Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Welcome Home, DeMeco Ryans

Surprised more people aren't feeling at least a little better about the McNairs. Seems like the dysfunction of the last 3 years can mostly be traced back to trusting the wrong people for a couple of years during a tough period in the McNair family. Decisions of the last 6 months seem a lot more promising.

Surprised more people aren't feeling at least a little better about the McNairs. Seems like the dysfunction of the last 3 years can mostly be traced back to trusting the wrong people for a couple of years during a tough period in the McNair family. Decisions of the last 6 months seem a lot more promising.
Problem is.... did they learn or are they still a blind squirrel that found a nut? I sure don't want the next wrong person to get in their ear again.

I like most of what I've seen but the pessimist in me still says they somehow still got it wrong... until there is proof they got it right.

After all, I'm an idiot and sometimes when I agree with something it should be cause for concern.

I don’t see Cal and his siblings giving up those easy billions. They’re not crazy.
Well, you can get $2 Billion upfront right now or continue to get $10 million a year. What would you want for your family and children?

I’m with you…things seem decidedly different this time around.

Actually, It seems Hannah McNair is the change. Hannah has become Cal's right hand gal. See is acting like a chief of staff and It is noticeable that the Texans disfunction has disappeared. I bet we eventually find out that she is the one that made the call on Easterby's exit.

Actually, It seems Hannah McNair is the change. Hannah has become Cal's right hand gal. See is acting like a chief of staff and It is noticeable that the Texans disfunction has disappeared. I bet we eventually find out that she is the one that made the call on Easterby's exit.
The rumor on the streets is that Lovie is the reason the Easter bunny is gone but agree that Hannah may be the secret sauce.

I am not even that kind of negative poster or anything, but really the Texans are just making solid, responsible moves that should be expected. i would like to see that continue through the entire off-season before I think it is truly different.

Well, you can get $2 Billion upfront right now or continue to get $10 million a year. What would you want for your family and children?
It’s more than 10 million a year. In 2021 the revenue was half a billion a year.
F23F1F4F-EC86-410B-A306-9D6B7EFF4B6D.png

It’s more than 10 million a year. In 2021 the revenue was half a billion a year.
View attachment 11615
Just a little curious, how much cash will the McNairs have to come up with, just a rough guess, to give to the government, when they inherent. Let's place the value of the team at $5B. Can anyone make a serious guess.

Just a little curious, how much cash will the McNairs have to come up with, just a rough guess, to give to the government, when they inherent. Let's place the value of the team at $5B. Can anyone make a serious guess.

Texas does not have inheritance tax. Federal estate taxes ranges are 20-40%.

Just as an add on, my mom had an old family friend who had inherited her families farm which had been in her family for several generations. She had to sell, broke her heart, but she didn't have any way to pay the government.

Well if your saying its between government and the McNairs to run the Texans.

I have to say we should start a go fund me to keep the McNairs. The Texans have failed to do very much of value since their inception. The same can be said about government, but the government has a much, much longer track record of uselessness and failure.

With the McNairs bad decisions are a bad habit. With government its tradition.

View attachment 11615
That is GROSS revenues, now do net income. (Here is a hint, it is probably close to 10% - 12% of revenues, Texans probably less because they are paying 3 HC salaries)

Glad we have Demeco. Gannon’s defense got completely exposed.
Kelce took apart every defense this year. Gannon , like every other DC, tried something to stop him in the second half and like every other DC, when you defense Kelce, you open up other receivers for Mahomes to throw to.

This really has absolutely nothing to do with Sean Payton and everything to do with the Houston Texans ownership and management. Any Zoom call will tell you that.

Payton never had a chance at the job after they interviewed DeMeco. By Zoom.

Texans were just playing the game but they knew who they wanted all along. And DeMeco knew who he wanted to work for, too.

Still, nobody cares about Sean Payton in the Texans fan base.

If Caserio let these people push him around, then that's on him. He's paid $6 million a year to run football ops. You're either the bear or the guy eaten by the bear. Nick is no bear.

I'll fetch your coffee for $6 million/year.

I have no idea of the power dynamics in the Texans front office. Unlike so many other posters, I don't even pretend to be Miss Cleo and act (<---key word) like I know what's going on behind closed doors.

I judge a tree by it's fruit. At this point, the tree is still growing. I'm not going to judge it by the manure the farmer put at its roots.

Exactly. How well he serves Coach Ryans will determine Caserio's future here.

As it should always be with a GM and HC.

The Texans only became a toxic, garbage franchise once they began trying to emulate New England.

Before that we were just fine. Classy, did things respectfully and properly, kept things in house, squashed all dramas, had high character players for the most part, etc.

As opposed to New England, who has been embroiled in various instances of scumbaggery for the last I don't even know how long.

lol You act like the Texans were anything before now. They were always meddling owners, making marketing decisions that impacted football operations. David Carr over Peppers in the beginning. Hired Ed Reed behind coaches backs and spewed BS about the locker room chemistry, which ended up blowing up in their faces. Walking into a room of professional football players, mostly black, and whining about the new black president. This franchise had it's own toxins to deal with. O'Brien and Easterby were just continuations of their dumbass decisions.

At least NE achieved something. Texans get to brag about winning a 4 team crap division more than once.

Such bs..
What kind of person are you to call bs on something you know absolutely nothing about.

True story. The farm was just a small family farm of a few hundred acres, located in a county adjacent to Harris County and inherited by my mom's long time friend who was a school teacher, as was my mom. She had no intention of running the property as a farm but wanted to keep it and the old family home in the family. She couldn't afford to pay the taxes and had to sell.

What kind of person are you to call bs on something you know absolutely nothing about.

True story. The farm was just a small family farm of a few hundred acres, located in a county adjacent to Harris County and inherited by my mom's long time friend who was a school teacher, as was my mom. She had no intention of running the property as a farm but wanted to keep it and the old family home in the family. She couldn't afford to pay the taxes and had to sell.
Im not them, but I took it to mean the government taxation is BS, not the story.... I could be way off though.

The brightside is, with the cost of dying and taxes out the wazoo no matter what.... I'm too broke to die.... so Im clearly gonna live forever by government mandate.

Im not them, but I took it to mean the government taxation is BS, not the story.... I could be way off though.

The brightside is, with the cost of dying and taxes out the wazoo no matter what.... I'm too broke to die.... so Im clearly gonna live forever by government mandate.
You are correct.. I should have expounded. My comment was directed to the government taxation part of it only..

I was only referring to the government taxation. Sorry if you took it otherwise..

Kelce took apart every defense this year. Gannon , like every other DC, tried something to stop him in the second half and like every other DC, when you defense Kelce, you open up other receivers for Mahomes to throw to.
Except Kelce wasn’t the only one doing something. Guys were WIDE open on 3rd down all game for the chiefs. That had not as much to do with Kelce. Philly defenders lost their guy a lot. Then you have Gannon calling an all out blitz in the red zone lol

SPORTING NEWS
NFL head coach hiring rankings: Texans on top with DeMeco Ryans, Panthers disappoint with Frank Reich
Joe Rivera
6 hours ago•7 min read

Age is no guarantee of efficiency, and youth is no guarantee of innovation.

Hiring an NFL head coach isn't an easy task. There is so much gray area surrounding coaches: Does an organization want an expert tactician to call plays, or do they want a CEO-type who oversees the entire operation? Do they go with a retread in hopes that a new environment will breed success, or do they want to take a swing on the next big thing?

This head coaching cycle has seen a mix of all of those philosophies, with all five jobs now filled entering the offseason. The Panthers (Frank Reich) and the Broncos (Sean Payton) went with the proven commodities, while the Colts (Shane Steichen), Cardinals (Jonathan Gannon) and Texans (DeMeco Ryans) all hired first-time coaches.

While hiring a Super Bowl-winning coach is an overall positive, that's no promise that the success will follow them to the next stop. And as we've seen through the years, hiring the hotshot coordinator isn't a lock that the momentum rolls into the coach's office.

While there's been no outwardly bad hires — no one knows anything, anyway — some have been better than others. Here's how they rank:

5. Frank Reich, Panthers
Prior job: Indianapolis Colts head coach (2018-22)

Retreads are hardly exciting. That's not to say that Reich is a bad hire, but he's certainly the least enticing of the bunch.
Reich dealt with a QB carousel in Indianapolis, with a new starting quarterback in every season at the helm. To Reich's credit, they oftentimes got average to decent QB play out of their starters, but the Panthers are going to have to figure out their long-term situation as to not run a repeat of what happened in Indy.

Also adding to the blah hire is that Reich will have a hill to climb in replacing Steve Wilks, who was beloved in the Panthers locker room, with some believing he should have gotten the full-time job. Wilks helped the Panthers to a 6-6 record, after the team looked lifeless early in the season.

If the Panthers stumble out of the gate, then expect Panthers Twitter to respond in a wholly rational and responsible way.

4. Jonathan Gannon, Cardinals
Prior job: Philadelphia Eagles defensive coordinator (2021-22)
Jonathan Gannon has been something of a hot coaching commodity since the 2022 cycle. He interviewed with the Texans last year, but ultimately returned to the Eagles and helped build a stellar defense in Philadelphia.

To that end, some felt that the Eagles defense was little more than smoke and mirrors, which seems a bit unfair. They led the league in sacks, though they showcased some obvious warts that were covered up by the offense throughout the 2022 season.

The timing is bittersweet for Gannon. Coming off a Super Bowl 57 loss in which the Eagles D gave up 38 points in a collapse against the Chiefs, it's nice to rebound and get a head coaching job.

The truth is, because of the Kyler Murray injury and unclear recovery timeline, there was no real slam-dunk hire for the Cardinals. At least they're taking a swing on an unknown quantity rather than a retread.

3. Shane Steichen, Colts
Prior job: Philadelphia Eagles offensive coordinator (2021-22)

The Colts go back to the well for their next head coach hire.

There's some interesting back and forth between Indianapolis and Philadelphia happening: The Colts hired Frank Reich, who was the OC in Philly under Doug Pederson. Then, the Eagles hired Nick Sirianni, who was the OC under Reich in Indy. Now, the Colts hired Steichen, who was the OC under Sirianni in Philadelphia.

So, whoever Steichen's OC is will be the next boss in Philadelphia, if the trend continues.

While Sirianni was the architect and playcaller for the Eagles offense, Steichen deserves a fair amount of credit for getting the most out of Jalen Hurts and making sure the pieces all fit together, as coordinators usually do. To be fair to Jim Irsay, he has made a habit of hiring pretty good head coaches, Jeff Saturday notwithstanding.

2. Sean Payton, Broncos
Prior job: New Orleans Saints head coach (2006-2021)

Sean Payton wasn't the Broncos' first option, nor was he their second option, but he's as good a third No. 1 option as there is on the market.

With DeMeco Ryans and Jim Harbaugh reportedly ahead of Payton on the Denver wish list, Payton heads to Mile High to join up with another backup option, Russell Wilson, who will need a career revitalization underneath Payton. If you're going to go big with the QB trade like the Broncos did in 2022, then hiring a big-name coach to get the most out of said QB is only wise.

The Broncos had better hope that Payton is the right man for the job. Trading away picks for a head coach is something of a risky proposition, but it's one that has traditionally worked out. Of the seven prior times a team has traded picks for a head coach, four times has that head coach won a Super Bowl with the acquiring team.

— Don Shula was traded from the Colts to the Dolphins in 1970, and that went well for everybody;
— Bruce Arians was traded from the Cardinals to the Buccaneers for a sixth-round pick and won Super Bowl 55;
— Jon Gruden was traded from the Raiders to the Buccaneers, who won Super Bowl 37 over the Raiders;
— Bill Belichick won six Super Bowls after he was traded from the Jets to the Patriots.

The others were significantly less fortunate: Bill Parcells to the Jets, Mike Holmgren to the Seahawks and Herm Edwards to the Chiefs. (Also, why are the Jets seemingly always involved in these things?)

The Broncos will hope that Payton finds similar successes to other coaches who have been traded, but it'll take some history to make it worth it: No head coach has ever won a Super Bowl with two separate organizations. Payton will have to be the first to make good on the trade.

1. DeMeco Ryans, Texans
Prior job: San Francisco 49ers defensive coordinator (2021-22)

It's always good to be a team that lands its first option, and it's good for that first option to love the team right back. The Broncos were hot after DeMeco Ryans, but Ryans wanted the Texans, which is saying something about the state of both organizations.

The Texans are a pretty clean-slate job, and they were one of the more enticing landing spots this offseason because of their ample draft capital and cap space. They also have a massive hole at QB to fix, which may be solved in free agency or the draft.

While it's intangible, Ryans just feels like he's going to be a slam-dunk head coach hire. His players love him and Kyle Shanahan has done an excellent job surrounding himself with top coaching talent through the years.

I’m very concerned, given the overall HT pool of talent to trade up in this draft.

Both of the top draftable QBs have obvious talent. The coaching staff has multiple QB whisperers who should be able to maximize what said QBs can do and the likely offensive system is QB friendly. Additionally there’s talent and resources in place to provide offensive skill players.

So, is it necessary/ most important to move up one spot for QB? Trading picks means getting fewer support additions

I’m posting this here because I want this to appear in a coaches POV thread

2. DeMeco Ryans: Houston Texans
Ryans was the top candidate on a lot of teams’ boards, and knocked his offensive coordinator hire out of the park, as well, bringing along Bobby Slowik from San Francisco. Like Steichen, he’s going to have the presence as well as the association with coaches who run a great scheme. The 49ers’ pipeline is strong and has already birthed the likes of Mike McDaniel in Miami.

Ryans’s ties to the organization are also a huge bonus. Right now, the Texans, after being run for a time by a former character coach, are completely and totally without an identity. After a teardown, they are thin on star power and have one of the worst rosters, top to bottom, in the NFL. Ryans will fill that gap and will be an immediate draw for free agents, especially on the defensive side of the ball. His presence alone could help Houston weather the remainder of this post–Deshaun Watson rebuild.

5. Sean Payton: Denver Broncos
O.K. Breathe, people. Here’s a chance for you to screenshot this now and send it to Old Takes Exposed. I’ll give it a minute. I think Payton is great. I just don’t think this is the setup for him. This job is going to be hard. If he doesn’t max out Russell Wilson this year, he’s back in a veteran quarterback pool that may end up less appetizing than the one we’re currently sifting through. Payton also didn’t get to keep Evero, who, again, makes this job seriously appetizing under different circumstances.

Payton’s defense isn’t going to be as good as the one he had in New Orleans. His suite of offensive skill-position players in Denver is going to be worse. The offensive lines will be somewhat comparable. I’m not saying he’s going to be bad, but by the time the Broncos dig out of the draft-capital-spending spree it took to acquire both Payton and Wilson, who knows what they’re going to look like? Plus, they’re in an ultra-competitive division with elite QB play everywhere. If this is Mike McCarthy Part II at best, was it worth it?

It would be cool Chili Palmer but I still want a Qb by day two of draft.
Why? There's always next year and the Texans have way too many holes to use a high value pick on a question mark. If they're absolutely in love with a QB, go ahead and pick him day one, regardless of where the talking heads think he should be picked (I highly doubt any NFL GM pays any attention to mock drafts outside of their own organization. Mike Mayock, as the Raiders GM, should show how bad of an idea that is). If not, fill other holes and look towards next year and see how Mills can do under Slowick in 2023. It's not like the Texans are a QB away from being a contender. Fix the trenches and then go after skill positions.

Why? There's always next year and the Texans have way too many holes to use a high value pick on a question mark. If they're absolutely in love with a QB, go ahead and pick him day one, regardless of where the talking heads think he should be picked (I highly doubt any NFL GM pays any attention to mock drafts outside of their own organization. Mike Mayock, as the Raiders GM, should show how bad of an idea that is). If not, fill other holes and look towards next year and see how Mills can do under Slowick in 2023. It's not like the Texans are a QB away from being a contender. Fix the trenches and then go after skill positions.
Because I do not think a quarterback will be available for us in 2024.

Because I do not think a quarterback will be available for us in 2024.
Are they going to keep QBs from being in the draft next year? Do you think the Texans are going to be a playoff team this year? I'm not against the Texans drafting a QB at 1.2 this year, as long as they believe that QB will be the franchise QB of the future. The Texans can't blow top 3 draft picks two years in a row.

I would try to trade down in this yrs draft for another 2024 1st.

With three 1sts in 2024 you could easily move up 5 or 6 slots from say 10-12 to draft one of the 3-4 QB's that I like better than any QB in this draft.
You could also offer your first for the next year as well. 4 firsts with three in the draft you're in would get you to #3 at least.
Trouble is, the higher up the draft order you go, the more desperate for a QB those teams will be and they just may refuse outright to trade with you.
And four firsts is pretty expensive for an unproven candidate.

Last edited:
Back