Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Week 7 @ Arizona

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Mahomes was directly responsible for the Titans being up 27-0 at the half. Not sure you can put any of these on the rest of the team.

1. His fumble on 3rd down on their opening drive resulting in a punt

2. His is INT on their third drive that led to a TD when he threw it directly at Evans who had a defender in his hip pocket

3. His fumble on their fourth drive where he didn't slide after already getting the 1st down that lead to a FG
Like I asked before, what's made his play fall off?

I would still take him on my team any day.

The Chiefs inspite of how they looked yesterday are just a couple of plays away from being 4-2. I'm beginning to think the Titans may be a really good team that's improving every week. Look at Buffalo/K.C. in the last 2 weeks, it's pretty impressive.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
At one point in the game (listening on the radio) the commentator said Mills had so much pressure he could only receive the snap and immediately throw to a predetermined receiver. No time for reads. Receive the snap and throw.
I saw the same thing on the YouTube condensed version of the game. He had little to no time to go thru progressions. He looked like he was in a Hot Pocket versus a NFL offensive pocket.

sandman

Brexit Advisor
Like I asked before, what's made his play fall off?

I would still take him on my team any day.

The Chiefs inspite of how they looked yesterday are just a couple of plays away from being 4-2. I'm beginning to think the Titans may be a really good team that's improving every week. Look at Buffalo/K.C. in the last 2 weeks, it's pretty impressive.
And the Dolphins at 1-6 have lost three games on last second FGs as time expired or in OT. Which also makes them a couple of plays away from being 4-2.

OptimisticTexan

I kept saying that Mills should have stayed at Stanford another year but you guys keep hoping that he'll show good improvement.

Then comes the excuses with the offensive line and the running game.

Sure, they're not on par, but Mills brought plenty unto himself.

The strip sack, for example, was another example of how his piss-poor ball fake hurts him.
Nobody bought it.

The RILB, had he bought a little bit of the fake, would have charged the LOS harder, inadvertly blocking his own man (who was on 13 Cooks). That would have given Mills an easy target across the middle.

34 didn't charge toward the line; he immediately dropped back to cover the RB, taking away another easy outlet.

It was first and ten; the Cardinals only came with a run blitz; they didn't have the intention of blitzing the passer.
A poor ball fake tells the defenders to get onto the QB right away, instead having to think about the RB.

I guarantee you that with a veteran QB like TT, the game will be different.
Well shite…..isn’t that what the Texans pay their QB Coaches to do……coach the young man up? They just didn’t put the focus on him since Taylor was obviously -in their book- going to start for the entire season.

Duck all that BS about folks using the obvious short-comings of the offensive game plan, OL, lack of RB’s, never using the TE’s or SWR. I can see these shortcomings even on condensed versions of the game…..so, if I use them it’s b/c they exist not b/c I made up an excuse to cover for Mills. Open your eyes versus wearing blinders so you can observe the whole game versus looking for the plays that could help justify your narrative. I see a very raw QB who has the skills to build upon….the rest is up to the Texans.

Last edited:

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Well shite…..isn’t that what the Texans pay their QB Coaches to do……coach the young man up? They just didn’t put the focus on him since Taylor was obviously -in their book- going to start for the entire season.

Duck all that BS about folks using the obvious short-comings of the offensive game plan, OL, lack of RB’s, never using the TE’s or SWR. I can see these shortcomings even on condensed versions of the game…..so, if I use them it’s b/c they exist not b/c I made up an excuse to cover for Mills. Open your eyes versus wearing binders so you can observe the whole game versus looking for the plays that could help justify your narrative. I see a very raw QB who has the skills to build upon….the rest is up to the Texans.
I don't need any play to help my narrative.

Mills have never shown any trait of a possible top ten NFL QB; this is an opinion shared by many on this board and several draft sites.
That's why he was a third round draft pick.

sandman

Brexit Advisor
Also, the impact of trying to make plays to overcome a terrible defense.

To clarify, they are 31st in Turnover Margin at -10. They are 17th in takeaways with 7.

The offense is leading the league by a long ways with 17 giveaways (next closest is 12) with Mahomes having 12 of them (had 10 all last season).

This defense last year was middle third of the league across most categories. What impact does an offense that has turned the ball over more times in 7 games than all of last season have on their performance? The D is giving less than a TD more this year than last year, while the offense is averaging 2.5 turnovers a game.

Correlation does equal causation sometimes.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

Mills have never shown any trait of a possible top ten NFL QB; this is an opinion shared by many on this board and several draft sites.
I think we all agree with you that Mills wasn’t/isn’t ready. A few of us even argued he shouldn’t play at all this season.

Hoping the Texans saw something we didn’t to draft him in the third round. Hoping Pep & Shaw have some back door communication or something.

Hoping they’re seeing something in practice we didn’t see in the preseason while acknowledging he’s still better than Driskel.

I know we got a little excited about his stats vs the other rookies. But I’m now seeing at least they are moving the ball.

I’m no more soured on Mills today than I was three weeks ago. He’s not a starting caliber NFL QB. I don’t know that he never will be.

OptimisticTexan

……that’s why he was a RD3 QB in 2021. Most of those same analyst considered him a RD1 QB in 2022 had he stayed and played another season at Stanford.

You go ahead and keep your eyes closed tight enough and you won’t see shite. I’ve seen enough sporadic plays by this developmental QB to know he’s got the necessary traits to work with. You go ahead and run with your narrative and I’ll stick with mine.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Name the names of the posters that said he had the traits to be a top ten NFL QB.
Did I say that any poster ever claimed that?
No, I didn't.

I always said that since he doesn't have those traits, I prefer that the Texans find another prospect that does.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I think we all agree with you that Mills wasn’t/isn’t ready. A few of us even argued he shouldn’t play at all this season.

Hoping the Texans saw something we didn’t to draft him in the third round. Hoping Pep & Shaw have some back door communication or something.

Hoping they’re seeing something in practice we didn’t see in the preseason while acknowledging he’s still better than Driskel.

I know we got a little excited about his stats vs the other rookies. But I’m now seeing at least they are moving the ball.

I’m no more soured on Mills today than I was three weeks ago. He’s not a starting caliber NFL QB. I don’t know that he never will be.
You call 160 yards total offense as moving the ball? :) :brando:

76Texan

Hall of Fame
……that’s why he was a RD3 QB in 2021. Most of those same analyst considered him a RD1 QB in 2022 had he stayed and played another season at Stanford.

You go ahead and keep your eyes closed tight enough and you won’t see shite. I’ve seen enough sporadic plays by this developmental QB to know he’s got the necessary traits to work with. You go ahead and run with your narrative and I’ll stick with mine.
You're kinda conflicting in that you don't want to draft a guy unless he shows to be "the real thing", yet you're hoping that Mills will turn out to be one.

And you tell me to take off the blinders? :)

OptimisticTexan

You call 160 yards total offense as moving the ball? :) :brando:
If the QB1 can carry an entire team solely on their shoulders…..then why is that Mahomes is suddenly having a horrendous season? For starters, they exchanged most of their OL personnel and the new OL just aren’t getting the job done. With that, the running game is nothing compared to past seasons either. Now their defense is on the field longer and playing on a short field more often but damn those excuses……Mahomes sucks and the Chiefs need to move on as soon as possible.

I’ll trust that Veach and Reid will get this weakness squared away and give Mahomes the proper pieces he needs to be successful.

Texansballer74

The Marine
I kept saying that Mills should have stayed at Stanford another year but you guys keep hoping that he'll show good improvement.

Then comes the excuses with the offensive line and the running game.

Sure, they're not on par, but Mills brought plenty unto himself.

The strip sack, for example, was another example of how his piss-poor ball fake hurts him.
Nobody bought it.

The RILB, had he bought a little bit of the fake, would have charged the LOS harder, inadvertly blocking his own man (who was on 13 Cooks). That would have given Mills an easy target across the middle.

34 didn't charge toward the line; he immediately dropped back to cover the RB, taking away another easy outlet.

It was first and ten; the Cardinals only came with a run blitz; they didn't have the intention of blitzing the passer.
A poor ball fake tells the defenders to get onto the QB right away, instead having to think about the RB.

I guarantee you that with a veteran QB like TT, the game will be different.
Carson Wentz on yesterday performed some of the greatest ball fakes through out that entire game last night. Simply magnificent I tell you. Had everyone fooled, especially the 49ers defense. Mills has a lot of work to do in that department. Watson wasn’t that good with them either.

Last edited:

OptimisticTexan

You're kinda conflicting in that you don't want to draft a guy unless he shows to be "the real thing", yet you're hoping that Mills will turn out to be one.

And you tell me to take off the blinders? :)
My argument for Mills is the same argument I had for Watson and every QB the Texans have drafted. They’ve never built the team in the proper order for any QB with this organization to have a chance of any real success. Schuab was the closet this team ever got and it almost worked.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
If the QB1 can carry an entire team solely on their shoulders…..then why is that Mahomes is suddenly having a horrendous season? For starters, they exchanged most of their OL personnel and the new OL just aren’t getting the job done. With that, the running game is nothing compared to past seasons either. Now their defense is on the field longer and playing on a short field more often but damn those excuses……Mahomes sucks and the Chiefs need to move on as soon as possible.

I’ll trust that Veach and Reid will get this weakness squared away and give Mahomes the proper pieces he needs to be successful.
The Chiefs had twice the yardage the Texans tallied in the last game.

For the season, they're third.
Now, that is moving the ball, even with a bad defense (27th in points and 28th in yards).

OptimisticTexan

Carson Wentz on yesterday performed some of the greatest ball fakes though out that entire game last night. Simply magnificent I tell you. Had everyone fooled, especially the 49ers defense. Mills has a lot of work to do in that department. Watson wasn’t that good with them either.
Carson Wentz has an OL and RB, Jonathan Taylor…..which really sales the play-action. Mills needs to get a lot of work on the play-action but that’s going to require an OL and a running game to sale it……otherwise he’ll get killed trying to execute those plays b/c the defensive push is seriously overwhelming.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
My argument for Mills is the same argument I had for Watson and every QB the Texans have drafted. They’ve never built the team in the proper order for any QB with this organization to have a chance of any real success. Schuab was the closet this team ever got and it almost worked.
Well, that was why I'd rather they took Jalen Mayfield in the third round.
He needed a few games to make the transition from OT to OG; now he's performing well enough for the Falcons offense to operate adequately in the last 3 games, including 2 wins (and a 3-3 overall record that surprises many people.)

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
In this case, they used the two high draft picks in Howard & Scharping, Tunsil (3 high draft picks), & two proven players coming off injury Britt & Canon, then 4 recent pro bowl RBs (stretching “recent” for DJ).

They had, imo, every reason to believe they would be able to protect their QB (who was Tyrod when the season started).

Texansballer74

The Marine
Carson Wentz has an OL and RB, Jonathan Taylor…..which really sales the play-action. Mills needs to get a lot of work on the play-action but that’s going to require an OL and a running game to sale it……otherwise he’ll get killed trying to execute those plays b/c the defensive push is seriously overwhelming.
I’m talking about the execution of the entire process of the fake. Mills isn’t properly selling it. A lot of times it looks like him and the running backs aren’t on the same page. Sometimes it looks like a busted play. A lot can attribute to that, like coaching, inexperience and like you said a terrible running game, offensive line. Crazy thing, when we had Taylor out there, we finally seen them execute a proper screen.

Last edited:

Texansballer74

The Marine
In this case, they used the two high draft picks in Howard & Scharping, Tunsil (3 high draft picks), & two proven players coming off injury Britt & Canon, then 4 recent pro bowl RBs (stretching “recent” for DJ).

They had, imo, every reason to believe they would be able to protect their QB (who was Tyrod when the season started).
And to this point they were actually doing a better job with Taylor. Even though it was a short sample size. They did like you said, show some hope/potential.

sandman

Brexit Advisor
Did I say that any poster ever claimed that?
No, I didn't.

I always said that since he doesn't have those traits, I prefer that the Texans find another prospect that does.
Why would you state that you and several others on here along with the professional pundits never considered him an NFL top ten QB, when no one claimed that he is or could be one? It's like you try to make up things to be right about.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Why would you state that you and several others on here along with the professional pundits never considered him an NFL top ten QB, when no one claimed that he is or could be one? It's like you try to make up things to be right about.
Who cares about being right?

I simply prefer a prospect with a higher upside.

What part of it do you not understand?

OptimisticTexan

Well, that was why I'd rather they took Jalen Mayfield in the third round.
He needed a few games to make the transition from OT to OG; now he's performing well enough for the Falcons offense to operate adequately in the last 3 games, including 2 wins (and a 3-3 overall record that surprises many people.)
Hindsight being 20/20…..I never had Mills in any of my Mock Drafts. I wanted OL personnel. So the Texans drafted Mills and instead of throwing a fit b/c Caserio didn’t pick according to my desires….I decided to look at Mills to try and figure out what made him attractive. I liked what was written and what I saw on his highlight reels.

Somewhat important, how many analyst had him rated as a potential RD1 QB in 2022 had he stayed for another season. As for why he left early….blame CA politicians who still had full control over whether the PAC-10 was guaranteed a 2021 season. I think Mills decided to gain a season in the NFL versus playing the unsure game of what was offered by the PAC-10. I just don’t think anyone thought Taylor was only going to make 1.5 games before hitting the sidelines with a 5.5 week injury.

I also mentioned that Mills going to the sideline when Taylor was ready to play would optimize his development. Now, I’m not sure b/c I was hoping that’s Taylor could show enough that another GM would decide they need him down the stretch which could return the Texans a pick or two. I don’t think Taylor would be ready before the deadline which means the Texans will hold him for the season and then he’ll leave for greener pastures next season should that option present itself.

It’s a shame that Taylor’s injuries have simply derailed his career and put him in bad situations where he’s become the modern day Steve DeBerg.

Last edited:

OptimisticTexan

Who cares about being right?

I simply prefer a prospect with a higher upside.

What part of it do you not understand?
…..just curious, how do you think any of the 2021 RD1 QB draftees would perform if in the same shoes as Mills? No 1st team preparation until their first action came in the 2nd half of the teams 2nd game. Not to mention limited practices since that time. So, if you would like, which QB drafted in RD1 of the 2021 draft would’ve done a better job?

By the way…..this is the same argument I presented regarding the Watson / Mahomes debate. You know, that answer is finally presenting itself b/c for the first time Mahomes is facing some of the same obstacles that Watson faced since arriving in Houston. Watson hasn’t enjoyed Mahomes situation with the Chiefs at any time in his NFL career. Personally, if that day ever arrives I think Watson still has the talent to deliver a big season.

In my book, Mills was drafted to soon and 2022 would not be the season to invest in a RD1 or RD2 QB. So, if a RD3 or later QB was drafted wouldn’t that essentially be doubling down on the Mills pick? Texans need every pick they can get their hands on so they can start the rebuild in earnest along the OL, defensive backfield, and running game.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Now Mahomes understands what Watson was going through. Having a lousy OL does impact even the best QB’s. I’m sure KC and Reid will make this a priority fix in the off-season.
Apples and Oranges situation

This is just a way for Derrick's stinky finger posters to try to say he's as good as Mahomes. Mahomes has had a couple of bad weeks. He's just a couple of plays away from being 4-2. If Derrick accomplishes what Mahomes has already accomplished then he will have had a successful career. QB's on their 2nd contract struggle. it's not a coincidence.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Duck all that BS about folks using the obvious short-comings of the offensive game plan, OL, lack of RB’s, never using the TE’s or SWR. I can see these shortcomings even on condensed versions of the game…..so, if I use them it’s b/c they exist not b/c I made up an excuse to cover for Mills. Open your eyes versus wearing blinders so you can observe the whole game versus looking for the plays that could help justify your narrative. I see a very raw QB who has the skills to build upon….the rest is up to the Texans.
Yep, this offense looks like a worse version of the BOB offense.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Not right now, otherwise time will tell. He's faced some tough defenses.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
…..just curious, how do you think any of the 2021 RD1 QB draftees would perform if in the same shoes as Mills? No 1st team preparation until their first action came in the 2nd half of the teams 2nd game. Not to mention limited practices since that time. So, if you would like, which QB drafted in RD1 of the 2021 draft would’ve done a better job?

By the way…..this is the same argument I presented regarding the Watson / Mahomes debate. You know, that answer is finally presenting itself b/c for the first time Mahomes is facing some of the same obstacles that Watson faced since arriving in Houston. Watson hasn’t enjoyed Mahomes situation with the Chiefs at any time in his NFL career. Personally, if that day ever arrives I think Watson still has the talent to deliver a big season.

In my book, Mills was drafted to soon and 2022 would not be the season to invest in a RD1 or RD2 QB. So, if a RD3 or later QB was drafted wouldn’t that essentially be doubling down on the Mills pick? Texans need every pick they can get their hands on so they can start the rebuild in earnest along the OL, defensive backfield, and running game.
To me, it's never been about who looks better at the moment because like you said, they're all in different boats.

It's more about their upside.

The two guys Lawrence and Fields had shown that they can handle themselves in many big games in college though they're different type of players.

Mac Jones is another different type, less exciting but extremely efficient and steady at Alabama.

Trey Lance is more raw, but definitely talented, with all the physical traits, athleticism, etc.
He's more of a risk due to the level of competition in college so the team that drafts him ought to feel really comfortable with him at the individual workout(s) and interview(s), the whole process.

Zach Wilson, on the other hand, was a guy that I couldn't get a real handle on.
I was surprised he was selected that high.

And as I had professed, I'd rather take Ian Book in the fourth round like the Saints did.
He's shown to be a playmaker, and the fourth round isn't much of a risk on a playmaker.

As for 2022, it's still too early to tell as it was in the 2017 draft. There was no concensus on the top prospects even on draft day. Nobody knows who will be the first QB taken or how many guys will go in the first for sure.
(Some had Mahomes in the third round; others had Kizer going in the first; yet others thought Trubisky was too much of a risk as a one-year wonder, etc.)

austins23

Hall of Fame
The two guys Lawrence and Fields had shown that they can handle themselves in many big games in college
Fields is crap right now and is being ruined by Nagy. Him and Mills are actually in the same situation…. Yes I know Fields is a better QB than Mills, but I don’t think Fields will ever be anywhere close to Watson or Mahomes or Allen. He just doesn’t have it. Mills doesn’t either, but neither one of them are being given a solid chance because of coaching. Coaching

mws

Rookie
In the 5 games Mills has started the Texans have been outscored 151 to 39. The Texans have lost by an average of 22 points in those games. Anyway you slice it that is pretty damn bad.

sandman

Brexit Advisor
Is what it is.
Perfect example of why stats without narrative are crap.

The Jags defense is even worse than the Texans. They give up 29 points a game just like the Texans, have the 2nd worst pass defense and have two total takeaways all year.

It would be beyond irresponsible to attempt to extrapolate TT's performance against five of the top ten scoring defenses this season based primarily on the Jags game. Because Urban Meyers and Trevor Lawrence in their first real NFL games is not a valid measurement.

Would the Texans have scored more points over the last 5 games? I would expect so. But the regression to the mean would have come hard and fast even for TT. Because an injury prone QB with no RB's and a shoddy OL can only do so much. At best this team is 2-6 with the only other win being New England. You don't get to play the Jags every week.