Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Week 10: Cleveland You Have A Problem

Earl34

Hall of Fame
I wanted one guy to be responsible for the final calls. No more of the committee BS. So yes, I was happy that if there was failure (There was) we knew exactly who that failure fell upon.

BTW, Hopkins wasn't BOB's call, that was an ownership call.
So, BOB couldn't have made some calls then inform ownership that Hopkins doesn't have any leverage and trading him for less than he is worth is not in the best interest of the T-E-A-M. He will keep working on a trade, but they have to get a first rounder in return? Ownership might not understand football, but they understand value and ROI.

Also, BOB goes to Hopkins and tells him they can't renegotiate his contract right now, but if he cannot wait, then find a team willing to give up a first round pick and he will make the trade happen. Supposedly, no one was willing to give up a first for Hopkins. If that is true, Hopkins is his own agent, realizes this and maybe returns with a different attitude or proposal.

What's done is done. But I'm not convinced BOB did not have a significant role in this idiotic trade. Even if he was just being a good soldier, he could have done a better job navigating this mess between ownership and the player.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
OK, Cal called OB to his office....informed he had had enough of Hopkins and wanted him on the next flight out of Houston. Reiterating, damm the return.....just get him and his baby momma's out of the club house.

OB walked out of Cal's office with hs tail between his legs and few sniffles knowing his next call was to Arizona for his next prison shower re-enactment.
Not Cal

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
So, BOB couldn't have made some calls then inform ownership that Hopkins doesn't have any leverage and trading him for less than he is worth is not in the best interest of the T-E-A-M. He will keep working on a trade, but they have to get a first rounder in return? Ownership might not understand football, but they understand value and ROI.

Also, BOB goes to Hopkins and tells him they can't renegotiate his contract right now, but if he cannot wait, then find a team willing to give up a first round pick and he will make the trade happen. Supposedly, no one was willing to give up a first for Hopkins. If that is true, Hopkins is his own agent, realizes this and maybe returns with a different attitude or proposal.

What's done is done. But I'm not convinced BOB did not have a significant role in this idiotic trade. Even if he was just being a good soldier, he could have done a better job navigating this mess between ownership and the player.
If ownership only understood or for that matter cared about ROI/Value. Not Texans Worthy is what they care about. Image is everything.

The 2nd paragraph is what BOB should've done since he was being forced to trade Hopkins. Who knows, maybe he did this, Rumor has it Hopkins was on the block for over a caleneder yr. This is just another case of the hands off NOT Texans Worthy ownership meddling. What kind of GM candidates are they going to get with their QB having more power than the GM and ownership making the GM work under these kinds of constraints?

This bothers me more than the Hopkins trade because it's systemic and it's not going to change as long as the McNair's own the franchise.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You could make the argument that Belichick isn't that good of a GM. He's good at fleecing teams but he has had some huge misses in the draft.
He also is the greatest gameday coach and has the best prepared teams in my lifetime. This helps makeup for a few bad picks.

Plus BB doesn't have to work under the same constraints as the Texans GM's have too.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club

So OB goes to Cal and tells him that it is not feasible to trade DHop at that time, and Janice tells OB to get DHop out now or be gone himself

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Hopkins was rumored to be on the block for over a yr. He took the best deal he could get.
I don’t believe this rumor. Ron Rivera is on record that he didn’t know Hopkins was on the trading block and was surprise to hear of the trade.
I don't believe this rumor as well. The Eagles GM also said he had no idea Hopkins was on the market. Also, this type of stuff typically leaks to the press.

Edit: Correction, the Eagles knew. I remember listening to a radio interview with a GM, and they were claiming they didn't know Hopkins was on the market. For some reason, I thought it was the Eagles... but it wasn't. Forgot which team that was.

Last edited:

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Yeah I'm not buying that Hopkins was on the market for a year. There would have been some scrub team out there with to much money and some extra picks that was looking to make a splash that would have parted with a 1st. Hell GB or the Pats could have kept their franchise QBs happy for the next 5 years if they had said "You wanted help well how does DeAndre Hopkins sound for help?" I'm also not buying this argument that ownership said get rid of him because he's not "Texan's worthy". First the McNair's never said anything at any time about a player being "Texan's worthy." That was Matt Schaub talking about Ndamukong Suh.

Can't really blame Schaub either, I mean Suh did kick him in the groin so I don't think I'd want him on my team either.

Second its not like Hopkins just had these kids so if ownership had a problem with it why did it all of a sudden come out now? Are we saying they wanted rid of him all along but all the GMs before OB stood up to them and wouldn't trade Hopkins? Huh?

Finally this whole "baby mama" thing was coming from Michael Irvin of all people. Great player but he's also, shall we say, prone to exaggeration. I mean the guy still talks about the cowboys as though its the 90s. And lets not forget the now infamous "I had to sit my drink down" about Brady going to Dallas. Yeah I'd believe Irvin about as fast as I'd believe the National Enquirer.

My opinion, Hopkins wanted more money, OB knew there wouldn't be any money because he was planning on handing out some big dollar contracts, they argued, Hopkins had the locker room on his side, OB felt that he could ship the problem away and started going down the list of football teams in alphabetical order to call about a trade and of course didn't get past the first one.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Yeah I'm not buying that Hopkins was on the market for a year. There would have been some scrub team out there with to much money and some extra picks that was looking to make a splash that would have parted with a 1st. Hell GB or the Pats could have kept their franchise QBs happy for the next 5 years if they had said "You wanted help well how does DeAndre Hopkins sound for help?" I'm also not buying this argument that ownership said get rid of him because he's not "Texan's worthy". First the McNair's never said anything at any time about a player being "Texan's worthy." That was Matt Schaub talking about Ndamukong Suh.

Can't really blame Schaub either, I mean Suh did kick him in the groin so I don't think I'd want him on my team either.

Second its not like Hopkins just had these kids so if ownership had a problem with it why did it all of a sudden come out now? Are we saying they wanted rid of him all along but all the GMs before OB stood up to them and wouldn't trade Hopkins? Huh?

Finally this whole "baby mama" thing was coming from Michael Irvin of all people. Great player but he's also, shall we say, prone to exaggeration. I mean the guy still talks about the cowboys as though its the 90s. And lets not forget the now infamous "I had to sit my drink down" about Brady going to Dallas. Yeah I'd believe Irvin about as fast as I'd believe the National Enquirer.

My opinion, Hopkins wanted more money, OB knew there wouldn't be any money because he was planning on handing out some big dollar contracts, they argued, Hopkins had the locker room on his side, OB felt that he could ship the problem away and started going down the list of football teams in alphabetical order to call about a trade and of course didn't get past the first one.
Bell Eve what y'all want

The trading of Hopkins was an ownership mandate and BOB took the best deal he could get with teams knowing Hopkins wanted a new contract.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
If you had to pull from the 90s, then my point stands. Jimmy, Belichick, Parcells. Who else? It's a bad idea. Especially when a HC hasn't accomplished much or is inexperienced. By the way, didn't you advocate for O'Brien to have control of personnel sooner than last year? You still think that would have been a good idea?
Jimmy Johnson wasn't the GM in Dallas & fell on his face in Miami

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Bell Eve what y'all want

The trading of Hopkins was an ownership mandate and BOB took the best deal he could get with teams knowing Hopkins wanted a new contract.
That's a mighty fine set of facts you got there. You do know that your slant is no more confirmed than the slant of others. One fact that cannot be slanted........teams stating they had no idea Hopkins was being made available.

My slant, OB being the control freak he's proved to be was not happy with Hopkins asking for more money. He knew Hops had a lot of pull in the locker room and didn't want to lose his 'king' image to the team. He decided to ditch Hopkins and sold his slant to the McNair's so they would be good with the trade. Emotional OB then set out to try and hurt Hopkins by sending him to a team he thought was going to be plenty bad. When Hopkins and the Cardinals shot out of the gate strong and better than the Texans, OB started his Operation Bad Press campaign on Hopkins to shift the spotlight off his "stupid ducking trade" moniker and onto Hopkins being a bad person and locker room cancer. I'd say it was this stupid ducking trade that got his arse canned more than just about anything else.

Even Ol'Cal drew the line at being an incompetent NFL laughing stock who got hosed yet again in another one-sided trade.

Last edited:

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Re-watching the QB draw play.

IMO, I don't think the playcall was specifically for a QB draw, but DW did have that option. And IMO, he made a good call. The short middle was wide open and should have been an easy TD for Watson. This is what Watson sees at the top of his drop, a big a$$ lane to easily prance right in. He needs to learn Scharp and Zach get pushed around much too easily.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
That's a mighty fine set of facts you got there. You do know that your slant is no more confirmed than the slant of others. One fact that cannot be slanted........teams stating they had no idea Hopkins was being made available.
Don’t forget Stefon Diggs wanted a new contract & was acquired for a 1st round pick

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

My slant, OB being the control freak he's proved to be was not happy with Hopkins asking for more money. He knew Hops had a lot of pull in the locker room and didn't want to lose his 'king' image to the team. He decided to ditch Hopkins and sold his slant to the McNair's so they would be good with the trade. Emotional OB then set out to try and hurt Hopkins by sending him to a team he thought was going to be plenty bad. When Hopkins and the Cardinals shot out of the gate strong and better than the Texans, OB started his Operation Bad Press campaign on Hopkins to shift the spotlight off his "stupid ducking trade" moniker and onto Hopkins being a bad person and locker room cancer. I'd say it was this stupid ducking trade that got his arse canned more than just about anything else.

Even Ol'Cal drew the line at being an incompetent NFL laughing stock who got hosed yet again in another one-sided trade.
I've never read anything about another org saying they didn't know Hopkins was available

I've read that Philly/Cards/Bengals/Bills knew he was available. If they knew then almost certainly all of the teams knew.

BTW, insiders have said the directive to trade Hopkins came from ownership. Ask Corrosion by PM for the inside scoop. BTW, Corrosion isn't where I got this info.

It's time to move on, some seem to be struggling with this fact.

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
I've never read anything about another org saying they didn't know Hopkins was available

I've read that Philly/Cards/Bengals/Bills knew he was available. If they knew then almost certainly all of the teams knew.

BTW, insiders have said the directive to trade Hopkins came from ownership. Ask Corrosion by PM for the inside scoop. BTW, Corrosion isn't where I got this info.

It's time to move on, some seem to be struggling with this fact.

As Hopkins, 27, sat down at his locker after the game, surrounded by silence and his teammates, he had two thoughts: that the Texans had given their long-suffering fan base a future to look forward to and that they would need to end their string of playoff disappointments without him. The wideout had spoken to his family throughout the season about his desire to start over, with a new team, and, more specifically, with a new boss. He believed that Bill O’Brien, the lone NFL coach to also hold a general manager title, had been shopping him for more than a year.

What Hopkins knew was, “that asking for a little raise would lead to the outcome that I got,” he says, “which is the outcome that I wanted.”

"They have been shopping the guy (Hopkins) for a year-and-a-half, so let's not pretend they do not know what the market is. They clearly knew the market. Other teams were scared of the market, and I think with players like Hopkins who have actually held out, there is fear of what the contract looks like.

Hopkins told the Texans he wanted a new contract that would give him between $18 million and $20 million a year and was willing to hold out if he didn't receive it,

In my lowly opinion, the following had more to do with bringing the trade into reality than even the money talks. This is something that Janice McNair and Jack Easterby would probably take issue with on a social level, and something O'Brien would take issue with as it concerns the T-E-A-M performance on the field.

Plenty of Houston Texans turning out for their teammate included quarterback Deshaun Watson, Jamal Davis, Carlos Watkins, Whitney Mercilus, Jordan Akins and Andre Johnson, now special advisor to head coach Bill O’Brien.

Last edited:

maverick512000

Hall of Fame

As Hopkins, 27, sat down at his locker after the game, surrounded by silence and his teammates, he had two thoughts: that the Texans had given their long-suffering fan base a future to look forward to and that they would need to end their string of playoff disappointments without him. The wideout had spoken to his family throughout the season about his desire to start over, with a new team, and, more specifically, with a new boss. He believed that Bill O’Brien, the lone NFL coach to also hold a general manager title, had been shopping him for more than a year.

What Hopkins knew was, “that asking for a little raise would lead to the outcome that I got,” he says, “which is the outcome that I wanted.”
Its a very interesting read, its very one sided of course but that's to be expected. I'm hoping a few months down the road somebody will sit down with OB and do an interview with him. It would be interesting to get his side of things like RS, Hopkins, drafting Watson, the various contracts and of course the McNairs. Always 3 sides to every story.

austins23

Hall of Fame
Also, Watson said, he was looking to pass before running and then was suprise by how fast Garrett was running. If you look, Cooks is running right behind the TE. I think Watson was waiting for Cooks to come open. My question is why is Cooks running a couple of yards behind the TE?
And why were two receivers in each others hip pockets on the TD throw?? Either this offense is WAY more complicated than it should be or the guys don't get it. Which would make one think the offense is WAY to complicated. Or am I being too complicated??

It's not just me, everyone here sees receivers right next to each other almost every game.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
And why were two receivers in each others hip pockets on the TD throw?? Either this offense is WAY more complicated than it should be or the guys don't get it. Which would make one think the offense is WAY to complicated. Or am I being too complicated??

It's not just me, everyone here sees receivers right next to each other almost every game.
OB's offensive system has only managed to confuse the players trying to operate it....as for opposing NFL defensesive coordinators, they all had a hand in helping OB create his offensive playbook.....that's why they're so familiar with the plays and the method in which the game plan was drawn up......oh, right on down to the Friday change of plan. DC's know it all and the offensive players not so much. Personally, I think NFL DC's were pissing their pants and biting their tongues when helping OB create the blocking schemes and route trees for the playbook.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
My point stands
That's fine. Just remember. Every time you mention the Texans should be running the Ravens' offense, I always mention Watson is not the same type of runner as Jackson. So, remember this play and your response the next time you post the Texans should be running the Ravens' offense.
:tiphat:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
That's fine. Just remember. Every time you mention the Texans should be running the Ravens' offense, I always mention Watson is not the same type of runner as Jackson. So, remember this play and your response the next time you post the Texans should be running the Ravens' offense.
:tiphat:
The difference is a designed offense vs whatever the he** the Texans offense is trying to do.

Ahhh so it's not due to Hop running wrong routes...

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Vegas and a lot of gamblers and fantasy footballers have got to upset............so sad.

Baker Mayfield told Nick Chubb not to score in the huddle

Browns running back Nick Chubb, in his first game since Week Four, delivered the dagger for home team by not scoring a touchdown. When was the decision made that Chubb would pass on a clear and easy touchdown?

“It was made in the huddle, and I got the call from Baker [Mayfield] to if we get a first down or anything, let’s just end the game and not score,” Chubb told PFT by phone after Sunday’s 10-7 win. “There an opportunity for me to do that and that’s what I did.”

So how hard was it for Chubb to see the end zone right there and not carry the ball into it?
“It was tough,” Chubb said, “but I’m a team player, so I decided to just win the game and not worry about stats and get the win and go home.”

If it was tough then, it won’t get any easier when Chubb sees what the haters on social media have to say about losing an easy six points for their fantasy teams. (Not to mention the gamblers who took Cleveland giving anywhere from 3 to 4.5 points.)

“It won’t faze me,” he said. “At the end of the day, we got the win and that’s what matters most.”
Indeed it does. And now the Browns have run their record to 6-3. Based on the schedule, 10 wins can indeed be in the cards for the Browns, which likely would deliver the franchise’s first playoff berth since 2002.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Vegas and a lot of gamblers and fantasy footballers have got to upset............so sad.

Baker Mayfield told Nick Chubb not to score in the huddle

Browns running back Nick Chubb, in his first game since Week Four, delivered the dagger for home team by not scoring a touchdown. When was the decision made that Chubb would pass on a clear and easy touchdown?

“It was made in the huddle, and I got the call from Baker [Mayfield] to if we get a first down or anything, let’s just end the game and not score,” Chubb told PFT by phone after Sunday’s 10-7 win. “There an opportunity for me to do that and that’s what I did.”

So how hard was it for Chubb to see the end zone right there and not carry the ball into it?
“It was tough,” Chubb said, “but I’m a team player, so I decided to just win the game and not worry about stats and get the win and go home.”

If it was tough then, it won’t get any easier when Chubb sees what the haters on social media have to say about losing an easy six points for their fantasy teams. (Not to mention the gamblers who took Cleveland giving anywhere from 3 to 4.5 points.)

“It won’t faze me,” he said. “At the end of the day, we got the win and that’s what matters most.”
Indeed it does. And now the Browns have run their record to 6-3. Based on the schedule, 10 wins can indeed be in the cards for the Browns, which likely would deliver the franchise’s first playoff berth since 2002.
LOL!! What does that say about the Texans defense that you're 60 yards from the end zone and you're huddling up telling guys not to score?

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I posted this earlier in the NFL COVID PROTOCOL thread in the NFL section, but thought it might be a good idea to inform those that do not travel there.

Myles Garrett has been placed on the COVID-19 reserve list after missing practice all week with an illness. The Browns have not reported whether he tested positive or whether he was placed on the list for close contact. However, with the chronology of events, I doubt that he is only a "victim" of close contact. From what I'm hearing, Garrett is quite sick.