Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Week 3: Carolina at Houston

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
He didn’t look injured at all to me the way he was walking off the field. I’m not sure what a grade II hamstring tear is but I’m pretty sure if I had one I’d still be laying on the field.
A hamstring grade II is a partial tear. Players will usually be able to walk after this injury. McCaffery had a limp but was able to walk. It's in the ensuing hours when swelling increases and some bleeding into the muscle occurs that the pain and the restricted ability to stretch the muscle (because of increased reflex muscle shortening/contraction) really occurs, making walking much more difficult and painful.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Hopefully they've found their QB or bring a guy like Jimmy G in. If they get say two 1sts for the 3rd string QB and hit on their drafts over the next 2 yrs, they can add 5 or 6 star level players to the defense through the draft and you've got cap $$$$ to add 2-3 star level FA's.

This is what Caserio is trying to do. Can he do it, Add 7-9 star level players in the next couple of yr. I would say as of now the juries out. I do think Caserio found a couple of guys in his 1st draft. Too bad Collins got hurt.
And you know what happens when you go into free agency. You overspend and guess what happens to you cap. Jimmy is cool until you realize he has to have alot to overcome his shortfalls. Its almost impossible to do that in today's nfl. So what you have is Kirk Cousins

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
The essence of team sports is to put team before self. To become something greater as a team than the sum of the individual parts. That aside and being realistic with the Texans, why CANT they be competitive and at the very least be better as a team than they were last year? You guys have this all or nothing attitude. Its about getting this 1 thing (QB), or this 1 piece (New HC)....or it has to be done this way (tank to get high draft picks so as to get top talent).. This is why so many teams who do amass good enough talent more often than not still fail to even become contenders Because the Owner/GM/HC has subscribed to this 1 sided, all or nothing way of thinking & it doesn't work like that.

Changing a culture doesn’t start when you feel you have accumulated enough talent to compete & win. It starts from day 1 of the regime change when you identify those who want to be here & bring in guys who accept their roles and believe in what you’re trying to do.. While subsequently weeding out those who don’t want to be here. The 1-2 year contracts serve that purpose. & just in these 2 games we've played so far, you can already see that this team under a new regime with guys who want to be here is much better than last years team with a superstar qb.

No, all of these guys won't be brought back, but those who are will likely be guys who not only are good enough, but also guys who know what this regime is about and will fall in line with what they're trying to do.
You change a culture by winning. By putting your best players in a position to succeed. How many rookies they have getting significant time? I mean look at Miami. They traded their best players, got picks, made good picks, coached them up in a period of 2 yrs. This team should be chock full of guys under 25 getting alot of time.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
I couldn't watch the game live and just saw the full replay now.

-We have to scratch our zone defense. Guys were open by 5 yards throughout the 1st half. Ridiculous.

- I was excited about signing Lindsey in the off-season but every time he touches the ball our blocking folds. It's just not working. You don't run wide on a fast defense. That sh*t is elementary.

-our pass protection was suspect in this game. Was it Britt or Mills calling protection? Needs to improve.

-what happened to Cunningham? No really? He went from being one of our better defenders to incognito.

-murry is ok as a safety. He's not good in man coverage.

-greenard and Blaylock finally showed some promise and might not be busts.

-im OK with Davis mills (or "General Mills" for those of you looking to nickname him.) Made some good throws, did some rookie things. Looks like he has the potential to be a #26-#32 type starter in the league.

Jmo

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
We have to scratch our zone defense. Guys were open by 5 yards throughout the 1st half. Ridiculous.
I’m not ready for that, but I do think they need to tweak it some. If they’re going to play the run so hard, because of guys like McCaffery then one of the Safeties need to roll to the middle of the field, leaving one side with man coverage & no safety help. They have to be smart in choosing which side will have no over the top help, but they can’t rely on the LBs to stop the run & defend the middle. Especially with a guy like McCaffery.

Or, at least one of those LBs has to get to his drop regardless of the play action, which I believe should have been the plan & that guy should have been Cunningham & he decided to play the run regardless.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I’m not ready for that, but I do think they need to tweak it some. If they’re going to play the run so hard, because of guys like McCaffery then one of the Safeties need to roll to the middle of the field, leaving one side with man coverage & no safety help. They have to be smart in choosing which side will have no over the top help, but they can’t rely on the LBs to stop the run & defend the middle. Especially with a guy like McCaffery.

Or, at least one of those LBs has to get to his drop regardless of the play action, which I believe should have been the plan & that guy should have been Cunningham & he decided to play the run regardless.
Wow. That was way above my pay grade. :runaway:

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Wonder if they want to cut down the chance of injury to King? Secondary is pretty thin recently.
Could be, but dude is putting on the turf way too much, and like I said, isn't doing jack when he doesn't. What happened to competition and accountability?

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
So this caught my attention. From a national perspective neither team is a big draw especially with Houston starting a rookie QB and Panthers not being good overall over that last few seasons. The NFL is McDonalds, coke, Walmart in terms of market power

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
So this caught my attention. From a national perspective neither team is a big draw especially with Houston starting a rookie QB and Panthers not being good overall over that last few seasons. The NFL is McDonalds, coke, Walmart in terms of market power
And, other than local, it was only available on NFL Network too. NFL is the king.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
listen, big fan of Cooks and have followed him since his days @ Oregon State, but injuries have taken their toll, he is just not as explosive or fearless as he once was. See him doing better job protecting his body and avoiding direct hits otherwise he is injury concern every time he hits the field.
https://www.draftsharks.com/fantasy/injury-history/brandin-cooks/6946
Literally every player is an injury concern every time they hit the field. Football is a dangerous contact sport. Cooks has proven to be remarkably consistent… and durable relative to other players at his position.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
And you know what happens when you go into free agency. You overspend and guess what happens to you cap. Jimmy is cool until you realize he has to have alot to overcome his shortfalls. Its almost impossible to do that in today's nfl. So what you have is Kirk Cousins
At this point I would be very happy to have a SB starting level QB paired with Mills.

I like TT but both Jimmy G and TT are injury prone.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Literally every player is an injury concern every time they hit the field. Football is a dangerous contact sport. Cooks has proven to be remarkably consistent… and durable relative to other players at his position.
Yeah, he is durable.
But you never know about the next concussion.

Maybe he has a hard head like Montana. :brando:

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
8 million isnt all that shocking when you go on youtube and see what people are willing to watch these days.

Some strange person eating a sandwich.... only eating a sandwich.... nothing but the sandwich.... and has a following.

If 8 million people will watch some random person eat a sandwich.... 8 million watching a Texans game becomes believable.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
The defense is still much better than it was last yr.

Maybe because they aren't on the field as much?
They’ve been on the field quite a bit since Tyrod got injured the last 6 quarters. But they force longer drives for the offense to get points rather than giving up big plays, short drives and the end result being points.

I am interested in seeing Greenard and Blacklock progress throughout the season in particular. Hopefully they can provide consistent pass rush to mask some of the Tampa 2 weaknesses.

Dejaview

All Pro
They’ve been on the field quite a bit since Tyrod got injured the last 6 quarters. But they force longer drives for the offense to get points rather than giving up big plays, short drives and the end result being points.

I am interested in seeing Greenard and Blacklock progress throughout the season in particular. Hopefully they can provide consistent pass rush to mask some of the Tampa 2 weaknesses.
Don’t know why all the complaints continue about everything Texans after the complainers have already complained ad nauseum about how bad they suck as if its possible to be fixed in the first few months of this major overhauling. I’m with you about Greenard and Blacklock. This season is everything about changing the culture of this team, getting our younger players involved and growing in the process and getting the O and D established (player communication, etc) for next year when real player additions can be made. I’m satisfied that this process is the correct one and is moving in the right direction.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Just know that the schedule is tough.

Playing the Bills and Pats isn't a cakewalk and the AFC West games are looming on the schedule.

Dejaview

All Pro
I thought we all agreed they were going to suck this year, and they (currently) are. Is there a problem?
Apparently it needs to be said 100 times per day without any suggestions how it all can be fixed today. But your idea of sucking is relative. They aren’t as good as all the teams that have been following set programs for a few years but I’d say they are having success while starting a program from scratch. perhaps it’s best said that they suck compared to where they want to be but they don’t regarding a good plan to get there from here.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
NFC West too… makes you wonder if last year’s bad teams get “rewarded” with tougher schedules.
It really shouldn't. That's s long gone thing. Ever since the Texans came into the league & they went to 4 divisions per conference, previous season results have less effect on this year's schedule.

Only two games out of 16 were based on where you placed in the division the year before.

Now it's 3 out of 17. & we already lost two of those games. The third place Browns (11-5) & third place Panthers (5-11). We still have the third place Chargers (7-9).

We play the AFCEast which includes the third place Patriots (7-9) & 4th place Jets (2-14).

We play the NFCWest which includes the third place Cardinals (8-8) & 4th place 49ers (6-10).

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
It really shouldn't. That's s long gone thing. Ever since the Texans came into the league & they went to 4 divisions per conference, previous season results have less effect on this year's schedule.

Only two games out of 16 were based on where you placed in the division the year before.

Now it's 3 out of 17. & we already lost two of those games. The third place Browns (11-5) & third place Panthers (5-11). We still have the third place Chargers (7-9).

We play the AFCEast which includes the third place Patriots (7-9) & 4th place Jets (2-14).

We play the NFCWest which includes the third place Cardinals (8-8) & 4th place 49ers (6-10).
Maybe they beat the Jags/Jets and split with either the Colts or Titans to win 4 games and if they're lucky maybe one of the teams you listed will have an off day. I wouldn't count on that being the Cards.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Maybe they beat the Jags/Jets and split with either the Colts or Titans to win 4 games and if they're lucky maybe one of the teams you listed will have an off day. I wouldn't count on that being the Cards.
I just listed the team's that finished third or fourth in their divisions that we will play.

But yes, we might find a way to beat the 0-2 Colts.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I just listed the team's that finished third or fourth in their divisions that we will play.

But yes, we might find a way to beat the 0-2 Colts.
Yep, they're playing against the 2 toughest divisions in football AFC West/ AFC East minus the Dolphins and then their extra games are against the tough NFC West Cards/49ers who are much improved due to health. Then the other 2 teams the play are the NFL's #1 ranked defense at the time. Panthers and a very talented Browns team.

CWTexansFan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Contributor's Club
8 million isnt all that shocking when you go on youtube and see what people are willing to watch these days.

Some strange person eating a sandwich.... only eating a sandwich.... nothing but the sandwich.... and has a following.

If 8 million people will watch some random person eat a sandwich.... 8 million watching a Texans game becomes believable.
After eating thousands of sandwiches, I was able to retire.

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
Why is she whispering? She's got enough food for the rest of the house.

I didn't know Popeye's had onion rings? Is that an off menu item?
Why does anyone whisper?

My guess is, because it's creepy... a lot of it going around these days.....

But what do know of why people lose their minds... I just work on this planet, I try to distance myself from the life forms on it... they are loons.

Couldn't tell ya bout onion rings. All I know is last time I had Popeyes I left toilet rings.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Why does anyone whisper?

My guess is, because it's creepy... a lot of it going around these days.....

But what do know of why people lose their minds... I just work on this planet, I try to distance myself from the life forms on it... they are loons.

Couldn't tell ya bout onion rings. All I know is last time I had Popeyes I left toilet rings.
If you ate the spicy you were left with a burning bunghole that may have been in need of the DeOily.

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
If you ate the spicy you were left with a burning bunghole that may have been in need of the DeOily.
Nah, Im a Texan, it wasn't the spice, but more likely they had slime in the ice machine.

As for Backdoor lube..... I will pass on the DeShaun special, even if I had any interest whatsoever, what with the shortages of everything and the massage demands of some people... that lubes gotta be more expensive than printer ink.