Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Welcome to Houston Kamari Lassiter

All coverage snaps and incomplete targets:

Lassiter looks good when the play is in front of him. I wouldn't say great, because he doesn't have the burst to get in front of the receiver and get to the football. When Lassiter turns and runs with the receiver, there's a lot of hands and contact that will draw flags in the NFL.
Lassiter had the top 3 cone time and 3rd short shuttle among all CBs at the combine. Imo those two drills are a better indicator of success at the nickel position, maybe just CB in general.

The pass rush we should be getting will make everything look even better :)
That's why Lassiter will have success in the slot, he's very difficult to shake on underneath routes. But...he's in the NFL, now. And OCs are going to hunt Lassiter with bunch formations and force him to turn and run. If Kamari can't handle that, he will be exposed. This was a post I made regarding Lassiter prior to the draft, and I stand by it.
I hate being the wet blanket guy. But, Lassiter is not a 2nd round talent. 4.64 speed (at his pro day). One career INT. There has only been 6 CBs since 2002 that ran 4.6+ in the 40 and went in the 2nd round. The last time was in 2019, when a team with a personnel director you know took Joejuan Williams (4.64 speed) with pick 2.45. Williams has started one game with zero career picks.

In fact, there has only been one success story for 4.6 CBs drafted in the 2nd round. Sort of. Jairus Byrd was taken by the Bills with pick 2.42 in the 2009 draft after running 4.68 in the 40 at the combine. Byrd went on to lead the league in INTs as a rookie and finished 2nd to Brian Cushing for DPOY. The catch is, the Bills converted Byrd to FS immediately after drafting him.

How about moving Lassiter to FS. He's a competitive guy. But he has shown no ball skills. I'm not saying Lassiter can't play in the NFL. Maybe in the right system in the right role. But he's not the kind of CB usually taken in the 2nd round.
I get why Ryans loved Lassiter. All gas, no brakes 100%. Can he utilize Lassiter to bring out the best in him, and conceal his weaknesses? This is what I once said about how Bill Belichick has coached over the years.

You know what I've always admired about Belichick? His ability to find out what a player can do and concentrate on that.
Despite all of the negativity I've spewed in this post, I do believe Coach Ryans can do this.

Last edited:
Yeah I remember there was a lot of hoopla about Kareem’s slow 40 time at the combine too. He had a rough start to his career but overall it worked out. Contrary to what everyone says, you CAN teach and improve your long speed.
Also drafted as CB but best fit proved to be safety.

Lassiter looks good when the play is in front of him. I wouldn't say great, because he doesn't have the burst to get in front of the receiver and get to the football. When Lassiter turns and runs with the receiver, there's a lot of hands and contact that will draw flags in the NFL.

That's why Lassiter will have success in the slot, he's very difficult to shake on underneath routes. But...he's in the NFL, now. And OCs are going to hunt Lassiter with bunch formations and force him to turn and run. If Kamari can't handle that, he will be exposed. This was a post I made regarding Lassiter prior to the draft, and I stand by it.

I get why Ryans loved Lassiter. All gas, no brakes 100%. Can he utilize Lassiter to bring out the best in him, and conceal his weaknesses? This is what I once said about how Bill Belichick has coached over the years.

Despite all of the negativity I've spewed in this post, I do believe Coach Ryans can do this.
It was posted that the pro day 40 was incorrect with several in attendance saying 4.50 to 4.51

Fair points. I agree with the comp on coaches. Just like we wont be seeing Will Anderson drop into coverage on 3rd and long, we wont be seeing Kamari on an island with Tyreek Hill.

This is such a Nick Caserio pick

Doesn't care about 40 times whatsoever, cares about the tape and that's pretty much Lassiter to a tee. Amazing tape, bad 40 time.

Caserio definitely cares about athleticism. They pay very close attention to the gps and player movement tracking. It's just not the be-all and end-all.

If Kool Aid was his guy then Caserio does what he needs to do to get him. That has been Nick's MO the whole time he's been here.
Caserio thought koolaid would be there considering he was 1 pick away from taking him. Past is past, have to move forward now

Or he was one pick away from passing on him..
doubt it. Sources said his meeting with the Texans “went very good”. He also seems like a Demeco guy. Physical tough cornerback with a high motor and all around skills. I still believe our pick is good despite his .40 speed. I just know Koolaid was Demeco pick

doubt it. Sources said his meeting with the Texans “went very good”. He also seems like a Demeco guy. Physical tough cornerback with a high motor and all around skills. I still believe our pick is good despite his .40 speed. I just know Koolaid was Demeco pick

But you don't really know that..

Especially if all of your 'reasons' can also be applied to the guy they actually picked..

Put down the Koolaid man… if he was their guy they would’ve made the move to get him. They were happy waiting at 42 and taking Lassiter as evidenced by their reaction when making the pick.

We all liked Koolaid, but we aren’t in the war room. There are any number of reasons they chose Lassiter and why they also chose to stay at 42. End of the day, they upgraded the CB room with a guy who looks ready to play immediately.

Nick has shone he will always be aggressive about getting their guys. The way this all went down makes me feel they didn’t feel that passionate about any player from the block they drew up and were more than happy to pick from the best player of that block still available. This is not to say that they didn’t consider Koolaid better as none of us know that one way or the other, just that they were fine with not having him.

He has good 40.

I keep seeing Kareem Jackson with this guy. A see future move to FS, just like Kareem. But for now, he should play inside imo unless pressed into duty due to injury or poor performance. I’m still a bit worried about outside corner, but all In all, this is a good pick. He’s a player. I also like the flexibility of this new look secondary.

Nick has shone he will always be aggressive about getting their guys. The way this all went down makes me feel they didn’t feel that passionate about any player from the block they drew up and were more than happy to pick from the best player of that block still available. This is not to say that they didn’t consider Koolaid better as none of us know that one way or the other, just that they were fine with not having him.

I think Caserio and Ryans have approached this whole draft as if if the players they would pick weren't far enough apart to make moving up be worth it to them. Maybe they wanted the other guy but clearly not enough to actively go get him. The big moves were done in free agency, the draft was just to shore up the team and fill a couple of holes.

I think Caserio and Ryans have approached this whole draft as if if the players they would pick weren't far enough apart to make moving up be worth it to them. Maybe they wanted the other guy but clearly not enough to actively go get him. The big moves were done in free agency, the draft was just to shore up the team and fill a couple of holes.

One guy you can argue they probably would've taken is Bullard at 59 if he hadn't gone the pick before to the Packers. Then they traded up for their next best safety in the third in Bullock. But even this is just speculation.

But you don't really know that..

Especially if all of your 'reasons' can also be applied to the guy they actually picked..
How do you know Koolaid wasn’t Demeco guy. Texans tried trading up but didn’t have any luck. Asking price was too high. Never said kamari was a bad pick. I gave him praise. Just know for a fact this wasn’t Demeco first option heading into this draft. If it makes you even happier, maybe Koolaid wasn’t Demeco first option either. Just saying if those 2 guys are on the board, Koolaid would be Demecos pick. Defensive coach knows speed kills just like a good qb coach isn’t selecting a slow thrower over a fast one. Same applies to cornerbacks

I agree

How do you know Koolaid wasn’t Demeco guy. Texans tried trading up but didn’t have any luck. Asking price was too high. Never said kamari was a bad pick. I gave him praise. Just know for a fact this wasn’t Demeco first option heading into this draft. If it makes you even happier, maybe Koolaid wasn’t Demeco first option either. Just saying if those 2 guys are on the board, Koolaid would be Demecos pick. Defensive coach knows speed kills just like a good qb coach isn’t selecting a slow thrower over a fast one. Same applies to cornerbacks

I never said I knew anyone was or wasn't DeMeco's guy. That's the difference between you and I. I'm not insisting on an absolute fact that I can't really know.

Put down the Koolaid man… if he was their guy they would’ve made the move to get him. They were happy waiting at 42 and taking Lassiter as evidenced by their reaction when making the pick.

We all liked Koolaid, but we aren’t in the war room. There are any number of reasons they chose Lassiter and why they also chose to stay at 42. End of the day, they upgraded the CB room with a guy who looks ready to play immediately.
You realize every gm doesn’t get their way all the time. We were very lucky last year. Reports came out, raiders tried trading up to land a top qb instead of settling for best available player. Do you think raiders first priority was tight end in this draft. You don’t get your way all the time. Making too many moves like we made last year is a quick way to regress our team. Nick wisely kept our picks because the asking price was too high. Not here to boost Koolaid, just saying he would have been our selection

You realize every gm doesn’t get their way all the time. We were very lucky last year. Reports came out, raiders tried trading up to land a top qb instead of settling for best available player. Do you think raiders first priority was tight end in this draft. You don’t get your way all the time. Making too many moves like we made last year is a quick way to regress our team. Nick wisely kept our picks because the asking price was too high. Not here to boost Koolaid, just saying he would have been our selection
Maybe.....maybe not. Odds are that they had them graded similarly. They got the Lassiter pick in pretty quickly and seemed pumped. They apparently were trying to get back into the first on Thursday night. I wonder if they were surprised that Mitchell and/or Arnold fell into the 20s.

Maybe.....maybe not. Odds are that they had them graded similarly. They got the Lassiter pick in pretty quickly and seemed pumped. They apparently were trying to get back into the first on Thursday night. I wonder if they were surprised that Mitchell and/or Arnold fell into the 20s.
Or Nate Wiggins. No telling but I’m happy with our guy. Can’t wait to see him ball

One guy you can argue they probably would've taken is Bullard at 59 if he hadn't gone the pick before to the Packers. Then they traded up for their next best safety in the third in Bullock. But even this is just speculation.

It makes sense, considering Caserio's player "pods" description. The first safety pod could have been Nubin, Bullard, and Bullock. Once the first 2 were off the board, Nick trades up for the 3rd.

Bullard is a different type of player than Bullock as well. Bullard is more of a Pitre downhill type player whereas Bullock is the rangy centerfielder. Would have liked Bullock but that would have changed their draft strategy going forward. Which is something Nick has said happens in previous interviews.

The board dictates your picks. You coach based on the players you have. Etc. etc.

He also said Bullock was in the conversation for pick 59 but they chose to go Fisher. That tells me Bullock was in that safety “pod” @Lucky mentioned but Fisher was rated more highly based on where he was rated relative to the rest of the OT options.

I think fans of every team can cherry pick stats that reinforce "their guy" is the better player/prospect. This guys at is @Texans_Thoughts and he dug deep to find a stat that supported his view. When looking at EPA you have to also look at DVOA.

Like Lucky, I'm not trying to be a wet blanket or piss in anyone's Cheerios. When trying to evaluate a player to be objective we should look at the whole picture. Individual stats, team stats, the opposition, the character of a player, demeanor, personality, etc. And even months, maybe years of taking all that in consideration, the analyst and scouts are more likely to be wrong than right. But cherry picking one stat to tell all the evaluators and professional NFL scouts they're all stupid and you're (not you but the guy posting the tweet) right is short sided.

Lassiter may very well be the best CB in this draft class when all is said and done but he likely wasn't on many fans or scouts top 3 or 5 lists. I bet even the Texans_Thoughts guy had other corners ahead of Lassiter.

I think fans of every team can cherry pick stats that reinforce "their guy" is the better player/prospect. This guys at is @Texans_Thoughts and he dug deep to find a stat that supported his view. When looking at EPA you have to also look at DVOA.

Like Lucky, I'm not trying to be a wet blanket or piss in anyone's Cheerios. When trying to evaluate a player to be objective we should look at the whole picture. Individual stats, team stats, the opposition, the character of a player, demeanor, personality, etc. And even months, maybe years of taking all that in consideration, the analyst and scouts are more likely to be wrong than right. But cherry picking one stat to tell all the evaluators and professional NFL scouts they're all stupid and you're (not you but the guy posting the tweet) right is short sided.

Lassiter may very well be the best CB in this draft class when all is said and done but he likely wasn't on many fans or scouts top 3 or 5 lists. I bet even the Texans_Thoughts guy had other corners ahead of Lassiter.
End of the day we have to answer these questions:

Is Kamari Lassiter a good football player? Yes.

Will DeMeco and the defensive coaching staff be able to develop him and put him in position to succeed? Hell yes.

Everything else doesn’t matter now. The team added a good football player and they have the coaches that can get the most out of said player.

Edit: someone did the same post as me already oops

Lassiter likes physicality and is a sure tackler. I like his ability to accelerate and change direction quickly which should make him a good slot corner even though he played outside at Georgia. The few times I watched him he seemed kind of grabby to me, which is more concerning than his recovery speed or lack thereof. One thing I keep seeing about him in reports is that he has a high football IQ and that is definitely a positive attribute.

Back