Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Welcome to Houston David Culley, Head Coach

Texansballer74

The Marine
Sure. But, dude has been a coach in football since 1978. Just based on experience alone, he should be making better decisions than the average Madden player.

But, he's not. At least right now.

He's a really nice guy so I don't want to be gratuitous in my critical analysis. I honestly hope he improves as HC for all of our sakes.
Exactly. Like them jokers on 610 kept saying,” someone or somebody’s is in his ear”. That fake punt, then having the punter try to run back and kick was straight up high school coaching. Then to blame it on the kicker was unprofessional. He said they practiced that three time in practice. I’m like wtf are you practicing that. Smart complimentary football says to punt that and pin them on the goal line. Or go for it since you’ve been successful on fourth down three times already.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Exactly. Like them jokers on 610 kept saying,” someone or somebody’s is in his ear”. That fake punt, then having the punter try to run back and kick was straight up high school coaching. Then to blame it on the kicker was unprofessional. He said they practiced that three time in practice. I’m like wtf are you practicing that. Smart complimentary football says to punt that and pin them on the goal line. Or go for it since you’ve been successful on fourth down three times already.
He mentioned it was 4th & less than 5. So the thinking was if they get a certain look, they were going to go with the fake. If they didn't get the look they were hoping to draw someone off sides. Neither happened. He was confident his guy would be able to get the punt off in that situation. In practice... they usually don't have a guy pushing their defenders back as hard as someone from an opposing team.

Texansballer74

The Marine
He mentioned it was 4th & less than 5. So the thinking was if they get a certain look, they were going to go with the fake. If they didn't get the look they were hoping to draw someone off sides. Neither happened. He was confident his guy would be able to get the punt off in that situation. In practice... they usually don't have a guy pushing their defenders back as hard as someone from an opposing team.
Man just punt the darn ball and hope the defense does their jobs.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
3 weeks in a row now he’s said he’d do something the opposite way he did it.

And did anyone catch his thoughts on whether to let the Patriots score or not? Of course he said he wouldn’t have accepted the penalty if he had to do it again, but then he was talking about how the Pats passed to help them. Only problem with that statement was that the last pass attempt came at 3:18, so I don’t know WTF he was talking about there.

When he was 1st answering questions about Watson, he didn’t appear to be on the same page with Caserio. All interview questions after that, he towed the company line. When he’s instructed on what to say, he seems fine, but on his own in these post game conferences, he doesn’t seem to have a clue.

He may be a good motivator for the players, but I think he’s way in over his head as HC. Dude has never been on anybody’s list to be HC. He’s here to be Bo Porter, that’s it.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
The only way this would make sense is if the team is using Romeo Crennnel as the channel. Romeo’s in the booth and I wouldn’t be surprised if he needed to pass an order to DC…..he could do it.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
The only way this would make sense is if the team is using Romeo Crennnel as the channel. Romeo’s in the booth and I wouldn’t be surprised if he needed to pass an order to DC…..he could do it.
He might have too many people in his ears. Easterby on the sidelines, Caserio in the booth, Bobby Boucher on his left shoulder and Radio on his right shoulder.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
View attachment 9181

Best chance to win? With many of the moves that have been made, it's become pretty evident that winning has not been a priority this season. So if this is the case, see what you have in Mills.......at least in another few games, if (preferably in my mind) not the entire season. Mills potentially has a future as a starter for the Texans........Taylor does not.

Number19

Hall of Fame
View attachment 9181

Best chance to win? With many of the moves that have been made, it's become pretty evident that winning has not been a priority this season. So if this is the case, see what you have in Mills.......at least in another few games, if (preferably in my mind) not the entire season. Mills potentially has a future as a starter for the Texans........Taylor does not.
With Tunsil now out, we have lost both our RT and our LT. Mills will be under more pressure from the edges.

Our only tackles are now Heck and Christian. Who has the Texans activated or signed? We need at least one backup, I would think?

Last edited:

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
With Tunsil not out, we have lost both our RT and our LT. Mills will be under more pressure from the edges.

Our only tackles are now Heck and Christian. Who has the Texans activated or signed? We need at least one backup, I would think?
We have another possibility.

Justin signed with the Green Bay Packers where he played for two seasons (2017-18). He played right tackle, right guard and left guard in his 13 appearances with eight starts in 2017.

When the Packers traded him to Cleveland before the start of the 2019 season, McCray played in 15 games with four total starts at both right and left tackle for the Browns.

In back-to-back seasons, McCray was part of two different offensive lines that were top five in rushing. In 2018, the Packers ranked second in the NFL with an average 5.02 yards per carry. With the Browns in 2019, McCray assisted in blockading for a rushing attack that averaged the fourth-best yards per carry (4.84) in the NFL.

Last season, McCray signed with the Atlanta Falcons as an unrestricted free agent. He appeared in 10 games with two starts at left guard and helped the Falcons average the fifth-most passing yards per game (272.7) in the NFL.
LINK

*************************************************************************************

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Hopefully they move Howard out to LT, and work someone else in at LG.
I like Geron & Heck as our tackles. Makes more sense to let them play out the season to see what we got. I feel really good about Heck’s future in the near term & so-so about Christian.

of course I’d put Mr Glass out there at QB as soon as he’s available & save the wear & tear on the project.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Listening to the radio 610 and they played an audio clip of Coach saying Tyrod will be the starter once he's available. I guess Caserio has other plans according these jokers.

So here we go again with the power struggle between the GM and head coach.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
lol at USA Today. Who writes this stuff? Are they not aware of who is running the show on Kirby Drive? :lol:

4 NFL assistants Texans should target to replace David Culley in 2022

David Culley has done his job for the Houston Texans in 2021.

The 65-year-old career assistant coach was brought in to bring optimism and consistent positivity as the club worked through a “process-oriented” type of season. Culley’s on-the-job training as a coach has cost them a couple wins.

Given the Texans’ four-game losing streak since their 37-21 victory over the dysfunctional Jacksonville Jaguars in Week 1, peppered with questionable coaching decisions, Culley may not be the guy long-term when the club starts becoming more results-oriented.

Here are four assistant coaches in the NFL that the Texans shoulder consider as Culley’s replacement when the season is over in January.

Full article
Most of these guys probably won't want anything to do with the Texans right now, which is most likely a primary reason they had to reach for a guy like Culley.

And like the Texans are going to fire Culley after the first year of a 5 year deal. This writer is smoking crack.

Texansballer74

The Marine
lol at USA Today. Who writes this stuff? Are they not aware of who is running the show on Kirby Drive? :lol:

Most of these guys probably won't want anything to do with the Texans right now, which is most likely a primary reason they had to reach for a guy like Culley.

And like the Texans are going to fire Culley after the first year of a 5 year deal. This writer is smoking crack.
I don’t blame them, this organization is that dysfunctional.

paycheck71

Hall of Fame
I guess you can’t say they aren’t willing to spend money to win…

But you can say they don’t know how to spend money to win.

It isn’t so much the effort but it’s the execution of it all that is killing the team.
With this whole Easterby fiasco it's also clear to me that they don't just want to win, they want to win their way, whatever that even is. I think they're misguided at the very least.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
With this whole Easterby fiasco it's also clear to me that they don't just want to win, they want to win their way, whatever that even is. I think they're misguided at the very least.
I believe Kyle said in the Caserio hiring presser, that the Texans were going to "win the right way". Whatever that means.

He also asked the fans to trust him. Because of all the great things he's done in the past?

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I believe Kyle said in the Caserio hiring presser, that the Texans were going to "win the right way". Whatever that means.

He also asked the fans to trust him. Because of all the great things he's done in the past?
This is where the rubber meets the road and with the Texans, and it's a road with potholes and black ice.

Kyle is trying to follow his daddy's 'legacy' of "win the right way", which is some kind of apparent double-speak clouded in hubris, which appears to be an agenda of vetting players with metrics that only a few in the building are aware of and what led Matt Schaub to comfortably say "Texans worthy".

And this makes me wonder: what team has won a championship with a priority on culture over talent? Because eventually you can't have both with all players if you really want to field enough talent to compete for championships.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
This is where the rubber meets the road and with the Texans, and it's a road with potholes and black ice.

Kyle is trying to follow his daddy's 'legacy' of "win the right way", which is some kind of apparent double-speak clouded in hubris, which appears to be an agenda of vetting players with metrics that only a few in the building are aware of and what led Matt Schaub to comfortably say "Texans worthy".

And this makes me wonder: what team has won a championship with a priority on culture over talent? Because eventually you can't have both with all players if you really want to field enough talent to compete for championships.
Lol, basically every team who has ever won a championship prioritized culture over talent....

If you look at dyansties of past and present, Culture is always the priority early on; usually ushered in by the Owner/GM/HC combo all being in sync with each other. 80's 49ers..............DeBartolo fired the old HC and GM in his 1st year of buying the team and brought in Walsh and a new GM....who in turn drafted Montana in the 3rd. They stunk for a year or 2 before turning it around. But Debartolo and the new GM established the culture 1st, Walsh came in with a plan & framework that fit that culture & the rest is history.

& as much as we loathe Jerrah, he pretty much did the same thing when he took over the Cowboys in 89. Immediately came in and fired 2 beloved fixtures of the team in Landry & Schramm and brought in JJ.

We also know how the Pats and Belichick have repeatedly jettisoned guys who weren't good for the locker room or were out-for-self moreso than the team in favor of guys, who while not as good or don't have the name cache, get the job done.

Even in our own little corner of the world with the LUV ya Blue Oilers...who didn't win a championship, had a great and unique team culture that saw them go further than any Houston football team to date. Contrast them with those Jack Pardee/ Jerry Glanville Oiler teams who probably were just as talented but had shitty team culture.....contentious practices where the offense hated the defense..........coaches fighting on the sidelines and ****...Its no wonder they had 1st round exits every damn year.

Last edited:

sandman

Brexit Advisor
Lol, basically every team who has ever won a championship prioritized culture over talent....

If you look at dyansties of past and present, Culture is always the priority early on; usually ushered in by the Owner/GM/HC combo all being in sync with each other. 80's 49ers..............DeBartolo fired the old HC and GM in his 1st year of buying the team and brought in Walsh and a new GM....who in turn drafted Montana in the 3rd. They stunk for a year or 2 before turning it around. But Debartolo and the new GM established the culture 1st, Walsh came in with a plan & framework that fit that culture & the rest is history.

& as much as we loathe Jerrah, he pretty much did the same thing when he took over the Cowboys in 89. Immediately came in and fired 2 beloved fixtures of the team in Landry & Schramm and brought in JJ.

We also know how the Pats and Belichick have repeatedly jettisoned guys who weren't good for the locker room or were out-for-self moreso than the team in favor of guys, who while not as good or don't have the name cache, get the job done.

Even in our own little corner of the world with the LUV ya Blue Oilers...who didn't win a championship, had a great and unique team culture that saw them go further than any Houston football team to date. Contrast them with those Jack Pardee/ Jerry Glanville Oiler teams who probably were just as talented but had shitty team chemistry.....contentious practices where the offense hated the defense..........coaches fighting on the sidelines and ****...Its no wonder they had 1st round exits every damn year.
From a different perspective, '99 Spurs (Team Jesus), 90's Pistons (Bad Boys), 80's Miami Hurricanes, the Patriots Way, 70's Pirates (We are Family), Seattle Legion of Boom, Pittsburgh Steel Curtain, Rams Greatest Show on Turf, 70's Raiders, Bronx Bombers, Smash Bros, Purple People Eaters and on and on and on. Culture creates the mindset of winning or losing, but culture doesn't always mean boy scouts.

I think the longstanding debate here around culture has been if players on this team over the years have been based on being the best possible talent or their regular church attendance. Some espouse that you bring in the talent regardless of character issues. At least they did before the Watson saga.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
From a different perspective, '99 Spurs (Team Jesus), 90's Pistons (Bad Boys), 80's Miami Hurricanes, the Patriots Way, 70's Pirates (We are Family), Seattle Legion of Boom, Pittsburgh Steel Curtain, Rams Greatest Show on Turf, 70's Raiders, Bronx Bombers, Smash Bros, Purple People Eaters and on and on and on. Culture creates the mindset of winning or losing, but culture doesn't always mean boy scouts.

I think the longstanding debate here around culture has been if players on this team over the years have been based on being the best possible talent or their regular church attendance. Some espouse that you bring in the talent regardless of character issues. At least they did before the Watson saga.
agreed. the word and importance of culture in the team/organization setting has taken on a bad rep here b/c many now associate it with Jack Easterby. But i submit that the Texans are where they're at right now b/c BoB and many who were in the locker room and FO largely ignored the type of culture needed around an organization to win big.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
With Tunsil now out, we have lost both our RT and our LT. Mills will be under more pressure from the edges.

I'm almost to the point I was in Derrick's rookie yr.

No need to let Mills get hurt behind this OL. Let Mills start when Tunsil gets back.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I'm almost to the point I was in Derrick's rookie yr.

No need to let Mills get hurt behind this OL. Let Mills start when Tunsil gets back.
I think Geron played well in the preseason & ok last week. Colts do not have any pass rushers to be worried about, I'm sure he'll do fine.

Arizona... yeah, hopefully Tyrod is in there taking that beating.

banned1976

sleeper mode
I just heard a pretty good analogy for Culley. He’s the Houston Texans version of Junior Soprano. He’s not running much of anything but whatever decisions he does make turns bad. But he’s not a functioning head coach, he just has that title. Which, we all pretty knew, it’s just too bad that he has to take all the heat while the guys pulling the strings largely get a pass.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
LMAO :spit: You're acting like the "Texans culture" is the same as any given championship franchise's culture. There's your first mistake. It's myopically funny, tbh.

And I disagree with your overall premise. Analyze championship teams and you will find some malcontents on just about every roster, which is when teams clearly tolerate guys because they are extremely talented.

For instance, the Texans would never have a guy like Antonio Brown on the roster, while the Buccaneers are winning a SB with the guy.

banned1976

sleeper mode
He's pulling the same strings Saleh, Flores, Staley, or any HC not named Belichick or Reid are pulling.
Did those other guys hire their staff? Honest question, I don’t really know and am on my phone right now but that’s how it’s traditionally done- HC picks his staff.

I don’t hate Culley, I wish him the most success possible. I just feel he’s a human shield right now.