Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Week 17 Game Thread: Texans vs Titans

Texansballer74

The Marine

The Tennessee Titans (5-10) will try to play spoiler when they square off against the Houston Texans (8-7) in an AFC matchup on Sunday afternoon. Tennessee has lost three of its last four games and has already been eliminated from playoff contention, while Houston is fighting for the AFC South title or an AFC Wild Card spot. The Texans are in a three-way tie atop the division and are in a four-way tie for the final wild-card berth. They notched a 19-16 win over Tennessee in overtime two weeks ago.
Kickoff is set for 1 p.m. ET on Sunday at NRG Stadium. The Texans are favored by 4 points in the latest Texans vs. Titans odds, while the over/under is set at 44 points, per SportsLine consensus. Before entering any Titans vs. Texans picks, you'll want to see the NFL predictions from the model at SportsLine.
The model, which simulates every NFL game 10,000 times, is up well over $7,000 for $100 players on top-rated NFL picks since its inception. The model enters Week 17 of the 2023 NFL season on an incredible 178-129 run on top-rated NFL picks that dates back to the 2017 season. It is also on a 32-21 roll on top-rated NFL picks since Week 7 of last season.
The model also ranked in the top 10 on NFLPickWatch four of the past six years on straight-up NFL picks and beat more than 94% of CBS Sports Football Pick'em players four times during that span. Anyone who has followed it is way up.
The model has set its sights on Tennessee-Houston. You can head to SportsLine to see its picks. Here are several NFL betting lines for the game:
  • Texans vs. Titans spread: Texans -4
  • Texans vs. Titans over/under: 44 points
  • Texans vs. Titans money line: Texans -208, Titans +172
  • Texans vs. Titans picks: See picks here
  • Texans vs. Titans live stream: fubo (try for free)
Why the Texans can cover
Houston has not lost consecutive games since the first two weeks of the season, and it is coming off a loss to Cleveland last week. The Texans already beat Tennessee on the road two weeks ago, as running back Devin Singletary racked up 121 rushing yards on 26 carries. They were without rookie quarterback C.J. Stroud (concussion) in that game, but he has been cleared to return this week.
Backup quarterback Case Keenum was serviceable as a replacement, completing 22 of 36 passes for 229 yards and a touchdown against the Titans. Tennessee has already been eliminated from playoff contention, and it has lost three of its last four games. The Titans are also just 1-9 in their last 10 road games, while Houston has covered the spread in five of its last seven December outings.
Why the Titans can cover
While Tennessee has lost three of its last four games, all three of those losses have come by just three points. The Titans also pulled off a huge upset win over Miami during that stretch, so they have not stopped competing at the end of the season. Running back Derrick Henry has rushed for more than 85 yards in two of his last four outings, including last week's game against Seattle.
He finished with 88 yards and a touchdown against the Seahawks, averaging 4.6 yards per carry. Rookie quarterback Will Levis sat out last week due to an ankle injury, but he returned to practice earlier this week and doesn't have an injury designation heading into this game. The Texans have only covered the spread three times in their last nine games, including once in their last five home games. See which team to pick here.
How to make Texans vs. Titans picks
The model has simulated Titans vs. Texans 10,000 times and the results are in. The model is leaning Under, and it's also generated a point-spread pick that is hitting in over 50% of simulations. You can only see the pick at SportsLine.
So who wins Texans vs. Titans, and which side of the spread hits over 50% of the time? Visit SportsLine right now to see which side of the Titans vs. Texans spread you should be all over Sunday, all from the model on a 178-129 roll on its top-rated NFL picks, and find out.

Our Latest NFL Stories
Cowboys survive to hang on at home
GARRETT PODELL • 6 MIN READ
Cowboys' CeeDee Lamb rewrites record books
GARRETT PODELL • 7 MIN READ
CBS Sports' top 23 headline-making moments of 2023
CBS SPORTS STAFF • 16 MIN READ
Saints' Allen, Carr expected back, OC change possible
JONATHAN JONES • 2 MIN READ
Struggling Chiefs to change some players' roles
JONATHAN JONES • 2 MIN READ
Taylor says he told refs before Lions' two-point play
BRYAN DEARDO • 1 MIN READ

Tennessee Titans inactive players: Sunday, Dec. 31
  • QB Malik Willis
  • WR Kyle Philips
  • CB Tre Avery
  • OLB Trevis Gipson
  • OL Calvin Throckmorton
  • TE Trevon Wesco
  • DL Quinton Bohanna

Hopefully CJ is actually OK. I don't trust the Texans to make the right decision. If CJ is OK, we'll win. If Jacksonville and Indy can both manage to lose today, we'll actually be in 1st place in the division. Who would have predicted that? :lol:

No TLaw so it's a possibility the Jags lose. And if the Raiders show up with that defense they had against the Chiefs, the Colts could lose.

I mean, I think if someone goes back to the preseason, I was totally saying we would have a pretty good shot at winning the division and having a playoff game at home.

Pretty sure I did that.

No TLaw so it's a possibility the Jags lose. And if the Raiders show up with that defense they had against the Chiefs, the Colts could lose.

I mean, I think if someone goes back to the preseason, I was totally saying we would have a pretty good shot at winning the division and having a playoff game at home.

Pretty sure I did that.

I can imagine what my reply to your post would have been at that time. :lol:

I hope our boys can find ways to get pressure on Titans QB - with WA and JG out, the pass rush is going to struggle with that.
Conversely, I hope our Oline can keep CJ clean - no nasty sacks please!

Hopefully CJ is actually OK. I don't trust the Texans to make the right decision. If CJ is OK, we'll win. If Jacksonville and Indy can both manage to lose today, we'll actually be in 1st place in the division. Who would have predicted that? :lol:
If nothing else one would think that this kind of injury would at least initially have an adverse effect on the young mans confidence.
But if the "old" CJ is out there today, then I'm inclined to agree with Thorn, and after all we are playing at home and the Titans don't have much to play for while we are still in the P-Off hunt.

Quiet and fast 1st quarter, but Texans offense has another chance to get some points on this drive as it enters the 2nd quarter.

Back