Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Welcome to Houston David Culley, Head Coach

Texian

Hall of Fame
I've always said Culley was a bridge HC. Did you ever think differently? So if Culley gets fired I won't consider it to be a FUBAR.
I think ownership wanted HC that can million and guide. Perfect head coach AVAILABLE was Culley.
Because Josh McDaniels is under contract and is waiting to see who Nick drafts for his QB. j/k. . .sorta'. . . :winky:
Because bridge head coaches were the only ones that would take the job.
One out four ain't bad. Lucky gets the chicken dinner. The Texans had the first HC opening and were the last team to hire a HC. Their HC hiring process was was a complete clown show that is now available to see on Sundays and a occasional Thursday night.

And the HC that he SHOULD have hired was?
See avatar pic, Eliot Wolf as GM and Mike Renner as Asst GM but then again I'm not Jack Easterby or Kyle.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
One out four ain't bad. Lucky gets the chicken dinner. The Texans had the first HC opening and were the last team to hire a HC. Their HC hiring process was was a complete clown show that is now available to see on Sundays and a occasional Thursday night.

See avatar pic, Eliot Wolf as GM and Mike Renner as Asst GM but then again I'm not Jack Easterby or Kyle.
Cal screwed this up no doubt

I wanted Wolf over Caserio, but I'm not as bitter about it as you are.

Last edited:

Texian

Hall of Fame
Ah, so this is a "they didn't pick the one specific guy I wanted so no matter who they chose it was the worst decision ever made in the history of mankind" scenario. And you doubled up on the GM pick too.
Not even close

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Cal screwed this up no doubt

I wanted Wolf over Caserio, but I'm not as butter about it as you are.
If Wolf is so good - how come every destination he has been has ultimately passed on him? There were 7 openings this year and not one team hired him.

And you can’t use the “been around football all his life” and “his dad was” reasoning.

Because if that is the chief reason then we would have one Tommy Boy leading another Tommy Boy.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
If Wolf is so good - how come every destination he has been has ultimately passed on him? There were 7 openings this year and not one team hired him.

And you can’t use the “been around football all his life” and “his dad was” reasoning.

Because if that is the chief reason then we would have one Tommy Boy leading another Tommy Boy.
I dont get this either. Obviously he's good at evaluating talent. It must be a personality thing or he doesn't interview well.

I guess you could call it the Bill/Chris Polian syndrome.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
I dont get this either. Obviously he's good at evaluating talent. It must be a personality thing or he doesn't interview well.

I guess you could call it the Bill/Chris Polian syndrome.
Is he good at evaluating talent?

Who are his successes?

He may interview bad. Zimmer was horrible at interviewing. It was he was passed up a lot.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I believe coaching is the reason they’ve been competitive so far. One thing missing in this game was the lack of takeaways.
Maybe.
But why the tackling is still so poor?

Why is it that the running game is still porous with 4 veteran RBs and 5 veteran linemen (the unit is supposed to be quite an upgrade and the offensive line coach is supposed to be a good one)?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Is he good at evaluating talent?

Who are his successes?

He may interview bad. Zimmer was horrible at interviewing. It was he was passed up a lot.
He worked for the Packers championship team

He helped Dorsey procure talent for the Browns rebuild.

He helped Belichick in the Pats last draft. Did you like the Pats last draft? I did.

There's no denying Wolf is a great scout and with his connections around the NFL you would think he would be a NFL GM by now. Something doesn't add up. Is this another McCloughan case?

Number19

Hall of Fame
Maybe.
But why the tackling is still so poor?

Why is it that the running game is still porous with 4 veteran RBs and 5 veteran linemen (the unit is supposed to be quite an upgrade and the offensive line coach is supposed to be a good one)?
The coaches will obviously not answer our questions. We need someone like 610's Stoerner is for quarterbacks, who is a former NFL offensive lineman who can analyze each OLman and evaluate their performance and give us a clue.

We have three players new to their position (on the Texans line) and one who underperformed last year and whose play is still questionable.

So the question for me is, what should be our expectations for how long it takes for our players to gel and start performing as a cohesive unit in sync with the RB's?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

He helped Belichick in the Pats last draft. Did you like the Pats last draft? I did.

There's no denying Wolf is a great scout and with his connections around the NFL you would think he would be a NFL GM by now. Something doesn't add up. Is this another McCloughan case?
:thinking:

I wonder what his role was in those situations & why he's not a GM. Sounds like a man who needs an Estybunny.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
The coaches will obviously not answer our questions. We need someone like 610's Stoerner is for quarterbacks, who is a former NFL offensive lineman who can analyze each OLman and evaluate their performance and give us a clue.

We have three players new to their position (on the Texans line) and one who underperformed last year and whose play is still questionable.

So the question for me is, what should be our expectations for how long it takes for our players to gel and start performing as a cohesive unit in sync with the RB's?
Well, Kubiak inherited a 2-14 team.
He had all 5 new olinemen.
He had several new backs that had never played for him.

The first game was rough as the two backs (Lundy and Morency) both averaged under 3 ypc.

He elevated Dayne and the youngster Gado.
Together with Lundy, the backs went 20-98 in the second game against the eventual 12-4 Colts (granted that run D was below average).
But that's nearly a 5.0 average.

And in the third game, Dayne (who is a power back and was averaging some 3.7 ypc in his previous 5 years) went 14-58.
That's better than a 4.0 average.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
The Texans are milking dry cows.
Kubiak made 28yd old slow turk Ron fatty Dane averaging 4.1 and 4.0 in his two years here.

Lindsay ain't no oldie.

BTW, DJ was having a better time running the ball this year.
Then when he came in, he got 7 and 4 on two separate occasions.
But they continue to feed Lindsay.

Ingram, I can understand.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
The fact is that Culley just F'd up in the worst possible moment. For a normal person, it is excusable. For an NFL head coach, it is not. After 30 years as a coach in the NFL your shouldn't make such a bone headed decision. This situation really told me why he shouldn't be a head coach. I fear there are more to come.
Even the best make boneheaded, stupid mistakes at the worst times. Or, to put it another way, if this was a game of Clue I would accuse Pete Carrol, In the Super Bowl with the pass.

Texian

Hall of Fame

His Dad is HOF Ron Wolf. Eliot has been in NFL draft room since he was 12 years old. As you know I am a big proponent of GMs and HC s who began learning their trade as children such Belichick, Saban and Wolf. They're at an age when their learning capabilities have a bigger sponge. Although Eliot is only 39 years old he has been in an NFL draft war room for the last 28 years. Also spent 13 years under Ted Thompson.

Texian

Hall of Fame
:thinking:

I wonder what his role was in those situations & why he's not a GM. Sounds like a man who needs an Estybunny.
As an executive:

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Kubiak made 28yd old slow turk Ron fatty Dane averaging 4.1 and 4.0 in his two years here.
Not sure what else I can tell you. What the Texans are doing now is not going to work.

Which makes me wonder how much a certain someone really wants this to work.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame

I am seeing that Wolf is part of something successful , but I don’t see him being a reason for that something being successful. Or at least what he contributed to be successful.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
His Dad is HOF Ron Wolf. Eliot has been in NFL draft room since he was 12 years old. As you know I am a big proponent of GMs and HC s who began learning their trade as children such Belichick, Saban and Wolf. They're at an age when their learning capabilities have a bigger sponge. Although Eliot is only 39 years old he has been in an NFL draft war room for the last 28 years. Also spent 13 years under Ted Thompson.
Sounds like you like Tommy Boys first.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
As an executive:
Gotcha... he's never been the man, but the man helping the man.

Earl34

Hall of Fame

Previous seasons, former Texans OL, Wade Smith had segments on 610. He was very knowledgeable and provide great insight. However, I haven't heard anything from him this year.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
As an executive:
Just because you help the man, doesn’t mean you qualify to be the man.