Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Week 15 - The Battle of Dumpster Fires (Jags)

BTW, Caserio, when given the opportunity, hasn't sung Culley's praises.

Houston Texans GM Nick Caserio Non-Committal On David Culley's Future - Sports Illustrated Houston Texans News, Analysis and More

(I apologize if the above article has been dropped elsewhere on this board. Admittedly, when I log onto this website, I usually just look at the threads with most recent activity.)
I don't think that was an opportunity to sing Culley's praises. That was about not dignifying those type rumors with a response.

The reason the Texans haven't been a great org is the McNair's don't put winning 1st and foremost. They're more about the fan experience.

Also they meddle when they shouldn't. They have hired GM's that for different reasons weren't good at their jobs and last but not least they have the silly Not Texans Worthy rule.

Texans have yet, to hire true NFL Head Coach. Capers - defensive coordinator Kubiak - offensive coordinator O’Brian - offensive coordinator Culley WR positional coach.

I’m thinking Lovie Smith is best HC candidate because he’s more proven as such, but trend is to go younger, analytical, smarter, most of which you target as NFL coordinator’s, some Head Coaching experience invaluable, even if it’s College ranks.

Texans/Cal fired O’Brian so early last season he had first shot at field but completely wasted that option when hired Caserio, who just wanted team Jack/Nick guy, which is why he can never be trusted imo.

Culley's serving his purpose.

He was never meant to be a long time hire.

Give it a couple of yrs to rebuild, then Caserio will hire his guy.

See, I don't think Lynn was a placeholder. I think they genuinely thought he was their guy. It just didn't work out. & I'm sure they weren't waiting on Staley.

Same thing with Culley. They didn't give him a 5 year deal expecting to can him after two, or three. He'll have every opportunity to play out his contract.

With that said, I hope they fire him after two, or three if he doesn't deliver what they expect, like Lynn. Or whenever the circus gets out of hand, like Myer.

That would be different from business as usual on Kirby, where the HC can underperform for 4 years & get a promotion.

See, I don't think Lynn was a placeholder. I think they genuinely thought he was their guy. It just didn't work out. & I'm sure they weren't waiting on Staley.

Same thing with Culley. They didn't give him a 5 year deal expecting to can him after two, or three. He'll have every opportunity to play out his contract.

With that said, I hope they fire him after two, or three if he doesn't deliver what they expect, like Lynn. Or whenever the circus gets out of hand, like Myer.

That would be different from business as usual on Kirby, where the HC can underperform for 4 years & get a promotion.

Since it’s Christmas you make it sound reasonably sound, but I’m still malcontent, bah hum bug.

Agree to disagree

Business as usual has changed down on Kirby.

Since it’s Christmas you make it sound reasonably sound, but I’m still malcontent, bah hum bug.
I'm not at all happy with the way things worked out. I'm glad they hired the GM first & had the GM hire the coach. I just wish they hired a GM before the season ended. Then maybe we could have got Staley, or Saleh, Myer. Or whoever.

Saying they were going to hire the GM first & then start interviewing HCs before they had their GM... that was some Kirbysht

Last edited:
You’re starting from the assumption that Culley is a placeholder.

Go back to the premise that a GM would have a list of HCs he wants to hire/work with. Nick only brought one name to the table & he hired that guy.

we don’t like that decision. Nick has made several decisions we don’t like.
He’s also a pond on the chest board. Pretty much a yes man. Especially after his guy Tyrod flamed out. Culley was so adamant about TT being the starter. Nick will be the next HC of the Texans. Lol mark my words gentlemen.

I didn't start from the premise of Culley as a placeholder. I'm countering the posts that mentions waiting until McCown or McDaniels are available. It gets posted here as if it's normal for an NFL team to hire a placeholder coach and then wait for another coach to become available. It's nuts.
We are talking about the Texans here bro. Anything is possible when it comes to that managerial staff. They do things ash backwards.

Caserio can draft all the premium offensive linemen believing that will fix everything (talent does make a difference) but just throwing draft/FA capital alone isn’t enough. You need coaching. Ok Culley brought in Chargers OL coach Dave Campen.

Difficult to coach and build continuity when starting from scratch. I’m sure effort and experience upgrade over Devlin but what I focus on is growth & development of group as a whole. Tunsil injury has really stunted group and Howard is still playing Guard instead of Tackle. Really believe Howard should immediately moved there when Tunsil went down. He is Texans next best OL but in 3rd season still not entrenched.

Switching quickly to Chargers, they invested heavily into offensive line past offseason add to that Chargers went to Pittsburg OL coach Shaun Sarrett then pairing him up with RB Coach Jay Rodgers from Chicago Bears. LG Feiler should have made Pro Bowl as Rashawn Slater did as rookie. Then free agent signing Corey linsley also made pro bowl. Oday Aboushi who was killing it RG before tearing acl was another outstanding and cheap signing.

Here is where it gets interesting, showcasing coaching and adapting to injury, replacement and growth. Bulaga played one half of first game and that was last time he played down for Chargers. Had two OT’s on roster Trey Pipkins (3rd rd. 2019) and Storm Norton (undrafted free agent 2017). Pipkins has been a draft bust and couldn’t even play special teams without committing a penalty. So it was quite concerning last week he was starting LT for Slater out on covid protcal. His play had improved so much and allowed only one pressure while making some great run blocks. Now he has value, proven growth and probably extension instead of being released end of season.

Norton, was forced into starting line-up soon as Bulaga went down and it was ugly. They adjusted to bring him help, he kept working and by week 8 he was given game ball, after his best performance and his wife giving birth. Rest is history, been starting RT, still weak point of line but very serviceable and tribute to coaching.

This week vs Texans Corey Linsley tested positive so dipping into reserve Center Scott Quesenberry. There will be a drop off for sure, how much will probably not decide game, but it has to be said coaching staff has had to earn their paycheck and you don’t need to have elite lineman, but it sure helps.

Howard is still playing Guard instead of Tackle.
They've been trying to get their best 5 on the field. Sometimes that allows them to move Howard outside. Sometimes they have him inside.

With Tunsil in the game, he's the LT. With Taylor or McCray in they can move Howard to LT. Even if Geron is healthy.

It's not an ideal situation. I'd rather Howard stay outside. But, I don't want to see the 3rd string LG either. I don't think we even have a 3rd string LG.

I'd rather Howard stay outside.
I’d rather the Texans plan to move on from Howard. He will be in the last year of his rookie deal in 2022 and has not shown to be worthy of an extension. Howard is versatile in the Bill O’Brien definition. Not good at any position.

I’d rather the Texans plan to move on from Howard. He will be in the last year of his rookie deal in 2022 and has not shown to be worthy of an extension. Howard is versatile in the Bill O’Brien definition. Not good at any position.
Interesting as I do not see Howard as versatile at all. He sucks at the guard position and I can't remember much about his play at right tackle. I see him as a left tackle only. I would not be surprised if they do move on from him.

He graded well the last two games he played LT. I'd much rather go with him & Geron & dump Tunsil for a couple of 2nd day picks.

He graded well the last two games he played LT. I'd much rather go with him & Geron & dump Tunsil for a couple of 2nd day picks.
You don't think the Dolphins would be interested in tunsil for their San Francisco round 1 and their own round 2?

Against teams with poor pass rushes. Put Bosa in there yesterday and I bet that game would've looked alot differently.

Dumping a pro bowl LT for guys that are avg at best?

Not a good move.

If you're going this route, then trade Tunsil, cut Howard and Christian if saving cap space is that important to you. Then draft Tunsil's replacement with those two 2nd rd picks and hope for the best. I dont think you really believe in this strategy.

Against teams with poor pass rushes. Put Bosa in there yesterday and I bet that game would've looked alot differently.
Howard didn’t play yesterday

Dumping a pro bowl LT for guys that are avg at best?
I think both Christian & Howard are better than avg & still improving. Remember Tunsil wasn’t a pro bowl player his 4th year & Howard hasn’t had the luxury to stay at one position.

I don’t want to get rid of Tunsil, but I don’t want to get rid of Howard. All options are on the table though

Howard didn’t play yesterday

I think both Christian & Howard are better than avg & still improving. Remember Tunsil wasn’t a pro bowl player his 4th year & Howard hasn’t had the luxury to stay at one position.

I don’t want to get rid of Tunsil, but I don’t want to get rid of Howard. All options are on the table though

I know but if he did play and Bosa played the game would've been much different. We see Christian/Howard much differently. Howard in particular was way over drafted and he's a journeyman OL as is Christian, in the Kendall Lamm mode. There's a reason Howard isn't going to have his 5th yr option renewed.

Look at how poor the Dolphins OL is tonight.

They thought they could just draft Eichenberg and Austin Jackson and replace Tunsil. That certainly didn't workout for Greir. Now Badboy/Others want to follow that model.

Good luck with this.

I could go either way with Howard, in fact, I wouldn’t have an issue with extending him as long as they stick him at LT and leave him there.

But Caserio isn’t re-upping Tunsil. That’s gonna be mighty expensive. And the fact that he’s not back yet tells me he’s probably gone anyway. The Watson stuff might not be resolved by draft day so at least get what you can for Tunsil and help accelerate this rebuild. If you do that and get the Watson mess cleared up, even better.

I could go either way with Howard, in fact, I wouldn’t have an issue with extending him as long as they stick him at LT and leave him there.

But Caserio isn’t re-upping Tunsil. That’s gonna be mighty expensive. And the fact that he’s not back yet tells me he’s probably gone anyway. The Watson stuff might not be resolved by draft day so at least get what you can for Tunsil and help accelerate this rebuild. If you do that and get the Watson mess cleared up, even better.

Caserio already extended Tunsil when he re-worked his contract this off-season.

Back