Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Welcome to Houston - Denzel Perryman

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Mills isn't even close to the worst Texans QB ever. Dud is a 3rd round pick and has been in **** systems for 2 years in a row. I'm not saying he's the guy, but your hyperbole is ridiculous.
Drafting "a QB" at 1.2 this year might change your point of view on "worst Texans QB ever". There isn't a QB in this draft class that doesn't have warts. All of them will do great, going against "air" during their pro days, but watching the film tells the tale. I don't see a single QB in this draft that I would tab as a day 1 starter.
I don't know if it's fair to call Mills the worst starting QB the Texans ever had.

But on game days, there were little hope that the Texans would win a game.

He was reigned in for the most part (dink and dunk) and take some shots downfield.

Between Vegas and the NFL (which now partners with Vegas); things have become stranger than ever.

Mills is not terrible by any mean.
I'm sure I'm too harsh on him at times because I think Caserio wasted a pick where he can find a starter.

I did even say that Mills was only a bad pick at the wrong time.

It's funny how there are posters who want to build the Oline first, yet they were OK with drafting Mills.

Mills was a project.
A rebuild team cannot afford a project at QB.
That pick is better served with an Olineman.

I truly believe that if there's no wager, the numbers would have been much worse for Mills.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
I don't know if it's fair to call Mills the worst starting QB the Texans ever had.

But on game days, there were little hope that the Texans would win a game.

He was reigned in for the most part (dink and dunk) and take some shots downfield.

Between Vegas and the NFL (which now partners with Vegas); things have become stranger than ever.

Mills is not terrible by any mean.
I'm sure I'm too harsh on him at times because I think Caserio wasted a pick where he can find a starter.

I did even say that Mills was only a bad pick at the wrong time.

It's funny how there are posters who want to build the Oline first, yet they were OK with drafting Mills.

Mills was a project.
A rebuild team cannot afford a project at QB.
That pick is better served with an Olineman.

I truly believe that if there's no wager, the numbers would have been much worse for Mills.

Fair criticism. I remember many on here wanted Quinn Meinerz, who has developed into a quality starter for the Broncos.

Mills ceiling appears to be solid backup at this point. He’s not the guy you want to go into the season as your starter and he showed that last season. Can make plays, but besides the final game of last season, is not “clutch”.

Porky

Hall of Fame
Worst starters? Dave Ragone only had two starts. He might be #1 for me, but only 2 starts. I'm going with min 6 starts and going 5 deep from worst to slightly better.
#1 Tom Savage
#2 - Ryan Mallett
#3 - Davis Mills
#4 - Brock Osweiler
#5 - Brian Hoyer

Runner Up - David Carr

Xopher

Rookie
Yep but too much spicy has been too much for me all my life. Including the half Honduran and half Cajun I was married to for 5 years. Ay caramba¡!
You made it 5 years with a half Hounduran and half Cajun? Those fights must have been epic. Glad you made it out alive.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Worst starters? Dave Ragone only had two starts. He might be #1 for me, but only 2 starts. I'm going with min 6 starts and going 5 deep from worst to slightly better.
#1 Tom Savage
#2 - Ryan Mallett
#3 - Davis Mills
#4 - Brock Osweiler
#5 - Brian Hoyer

Runner Up - David Carr
I would be tempted to swap 3 & 4, based on cash and draft capital expended to get rid of him.

badboy

Hall of Fame
What boudin are you eating? Stuffed with ghost pepper and Carolina reaper?
I went to Louisiana with mother in law to get several boxes once. Don't Remember name of the small meat market but it was famous allegedly. She sold it at the Strawberry fair at the pasadena rodeo grounds. 1990 ish. IIRC

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I went to Louisiana with mother in law to get several boxes once. Don't Remember name of the small meat market but it was famous allegedly. She sold it at the Strawberry fair at the pasadena rodeo grounds. 1990 ish. IIRC
Mother-in-law. Makes all the sense in the world now.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
Fair point. I'd say Brock was very slightly better on the field but the dude cost us a #2 just to dump him. That's pretty epic.

Oz.

He didn't have the worst performance. He was just the catalyst for one the worst trades in history.

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
And what would that be, and why would you have a problem with it?
One side is just prove its and "waiting for more elsewhere just waiting for the moment I can walk" and other side is reclamation bargain hunting kind of "money ball-ing." On the other hand, maybe one year contracts force some players to play their best.

I'm not too crazy about the mercenary aspect of it. It's very cold and cookie-cutter. I like rooting for teams and players with longevity and desire to establish runs and develop souls and identities going for years and decades. Sports are entertainment after all. We watch because we want to fall and stay in love with the teams we root for. Don't think too much turnover and so many transactions are good for sports, in general.

Of course it's not usually the superstars that are going for these one year deals. Still cheesy and entirely "Oakland As"-y.

Marcus

Windmill cancer survivor
Contributor's Club
One side is just prove its and "waiting for more elsewhere just waiting for the moment I can walk" and other side is reclamation bargain hunting kind of "money ball-ing." On the other hand, maybe one year contracts force some players to play their best.

I'm not too crazy about the mercenary aspect of it. It's very cold and cookie-cutter. I like rooting for teams and players with longevity and desire to establish runs and develop souls and identities going for years and decades. Sports are entertainment after all. We watch because we want to fall and stay in love with the teams we root for. Don't think too much turnover and so many transactions are good for sports, in general.

Of course it's not usually the superstars that are going for these one year deals. Still cheesy and entirely "Oakland As"-y.
Aside from other teams also doing one year deals, (and I would bet this has a lot do with GMs that are fed up with dead money) I can see the scenario where players are reaching out to Caserio expressing a desire to play for DeMeco Ryans, with Caserio responding that he can’t afford the multi year deal they are requesting, but counterofferring a one year deal to see how things work out. The ones who accept it, will no doubt play hard. How much they pan out will determine how much the next offer they get.

Personally, I have a problem with offering multi year deals to players past their rookie contracts. More often than not, it’s just a recipe for overpaying someone who no longer has that deep desire to play hard. And from that comes the dead money from cutting him loose.

Last edited:

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
When u factor in everything …Expectations, total money & draft capital used to acquire and/or send away, team success waste…which i define as the potential the team had to do more…but couldn’t b/c your trash ass play held the team back….the only answer here is Brock Osweiler….as the worst starting qb this team has ever had that is.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
When u factor in everything …Expectations, total money & draft capital used to acquire and/or send away, team success waste…which i define as the potential the team had to do more…but couldn’t b/c your trash ass play held the team back….the only answer here is Brock Osweiler….as the worst starting qb this team has ever had that is.
It's a sad state of affairs when you have to concede that Matt Schaub was the best QB we have had. Good Schaub pairing with AJ was pretty exciting to watch.
Toss in Arian Foster and we had an offense that teams had to respect.
Ah, the good ole days ...

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
Aside from other teams also doing one year deals, (and I would bet this has a lot do with GMs that are fed up with dead money) I can see the scenario where players are reaching out to Caserio expressing a desire to play for DeMeco Ryans, with Caserio responding that he can’t afford the multi year deal they are requesting, but counterofferring a one year deal to see how things work out. The ones who accept it, will no doubt play hard. How much they pan out will determine how much the next offer they get.

Personally, I have a problem with offering multi year deals to players past their rookie contracts. More often than not, it’s just a recipe for overpaying someone who no longer has that deep desire to play hard. And from that comes the dead money from cutting him loose.
Very true in a lot of ways.