Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Week 10: Giant Gabongas in New York

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
I would rather beat the Cowboys than the Browns if I had to pick one.
Any other time in history (probably future too) I would agree with you.

But with the intentional hype for that game. The world watching to see DW wanting so much revenge.

It would be pure gold to see him lose and at least a short time the Texans look brilliant and to get in his head that his chance of revenge, with the league watching.... was failure.

It's always a good day to see the Cowboys lose.... but.... to see DW fail against us, his first time back... that to me would be better.

Yes, undoubtedly it would have the asterisk of him being rusty.... but still it would buy time for the Texans to improve and then... hopefully he is never able to beat us for the rest of his career without any asterisks.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Any other time in history (probably future too) I would agree with you.

But with the intentional hype for that game. The world watching to see DW wanting so much revenge.

It would be pure gold to see him lose and at least a short time the Texans look brilliant and to get in his head that his chance of revenge, with the league watching.... was failure.

It's always a good day to see the Cowboys lose.... but.... to see DW fail against us, his first time back... that to me would be better.

Yes, undoubtedly it would have the asterisk of him being rusty.... but still it would buy time for the Texans to improve and then... hopefully he is never able to beat us for the rest of his career without any asterisks.
AND it would have the added bonus of improving our draft pick

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Brisset's record against the Texans is :hankpalm:

Watson's possible rust might be an advantage to the Texans. :brando:

It's best to just move on.
The guy already netted the Texans a boat load of picks.

@steelbtexan gets himself ridded of a QB he didn't like; one he never thought can take the Texans anywhere.

Big win already.

But the Browns can just play the Titans' card.

They can simply run the ball down the Texans' throat.

The Texans are already in full tanking mode.

Wishing for a win is counter-productive anyway. :brando:

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
Brisset's record against the Texans is :hankpalm:

Watson's possible rust might be an advantage to the Texans. :brando:

It's best to just move on.
The guy already netted the Texans a boat load of picks.

@steelbtexan gets himself ridded of a QB he didn't like; one he never thought can take the Texans anywhere.

Big win already.

But the Browns can just play the Titans' card.

They can simply run the ball down the Texans' throat.

The Texans are already in full tanking mode.

Wishing for a win is counter-productive anyway. :brando:
Only counter productive if you are a fan of first round picks.

I'm a fan of the Texans and always want the win, even if I am realistic and rarely expect it.

Yeah, sure, if the #1 pick were the guaranteed solution to fix a team...then I could understand the rush to the bottom... but there are teams constantly at the bottom picking high and it takes forever for them to do anything.

I may not have 20 more years of building through high value first rounds. I can however enjoy the win they get "today" no matter how "meaningless".

IF #1 over all is your superbowl, good for you I guess... but my faith in the ability to use that #1 overall is about as high as the Texans odds if the Texans were gifted a playoff appearance by some new unknown NFL lottery system this season.

To me, #1 is a nice consolation prize for failure, but I prefer to see my team win over tanking.

Mangler

Toro de España
The only one of those I really want to be a W is against Cleveland.
Same here. The sad reality is that our putrid defense will make Nick Chubb look like a Barry Sanders/Marshawn Lynch hybrid, rushing for at least 3 TDs. Derapist will probably walk away with an 80-90% completion rate, 5-6 TDs.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Same here. The sad reality is that our putrid defense will make Nick Chubb look like a Barry Sanders/Marshawn Lynch hybrid, rushing for at least 3 TDs. Derapist will probably walk away with an 80-90% completion rate, 5-6 TDs.
Right. Chubb is who they have to worry about. He’s likely to get 400 yards against the Texans. The QB isn’t going to have to do much.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Only counter productive if you are a fan of first round picks.

I'm a fan of the Texans and always want the win, even if I am realistic and rarely expect it.

Yeah, sure, if the #1 pick were the guaranteed solution to fix a team...then I could understand the rush to the bottom... but there are teams constantly at the bottom picking high and it takes forever for them to do anything.

I may not have 20 more years of building through high value first rounds. I can however enjoy the win they get "today" no matter how "meaningless".

IF #1 over all is your superbowl, good for you I guess... but my faith in the ability to use that #1 overall is about as high as the Texans odds if the Texans were gifted a playoff appearance by some new unknown NFL lottery system this season.

To me, #1 is a nice consolation prize for failure, but I prefer to see my team win over tanking.
If you want a win, I would think a win against the Titans is the most wanted by the overall Texans fan base.
After that, a good number of fans likely want a win against the Cowgirls.

In the race for NFL incompetency there are now nine 3-win teams. Raiders the only 2 win team and you know all about the Texans and their 1 win. And the Raiders had to beat the Texans just to get to two wins. The next three games are against the Commanders, Dolphins and Browns in that order. After that it's the Cowboys, Chiefs and three division games in a row to end the season.

I'm not sure I see more than two wins out of what's left of our schedule, if that. Maybe we can win four games this year, just like we've done for two years running now. LOL
I'm guessing only 1 win for the rest of the season and skeptical of that...TBH, I'm not disappointed in the W/L column.

I could see Chubb running through our D like it's Candyland but I really hope Derrick doesn't find comfort in the gaping holes in the backend of the defense. This is the one game that I hope Lovie does some different/disguising looks up front with bringing pressure.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
It's the draft choice that matters in the Cleveland game. Beating them, or losing to them, either way is a wash as far as the draft choice is concerned. I suppose we could shoot for another tie. I'd rather the Raiders win a few more so that beating Cleveland doesn't hurt us.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I'm guessing only 1 win for the rest of the season and skeptical of that...TBH, I'm not disappointed in the W/L column.
Me either, I predicted 4 wins I figured they would beat the bears/Jags twice and steal a game from the Colts/Titans or Redskins. I really didn't want them to be picking 1st because I didn't want Cal to be pressured into drafting a QB in this draft.

Texan Asylum

Hall of Fame
If you want a win, I would think a win against the Titans is the most wanted by the overall Texans fan base.
After that, a good number of fans likely want a win against the Cowgirls.
You are definitely right in regards to the Tacks, and normally I would agree with you about the girls, but in this case, I’d pick the win against the Browns and their chief turd over the win against Dallas if given the choice to choose just one more.

I'm not sure if there's even a player Worth the number 1 pick that makes other teams want to trade up with us
Could be a 'trade down' type of draft, and I would be perfectly fine with Caesario trading #1 and getting an additional #1 or high #2/3 and address the areas of biggest need: C, WR1, DL (everywhere) OLB, S — and perhaps using the extra pick to take another late 1st/Day 2 QB to compete with Mills. Going to be interesting to see what Caesario does.

Doc108

Waterboy
Wow... 14 Qb pressures and 12 from inside. Green and Q getting WORKED over the past 3 games hard.
If anyone’s curious IOL stats from yesterday according to PFF

Scott Q: 5 pressures 1 sack

Green: 3 pressures and 0 sacks (but 1 holding penalty)

Cann: 4 pressures 1 sack

Q has been a disaster this year. He’s legitimately good for 1 sack a game it’s awful.

Q has been a disaster this year. He’s legitimately good for 1 sack a game it’s awful.
Thanks for the breakdown. I guess JB was right - Q got worked the hardest. But that Green penalty was killer. Mills orchestrates a great drive (back-to-back) puts points on the board with a TD pass only to be called back by a Green hold. Then on the next play (or 2nd next play, I can;t remember), Green gives up a pressure which abets Mills terrible endzone pick. ugh... Didn't realize Cann was also part of this slop called our interior OL. Can run block ok but can't pass protect to save their lives.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame

Yeah. It's impossible for anyone to play QB with the line issues we've had this year, especially right up the gut.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Could be a 'trade down' type of draft, and I would be perfectly fine with Caesario trading #1 and getting an additional #1 or high #2/3 and address the areas of biggest need: C, WR1, DL (everywhere) OLB, S — and perhaps using the extra pick to take another late 1st/Day 2 QB to compete with Mills. Going to be interesting to see what Caesario does.
Agreed, but OLB is not near the need that ILB is
and it's Caserio

Yeah. It's impossible for anyone to play QB with the line issues we've had this year, especially right up the gut.
Exactly. That's why I keep saying Mills is actually doing ok considering (definitely not great, but 'ok'). Also probably a big reason why the offense has been so inconsistent because the pass blocking is so inconsistent. Ain't no rookie QB that's going to thrive with this interior pass protection and Pep Hamilton's offense. Why I still think there's a fair chance Mills can succeed as a starter... but would prefer hedging with another young QB with potential in case it becomes clear is not starter quality. Unless there's a clear #1 QB can't miss prospect that is, because the worst setback an organization can make is to draft a lottery QB that becomes mediocre - can set back your organization 3-4 years. Are Stroud or Young worth it?

Will start evaluating the players after college season. I wonder if Caesario has made his mind up yet?

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
There you go. Grab an OLB and ILB. Fortunately like RB, good linebackers can frequently be found in the middle rounds.
Between Harris, Wallow, Hansen and Hewitt I think they believe they are set at OLB unless someone spectacular drops. Unless there is a coaching change that switches to a 3-4 base that is... and then it's start all over again

Between Harris, Wallow, Hansen and Hewitt I think they believe they are set at OLB unless someone spectacular drops. Unless there is a coaching change that switches to a 3-4 base that is... and then it's start all over again
But are Wallow Hansen and Hewitt any good though?

Doc108

Waterboy
Thanks for the breakdown. I guess JB was right - Q got worked the hardest. But that Green penalty was killer. Mills orchestrates a great drive (back-to-back) puts points on the board with a TD pass only to be called back by a Green hold. Then on the next play (or 2nd next play, I can;t remember), Green gives up a pressure which abets Mills terrible endzone pick. ugh... Didn't realize Cann was also part of this slop called our interior OL. Can run block ok but can't pass protect to save their lives.
In their defense three weeks in a row they’ve gone up against 3 top 10 defensive tackles in the NFL in the last 3 weeks. Not excusable but it’s been a real tough stretch.

In their defense three weeks in a row they’ve gone up against 3 top 10 defensive tackles in the NFL in the last 3 weeks. Not excusable but it’s been a real tough stretch.
100%. But the severity of underperformance is simply unacceptable. It's one thing to put up a fight and lose the battle, quite another to be completely dominated. Need a new Center for sure - probably Day 2 and another guard. Can only hope Green gets a whole lot better for now. No reason to think he can't. Just disappointing he wasn't more NFL ready in pass protection considering his draft position. Caesario passed on a a whole bunch of better players in the process.

Doc108

Waterboy
100%. But the severity of underperformance is simply unacceptable. It's one thing to put up a fight and lose the battle, quite another to be completely dominated. Need a new Center for sure - probably Day 2 and another guard. Can only hope Green gets a whole lot better for now. No reason to think he can't. Just disappointing he wasn't more NFL ready in pass protection considering his draft position. Caesario passed on a a whole bunch of better players in the process.
Its strange, he always was considered better against the run but he didn’t give up a single sack his senior season playing in the SEC. Admittedly I didn’t watch his games but weird that he has struggled so much there

Highest I've ever seen a website ranking the Texans Oline (before the Giants game) at no. 12 for at least two weeks.

Lol. Pass protection A-?? I don't know how these guys rank or what formula they use, but pass protection was definitely not an A- last game. Maybe from the LT/RT, but not the interior of the line. It was bad. But then again, the Giants blitz a lot so maybe they take that into consideration... Still, I trust what I saw more than what this says (see Doc's post above)

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Lol. Pass protection A-?? I don't know how these guys rank or what formula they use, but pass protection was definitely not an A- last game. Maybe from the LT/RT, but not the interior of the line. It was bad. But then again, the Giants blitz a lot so maybe they take that into consideration... Still, I trust what I saw more than what this says (see Doc's post above)
That was before the Giants game.

Also before the Giants game, PFF had the Texans Oline at 21st.

That was before the Giants game.

Also before the Giants game, PFF had the Texans Oline at 21st.

Regardless, what is clear is that the interior of the OL has not done well against some of the better defensive opposing DL out there. Remember, Jonathan Simmons was questionable to play in the Titans game and they gave up like 10 jail breaks. Hargreaves and Lawrence... no match. Only Tunsil and Howard have been consistent. OL needs changes in the middle... Center 10000%, hope for the best from Green and Cann is not a LT piece.

Reactions: JB

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Still, a good OL coach should be able to work with one out of 5 questionable OLmen. Upgrade center, sure. But with what's already invested, I don't want to spend too much.

I want to focus on skill positions & front 7. If a badass center falls into our lap at the end of the 2nd day of the draft, or the third, great. But Friday & Saturday the focus needs to be on skill positions & front 7.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Still, a good OL coach should be able to work with one out of 5 questionable OLmen. Upgrade center, sure. But with what's already invested, I don't want to spend too much.

I want to focus on skill positions & front 7. If a badass center falls into our lap at the end of the 2nd day of the draft, or the third, great. But Friday & Saturday the focus needs to be on skill positions & front 7.
The coming draft is supposed to have plenty of (capable) Centers.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Those rankings are a joke
even if they are ignoring previous weeks

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Regardless, what is clear is that the interior of the OL has not done well against some of the better defensive opposing DL out there. Remember, Jonathan Simmons was questionable to play in the Titans game and they gave up like 10 jail breaks. Hargreaves and Lawrence... no match. Only Tunsil and Howard have been consistent. OL needs changes in the middle... Center 10000%, hope for the best from Green and Cann is not a LT piece.
You're not going to have everything.
Pressure does not mean the QB is allowed to throw an INT.
In fact, that is how a QB is often measured; by how well he functions under durress.