Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Week 18 Preview: Sudden Death.... who you got?

Who wins

• Texans

Votes: 43 86.0%
  • Colts

Votes: 7 14.0%

• Total voters
The Colts are 6-3 over the past 9 games. But, they've also been outgained in 7 of the last 9 games. How are they winning? One, the Colts are +5 in turnover margin. That helps. Two? They just find ways to win. 6-2 in games separated by one score or less.

The Texans need to execute on offense and play clean on defense to come away with a win a playoff berth. Sounds easy. But this is the biggest game to date for a lot of these players. This game a great experience for the young Texans, but it will only feel great if they do their jobs. Texans 23, Colts 20.

I was looking through the Team Statistical Rankings, to see where the Colts are better (statistically). Just about every team statistical category, the Texans are better (slightly). The one outlier that I could find, was penalties. Colts are one of the best in the league with only getting penalized 41.9 yards/game, while the Texans are one of the worst at 54.3.

In that loud stadium, my biggest fear, is Tunsil erasing some big plays with his ritual false start.

I was looking through the Team Statistical Rankings, to see where the Colts are better (statistically). Just about every team statistical category, the Texans are better (slightly). The one outlier that I could find, was penalties. Colts are one of the best in the league with only getting penalized 41.9 yards/game, while the Texans are one of the worst at 54.3.

In that loud stadium, my biggest fear, is Tunsil erasing some big plays with his ritual false start.
Is he playing? I thought he had a groin injury.

The Colts are 6-3 over the past 9 games. But, they've also been outgained in 7 of the last 9 games. How are they winning? One, the Colts are +5 in turnover margin. That helps. Two? They just find ways to win. 6-2 in games separated by one score or less.

The Texans need to execute on offense and play clean on defense to come away with a win a playoff berth. Sounds easy. But this is the biggest game to date for a lot of these players. This game a great experience for the young Texans, but it will only feel great if they do their jobs. Texans 23, Colts 20.

I believe the Texans are also 6-3 over last 9 games. Wins came over Bucs, Bengals, Cardinals, Broncos, Oilers x2.

Not to toot my own horn, but was very vocal about Slowik finally realized Andrew Beck was worthless on offense.

Replaced him with Jordan as the H/TE Back in passing situations and the offense gets a Walk in TD.

Hopefully we can get more misdirection there.

Houston this year has also not emphasized the TE throwback that this WestCoast Offense features. I think we will finally see one or two of those against the Colts.

Posted Monday after the Titans game>>

I was pleasantly surprised and happy to see Anderson's limited game snaps (only 23%) translate into sacks. With that said, the Titans have one of the most pathetic excuses for an Oline I've seen in a long time.

Anderson only took 12 snaps the entire game.

Again, not trying to take anything away from Anderson (who I watched very carefully and his moves were noticeably less crisp and slower that prior to his high ankle which was not yet appropriately rehabbed for return), but realistically let's look at a couple of relevant facts when trying to anticipate Saturday's potential performance.>>>

The Colts Offensive Line is ranked #4 in the NFL. They allowed only 3 pressures to the Raiders last week.

The Titans Offensive Line is ranked #32.

The Colts rank #16 in the NFL in allowed QB sacks.

The Titans rank #3 in the NFL in allowed QB sacks.

Again, not trying to take anything away from Anderson (who I watched very carefully and his moves were noticeably less crisp and slower that prior to his high ankle which was not yet appropriately rehabbed for return), but realistically let's look at a couple of relevant facts when trying to anticipate Saturday's potential performance.>>>

The Colts Offensive Line is ranked #4 in the NFL. They allowed only 3 pressures to the Raiders last week.

There you go lifting all our spirits and giving us hope again!

DC Matt Burke on Will Anderson Jr. candidacy for NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year: "Will would much rather win this game than win awards. He is just besides stats and numbers and pressures, he's a complete player. It's about who he is as a person. Couldn't think of better person to represent the ideals we're trying to build. Complete package: toughness, work ethic, teammate."

Texans need to be able to run the ball against the Colts 6th worst rushing D. Week 2 Pierce was the feature back and averaged 2 YPC. Should be a different story with Singletary getting the workload.

Protecting CJ will be an issue. Indy had 6 sacks and 9 QB hits in the 1st game. They also had 10 tackles for loss. Indy is 5th in the league in sacks. Getting the ball out quick helps there, but it's taking the vertical game away. CJ's 6.7 Y/A last week was his 3rd lowest of the season. Of course the receiving room may have a little something to do with that. I've read a lot of Metchie and Hutch need to step up. My guess is there's a reason they haven't to this point. And with all of the injuries, they've certainly had opportunities.

Texans have got to score TDs. I don't think they're going to FG their way to a win here. Gotta get the ball in the end zone. Don't get cute once you get in the red zone with end arounds to Hutch and the like. Stick with what got you there.

Defense needs to control the run game. Get this, the Texans have the 3rd fewest rushing yards allowed and the 2nd fewest YPC allowed. Whut?? Moss had 88 at 4.8 the 1st game. Of course Richardson busted off some big runs on them too. Don't have to worry Minshew burning you with his feet but they'll need to keep Taylor in check.

Indy pass game actually worries me the most. Texans had 1 QB hit in the 1st game and that was it. No sacks, no TFL, nothing. Minshew completed 82.6% of his passes and the Texans are the 3rd worst in completion percentage against. They are also the 2nd worst in Y/A. Of course the Texans didn't have Stingley that 1st game, who is playing well. But pressure is the key here. They've got to get Minshew under duress. If he's able to stay clean and complete 75-80% of his passes, it could be a long night.

A couple of turnovers either way will be big in this one as I believe it's going to be a dogfight. Texans have a +9 TO ratio for the season, tied for 4th best. Texans are also tied for the fewest giveaways this season.

Indy kicker has missed 7 FGs, ours has become one of the best in the league, should it come down to a game winning kick.

This news is something to keep an eye on. Our DTs could be able to get to Minshew if they have a C who hasn’t been playing much.
I wouldn't get too excited yet.

This may not mean that Ryan will not play Saturday. Despite his original left ankle injury, he did not miss a snap in week 17. The 48 hours post ankle sprain is typically associated with increased swelling. The boot could simply be used to contain the expected swelling. He obviously does not need the practice. It is still to be seen if he is not injected, extensively taped, andput into high-lace footware in order to play in this crucial game.

This may not mean that Ryan will not play Saturday. Despite his original left ankle injury, he did not miss a snap in week 17. The 48 hours post ankle sprain is typically associated with increased swelling. The boot could simply be used to contain the expected swelling. He obviously does not need the practice. It is still to be seen if he is not injected, extensively taped, andput into high-lace footware in order to play in this crucial game.
These crucial games have the coaches sending the walking wounded to the front line - rub some dirt on it and get back in there son! 😄

Texans need to be able to run the ball against the Colts 6th worst rushing D. Week 2 Pierce was the feature back and averaged 2 YPC. Should be a different story with Singletary getting the workload.

Protecting CJ will be an issue. Indy had 6 sacks and 9 QB hits in the 1st game. They also had 10 tackles for loss. Indy is 5th in the league in sacks. Getting the ball out quick helps there, but it's taking the vertical game away. CJ's 6.7 Y/A last week was his 3rd lowest of the season. Of course the receiving room may have a little something to do with that. I've read a lot of Metchie and Hutch need to step up. My guess is there's a reason they haven't to this point. And with all of the injuries, they've certainly had opportunities.

Texans have got to score TDs. I don't think they're going to FG their way to a win here. Gotta get the ball in the end zone. Don't get cute once you get in the red zone with end arounds to Hutch and the like. Stick with what got you there.

Defense needs to control the run game. Get this, the Texans have the 3rd fewest rushing yards allowed and the 2nd fewest YPC allowed. Whut?? Moss had 88 at 4.8 the 1st game. Of course Richardson busted off some big runs on them too. Don't have to worry Minshew burning you with his feet but they'll need to keep Taylor in check.

Indy pass game actually worries me the most. Texans had 1 QB hit in the 1st game and that was it. No sacks, no TFL, nothing. Minshew completed 82.6% of his passes and the Texans are the 3rd worst in completion percentage against. They are also the 2nd worst in Y/A. Of course the Texans didn't have Stingley that 1st game, who is playing well. But pressure is the key here. They've got to get Minshew under duress. If he's able to stay clean and complete 75-80% of his passes, it could be a long night.

A couple of turnovers either way will be big in this one as I believe it's going to be a dogfight. Texans have a +9 TO ratio for the season, tied for 4th best. Texans are also tied for the fewest giveaways this season.

Indy kicker has missed 7 FGs, ours has become one of the best in the league, should it come down to a game winning kick.

We should note for context that 10 out of 16 games have been played against teams with a rushing offense in the bottom half of the league and in 5 out of those 10 games it was against teams in the bottom 10. In other words, they have played some really bad rushing offenses.

I'm gonna be a pessimist cause it's seemed to work so far.

I have plenty of Cholula and hope that crow is on the menu Saturday night.

This has been the longest week waiting for the game...I'm glad it's on Saturday, so if we win I can focus all my attention on the Jags-Titans on Sunday. It's really unbelievable that we're a win away from making the playoffs...like I said on another board, it's pretty awesome having three competent pro sports teams in the same city at one time. It's been a while.

This has been the longest week waiting for the game...I'm glad it's on Saturday, so if we win I can focus all my attention on the Jags-Titans on Sunday. It's really unbelievable that we're a win away from making the playoffs...like I said on another board, it's pretty awesome having three competent pro sports teams in the same city at one time. It's been a while.

It's going to be so weird and so difficult to cheer for the Titans to beat the living snot out of the Jags, but Imma do it.

You might be right. I just saw the Colts injury report, and it listed him as limited. My guess is he’ll play.

It would be amazing if we won and were hoping Vrabel could pull off the upset. He’s a good coach, so I could see them surprising people.

Does anyone know if Lawrence will be playing through that shoulder injury?

I see their perennial Pro bowl LG Quentin Nelson has an ankle injury. Perhaps he is sidelined or only plays limited snaps.

The Safety play should be much better for the Texans this go around. Both Ward and Petrie missed the 1st game. I expect that Petrie/KJ will have good games as well as Stingley.
Despite the injuries, our D is better this go round.
Colts are good at forcing TO's - limit those and you kill a lot of their offensive potential.
Limit their running game and together put a lot of pressure on Minshew and force him to beat you in the air.

The Safety play should be much better for the Texans this go around. Both Ward and Petrie missed the 1st game. I expect that Petrie/KJ will have good games as well as Stingley.
Petrie needs to step up and Kareem Jackson and Desmond King need to fight hard for an extension in 2024.
There should be others continuing their fight for new contracts.. somewhere

Texans are 10-32-1 all time vs. Colts. 4-17 @ Indianapolis. A lot of the Colts dominance in the series came from the days when Peyton "run 'em up" Manning was at QB. Those were some good Colts teams going to the Superb Owl twice and winning once.

The Colts got off to a fast start at the earlier meeting this season @ NRG. IIRC, the Colts looked ready to play that day and the Texans for some reason, didn't. Anthony Richardson went down and Minshew came in and didn't miss a beat. The Colts led 28-10 at halftime and the final score ended up 31-20 Colts.

I found it interesting that the Texans went so conservative in the passing game in their last game vs. the Titans. There was a lot of 5 and 10 and outs - passes to the flat. Only one completion went for greater than 20 yards. However, they did it well and perhaps they were avoiding deep shots to protect CJ .... The team is very good at the vertical game when they want to be and here's to hoping they open it up a little more on Saturday night....

Petrie needs to step up and Kareem Jackson and Desmond King need to fight hard for an extension in 2024.
There should be others continuing their fight for new contracts.. somewhere

King, Kareem, Amos, Nelson…. all vet DBs that know where they should be on a given play. Very important with as much zone as DeMeco runs.

Lets hope the youngsters Stingley and Pitre can cash in on some big plays (turnovers!)

Fun fact: Of those names mentioned, only Nelson played against the Colts last time these two teams played. What a wild ride the NFL season has been!

Back