Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Welcome to Houston David Culley, Head Coach

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
The guys we're talking about; Tim Kelly, Lovie Smith, Josh McKown, they're not in the same league as Lebeau & Johnson & that's where the dysfunction lies. But not on the "foisting" of a coaching staff on a new HC.
I know you like to split hairs. But this is the Texans we are talking about. Your analogies don't work on this dumpster fire.

wildroot

Rookie
We don’t know anything. The people who have sources don’t know anything. But it’s not a stretch to think that the coordinator on the leagues top offense (that Watson mentioned by name) would be higher on his wish list than a 65 year old WR coach.
He was the "passing game coach" and said passing game ranked 32nd in the League.

wildroot

Rookie
While I do not know much about David Culley, despite some early misgivings,I have a good feeling about him and his coaches running our team. I am not psychic so take of it what you will. Still I hope I am right about my good feeling.
So far Caserio is hiring all of his coaches. Odd that he would come in and not be allowed to hire coaches of HIS choice!

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club
lol I posted this exact scenario earlier this morning. Ridiculous! If you want Mc Cown have the stones to hire him outright. I feel bad for Culley, he seems like a good man. It’s too bad he gets a chance to be a HC and he’s presiding over this dumpster fire

So far Caserio is hiring all of his coaches. Odd that he would come in and not be allowed to hire coaches of HIS choice!
Yes wildroot, I read a few more post beyond that and saw that he doesn't even get to hire his own coaches! If true things are even worse than I originally thought. In Easterby I trust! Not

Last edited:

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Culley is super nice, old school who grew up in segregated small town Tennessee. Built a little bit of a bond with Watson at Pro Bowl and that's why they're hiring him. They're going to force him to say no to the only black coach hire in the league, a guy who rightfully should have been elevated more than he was. And say no to Tim Kelly, who he asked for. Culley is not a command-the-room speaker, more like RAC.

The hire after Culley will be Caserio's first without a lot of intervening from above regardless of what he'll say. Watson really handcuffed them.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
lol I posted this exact scenario earlier this morning. Ridiculous! If you want Mc Cown have the stones to hire him outright. I feel bad for Culley, he seems like a good man. It’s too bad he gets a chance to be a HC and he’s presiding over this dumpster fire
Can't feel bad for him. He's been in the league 27 years and is finally going to be making HC mula, thanks to the Texans culture. Good retirement money. Sure, it sucks that he's in the middle of this shitshow and likely won't come out of it looking any better than Bo Porter did with the Astros, but, eh, he'll be retiring soon and he's got bank.

I want to disown our Texans but I just can't do that just yet. For me it won't be about losing next season because I don't really foresee us getting many wins, but it will be based on how competitive the team is and seeing progress as the season goes along.

I feel really bad about David Culley waiting for 27 years to get his chance to be a head coach and he gets this cluster **** of an organization to have that job.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
9 times out of 10 these “plans” don’t go as hoped. Remember we were going to groom Kyle Shanahan, then Mike Vrabel?

And as an aside, think about this, Josh McCown (signed through next season) will earn $1.4M as a backup QB. The job of QB coach doesn’t pay a third of that.

nut

Veteran
Could he be a sacrificial lamb for Cal and the Easter Bunny? Every one of the potentials has guys coming out of the woodwork saying they are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
And I'll tell you one thing further. I hope Culley comes in and works to establish a proper culture and attitude, and I hope that he makes strides and builds the foundation. And since he's already 65, I can easily envision them setting McCown to take over for him in the future once he decides to retire.
I think it is the plan to be honest.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Could he be a sacrificial lamb for Cal and the Easter Bunny? Every one of the potentials has guys coming out of the woodwork saying they are the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Culley coached Watson at the senior bowl and Watson thought he was great.

That is likely what Cal is thinking. And for whatever reason he didn't go EB.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
By all accounts a stand up guy and good leader players buy into. He doesn't have the pedigre for a hc position but won't need it if his oc/dc perform well enough. Just steer the ship.

The cynical side of me thinks the Texans got a guy who couldn't say no to the opportunity while people like Bieniemy wanted more control. And it's very likely NC and JE deliberately picked someone they'd have control/influence over...

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
By all accounts a stand up guy and good leader players buy into. He doesn't have the pedigre for a hc position but won't need it if his oc/dc perform well enough. Just steer the ship.

The cynical side of me thinks the Texans got a guy who couldn't say no to the opportunity while people like Bieniemy wanted more control. And it's very likely NC and JE deliberately picked someone they'd have control/influence over...

I think I found out what the situation is. Watch this

nut

Veteran
Press conference will be on the Texans website. Really a bad look Cal will not be there. He must have some very pressing duties at that time. He is obviously a very brave man.