit to the Astros Clubhouse so they can see how a Championship team goes about their business while maintaining a positive energy within their clubhouse.

Fred

Veteran
Based on JJ Watt being JJ Watt and JD Clowney being JD Clowney. It's hard to be a selfish a$$hole when surrounded by players of that caliber. The Texans are known for having a great locker room.
So how did that work out with Sam Montgomery and Louis Nix?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
yes because we all know the key to winning a championship is players fighting with each other, and revolting against coaches. you sound more ignorant with every post you make
I'm not talking about this kind of discontent. I'm talking about adding an all pro who as long as you're winning will be fine and frankly I like guys that are surly when they lose.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I'm not talking about this kind of discontent. I'm talking about adding an all pro who as long as you're winning will be fine and frankly I like guys that are surly when they lose.

Then you must've LOVED the Ed Reed signing. Look here's the bottom line. You need both talent and locker room chemistry to win in this league, it ain't black and white like you try to portray it. The Texans drafting only these good guy types has been overplayed anyway. There have been plenty of jackasses this team has churned through here. We've just been fortunate enough to not have any of the Aaron Hernandez types.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I didn't like the Reed signing because CnD told us he was hurt.

Who are these jackasses? I'm sure there have been a few in 15 years but not many.

You relating this to Hernandez shows me that you don't get where I'm coming from. Let's try something different and emulate successful teams around the league. The #4 ranked DT would be a great place to start. They have the $$$$.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
Texans are bargain shopping .. Suh is on his last contract .. not a match, but to say he couldn't help the team is ignoring the lack of depth on DL. Add to that McNairs desire for a choir boy roster and it's even less probable.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I didn't like the Reed signing because CnD told us he was hurt.

Who are these jackasses? I'm sure there have been a few in 15 years but not many.

You relating this to Hernandez shows me that you don't get where I'm coming from. Let's try something different and emulate successful teams around the league. The #4 ranked DT would be a great place to start. They have the $$$$.
Malcontents who ultimately wrote their own ticket out of town:

Jerome Mathis
Jameel Cook

Mr. "pay me rick" himself that all you guys were in an uproar about around here.

The trio of Sam Montgomery, Cierre Wood & Willie Jefferson for that **** they pulled

Ed Reed

& some put Duane Brown in the "jackass" category for his stuff last year.

there are a few others as well that i can't think of.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Malcontents who ultimately wrote their own ticket out of town:

Jerome Mathis
Jameel Cook

Mr. "pay me rick" himself that all you guys were in an uproar about around here.

The trio of Sam Montgomery, Cierre Wood & Willie Jefferson for that **** they pulled

Ed Reed

& some put Duane Brown in the "jackass" category for his stuff last year.

there are a few others as well that i can't think of.
How many of these were talented guys and yes it makes a difference. # Winning

michaelm

vox nihili
Texans are bargain shopping .. Suh is on his last contract .. not a match, but to say he couldn't help the team is ignoring the lack of depth on DL. Add to that McNairs desire for a choir boy roster and it's even less probable.
Admittedly I haven't followed Suh closely so I can't really judge his recent play quality, but my gut feeling is your can get maybe 80-90% of his performance level from another player for half the price and without risking locker room chemistry.
Feels like they could get better value.
Obviously I'm generalizing to illustrate my point...

badboy

Hall of Fame
So?? Are you saying we shouldn’t sign anymore FAs unless One of our players tweets for it???
really...you be silly. Merely said that players like Hopkins and Watt tweeted regularly on players they thought were good enough to play for Texans and they wanted them to come to Houston. No one tweeted that for Suh. My comment was directed at that and you know it. Doesn't have anything to do with other FA.

zshawn10

All Pro
Brian T. Smith

✔@ChronBrianSmith

Mathieu said he considered staying with Arizona after pay cut. #Texans

1:48 PM - Mar 19, 2018

Brian T. Smith

✔@ChronBrianSmith

Mathieu: "I get to play with Clowney and Watt. I'm going to have a lot of fun." #Texans

1:45 PM - Mar 19, 2018

Aaron Wilson@AaronWilson_NFL

Tyrann Mathieu on choosing the Texans: 'I had other options on the table, obviously more money, but the Texans were the best decision for me'

1:42 PM - Mar 19, 2018

John McClain

✔@McClain_on_NFL

Mathieu said having Deshaun Watson at quarterback played a part in him coming to Houston.

1:41 PM - Mar 19, 2018

Drew Dougherty

✔@DoughertyDrew

Mathieu said he's willing to play S/CB/Nickel corner. Will line up wherever coaches ask him to.

1:39 PM - Mar 19, 2018

John McClain

✔@McClain_on_NFL

At is news conference, Mathieu said JJ Watt recruited him. Said they've been friends for a few years because they have the same agent, Tom Condon.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
So how did that work out with Sam Montgomery and Louis Nix?
Two young turds that didn't have the talent or draft position to warrant dealing with their BS. Nix was more of an injury issue, also. 3rd round picks don't get nearly the leeway a 1st rounder gets.

Fred

Veteran
Two young turds that didn't have the talent or draft position to warrant dealing with their BS. Nix was more of an injury issue, also. 3rd round picks don't get nearly the leeway a 1st rounder gets.
Nix was widely considered a 1st round talent, and Montgomery was by some people. If Watt and Clowney wouldn't / couldn't provide leadership that will help change 3rd round rookies attitudes then it seems very unlikely they will have any impact on a high profile veteran.

frethack

Rookie
Brian T. Smith

@ChronBrianSmith

Mathieu said he considered staying with Arizona after pay cut. #Texans

1:48 PM - Mar 19, 2018

Brian T. Smith

@ChronBrianSmith

Mathieu: "I get to play with Clowney and Watt. I'm going to have a lot of fun." #Texans

1:45 PM - Mar 19, 2018

Aaron Wilson@AaronWilson_NFL

Tyrann Mathieu on choosing the Texans: 'I had other options on the table, obviously more money, but the Texans were the best decision for me'

1:42 PM - Mar 19, 2018

John McClain

@McClain_on_NFL

Mathieu said having Deshaun Watson at quarterback played a part in him coming to Houston.

1:41 PM - Mar 19, 2018

Drew Dougherty

@DoughertyDrew

Mathieu said he's willing to play S/CB/Nickel corner. Will line up wherever coaches ask him to.

John McClain

@McClain_on_NFL

At is news conference, Mathieu said JJ Watt recruited him. Said they've been friends for a few years because they have the same agent, Tom Condon.

RAC is gonna have fun with this kid. Hopefully leaving money on the table to be here means that he has plans to stay.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Uncle Rico

Admittedly I haven't followed Suh closely so I can't really judge his recent play quality, but my gut feeling is your can get maybe 80-90% of his performance level from another player for half the price and without risking locker room chemistry.
Feels like they could get better value.
Obviously I'm generalizing to illustrate my point...
Ndamukong is an enigma. Last year PFF had him ranked as the 5th best interior DL with a rating of 91. But he's an asshole. A quick glance at top DT salaries and that alone scares me off considering JDC needs an extension. Suh would have to specifically say he'd like to play here on a team friendly deal in which case Gaines would be negligent not to listen. Add Suh on a ''prove it' deal to go along with Clowney, Watt, and Mercilus and you probably have a historic DL if everyone stays healthy. Fun to dream huh?

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Ndamukong is an enigma. Last year PFF had him ranked as the 5th best interior DL with a rating of 91. But he's an asshole. A quick glance at top DT salaries and that alone scares me off considering JDC needs an extension. Suh would have to specifically say he'd like to play here on a team friendly deal in which case Gaines would be negligent not to listen. Add Suh on a ''prove it' deal to go along with Clowney, Watt, and Mercilus and you probably have a historic DL if everyone stays healthy. Fun to dream huh?
It certainly is! I’d cut Jeff Allen/K Jax to create extra cap room if it meant we could get Suh without jeopardizing the team’s ability to extend Clowney/B Mac.

If you’re worried about Watt’s health then throw another superstar on the defense to take the pressure off Watt needing to be superman!

And most importantly... keep Suh from being in a position to harm Watson.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame

Sarah Barshop‏@sarahbarshop 19h19 hours ago

Tyrann Mathieu: “I do believe I will start at safety. And then from there, we will see. The coaches made it clear that [they] don’t want to put too much on my plate, so I’ll focus on safety."
This move is probably based on his knee injuries/surgeries (probably a significant reason why he was kept in the slot as a CB). Safety moves are more straight ahead and less acute explosive angles. CB is much more demanding and wearing on knees with repeated sudden stops and starts and turnarounds and acute cuts.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Tyrann Mathieu happy to get 'fresh start' with Texans

6:44 PM
HOUSTON -- Safety Tyrann Mathieu, who signed a one-year deal with the Texans last week, has a chip on his shoulder after being released by the Arizona Cardinals.

"I just want to prove my point that I'm one of the best safeties in this league," Mathieu said Monday. "Obviously I had some setbacks, I had some challenges and I tried to take those challenges head-on.THE REST OF THE STORY

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame

This move is probably based on his knee injuries/surgeries (probably a significant reason why he was kept in the slot as a CB). Safety moves are more straight ahead and less acute explosive angles. CB is much more demanding and wearing on knees with repeated sudden stops and starts and turnarounds and acute cuts.
Makes sense! I believe he played the majority of last season at safety as well. When he started all 16 games.

Hopefully he is our Bob Sanders minus the injuries.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Smith: Tyrann Mathieu's Houston connection dates back to Hurricane Katrina
By Brian T. Smith, Houston Chronicle

March 19, 2018 Updated: March 19, 2018 5:34pm
Tyrann Mathieu commanded the podium inside NRG Stadium.

Honest. Real. Very much himself, showing off the personality that has made the Honey Badger a fan favorite ever since his college days at LSU.

“I try to play as if I had a point to prove, and I try to play as if no one believes in me,” Mathieu said Monday during his introductory news conference.

He left money and years on the table to join the Texans. J.J. Watt helped recruit him to Houston. The thought of playing on the same side as Jadeveon Clowney was too much to pass up.

But there were also deeper roots pulling at Mathieu. A return to the South, and the food and lifestyle he loves. And a return to the Houston area, where Mathieu’s family relocated after Hurricane Katrina hit the New Orleans area in 2005.

“My family, we actually went to a shelter outside of Alexandria (La.), and then from there, we moved right outside of Houston, in Humble, Texas, and we enrolled in school there,” said Mathieu, who was born in New Orleans and starred at LSU in 2010-11. “We stayed there for about three months until the schools opened back up in Louisiana, then we went back home. Humble was definitely a residence of mine.”

zshawn10

All Pro
Next time y’all speak on my name understand this FACT
I’m one of 3 players since I entered the league 5years ago w/
300 or more tackles
25 or more TFLs
10 or more INTs

It seems you forgot I did all this while missing 16 games
That’s a extra season… now imagine those #s

— Tyrann Mathieu (@Mathieu_Era) March 21, 2018

I ain’t never been this fired up before !!!

Waits for everyone to research their players stats. It’s only me , Harrison smith & Luke !!

I declined the invite

vupac1

Waterboy

This is far too insightful and prudent to be the reasoning behind any decisions from the Texans medical staff.

Uncle Rico

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/22/tyrann-mathieu-praises-deshaun-watson-too/

“I’ve always been a fan of him, ever since he’s been at Clemson,” Mathieu said of Watson in an interview that aired Thursday on PFT Live. “We’ve always been in communication. Just feeding off each other’s energy. He’s a special talent. Like I said, just being in the division with Russell Wilson and seeing the kind of player that he truly was. I think Deshaun Watson can definitely be that kind of player. He definitely has that potential. I know he’s a hard worker, and I know he has that swagger. Those are some of the things that you just can’t coach. I think that’s what makes players special. I think he just has that ‘it’ factor. I think he showed it as a rookie. Obviously, coming off the injury I know he’s going to have that chip on his shoulder to prove his point again. I’m excited to see it. I’m excited to be his teammate.”

banned1976

sleeper mode
It's kind of interesting looking at Cushing's departure and Mathieu's arrival. The Texans lost Cushing's energy, leadership, excitement and ferociousness. Then they go out and sign The Honey Badger, who has all those characteristics in spades but also youth and increased athleticism. And now RAC can be incredibly inventive with coverages and blitz's. I could not possibly be happier about Mathieu being a Texan.

Reactions: Max

badboy

Hall of Fame
I'll take all of the dirty players in the world for a championship in Houston.

It's football, not a knitting circle.
It's a game played with a football. It is hard and violent but it doesn't take punks or thugs or cheaters to play or to win. Are you a dirty worker at your job? Not attacking you but trying to see why you have this mindset?

EVOLVIST

Kid A
It's a game played with a football. It is hard and violent but it doesn't take punks or thugs or cheaters to play or to win. Are you a dirty worker at your job? Not attacking you but trying to see why you have this mindset?
Because I was watching football when men's teeth fell out in the field. When guys fingers were sheered off and they bundled up their hands and went back out and played. Guys were getting their balls racked and their eyes guaged in a pile.

That wasn't that long ago.

I'm just saying. As a fan of a violent sport, I'm not going to pretend that I don't want to see a little blood letting, and not from a crochet needle, either.

As long as nobody is seriously injured, give me my pound of flesh.

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
I'll take all of the dirty players in the world for a championship in Houston.

It's football, not a knitting circle.
That's cool if that's your viewpoint, but I wouldn't find any joy along the way in rooting for a bunch of pieces of **** to win just because they're on the team I root for.

You can be a hard, physical player without being a dirty, insufferable, bitchmade player. We have had plenty of them.

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
Man so many judgemental perfect SAINTS in today's generation. Wow
Has nothing to do with being a "saint" in "today's generation."

I just hate guys like Cortland Finnegan, Rodney Harrison, Ndamukong Suh, Albert Haynesworth, Jared Allen, Richie Incognito, and the like and I would hate it if my team was littered with them, irrespective of their talent level otherwise. I'm not the one responsible for their reputation, they are. I'm happy our defense has tons of great players and not a one is what I would call dirty or a punk.

bah007

Hall of Fame
Just an observation based on contact with other people, nothing more.

It's ironic how much correlation there is between people who enjoy the violence of football and people who never played the game. And then there tends to be a very heavy opposite correlation for those that appreciate football as art and the skill and work ethic that's required for an individual to play at a high level.

I'll point out that everyone appreciates players that are tough. But being tough doesn't go hand in hand with being a thug. More than plenty of thugs out there that aren't nearly tough enough to play this game.

It makes no difference to me what makes each person a fan of the game. That's just something I've noticed over time through personal interactions over the years. Just interesting is all.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Anyone who's played any of the major team sports knows that taking cheap shots & doing all that dirty play stuff always comes back to you in spades. & that retalliation usually comes back to someone on your team who doesn't deserve it or wasn't involved in any of it in the 1st place. So it's in everyone's best interest to play the game clean.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Anyone who's played any of the major team sports knows that taking cheap shots & doing all that dirty play stuff always comes back to you in spades. & that retalliation usually comes back to someone on your team who doesn't deserve it or wasn't involved in any of it in the 1st place. So it's in everyone's best interest to play the game clean.
When Juju put Burfict down to avenge Antonio Brown last season nobody complained. Karma