Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Week 11: Commanding Bazoombas in Houston

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Not gonna lie. This was the 1st CONCLUSIVE game in my eyes that Davis Mills looked defeated, confused and shell shocked.
I saw frustration.

Plays just weren’t there & he basically threw the ball away several times “in the direction” of a receiver.

They would look like “smart” plays if they weren’t so frequent.

Only “bad” decisions was holding the ball trying to make something happen, instead of just throwing it away “in the direction” of a receiver again. I can understand the frustration, but for what this team is, the smart play is to throw it away.

he’s not a playmaker. He’s not a clutch comeback kid. His only value to me is that he doesn’t make bad decisions giving the ball to the other team or taking unnecessary sacks.

He needs to be Henike (sp) or Daniel Jones until I’m ready to draft a QB.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
I saw frustration.

Plays just weren’t there & he basically threw the ball away several times “in the direction” of a receiver.

They would look like “smart” plays if they weren’t so frequent.

Only “bad” decisions was holding the ball trying to make something happen, instead of just throwing it away “in the direction” of a receiver again. I can understand the frustration, but for what this team is, the smart play is to throw it away.

he’s not a playmaker. He’s not a clutch comeback kid. His only value to me is that he doesn’t make bad decisions giving the ball to the other team or taking unnecessary sacks.

He needs to be Henike (sp) or Daniel Jones until I’m ready to draft a QB.
Wait a minute. He threw a Pick-6 today and leads the NFL with 11 INTs.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
I’m really not sold on Young nor Stroud. Both are products of ultra successful CFB programs and would in no way be ready to play survivor QB with the Texans. Offense or the defense have to become better next season b/c there just isn’t enough picks to fix both the way one would want to do. For me, the defense gets the nod.
Show me a qb in the last 10 years that wasn't. Its college.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Reporter asking the tough questions and Lovie got a little heated. Losing is not fun, especially when your team gets manhandled, embarrassed, and humiliated like they did today. You can not continue to do the same thing over and over with the same losing results. And not make some freaking changes. Example Mitch wasn’t getting it done for the Steelers and Coach Mike T benched him. They’re not a good team so you might as well see what another quarterback could do.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Reporter asking the tough questions and Lovie got a little heated. Losing is not fun, especially when your team gets manhandled, embarrassed, and humiliated like they did today. You can not continue to do the same thing over and over with the same losing results. And not make some freaking changes. Example Mitch wasn’t getting it done for the Steelers and Coach Mike T benched him. They’re not a good team so you might as well see what another quarterback could do.

And they're not doing much better with the new QB.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I hear you talking. Everyone says that until someone drafts 1 and he's a franchise qb and a team is stuck with nobody. Its a hard choice,no doubt, but its the singular most important position in all sports
Agreed it's the singular most important decision in sports.

It wouldn't be a hard call for me. In fact to make sure I got my desired results, I would run it back again with Lovie/Pep/Mills.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Agreed it's the singular most important decision in sports.

It wouldn't be a hard call for me. In fact to make sure I got my desired results, I would run it back again with Lovie/Pep/Mills.
The worse thing you can do is have poor qb play. You will have players on expedia early and often. The Texans are in position in my opinion of giving the team hope with a qb and still getting key pieces towards the defense.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller

Our situation is different than the Steelers. They already drafted a QB but had the vet there to start. Wasn't working out so bring the rook in. We're not really looking to see what Kyle Allen can do, and the Texans don't seem to be interested in winning anyway. So Mills, Allen, Driskel, who cares?

My boy Opt doesn’t believe in the quarterbacks in the 23 draft. I think that’s why he left that position out.
Honestly, I'd think I might rather wait for Caleb Williams. That would mean another year of suck city, but does anybody really think they're going to do much winning next year, especially if they keep the same staff in place?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The worse thing you can do is have poor qb play. You will have players on expedia early and often. The Texans are in position in my opinion of giving the team hope with a qb and still getting key pieces towards the defense.
Hope in what? Winning a few more regular season games?

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Hope in what? Winning a few more regular season games?
Being half-arse does one thing and one thing only….pushes the team away from a much better QB class.
Williams and Maye have better ceilings than Young and Stroud.

So, defense is my priority with much higher Day 1 impact players available. I believe Carter would have a bigger impact than either Young or Stroud. There should be enough picks, if they trade the #1 pick, to pickup a top rated Center, OG, TE, and RB.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Championship. Man you’re tripping. Bringing in or drafting a quarterback does not shorten crap. Staying stagnant does.

And here you go again with this who is or isn’t worthy, like you’re this expert talent evaluator. I’ll trust Nick Caserio on the draft, he’s done pretty darn good in that department. Therefore, if he believe one of those guys are worthy. Draft him
When you draft a QB history says you have about a 7-8 yr window to win a championship before they start taking up too much of the cap. If you spend 2-3 yrs rebuilding your team around the QB so you can compete for a championship that only leaves you 5 years or so to compete for championships. If you spend next yrs draft and the 2024 draft when you draft your QB then you have a longer championship window than if you draft your QB 1st. The only reason to draft a QB 1st is if there's a Manning or Elway available and there's not one in this draft. Although as you weakly put out there I'm not an expert. Although I think the experts would agree with me on this opinion.

When you have to go to the you're not an expert (none of us here are, we just know what we see after watching football for 50 years.) Then you know you've lost the debate.

Reactions: JB

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I am a Nick Foles fan but there has to be a reason that with several teams he has been relegated to back up Qb with little to no playing time. Nick Foles has familarity with Frank Reich and he still was a back up Qb. Heck not only did Frank Reich not go with Nick Foles he demoted him to third string. It is likely that Nick Foles will retire after this season rather than possibly being back up on another team yet again. If Frank Reich would not even trust Nick Foles enough to play him to try and save his job than I can't see Nick being a fit on any other team. I would love to see Nick Foles resurrected to greatness on our team but I don't see that taking place. I would rather we draft a promising young Qb. We shall see what happens.
Foles would be added in addition to drafting a young QB in 2024.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Championship. Man you’re tripping. Bringing in or drafting a quarterback does not shorten crap. Staying stagnant does.

And here you go again with this who is or isn’t worthy, like you’re this expert talent evaluator. I’ll trust Nick Caserio on the draft, he’s done pretty darn good in that department. Therefore, if he believe one of those guys are worthy. Draft him
What if he doesn't get to make the decision whether to draft or not draft a QB?

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
You keep acquiring QBs until you find the one to lead your team. The question isn’t so much whether to roll with Mills another season or not. The question should be, “Is there a legitimate competition at QB?”

The Texans basically said there was an open competition everywhere except QB this past offseason. They should have added competition at the position. Whether that is drafting a guy like Zappe or signing a FA with a realistic chance of starting.

The Seahawks added Matt Flynn and drafted Russell Wilson the same offseason. Wilson beat out the FA addition in a training camp battle. Again this offseason, the Seahawks had Geno Smith and Drew Lock compete for the QB job. Geno looks better than he ever has after earning the job. The Texans didn’t make Mills earn his job. Don’t be surprised when you don’t see progress.

You keep acquiring QBs until you find the one to lead your team. The question isn’t so much whether to roll with Mills another season or not. The question should be, “Is there a legitimate competition at QB?”

The Texans basically said there was an open competition everywhere except QB this past offseason. They should have added competition at the position. Whether that is drafting a guy like Zappe or signing a FA with a realistic chance of starting.

The Seahawks added Matt Flynn and drafted Russell Wilson the same offseason. Wilson beat out the FA addition in a training camp battle. Again this offseason, the Seahawks had Geno Smith and Drew Lock compete for the QB job. Geno looks better than he ever has after earning the job. The Texans didn’t make Mills earn his job. Don’t be surprised when you don’t see progress.
Not entirely true. The Texans brought in Kyle Allen, who is not a LT NFL starter but does have starter experience. Allen isn't nothing. However, you were right in that Mills was basically annointed the starter without a real competition.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Not entirely true. The Texans brought in Kyle Allen, who is not a LT NFL starter but does have starter experience. Allen isn't nothing. However, you were right in that Mills was basically annointed the starter without a real competition.
Adding Allen was fine. Not giving him an opportunity to win the job was not. There were reports in camp he was looking better than Mills. If it were a competition we would have seen Allen more in preseason competing for the job.

Earl34

Hall of Fame

I got it. With that beard and his patient approach. Lovie is not Moses leading the Texans. He's actually Job. Only Job could have the patience to stoically watch an NFL offense have ONE first down in a half and not go nuts.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone

RJ, you assume they were trying to win like the Seahawks were. I think with this talent and dead money, NC was just trying to push for Mills to get games and experience so he knows whether there was something to those last 5 games in 2021 for Mills. The answer is now clear, so I do believe they should let Allen play a bit just to keep the morale up. Big question left is, draft a QB in 2023 or get a FA bridge and draft in 2024. I actually have no issue if this was the strategy. Sucks that 2022 has been largely unwatchable, sometimes the defense getting trucked, other times the offense so inept. Lovie is right, the losses each have a story!

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Honestly, I'd think I might rather wait for Caleb Williams. That would mean another year of suck city, but does anybody really think they're going to do much winning next year, especially if they keep the same staff in place?
I agree.

Two things -

If we drafted a QB or brought a veteran like a Minshew/White/Insert Name here that may get us another 4-5 wins. Maybe more. Our record may be 6-11 or 7-10. Isn’t that a losing record still? Wouldn’t we still suck? True - we would suck less but still suck.

My point is if we are going to suck go all in. Do it right. Go and be #1.

Lastly -

Caleb Williams is drawing comparisons to Patrick Mahomes from Jordan Palmer brother of Carson Palmer. I don’t buy in on how true that is because Mahomes has Reid, but I don’t hear the current crop of QBs being positively compared to any other NFL QBs.

I think Jordan Palmer has worked with Josh Allen, Patrick Mahomes, and a few other big name QBs.

OptimisticTexan

I agree.

Two things -

If we drafted a QB or brought a veteran like a Minshew/White/Insert Name here that may get us another 4-5 wins. Maybe more. Our record may be 6-11 or 7-10. Isn’t that a losing record still? Wouldn’t we still suck? True - we would suck less but still suck.

Lastly -

Caleb Williams is drawing comparisons to Patrick Mahomes from Jordan Palmer brother of Carson Palmer. I don’t buy in on how true that is because Mahomes has Reid, but I don’t hear the current crop of QBs being positively compared to any other NFL QBs.

I think Jordan Palmer has worked with Josh Allen, Patrick Mahomes, and a few other big name QBs.
Don’t sleep on Drake Maye, North Carolina….this guys looking to be pretty special come the 2024 NFL Draft.

I agree.

Two things -

Lastly -

This team would not be 6-11 or 7-10 with Minshew or White. It would be the same or nearly the same that it is right now and what it's going to be. The team as a whole sucks, talent wise, at all the skill positions on offense save for Pierce and has a bad OL - particularly the interior and crappy TEs. Mills is struggling in large part to the crappy supporting cast. A 2nd stringer like Minshew wouldn't change the needle much at all unless the variables change next year. This includes the coach and OC.

Porky

Hall of Fame
Bryce Young is a poor man's Deshaun Watson. If he was 20 lbs heavier and 3-4 inches taller, he would be the unquestioned #1 pick in the draft.

As for me, I think measurables are way over-rated. I'd take Young with the 1st pick AFTER canning the entire brain-dead trust of the Texans, from GM to water boy. To me, he is the best QB in the draft. If I'm Cal and Mama, I'd clean house, admit I don't know what the hell I'm doing, find a REAL freaking GM, and let him choose the HC, and let the HC choose the assistants.

If they bring this crew back, I might pass on a QB at 1-1, and possibly with the Browns pick as well.

Even in that case, I'm taking a shot in the middle rounds. Hell...I might take Young AND one of these mid rounders. I like Max Duggan, Anthony Richardson, or Michael Pennix for a guy in the mid-rounds with good upside to start. I'm not a scout, so not exactly sure where those guys slot, but generally 3rd-4th round is what I am thinking. Another interesting guy is Hendon Hooker, who tore his ACL and his draft stock will most assuredly drop. I'm not sure where he will slot, but if he is there around the 4th or better yet...5th round, I take a flyer on him. 2023 is then a redshirt year and he can sit and learn from a signed vet or hell, even Kyle Allen. He's got major upside once his knee injury heals.

OptimisticTexan

Bryce Young is a poor man's Deshaun Watson. If he was 20 lbs heavier and 3-4 inches taller, he would be the unquestioned #1 pick in the draft.

As for me, I think measurables are way over-rated. I'd take Young with the 1st pick AFTER canning the entire brain-dead trust of the Texans, from GM to water boy. To me, he is the best QB in the draft. If I'm Cal and Mama, I'd clean house, admit I don't know what the hell I'm doing, find a REAL freaking GM, and let him choose the HC, and let the HC choose the assistants.

If they bring this crew back, I might pass on a QB at 1-1, and possibly with the Browns pick as well.

Even in that case, I'm taking a shot in the middle rounds. Hell...I might take Young AND one of these mid rounders. I like Max Duggan, Anthony Richardson, or Michael Pennix for a guy in the mid-rounds with good upside to start. I'm not a scout, so not exactly sure where those guys slot, but generally 3rd-4th round is what I am thinking. Another interesting guy is Hendon Hooker, who tore his ACL and his draft stock will most assuredly drop. I'm not sure where he will slot, but if he is there around the 4th or better yet...5th round, I take a flyer on him. 2023 is then a redshirt year and he can sit and learn from a signed vet or hell, even Kyle Allen. He's got major upside once his knee injury heals.
More like Watson’s Mini-Me or Sammy Davis, Jr’s love child. I actually like Hendon Hooker and Max Duggan as far as 2023 QB’s go. I believe both would be available in the appropriate rounds (without reaching) and bring a lot of upside for the teams willing to invest.

More like Watson’s Mini-Me or Sammy Davis, Jr’s love child. I actually like Hendon Hooker and Max Duggan as far as 2023 QB’s go. I believe both would be available in the appropriate rounds (without reaching) and bring a lot of upside for the teams willing to invest.
This. Too early to make a conclusion, but I kind of like the idea of trading down a spot or two from #1, selecting Will Anderson (hopefully) and the Cleveland lottery selections, and going with a high-ceiling QB with the #1 overall trade down pick. I personally haven't given up on Mills completely, but certainly have in 2022. Let the best man win in 2023 with a revamped Dline and possible a guy like Carter or true WR1 opposite the victorious QB. I just don't know if I could get over the dwarfish Bryce Yound being the signal caller here. Certainly, smaller QBs (<6'0) have an can succeed (i.e. Russell Wilson) but it's pretty damn rare.

Last edited:

JRingo

Rookie
Our situation is different than the Steelers. They already drafted a QB but had the vet there to start. Wasn't working out so bring the rook in. We're not really looking to see what Kyle Allen can do, and the Texans don't seem to be interested in winning anyway. So Mills, Allen, Driskel, who cares?

I wasn’t impressed with Williams when he was at Oklahoma. Didn’t someone beat him out at Oklahoma? He’s definitely had some impressive games at USC.. I prefer Maye over him personally…

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
I wasn’t impressed with Williams when he was at Oklahoma. Didn’t someone beat him out at Oklahoma? He’s definitely had some impressive games at USC.. I prefer Maye over him personally…
The thing for me is if you compared Young and Stroud to next years QBs it is that Young and Stroud are not as good as next years. Its the opposite. It’s more of this year is OK, but next year is going to be definitely better.

It doesn’t matter to me as who is drafted because it seems even the 2nd or 3rd pick are still going to be better than Young and Stroud.

Porky

Hall of Fame
This. Too early to make a conclusion, but I kind of like the idea of trading down a spot or two from #1, selecting Will Anderson (hopefully) and the Cleveland lottery selections, and going with a high-ceiling QB with the #1 overall trade down pick. I personally haven't given up on Mills completely, but certainly have in 2022. Let the best man win in 2023 with a revamped Dline and possible a guy like Carter or true WR1 opposite the victorious QB. I just don't know if I could get over the dwarfish Bryce Yound being the signal caller here. Certainly, smaller QBs (<6'0) have an can succeed (i.e. Russell Wilson) but it's pretty damn rare.
Young is listed at 6 ft even. Yes, I know they probably fudge an inch or so, but he's no shorter than Drew Brees or Russell Wilson. Or Tua for that matter that's now lighting it up in Miami. Or if you want to go back a bit further, Doug Flutie had good success as well. He's athletic enough to find his throwing lanes imo, but yes ideally, he'd have a late growth spurt of at least 3 inches!

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Kyler Murray can run rings around Davis Mills all day, every day. He's not my favorite NFL QB, but it's not exactly an insult to compare a guy to Kyler Murray's skillset.
I don’t know why you brought Mills into the conversation. Nothing said about him.

I just disagreed on saying he is a poor man’s Watson.

Young will face the same difficulty as Murray in regards to being vertically challenged.

Young is listed at 6 ft even. Yes, I know they probably fudge an inch or so, but he's no shorter than Drew Brees or Russell Wilson. Or Tua for that matter that's now lighting it up in Miami. Or if you want to go back a bit further, Doug Flutie had good success as well. He's athletic enough to find his throwing lanes imo, but yes ideally, he'd have a late growth spurt of at least 3 inches!
It's fudged by probably a good 2 inches from what I can tell. Who know is Brees was or not (listed as 6'0), but he was a pure play pocket passer. I can't really make an intelligent judgement until i really get into the tape, but Young certainly doesn't have ideal size off the top

Last edited:

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
That’s a weird way of saying Young is a poor man’s Kyler Murray.
I think both of those are off. IMO, Young is a better dropback passer than either were coming out. He scrambles and moves to pass more than the designed runs that Watson and Murray use. My only concern is Bryce Young's being both short and slight. Well, there is not playing as well in 2022 versus 2021 thing also.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
I think both of those are off. IMO, Young is a better dropback passer than either were coming out. He scrambles and moves to pass more than the designed runs that Watson and Murray use. My only concern is Bryce Young's being both short and slight. Well, there is not playing as well in 2022 versus 2021 thing also.
I'm not into mock drafts or evaluating college talent. However, based on the description. How does Young compare to Teddy Bridgewater?