Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Welcome to Houston Marcus Cannon

Dejaview

All Pro
Like the pick up. I’m fairly convinced now that Folks poo pooing the pick up were/are gonna poo on any thing the Texans do...
it’s our instant gratification culture. This is our Phoenix year yet it’s all supposed to happen overnight. I agree with SteelB that even if it’s a one year deal we need to protect possibly a new young QB. And yep, if we don’t protect him they will complain about that non stop.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Agreed. Jack & Nick taking care of bidness & Kyle playing video games.
Nick taking care of business

People who dont like these moves are really just anti anything Foxboro. Caserio has done well so far when it comes to cleaning up the mess that was left for him. He cant finish the cleanup until next offseason. Unfortunately for caserio he will be solely judged by what he gets back in the DW4 trade instead of what he's doing now.

Last edited:

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Nick taking care of business

People who dont like these moves are reall just anti anything Foxboro. Caserio has done well so far when it comes to cleaning up the mess that was left for him. He cant finish the cleanup until next offseason. Unfortunately for caserio he will be solely judged by what he gets back in the DW4 trade instead of what he's doing now.
The Pats always did well in FA and trades. Their blunders have been in the drafts. That's my bigger concern, is how well he drafts.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
One reason I am not happy about trading draft positions with New England for an over the hill OL is because you might be missing out on players like Jay Tufele, Bobby Brown III and Marlon Tuipulotu
The worst part is that Cannon was going to be cut. Belichick had already picked up Trent Brown. No way he was keeping a $7 million backup. And no one was paying Cannon $7 million on the open market. No one but the Texans, anyway.

Texian

Hall of Fame
The worst part is that Cannon was going to be cut. Belichick had already picked up Trent Brown. No way he was keeping a $7 million backup. And no one was paying Cannon $7 million on the open market. No one but the Texans, anyway.
Mic Drop

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
For one yr in a rebuilding situation where they will be trying to keep a young QB well protected. If Cannon is in as great of shape as has been reported then this will be a good trade. My god, you would think Caserio is spending your money. It really doesn't matter what Caserio does this yr as long as his young QB doesn't get Carr'ed then it will have been a successful yr. I hope in FA/Draft Caserio can find 4 guys that can be starters 3 yrs from now. That's how I'm judging this yr.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Early to mid 4th.
They've got two mid rd 4ths.

I would be very happy with a 4th rd that looks something lie this.

Robert Rochelle/Bobby Brown III. Give me Tay Gowan in the 3rd and this will have been a very successful draft. Graham from UT will go in the 5th or 6th and end up being a steal in a couple of yrs like Poona. IMHO

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
For one yr in a rebuilding situation where they will be trying to keep a young QB well protected. If Cannon is in as great of shape as has been reported then this will be a good trade. My god, you would think Caserio is spending your money. It really doesn't matter what Caserio does this yr as long as his young QB doesn't get Carr'ed then it will have been a successful yr. I hope in FA/Draft Caserio can find 4 guys that can be starters 3 yrs from now. That's how I'm judging this yr.
I thought the Texans didn't have any cap room? I thought 27 yrs and nobody can massage the cap 🤔

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Trent Brown played LT in New England. Why are you confident they were going to cut their RT just because they traded for their LT?

Texian

Hall of Fame
One reason being given why Belichick is on a free agency spending spree is because the Patriots have drafted so poorly the past five years. It also appears as though Belichick is only one who has gone berserk in free agency.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
One reason being given why Belichick is on a free agency spending spree is because the Patriots have drafted so poorly the past five years. It also appears as though Belichick is only one who has gone berserk in free agency.
It's because he has the $$$$ to spend to upgrade his team. I really likethe Johnu Smith signing. Bonus is it hurts the Titans.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
It sounds like a number game with the younger Isiah Wynn on the roster.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Being the "odd man out" doesn't equal getting cut.
The Pats did exactly like you'd want Caserio to do in the same situation. Get anything you can.
At the price he was traded for, I feel like there would have been at least one other team that would've traded for him besides the Texans.
I agree.
This is the equivalence of a 5th rd pick.
I think some team would trade for him.
Somewhat of a fair deal here.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
At the price he was traded for, I feel like there would have been at least one other team that would've traded for him besides the Texans.
I will disagree. One, he's a very old RT who is coming off a year's absence. Very, very few teams that would give him a starter's job + a starter's salary. Two, most teams would wait for him to be cut, then offer one of these lowball deals Caserio has been handing out for 2nd and 3rd stringers.

Three, I quoted an article that had sources close to Cannon that thought he would be cut.

Jack and Nick to the rescue! There were no other saviors.

michaelm

vox nihili
I will disagree. One, he's a very old RT who is coming off a year's absence. Very, very few teams that would give him a starter's job + a starter's salary. Two, most teams would wait for him to be cut, then offer one of these lowball deals Caserio has been handing out for 2nd and 3rd stringers.

Three, I quoted an article that had sources close to Cannon that thought he would be cut.

Jack and Nick to the rescue! There were no other saviors.
One source. "Believed the writing was on the wall" also doesn’t mean (in your words) "was about to get cut"

Also, from your same article

"Maybe they find a trade partner for Cannon, which would be even better. With the growing need for offensive linemen across the NFL, it wouldn’t be out of the question. And Cannon’s cap hit isn’t prohibitive whatsoever. Perhaps Belichick turns him into a fourth- or fifth-round pick and frees up even more cap space ahead of free agency"

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
One source. "Believed the writing was on the wall" also doesn’t mean (in your words) "was about to get cut"
Come on, this is ridiculous. Cannon is a FOJ (Friend of Jack). Destined to be a Texan.

My hope is that Tyrod gets the ball out in a timely fashion. He's a good guy who's had some bad breaks the past few years.

michaelm

vox nihili
Come on, this is ridiculous. Cannon is a FOJ (Friend of Jack). Destined to be a Texan.

My hope is that Tyrod gets the ball out in a timely fashion. He's a good guy who's had some bad breaks the past few years.
I know that Easterby and Caserio haunt your dreams nightly, but I'm responding specifically to your statement that "Cannon was about to get cut "

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
I know that Easterby and Caserio haunt your dreams nightly, but I'm responding specifically to your statement that "Cannon was about to get cut "
He was about to be cut. And when he was cut, he was coming here. Like O’Brien, it doesn’t look like Caserio values draft picks that much.

michaelm

vox nihili
He was about to be cut. And when he was cut, he was coming here. Like O’Brien, it doesn’t look like Caserio values draft picks that much.
Every word of that is your speculation and opinion. And that's fine.
It's just not fact that you're able to back with evidence.
There's no need to argue, just add "in my opinion" to your statements. Easy peasy

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Every word of that is your speculation and opinion. And that's fine.
It's just not fact that you're able to back with evidence.
There's no need to argue, just add "in my opinion" to your statements. Easy peasy
How about “conventional wisdom”? Because everyone but Caserio cheerleaders would agree.

Heck, I’m not even blaming Nick for this, really. Bringing in Cannon and Rivers is definitely an Easterby production.

michaelm

vox nihili
How about “conventional wisdom”? Because everyone but Caserio cheerleaders would agree.

Heck, I’m not even blaming Nick for this, really. Bringing in Cannon and Rivers is definitely an Easterby production.
"Because Cannon was about to get cut "
"How about conventional wisdom"?

Look man, you made a statement of opinion as if it were fact. Can you not just say, yes I should have said "in my opinion" and move on?
No, you have to argue and move the target in stead of admitting that you were wrong.

You say nobody would have traded for Cannon, and it's possible that is true. But you cannot state it as fact.
Either you believe people should posts facts that can be proved or you don't. Either you believe people should state when a claim is an opinion or you don't. Simple stuff.

There's absolutely no way we will ever know if, for example, Minnesota at pick 242 might have accepted a swap down to 243 for Cannon. We will never know for "fact" that nobody would have traded for him.

So, if you have an opinion, fine, just say that it's an opinion and stop acting as if anything you've said is verifiable fact. Because it's not.

Also, I'm pretty sure there's no dead money if Cannon is cut. I don't see a problem with the trade when no picks were lost.

Last edited:

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Also, I'm pretty sure there's no dead money if Cannon is cut. I don't see a problem with the trade when no picks were lost.
I don't know if you give a crap about this or not. But, someone might. The Texans lost the equivalent of a late 5th round pick in draft points (31). About pick #150 if Caserio is the moving around the board type. Last year's 15th pich was the Giants OG Shane Lemieux. Started about 9 games. A guy who may or may not develop into a full time starter.

But, Lemieux may or may not develop while counting $700k against the cap. He'll make less than $4 million over the 4 years on his contract. Cannon will make $7 million for one season. A season that will see the Texans go nowhere. In my not so humble opinion. Bill O'Brien would make this move in a heartbeat. Tossing away draft capital for one year guys meant nothing to him.

How is Nick Caserio different? So far, we haven't seen a difference. The one caveat is that (maybe) Easterby put the screws on Nick. Maybe, Nick wouldn't make this deal if left to his own devices? Maybe he doesn't squander draft value and cap $$$ on has been vets, if the aren't Easterby's buds. Maybe?

But right now, this looks lile the kind of short-sighted move O'Brien would make. IMNSHO.

Max

Veteran
I don't know if you give a crap about this or not. But, someone might. The Texans lost the equivalent of a late 5th round pick in draft points (31). About pick #150 if Caserio is the moving around the board type. Last year's 15th pich was the Giants OG Shane Lemieux. Started about 9 games. A guy who may or may not develop into a full time starter.

But, Lemieux may or may not develop while counting $700k against the cap. He'll make less than $4 million over the 4 years on his contract. Cannon will make $7 million for one season. A season that will see the Texans go nowhere. In my not so humble opinion. Bill O'Brien would make this move in a heartbeat. Tossing away draft capital for one year guys meant nothing to him.

How is Nick Caserio different? So far, we haven't seen a difference. The one caveat is that (maybe) Easterby put the screws on Nick. Maybe, Nick wouldn't make this deal if left to his own devices? Maybe he doesn't squander draft value and cap $$$ on has been vets, if the aren't Easterby's buds. Maybe?

But right now, this looks lile the kind of short-sighted move O'Brien would make. IMNSHO.
I think that it's another indicator that we're doing things the Patriot way. They built a lot of teams with older players who were 'smart' and bought into their culture. These guys really believe that this can be done here overlooking the fact that they had the goat qb and goat coach who has a proven track record of consistently getting production out of players that no one else can. I still want to see if Culley can get anything out of these guys before making a judgment, but I'm not holding my breath.