Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

Welcome to Houston Marcus Cannon

Speedy

Yeller Dweller
I don't know if you give a crap about this or not. But, someone might. The Texans lost the equivalent of a late 5th round pick in draft points (31). About pick #150 if Caserio is the moving around the board type. Last year's 15th pich was the Giants OG Shane Lemieux. Started about 9 games. A guy who may or may not develop into a full time starter.

But, Lemieux may or may not develop while counting $700k against the cap. He'll make less than $4 million over the 4 years on his contract. Cannon will make $7 million for one season. A season that will see the Texans go nowhere. In my not so humble opinion. Bill O'Brien would make this move in a heartbeat. Tossing away draft capital for one year guys meant nothing to him.

How is Nick Caserio different? So far, we haven't seen a difference. The one caveat is that (maybe) Easterby put the screws on Nick. Maybe, Nick wouldn't make this deal if left to his own devices? Maybe he doesn't squander draft value and cap $$$ on has been vets, if the aren't Easterby's buds. Maybe?

But right now, this looks lile the kind of short-sighted move O'Brien would make. IMNSHO.
OB did always say that he was hand in hand with the Pastor on all of those deals. If things are still looking the same, what's the common denominator?

pirbroke

Veteran
Bla Bla all this about to be cut crap. If he was cut it’s his choice where he goes. If you really want that player you trade for him. Texans did not give up a lot for this right. And they assured themselves that he will be a Texan. Great job IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

michaelm

vox nihili
I don't know if you give a crap about this or not. But, someone might. The Texans lost the equivalent of a late 5th round pick in draft points (31). About pick #150 if Caserio is the moving around the board type. Last year's 15th pich was the Giants OG Shane Lemieux. Started about 9 games. A guy who may or may not develop into a full time starter.

But, Lemieux may or may not develop while counting $700k against the cap. He'll make less than $4 million over the 4 years on his contract. Cannon will make $7 million for one season. A season that will see the Texans go nowhere. In my not so humble opinion. Bill O'Brien would make this move in a heartbeat. Tossing away draft capital for one year guys meant nothing to him.

How is Nick Caserio different? So far, we haven't seen a difference. The one caveat is that (maybe) Easterby put the screws on Nick. Maybe, Nick wouldn't make this deal if left to his own devices? Maybe he doesn't squander draft value and cap $$$ on has been vets, if the aren't Easterby's buds. Maybe?

But right now, this looks lile the kind of short-sighted move O'Brien would make. IMNSHO.
Caserio didn't give up that draft pick, he dropped down the equivalent of 31 points.

What are the odds that a #150 pick will be more successful than a #181 pick? I don't know the answer, but that's the comparison to make (I'm using pick 181 to illustrate the point, the actual value is probably different).

And good on the Giants, but I'm not sure their outcome is representative of what to expect at that draft position.

But none of that was my original point at all. You moved the target yet again

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

All of this over a pick swap. I bet if I looked hard enough that I could find a successful player drafted at the spot the Texans are now going to be drafting in the 5th rd. I'm hoping they use the 4th/5th rd picks to move back into the 3rd and find a guy that can start for them. A CB and a S or and edge would be a great start.

Lucky

Not like this. Not like this.
Staff member
The picks reported to be traded to New England in the Cannon deal were incorrect. These are the actual picks involved.

Instead of the two teams swapping picks in the fourth, fifth and sixth rounds of this year’s draft, the following selections have exchanged hands alongside the veteran lineman:

• New England gets 4-122 and 6-187
  • Houston gets 5-158 and 6-194, plus Marcus Cannon
This trade just went from dumb to dumber.

From the same article:

Getting the second selection in the fifth round for a player who was expected to get cut anyway is certainly a positive for New England, especially when using the Trent Brown trade as comparison: acquiring Brown, who is younger than Cannon and a candidate to take over his job as the Patriots’ right tackle, cost the team a fifth-round pick next year. Oh, and it got a seventh-rounder back in return.

While the eventual impact of the players, draft picks and monetary savings involved cannot be properly assessed until further down the line, both of those trades turned out very favorably from New England’s point of view.
Very favorably from New England's point of view? No kidding.

Last edited: