Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Welcome to Houston Tyrann Mathieu

mussop

Hall of Fame
If only that were his only transgression. He hasn't matured at all.

Though I'd rather sign him and pay him to stay home than have him go to the Titans and Albert Haynesworth us.
Covington? A starter? Our top 4 defensive players coming off injuries? No TEs or OL left worth looking at. Suh is the last available FA that could come in and make a real difference.

The Jags turned their team around last year with the additions of defensive end Calais Campbell, cornerback A.J. Bouye, and safety Barry Church. Now they’ve added the best OL in free agency and added a real weapons in Lewis and Jenkins on offense.

Jacksonville Jaguars
WR Marqise Lee: Four years, $34 million
WR Donte Moncrief: One year, $7 million
TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins: Two years, $10 million
TE Niles Paul:Two years, $4.75 million
G Andrew Norwell:Five years, $66.5 million
LB Lerentee McCray: Two years, $5.5 million
CB D.J. Hayden:Three years, $19 million
S Cody Davis: Two years, $5 million
S Don Carey:Agrees to deal

Tennessee Titans
RB Dion Lewis: Four years, $20 million
G Josh Kline:Four years, $26 million
DE DaQuan Jones: Three years, $21 million
DE David King:One year
CB Malcolm Butler: Five years, $61.25 million

Tits have a visit lined up with Suh. Their DLinewould look like Suh, Jones, Kasey. That’s scary.

Front load his contract and let’s start smashingOffenses. It just makes too much sense.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I'm happy everybody on the Board is happy about this signing - who would have thought one little badger would get everybody so pumped ?
And in a way it's also more like the real coming out party for new GM Brian Gain.
He's taking a chance here on a guy with a checkered background but a big talent which includes serious injures (knees) and dope (back in college), but shrewdly hedged his bet with a limited term deal. Lets hear it for Brian, feeling better about the new GM now?

dream_team

Hall of Fame
MLB super agent Scott Boras labeled this type of deal as a "pillow contract". When a player can't find a long term deal he's satisfied with, he'll take a one year deal to re-establish himself on the market. Doesn't mean that player won't re-up with the same team the following year.
This is what I exactly thought when I first heard the deal. Would have liked long term, but could be good for Texans. He’s going to ball and play for that mega deal. I think he came to Houston knowing that he’ll get a lot of pressure from the front 7, lots of opportunities for picks, and he has a chance to be a part of one of the best defenses in the league.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
Has doc weighed in on his multiple ACL surgeries?

I think he will flourish in RAC's hyper DB aggressive packages .. Tyrann and Kareem are going to be laying some wood next year.

If the defense is healthy it should return to prominence.

Edit: nice job Gaines .. go get Suh on a 1 yr deal.

zshawn10

All Pro
Covington? A starter? Our top 4 defensive players coming off injuries? No TEs or OL left worth looking at. Suh is the last available FA that could come in and make a real difference.

The Jags turned their team around last year with the additions of defensive end Calais Campbell, cornerback A.J. Bouye, and safety Barry Church. Now they’ve added the best OL in free agency and added a real weapons in Lewis and Jenkins on offense.

Jacksonville Jaguars
WR Marqise Lee: Four years, $34 million
WR Donte Moncrief: One year, $7 million
TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins: Two years, $10 million
TE Niles Paul:Two years, $4.75 million
G Andrew Norwell:Five years, $66.5 million
LB Lerentee McCray: Two years, $5.5 million
CB D.J. Hayden:Three years, $19 million
S Cody Davis: Two years, $5 million
S Don Carey:Agrees to deal

Tennessee Titans
RB Dion Lewis: Four years, $20 million
G Josh Kline:Four years, $26 million
DE DaQuan Jones: Three years, $21 million
DE David King:One year
CB Malcolm Butler: Five years, $61.25 million

Tits have a visit lined up with Suh. Their DLinewould look like Suh, Jones, Kasey. That’s scary.

Front load his contract and let’s start smashingOffenses. It just makes too much sense.
Hayden was a weird signing and they still have bortles at qb.

Titans; hiring a defensive minded HC who underwhelmed with our defense and Mariota still in a scheme that doesn’t really fit his strengths

badboy

Hall of Fame
Going to bed at midnight last night and TBH a bit PO that we hadn't made another move. Up this morning on jetski and just finished lunch and decided prior to nap time to check my incoming..source said "Texans signing Mathieu"..whut? One year deal for $7 m? whut,whut? Dang!! This could be the best FA signing by Texans ever. We have $ to offer him longer deal and that could be rolled and added to next year so extension should not be an issue. Once he is on team, I expect the vets to make him part of family. I want the defense to be like Bum Phillips "everyone put a hat on the ball carrier." Let's not be so quick to forget about Andre Hal 25 YOA and last year 67 Tackles, 2 for loss, 1 QB hit, 5 passes defended 3 INTs, 2 forced fumbles playing 92 % snaps.

Man going to be hard to pass over Elliott and Igwebuike in draft as I see them as long time players at safety. We need to see a pro bowl type season from Kareem Jackson in this last contract year at $9 m cap.

I'm still hoping to add corner EJ Gaines...so I'm greedy. okay?

kcdoubleeagle

Waterboy
True story on how bad ass a badger is. A buddy of mine was in a tree on a deer stand and a badger comes mossing up. He sticks it with an arrow center mass and in to the ground. The badger pulls the arrow out of the ground and started coming up the tree for him. Had to shoot him two more times to put him down. Now that is the very definition of BAD ASS!!
So your friend just killed the badger for no reason?

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I would be intrigued with Suh - but that would mean a lot of money is tight up in our front 5. A one year proof it deal would be great of course - but long term? Might be tough in the future. Plus he is kind of a jerk and it seems like both of his nfl teams weren't really sad to see him go despite his production...
JJ and JDC would be able to get Suh to check his attitude.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Has doc weighed in on his multiple ACL surgeries?

I think he will flourish in RAC's hyper DB aggressive packages .. Tyrann and Kareem are going to be laying some wood next year.

If the defense is healthy it should return to prominence.

Edit: nice job Gaines .. go get Suh on a 1 yr deal.
Mathieu tore his left LCL and ACL in December 2013. He wasn't the same player in 2014 before returning to form in 2015. That was short lived as he tore his right ACL in Dec 2015 and did not look good in 2016. He doesn't want to be labelled a "slot CB," but that is what he has mostly played. And with the aforementioned knee injuries, I'm not sure how he will stand up to longer-distance outside coverage.

What may bother me more at this point in time is that in Oct 2016, he suffered a shoulder subluxation (partial dislocation) that sidelined him 5 weeks and affected him the rest of the season. That fact is that once a player suffered such an injury, he is very likely to suffer more subluxations and dislocations, until a surgical tightening of the stretched ligaments is performed. Meanwhile, the more shoulder joint displacements he suffers, the more likely he damages his labrum.

All the above may have gone into signing him for a curious 1 year contract

Bulls on Parade

2017 Astros: Earn It!
Watt, Mercilus, Clowney, Honey Badger!
All I want is one healthy season in 2018.
If we get that from all four we'll dominate defensively.

And of course, Deshaun Watson is the key.
If he stays healthy we'll be a Super Bowl contender.

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club
Mathieu tore his left LCL and ACL in December 2013. He wasn't the same player in 2014 before returning to form in 2015. That was short lived as he tore his right ACL in Dec 2015 and did not look good in 2016. He doesn't want to be labelled a "slot CB," but that is what he has mostly played. And with the aforementioned knee injuries, I'm not sure how he will stand up to longer-distance outside coverage.

What may bother me more at this point in time is that in Oct 2016, he suffered a shoulder subluxation (partial dislocation) that sidelined him 5 weeks and affected him the rest of the season. That fact is that once a player suffered such an injury, he is very likely to suffer more subluxations and dislocations, until a surgical tightening of the stretched ligaments is performed. Meanwhile, the more shoulder joint displacements he suffers, the more likely he damages his labrum.

All the above may have gone into signing him for a curious 1 year contract
We have too many players coming back this year from serious injuries trying to prove themselves.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Based on what?

Do they have a proven record of reeling players in?

What makes you think Suh doesn’t think he’s better than them?
Based on JJ Watt being JJ Watt and JD Clowney being JD Clowney. It's hard to be a selfish a$$hole when surrounded by players of that caliber. The Texans are known for having a great locker room.

Texas Jake

Rookie
Based on JJ Watt being JJ Watt and JD Clowney being JD Clowney. It's hard to be a selfish a$$hole when surrounded by players of that caliber. The Texans are known for having a great locker room.
One reason they have a great locker room is they have been very selective concerning the players they bring into that locker room.

Texas Jake

Rookie
With this selective approach where has it gotten them
4-12
You can attribute much of the poor record to injuries to key players, compounded by Rick Smith not adequately addressing the issues on the OL and defensive backfield. So far I am impressed with Gaine. He seems to be addressing team needs much better that Smith. I am eager to see how he closes out free agency and does in the draft. It will take a couple of seasons before we really know how good or bad a GM Gaine actually is, but so far it appears he is headed in the right direction. Like most, I like the splash signings, but considering the number of holes in this roster, Gaine's value conscious approach is probably the wiser path - time will tell.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You can attribute much of the poor record to injuries to key players, compounded by Rick Smith not adequately addressing the issues on the OL and defensive backfield. So far I am impressed with Gaine. He seems to be addressing team needs much better that Smith. I am eager to see how he closes out free agency and does in the draft. It will take a couple of seasons before we really know how good or bad a GM Gaine actually is, but so far it appears he is headed in the right direction. Like most, I like the splash signings, but considering the number of holes in this roster, Gaine's value conscious approach is probably the wiser path - time will tell.
I'm with you and if you remember I was a big Gaine fan back when he worked for Ricky. I wanted Cesario more than Gaine but I liked him. He's done a fine job so far. Even though I would have done things differently.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
With this selective approach where has it gotten them
4-12
I would say that 4-12 was due to the injury bug much more so than not having players with character issues on the same team. Correlation isn't the same as causation.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I would say that 4-12 was due to the injury bug much more so than not having players with character issues on the same team. Correlation isn't the same as causation.
I agree, if Watson hadn't gotten hurt things would have been far different. It isn't surprising that Watson got hurt playing behind that OL.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I agree, if Watson hadn't gotten hurt things would have been far different. It isn't surprising that Watson got hurt playing behind that OL.
Not to mention Watt, Mercilus, Fuller V, every TE, etc. It was a lot more than just DW4 that got injured.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Not to mention Watt, Mercilus, Fuller V, every TE, etc. It was a lot more than just DW4 that got injured.
Watt is never going to be healthy.

Savage got those guys hurt, much less likely that that many guys get hurt with Watson at QB. Excluding Mercilus.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Does the swami hat chafe?

\

Do you really think Watt is going to stay healthy? Particularly is he's used as more than a situational pass rusher? Especially if you use him the way you wanted to upthread, I can guarantee you he wont make it thru the season. I'm Watt's biggest fan but back injuries suck and they need to be very careful how they use Watt. Even if that means using Watt differently than Watt wants to be used.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Do you really think Watt is going to stay healthy? .
What I really think is pain thresholds are very individual. Neither you nor Doc can judge that for him. He'll walk away at some point, Bob Lilly salute. Until then, calling him out is a fool's errand.

And just because this is who JJ reminds me of:

Reactions: JB

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
What I really think is pain thresholds are very individual. Neither you nor Doc can judge that for him. He'll walk away at some point, Bob Lilly salute. Until then, calling him out is a fool's errand.

And just because this is who JJ reminds me of:

i love JJ, but back injuries are a different animal. I have back issues that are nowhere near as bad as JJ's and have learned to manage them. I cant imagine playing NFL football with a back injury.

2 yrs of proof make me think this is more wishful thinking on your part and there's nothing wrong with being a fan. Just be prepared for what's coming.

If used properly he may last the whole season. I hope you're right, I'm rooting for JJ.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Knowing Watt's situation, health wise, I couldn't imagine him not seeing the positive should Gaine decide to add Suh to the DL. Suh and Clowney on one side certainly might take away the double and triple teams that Watt has dealt with since he arrived on the scene. Adding a player like Suh to this front seven could buy Watt a few more healthy seasons.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
The Honey Beaver?

Spent time with one of those in College

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
I'm thinking The Beaver Badger has a certain je me sais qua about it. Hopefully he doesn't go full Rodgers Cromartie though. Wrap it up Tyrann!

badboy

Hall of Fame
Knowing Watt's situation, health wise, I couldn't imagine him not seeing the positive should Gaine decide to add Suh to the DL. Suh and Clowney on one side certainly might take away the double and triple teams that Watt has dealt with since he arrived on the scene. Adding a player like Suh to this front seven could buy Watt a few more healthy seasons.
did any Texans player tweet for Suh to come here? If Clowney and Watt saw Suh as advantage seems both would be trying to get him on roster.

Shishkabob

All Pro
Just enjoy what you're seeing Progress is being made, but it's going to take a couple of years.
the thing is you want to bring in Suh, but he was a divisive figure in the locker room at Nebraska, he was the samenin Detroit, and he was such a locker room ca never in Miami that they are willing to pay him 22 mil to have him not play for them.

You can sign a player like that when you have the right locker room culture, and are winning regularly. that's why the patriots do well with guys like that, because when the team is winning you can't be a locker room cancer because the rest of the team will shun you. If you are having a down season though that's when players like suh can take over and tear a team apart, it's been proven at numerous stops of his. While I think we are improving it is still a high possibility that we have a mediocre or below average season which could give suh his in to divide the locker room. he has visited the titans and the saints now and left both without a contract

Reactions: JB

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
the thing is you want to bring in Suh, but he was a divisive figure in the locker room at Nebraska, he was the samenin Detroit, and he was such a locker room ca never in Miami that they are willing to pay him 22 mil to have him not play for them.

You can sign a player like that when you have the right locker room culture, and are winning regularly. that's why the patriots do well with guys like that, because when the team is winning you can't be a locker room cancer because the rest of the team will shun you. If you are having a down season though that's when players like suh can take over and tear a team apart, it's been proven at numerous stops of his. While I think we are improving it is still a high possibility that we have a mediocre or below average season which could give suh his in to divide the locker room. he has visited the titans and the saints now and left both without a contract
All of this locker room togetherness has won nothing. Let's try a different way.