Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Welcome to Houston David Culley, Head Coach

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Agree. I’ve never thought for one second that the Texans are in tank mode. I don’t even know how it is possible to “tank”. If the Texans wanted to tank all they would have to do is keep the same team they had last year. Everything NC and DC is doing is being done to erase that memory and change the teams culture so that next years draftees arent Coming into a losing culture. Why waste their first year next year in rebuild mode.
Yeah, agreed. The only thing we can do now is give them some time to see if they are as worthless or better than we've had in the past.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Agree. I’ve never thought for one second that the Texans are in tank mode. I don’t even know how it is possible to “tank”. If the Texans wanted to tank all they would have to do is keep the same team they had last year. Everything NC and DC is doing is being done to erase that memory and change the teams culture so that next years draftees arent Coming into a losing culture. Why waste their first year next year in rebuild mode.

It’s just some of our fans who wants to tank. Some thinks, the way to success starts with the draft. Sometimes that works but it’s not a guarantee. I can throw out three teams who went that route ( Jaguars, Browns and Jets) The Jaguars had one good year and back to the bottom. The Browns just made it back to the playoffs after years of being one of the worst teams in the league.

Yes we don’t have elite talent like the Chiefs but we’re not talentless. With good coaching and good scheme, you can overcome not having elite talent. The Eagles best talent were injured and they still won the Super Bowl against the greatest dynasty I’ve seen in the NFL.

Last edited:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I want you to be right, I really do, I want Culley to give a big F you to all the doubters.
There are 4 or 5 articles written after the scrimmage that I thought offered real insight into what kind of HC Culley is going to be. I got a good feeling from them. But we'll see.

I still don’t get why we are using a base offense that has no philosophy or identity, multiple crap maybe,
I think this is overblown. It's just new coach speak. Back in the day it was, "We're going to be balanced." Before then it was, "We're going to run the ball & we're going to stop the run."

We'll have to wait & see before we can figure out what their philosophy is. I mean BO'b said a lot about his offense that we never saw on Sunday.

I think that was more indicative of his inability to plan, implement, or execute at the OC/HC level.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
The Texans hired a head coach that did not bring his own playbook. Think about that for a minute. He didn't bring in his own OC. Or DC. So, why not keep the same guy as last year? When it doesn't work (and it won't), Caserio can hire another OC.
Many here would have been happy if Lil Shanahan could have stayed here after Kubiak left. (I know Kyle left way before Kubiak) or Lefleur, or if Saleh would have stayed here & worked his way up to DC, or something.

Not that Kelly is anything like those guys. But at the time the decision was made & the Texans in "there's a chance she'll come back" mode... I'm not holding that against Culley or Caserio.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
They brought in 50 new players, most of whom are special team players, career backups and spot starters. And really, that's fine. They needed to tear this thing down even more and try to start building some depth for when they are ready to add playmakers. I'm totally OK with that, even if it means the season is lost before it even starts. They get a top 5 pick next year, plus whatever they eventually/hopefully get for Watson, and they can start to turn this thing around a whole lot quicker.

Of course they don't call it a tank as team's are going out there and trying to win every Sunday, that's reserved for the fans, but when you strip it down to start over, it is what it is.

It’s just some of our fans who wants to tank. Some thinks the way to success starts with the draft. Sometimes that works but it’s not a guarantee. I can throw out three teams who went that route ( Jaguars, Browns and Jets) The Jaguars had one good year and back to the bottom. The Browns just made it back to the playoffs after years of being one of the worst teams in the league.

Yes we don’t have elite talent like the Chiefs but we’re not talentless. With good coaching and good scheme, you can overcome not having elite talent. The Eagles best talent were injured and they still won the Super Bowl against the greatest dynasty I’ve seen in the NFL.
I don't ever want to tank, but I do believe that the draft plays a big role in your success. Now that doesn't mean striving for a top 5 pick every year either, as the Jags and Browns have proven that doesn't work. The hope is that Caserio is able to draft better than those guys did, or at least have a plethora of picks to even out the odds of missing.

And no, the Eagles weren't talentless, nor were all the talent they had on the trainer's table. They had a top 5 run game, who all played in that SB, they had the Pro-Bowler Ertz, with Alshon Jeffery and Agholor (17 TD between them), 2 All Pro's and a Pro Bowl on the o-line who all played in that game, and a top 5 defense on the field for that game. Let's stop with the making up shit to fit your argument, @SnakeEyes.

Now, you want to argue "elite" talent, that's fine, but they had a **** ton more talent on that team and playing in that SB than the Texans do right now.

And yeah, I agree that coaching and scheme can overcome some things, even if you don't have "elite" talent, but you've got to have some talent.

I do think Lindsay is talented enough. I just fear they're going to give DJ way too much rope. The o-line has potential to be a lot better simply with just better coaching, and all of that's great. There will be spots where players are going to make plays. This is the NFL. But then you're in QB hell again, and who knows what to expect from the defense. Again, you'll probably have guys that show flashes, but will they be able to keep it consistent? Will they have a pass rush that isn't embarrassing? And who steps up to do that? The guy we've been waiting on for a couple of years, Martin? The guy nicknamed Sack Daddy who has just 20.5 sacks in 5 years? Can this secondary cover anybody and make plays?

When I say no talent, I don't mean there isn't anyone who can't step up, just that there isn't anyone who has to this point in their NFL careers. And there definitely isn't any "elite" talent on either side of the ball, save for the LT.

how the team carries itself and competes for 60 minutes.
That is the main thing I am looking for. I can handle losing as long as our team does not beat themselves and they play hard in games from beginning to end. I think we could have won a few more games last season with a fully motivated team but they were far from that. I hope they don't give up on Culley and the other coaches. Win or lose I hope our guys have some pride.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
They brought in 50 new players, most of whom are special team players, career backups and spot starters. And really, that's fine. They needed to tear this thing down even more and try to start building some depth for when they are ready to add playmakers. I'm totally OK with that, even if it means the season is lost before it even starts. They get a top 5 pick next year, plus whatever they eventually/hopefully get for Watson, and they can start to turn this thing around a whole lot quicker.

Of course they don't call it a tank as team's are going out there and trying to win every Sunday, that's reserved for the fans, but when you strip it down to start over, it is what it is.

I don't ever want to tank, but I do believe that the draft plays a big role in your success. Now that doesn't mean striving for a top 5 pick every year either, as the Jags and Browns have proven that doesn't work. The hope is that Caserio is able to draft better than those guys did, or at least have a plethora of picks to even out the odds of missing.

And no, the Eagles weren't talentless, nor were all the talent they had on the trainer's table. They had a top 5 run game, who all played in that SB, they had the Pro-Bowler Ertz, with Alshon Jeffery and Agholor (17 TD between them), 2 All Pro's and a Pro Bowl on the o-line who all played in that game, and a top 5 defense on the field for that game. Let's stop with the making up shit to fit your argument, @SnakeEyes.

Now, you want to argue "elite" talent, that's fine, but they had a **** ton more talent on that team and playing in that SB than the Texans do right now.

And yeah, I agree that coaching and scheme can overcome some things, even if you don't have "elite" talent, but you've got to have some talent.

I do think Lindsay is talented enough. I just fear they're going to give DJ way too much rope. The o-line has potential to be a lot better simply with just better coaching, and all of that's great. There will be spots where players are going to make plays. This is the NFL. But then you're in QB hell again, and who knows what to expect from the defense. Again, you'll probably have guys that show flashes, but will they be able to keep it consistent? Will they have a pass rush that isn't embarrassing? And who steps up to do that? The guy we've been waiting on for a couple of years, Martin? The guy nicknamed Sack Daddy who has just 20.5 sacks in 5 years? Can this secondary cover anybody and make plays?

When I say no talent, I don't mean there isn't anyone who can't step up, just that there isn't anyone who has to this point in their NFL careers. And there definitely isn't any "elite" talent on either side of the ball, save for the LT.
DJ looked refreshed at the end of last year. Average of 4.7 yards a carry and was a weapon in the pass game. A true missmatch too big for most DBs and to fast for most DL/LBs. And he was not going down with arm tackles towards the end of the year. Lindsey is an 800 or more yard rusher. Don't sleep on Ingram, before an injury last year he is (was) a 1000 yard RB. Unless he gets cut before the season

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The Texans hired a head coach that did not bring his own playbook. Think about that for a minute. He didn't bring in his own OC. Or DC. So, why not keep the same guy as last year? When it doesn't work (and it won't), Caserio can hire another OC.

No one from the Texans organization will admit this season (and maybe the next) is a tank. But, what does this look like? Actions speak louder than words.
They can tank without trying to tank.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Any head coach worth a darn insists on hiring their own coordinators and staff and most want control of the 51 man roster at a minimum. What the Texans have now is a guy, David Culley who is more than willing to make all of Caserio's mistakes. The hiring of Culley is Caserio's BIGGEST blunder in his short time as Texans GM. Then again I seriously doubt that Caserio will be able to hire any head coach with a serious resume and an impressive winning record. The Houston Texans is now a place where head Coaches go to end their careers as head coaches.
Caserio could bring Lombardi out of his grave and this team wouldn't be a playoff contenderand that's with the POS playing QB. Atleast Culley's getting paid.

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club
There are 4 or 5 articles written after the scrimmage that I thought offered real insight into what kind of HC Culley is going to be. I got a good feeling from them. But we'll see.

I think this is overblown. It's just new coach speak. Back in the day it was, "We're going to be balanced." Before then it was, "We're going to run the ball & we're going to stop the run."

We'll have to wait & see before we can figure out what their philosophy is. I mean BO'b said a lot about his offense that we never saw on Sunday.

I think that was more indicative of his inability to plan, implement, or execute at the OC/HC level.
I’ll wait and see, it’s my fear talking.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
DJ looked refreshed at the end of last year. Average of 4.7 yards a carry and was a weapon in the pass game. A true missmatch too big for most DBs and to fast for most DL/LBs. And he was not going down with arm tackles towards the end of the year. Lindsey is an 800 or more yard rusher. Don't sleep on Ingram, before an injury last year he is (was) a 1000 yard RB. Unless he gets cut before the season
I agree there were moments, especially at the end of the season where DJ looked like a player.

I don't know why. Was he finally healthy? Did they finally figure out how to use him? Did our opponents pay him no mind?

Whatever it was, I refuse to go into another season hoping DJ proves our lying eyes wrong again.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
He had a 128 yard game against the Bengals who had a rush defense almost as bad as ours. So yeah, I guess that was a refreshed look compared to what he'd done the entire season.

Dejaview

All Pro
It was a horrible, horrible trade. One of the worst in the history of the game. It didn’t make any sense then and makes just as little sense now. David Johnson is the running back equivalent of a one hit wonder. Maybe two hits. He’s the band Cheap Trick.
Oh yeah. One of the worst in the history of the game. Please give us that history over the history of the NFL and detail why you believe this.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
It was a horrible, horrible trade. One of the worst in the history of the game. It didn’t make any sense then and makes just as little sense now. David Johnson is the running back equivalent of a one hit wonder. Maybe two hits. He’s the band Cheap Trick.
True about the bands.

The McNair's screwed this 1 up, they thought taking trash out of the bathroom would make the trash in the kitchen smell better.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
I agree there were moments, especially at the end of the season where DJ looked like a player.

I don't know why. Was he finally healthy? Did they finally figure out how to use him? Did our opponents pay him no mind?

Whatever it was, I refuse to go into another season hoping DJ proves our lying eyes wrong again.
I think it is they used him correctly. Also being 100% no doubt played a role. 4.7 a carry is pretty good. I think he is going to be the 3rd down RB more. As well as be catching more passes

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I want you to be right, I really do, I want Culley to give a big F you to all the doubters.
So would the inverse be that if Culley sucks it's a big F you to everyone that 'believed' in him? :fingergun:

I get that he's a nice guy, and that's easy to like.

You know who else was a very nice guy? Dom Capers.

I'm more interested in what the team will look like than what Culley has to say. I'm not even talking about wins and losses. There will be losses and plenty of them. Just how the team carries itself and competes for 60 minutes. All we have right now is fluff.
I'm interested to see how the team carries itself when they've got double-digit losses.

Will they still care? Will the players perceive this franchise as a place they see a future?

Or, will they just go through the motions for a paycheck and some game film for their next team?

Building a team is a multi-year process, but the players have to believe that management and coaching is capable of such a thing.

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club
So would the inverse be that if Culley sucks it's a big F you to everyone that 'believed' in him? :fingergun:

I get that he's a nice guy, and that's easy to like.

You know who else was a very nice guy? Dom Capers.
You do have a point.

I really don't think there are that many people who really believe he will do well though, most are probably like me and "hope" he will do well but are in "wait and see mode".

Now there is one that fits your F you scenario and that is Watson! (for a different reason of course)

banned1976

sleeper mode
I said F you to Kelsey Seybold today. Very, very cathartic. Bastards denied my abdominal u/s that my liver transplant team wanted done.

But I digress. F you to the Rock Boys. May we never see that stupid air guitar again.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Heard this on the way to work. Figured I'd see what people think. According to the radio the D looks really good and the OL is impressive. WRs look like we found a stud in Nico. Myself and others felt the same. According to what they have seen so far they said he kinda reminds them of AJ. And while he still has room to learn and improve...he has stood out and shown very good skills. As well as made very good catches and runs crisp routes

If Watson played this season for the Texans. What would the record be?

Texansballer74

The Marine
Heard this on the way to work. Figured I'd see what people think. According to the radio the D looks really good and the OL is impressive. WRs look like we found a stud in Nico. Myself and others felt the same. According to what they have seen so far they said he kinda reminds them of AJ. And while he still has room to learn and improve...he has stood out and shown very good skills. As well as made very good catches and runs crisp routes

If if played I think they could win 10 +.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller

According to the radio we hear things like this every single year. These guys look fast, these guys are pushing people around, this guy is looking like a stud, and every year, once they play against people in a different color jersey, it mostly turns out that they don't really look so good afterall.

Last year John Reid was supposedly turning heads in camp, already looking like a veteran. It turned out he couldn't even get on the field with as horrible as the secondary was.

Texans vs Texans, not really a good indicator of how you're doing. That's why I'm puzzled as to why the Texans, with all of the personnel changes they've made, did not schedule any scrimmages this year. Seems kinda short-sided from this new coaching staff.

But hey, they tried to end training camp 3 weeks early, so no clue what their thinking is.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Remember when we used to blast Bill O'Brien about using the word versatile for his offensive lineman? Here is an article about Howard in which dear David says exactly the same:

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
According to the radio we hear things like this every single year. These guys look fast, these guys are pushing people around, this guy is looking like a stud, and every year, once they play against people in a different color jersey, it mostly turns out that they don't really look so good afterall.

Last year John Reid was supposedly turning heads in camp, already looking like a veteran. It turned out he couldn't even get on the field with as horrible as the secondary was.

Texans vs Texans, not really a good indicator of how you're doing. That's why I'm puzzled as to why the Texans, with all of the personnel changes they've made, did not schedule any scrimmages this year. Seems kinda short-sided from this new coaching staff.

But hey, they tried to end training camp 3 weeks early, so no clue what their thinking is.
I can’t agree more. We hear how good this team is until they aren’t.

The Texans vs Texans is a given. Sucky run offense doesn't test your run defense or vice versa. Sucky pass rush doesn't test your OL or vice versa...it could go on and on a lot of ways. As you mentioned, with new players and an entire new staff, you would think a couple of scrimmages would be mandatory for gauging how the team is doing. But we should know why on all counts: the DW4 fiasco. The Texans are trying their best to avoid DW4 being the most interesting thing about this team as of now. It's not the Houston media they are worried about since they can somewhat control them, it's any potential outside media or anything leaking to the outside media. They're also probably trying to protect the players from being distracted by what comes along with the mess.

badboy

Hall of Fame

0-17

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I'd like to know how involved Culley is on the defensive side of the ball. I'd hate to think we have another offensive coach pretending to be a HC again.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
I'd like to know how involved Culley is on the defensive side of the ball. I'd hate to think we have another offensive coach pretending to be a HC again.
He has been reported to be walking around all areas of the team during practice. Apparently letting the coaches do their job.

Justin Reid was on a podcast the other day and said that Lovie is great to work with and he enjoys the new system (tow the company line perhaps). And coach Culley offers his input at times.

So, while he was an offensive coach for the Ravens. He appears to be letting his staff coach. Then again Justin is not going to say anything bad about the staff. That's just what he mentioned during the podcast.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
If you follow what JJ, Knoll, Lombardi, Landry, etc while winning SB’s…then he’s following the right recipe. HC manages his staff and his staff manages the players. Successful HC’s don’t micromanage, they let their coaches execute the plan.
That’s not the way I read SnakeEyes’ post. He said Culley let the coaches coach while giving pointers to Justin Reid.

I’d rather hear Culley was giving pointers to assistant & position coaches. Not micromanaging, but like you said managing his staff.

Dejaview

All Pro
That’s not the way I read SnakeEyes’ post. He said Culley let the coaches coach while giving pointers to Justin Reid.

I’d rather hear Culley was giving pointers to assistant & position coaches. Not micromanaging, but like you said managing his staff.
Ever see a HC get in the face of a player on the sideline in a game. You can damn sure bet that player is getting advice. What’s the difference? Anyway a former receivers coach could simply be stating how he would attack Reid’s game. Probably good advice.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG

Oh, no I mean he is giving pointers to the position group. Allowing the coaches to coach, but adding a little bit more

Dejaview

All Pro
Great hair.

I miss the 70's elevator shoes and hair.

I used to stay up and watch the Midnight Special with Wolfman Jack, followed by Soul Train with Don Cornelius when I was a kid.
Steel I’ll bet you were proud of those red platform shoes with the goldfish in the heels you must have sported with that light blue leisure suit. Edit. Along with all those mood rings on your fingers and that good pick-up line…” hey baby, what’s your sign”?

Dejaview

All Pro
David Culley, wow I love that guy. NothingonEarth makes me feel better than watching him work. You don’t think being a good man and coach for 25 years doesn’t jerk a tear when you see Brandin Cooks give him the game ball and tell him we love you and you lead and we will follow. Just great stuff. Who gives a **** about anything else in this part of the TURNAROUND.

Last edited: