Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Week 9 @ the Fish

The ability to draft supremely talented guys at the top of each rd or win 3-4 meaningless games?
I want to address this again. If we were talking about the NBA Draft I’d lean more towards this line of thinking. There are only a handful of game changers in the NBA draft.

but in the NFL draft it’s not uncommon for the best player in the draft to be drafted outside the top 5 in every round

I want to address this again. If we were talking about the NBA Draft I’d lean more towards this line of thinking. There are only a handful of game changers in the NBA draft.

but in the NFL draft it’s not uncommon for the best player in the draft to be drafted outside the top 5 in every round

Agreed. Whether a draft pick pans out or not in the NFL has more to do with coaching and scheme than NBA or MLB.

Look how many top picks the Jags and Browns have ruined over the years. Those players were talented enough to be consensus top 10 type players coming into the draft. Sure some were busts… but I bet more would have been successful had they been picked up by the right team.

Look how many top picks the Jags and Browns have ruined over the years.
not just them, but almost every team that drafts at the top year after year. The Jets, the Lions, the Dolphins.

It’s rare that a team breaks out of that cycle, but when they do (Rams, Chargers, Bills) it’s not the top draft pick that changes the fortunes of the franchise, but the franchise stacking good decision on top of good decision.

Of course, if I had to choose, I want the high draft pick & the good decisions. I’m just saying aiming at the highest pick possible is not a good decision.

If we end up with the #3 overall fine. If we end up with the 7th overall, fine.

Good hit by Greenard. Let’s watch Tyrod save Tim Kelly’s arse now, and with that hurt our draft position, sigh…

Agreed. Whether a draft pick pans out or not in the NFL has more to do with coaching and scheme than NBA or MLB.

Look how many top picks the Jags and Browns have ruined over the years. Those players were talented enough to be consensus top 10 type players coming into the draft. Sure some were busts… but I bet more would have been successful had they been picked up by the right team.
So with the current coaching staff, do you think they have the ability to install scheme and coach up marginal talent?

A winning team is easier to rebuild than a losing team. Plain & simple. If there was a clear cut #1 overall QB prospect, though, I'd be thinking differently.
I disagree. You’re in luck though, Brissett doesn’t want to give up that #1 either!

Back