Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Welcome to Houston Marcus Cannon

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
If Cannon can play RT like he did a couple of yrs ago that will allow Howard to play Rg. With Britt/Howard/Cannon on the right side the run game will be much improved. Question is how good will Cannon be after sitting out last yr?

I dont really like giving up the high 4th rd pick. You can find a starter there. But I guess you could use the 4th plus a 5th to move back up if there's a guy you like in the late 3rd/early 4th.

If Cannon can play RT like he did a couple of yrs ago that will allow Howard to play Rg. With Britt/Howard/Cannon on the right side the run game will be much improved. Question is how good will Cannon be after sitting out last yr?

I dont really like giving up the high 4th rd pick. You can find a starter there. But I guess you could use the 4th plus a 5th to move back up if there's a guy you like in the late 3rd/early 4th.
Yeah I don’t feel like it was worth it to swap picks in 3 different rounds. I’m disappointed in this move. I was hoping we’d use the early 4th on a quality player.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Yeah I don’t feel like it was worth it to swap picks in 3 different rounds. I’m disappointed in this move. I was hoping we’d use the early 4th on a quality player.
Hopefully they can find a starter in the middle of the 4th. They have 2 shots to find a starter in the middle of the 4th.

What I find interesting is after the trade for Lawson they now have four 6ths. That should give Caserio the ability to move up in the 4th/5th rds.

Last edited:

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
Said it in the Ingram thread. Two back sets. One a pass catcher, one a bruiser. If Watson stays, using his legs ala Lamar Jackson. Run game will open the downfield passing game. I mentioned there to watch for tweaks in the O-Line to support the run...I think this tweak counts as such.

Texian

Hall of Fame
I haven't seen any Mercilus/Cunningham/Cobb deals from Caserio yet. Or Hopkins trades.
My initial read was wrong, I thought Texans gave up a 4,5, and 6 instead of the swapping of picks. Still doesn't make a lot of sense in a rebuilding year to trade for a 33 yr old with a history of injuries and cancer with only 2 yrs left on a contract. DW4 who has had enough of New England get another mouthful. He's gone. DW4 will be traded to MIA or NYJ.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
My initial read was wrong, I thought Texans gave up a 4,5, and 6 instead of the swapping of picks. Still doesn't make a lot of sense in a rebuilding year to trade for a 33 yr old with a history of injuries and cancer with only 2 yrs left on a contract. DW4 who has had enough of New England get another mouthful. He's gone. DW4 will be traded to MIA or NYJ.
What a strange trade. All Caserio gave up was pick swaps.

Wait a minute. Just seen his age. The more I look the more I dont like
He's a stop gap during the rebuild, he should (if healthy) upgrade the run game and should be a net equal in pass pro. So this should help the new QB quite a bit. Even if they're rebuilding I want to see the young QB helped by being well protected and an upgraded running game, so he can develop properly. (Something that a young Houston QB has never been able to do)

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Question is how good will Cannon be after sitting out last yr?
Was he out for injury, or did he opt out because of covid?

Aaron Wilson says we gave up a 4th, 5th, & 6th... that sounds like a mid third to me.

I’m telling you, Caserio is on crack.

im wrong. Pick swaps. I thought the Texans gave up three picks.

Last edited:

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame

Aaron Wilson says we gave up a 4th, 5th, & 6th... that sounds like a mid third to me.

He opted out strickly because COVID concerns. I believe this was a positive for his return........plenty of time for rehab................for his knee and the rest of his body.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Stop gaps that help set a new culture in the locker room.
What kind of culture can be built while the team struggles to win a game. It's a crock. I agree with kicking Howard inside. He's a Guard. But don't spend draft capital on a guy Belichick was likely going to be cut. The opposite of the kind of deal I expected Caserio to make.

None of these deals Caserio has made makes sense, if you think the Texans will not have Watson at QB in 2021. This team needs to get younger, not older.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member

FWIW, the picks have not been announced the Texans and pats both have two 4th round pick
The Texans were picking at No. 109 in Round 4, No. 147 in Round 5, and No. 187 in Round 6.
Now, the Texans will be picking at No. 120 in Round 4, No. 158 in Round 5, and No. 196 in Round 6.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
But don't spend draft capital on a guy Belichick was likely going to be cut.
Even though it's a swap? Caserio didn't give up the picks, just position. To me, 12 spots on a day three pick is nothing & we get a player who can start.

None of these deals Caserio has made makes sense, if you think the Texans will not have Watson at QB in 2021.
Right
If you think the Texans will not have Watson.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
What kind of culture can be built while the team struggles to win a game. It's a crock. I agree with kicking Howard inside. He's a Guard. But don't spend draft capital on a guy Belichick was likely going to be cut. The opposite of the kind of deal I expected Caserio to make.

None of these deals Caserio has made makes sense, if you think the Texans will not have Watson at QB in 2021. This team needs to get younger, not older.
boy, the tunnel vision you have right now is evolving into a serious clinical disorder.

Literally all but 1 of these deals “make sense” for the Texans right now regardless of whether DW4 is here or not b/c:

None tremendously hurt us and don’t impact the Team’s salary cap or draft capital beyond 2021.

The players brought in address serious needs and in at least a few, the players brought in are upgrades and better scheme fits over what we had on the roster.

None of the contracts and salary restructures are overpays”

We are also dumping/getting rid of troublesome contracts in the process..3 total so far.

I really question if some of you guys are actually fans of this team or are just undercover titan/jag/other teams’ fans. There’s just no way you can be critical of any of the moves that NC has made this far...except the Hargreaves 1.

Last edited:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
None tremendously hurt us and don’t impact the Team’s salary
Are you forgetting what we don't spend in 2021 we roll over to 2022?

With that in mind it doesn't make sense to take on Marcus Cannon's contract. There's no guaranteed money, but if we cut him the deal makes no sense. (Maybe we can package him in a trade).

David Johnson doesn't make sense. Just cut him pick up $12M. Could have paid Canon & Ingram with that.

Ingram doesn't make sense after restructuring DJ a week earlier.

Hargreaves? I like Hargreaves, I'd have done that anyway but I'm sure that's the one that "doesn't make sense."

Unless you're trying to win games.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Are you forgetting what we don't spend in 2021 we roll over to 2022?

With that in mind it doesn't make sense to take on Marcus Cannon's contract. There's no guaranteed money, but if we cut him the deal makes no sense. (Maybe we can package him in a trade).

David Johnson doesn't make sense. Just cut him pick up $12M. Could have paid Canon & Ingram with that.

Ingram doesn't make sense after restructuring DJ a week earlier.

Hargreaves? I like Hargreaves, I'd have done that anyway but I'm sure that's the one that "doesn't make sense."

Unless you're trying to win games.

I believe he is trying to win games & he’s trying to win as many as he can NOW.. He not only owes it to the fans to try, but also the coaches he brought in and the players who will be in that locker room in 2021...whomever that might be.

This of course is much to the chagrin of fans who are working under the faulty premise that the only way to go about a rebuild/retool is to completely tank and horde draft capital and salary cap space.

At the end of the day while that way might be preferable, it’s has shown over the years that that’s not the only way....At the very least, a hybrid approach has shown to be as effective. For every 90’s cowboys dynasty that tore it completely down and were successful, there’s been dozens of others who tried it that way & got caught in no-mans land
the instant 1 or more of those coveted draft picks or high priced FA they brought in with all that cap space saved doesn’t pan out.

NC so far imo has improved the team’s prospects overall for 2021 , while not at all compromising what they’ll be able to do in the very near future in any major way. I think he’s also placed a premium on the veteran presence, b/c contrary to what some believe, a locker room full of young rookies, ain’t gonna be successful, no matter how much talent is in there...without that veteran presence, that actually probably the quickest way for things to fall apart.

Last edited:

Earl34

Hall of Fame
I believe he is trying to win games & he’s trying to win as many as he can NOW.. He not only owes it to the fans to try, but also the coaches he brought in and the players who will be in that locker room in 2021...whomever that might be.

This of course is much to the chagrin of fans who are working under the faulty premise that the only way to go about a rebuild/retool is to completely tank and horde draft capital and salary cap space.

At the end of the day while that way might be preferable, it’s has shown over the years that that’s not the only way....At the very least, a hybrid approach has shown to be as effective. For every 90’s cowboys dynasty that tore it completely down and were successful, there’s been dozens of others who tried it that way & got caught in no-mans land
the instant 1 or more of those coveted draft picks or high priced FA they.
doesn’t pan out.

NC so far imo has overall improved the team for 2021, while not compromising its future beyond that in any major way. I think he’s also placed a premium on the veteran presence.
To your point. If they didn't have this self inflicted drama with Watson, with the lower salary cap and the number of veterans that will be available for 1-2 year contracts via free agency or trade, this would have been a great opportunity to bolster the roster with veterans and have this hybrid approach. Think of it as how the 1990s Cowboys used Plan B free agency to bolster their roster.

Maybe they can be competitive with a bridge QB or another young QB on the roster surrounded by this veteran laden cast. Time will tell.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
To your point. If they didn't have this self inflicted drama with Watson, with the lower salary cap and the number of veterans that will be available for 1-2 year contracts via free agency or trade, this would have been a great opportunity to bolster the roster with veterans and have this hybrid approach. Think of it as how the 1990s Cowboys used Plan B free agency to bolster their roster.

Maybe they can be competitive with a bridge QB or another young QB on the roster surrounded by this veteran laden cast. Time will tell.
If they wind up with a bridge qb.....& right now everything points to that being the case, As long as that guy isn’t a TO machine and they don’t get ravaged by injuries, I’ve got no doubt that they’ll be more competitive and ultimately successful than they were last year. What does that means in the win column is anybody’s guess...I’m thinking 6-7 wins...which as I said, is still better than what they were last year.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Opt out and I dont blame him, he's a cancer survivor.

How did you do the line through? Pretty Cool.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

I like the deal

Caserio really didn't give up much to get an upgrade on the OL.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
TBH, the bar was set so low, it's not at all difficult to have a better roster than last year.

The roster should look even better than the 2006 team of Gary Kubiak, even if Watson sits.

If you compare position by position, it's at least on par already, with more FAs and the draft to come.

If they're able to get a fair amount of capital by trading Watson; there's no reason why they can't win more than 6 games.