Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Week 1 Preview: Texans vs Colts

Dejaview

All Pro
I look at the leaders on both sides, staff and the state of the organization as a whole. I’m also open minded to opposing team/media fans as well as our fans opinions.

I grew up a Steelers fan. Half of my fam from Pennsylvania so it was natural. 2000s as a kid I was spoiled witnessing championship teams with special players like Polamalu, Hines, Bettis and Holmes. I would always pay attention to the Texans. I really started tuning in to them around 2015. I would come here during the oswelier mess and I created an account after 2017 draft because I thought we hit the jackpot but boy was I wrong.

No players on the Texans were in the top 100. I’m not going to bash David Mills because the situation is tough. I’m surprised with his progression despite him not looking great during the pre season. The Texans best player on defense is 34 years old. On the other side is Cooks. Stating the obvious that we’re in rebuild mode doesn’t make me hate the organization. Like a lot of you, I’m disappointed with some of the decisions that have been made like keeping irrelevant staff on the team who makes free agents who want to win not come here. For the most part, the team seems to be headed in the right direction. I believe Mills have the tools to become a great qb but idk how bad he wants to be. I haven’t heard too much on his work ethic and chemistry with the receiver core. Regardless, I’m going to root for the team knowing we’re probably not going to be good but it would be nice to have some breakout stars this season.

Texans have been every bit as hungry as the Steelers have since 2010.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
When Neville gets his many tackles near the LOS, then I will believe in him. Tackling 5-10 yards downfield doesn't cut it. He is a bridge to the young guys, and I am sure the coaches/GM like his grind

badboy

Hall of Fame
So I haven’t really followed the team much this off-season - what are you guys excited to see on Sunday? Which players are you gonna focus on?
As a suggestion here are approximately 40 replies to my thread.

Select a player you want to focus on and follow this season. One player for each side of line:

Defense difficult as I want to say DE Rasheem Green, LB Christian Harris and S Jalen Pitre.

My choice Rahseem Green across from Greenard should be very impactful.

Offense Howard, Kenyon Green and Dameon Pierce.

My choice Tytus Howard IMO most important concern on line.
Hope this helps!

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
When did we start calling Darius Leonard Shaquille?

I was thinking there were two of them.

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
I am excited. Another year removed from the darkness of the O'Brien Tyranny and the Debacle of Deshaun.

A lot to be excited about. I pray we play hard every game, are actually entertaining and at least watchable week to week, no distractions or stupid drama ****, and intelligent, tough play, work ethic, and motors from the players and leadership and wisdom from the staff and management.

I am ready to fall in love again. The last few years have been really bad with our team's previous situation and all the on-and-off field bullshit with the league and Corona and other garbage. Quite frankly I grew quite the disdain and distaste for the league and the game. I would barely watch anything outside of Texans games and barely even those, at that.

But I'm looking forward to a normal season focused on football and, for us, rebuilding and quick.

Let's surprise some people.

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club
Stafford is a game manager - an elite level game manager. Matt Ryan Is/was as well. It’s why Stafford didn’t win in Detroit, and why Ryan couldn’t quite pull it off either.

Neither of those guys are playmakers. The game has changed. Yes, he went to LA and they put a team around him. It’s the same argument I keep making. You can win with a high level game manager if you have elite coaching and a damn good team around him. Stafford was a nice piece of the puzzle for them, but he isn’t taking a mediocre org’s team very far.
What QB can take a mediocre team far? When you look at all the teams in the playoffs they have excellent rosters. The only QB that I can remember taking a mediocre team to the SB was Eiway.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
What QB can take a mediocre team far? When you look at all the teams in the playoffs they have excellent rosters. The only QB that I can remember taking a mediocre team to the SB was Eiway.
Give a QB a top target and they can make due with other sub optimal aspects of the team.

EX: What would the Texans projected win total be with Aaron Rodger and Davante Adams on the roster?

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club
Give a QB a top target and they can make due with other sub optimal aspects of the team.

EX: What would the Texans projected win total be with Aaron Rodger and Davante Adams on the roster?
We’ve seen this already, with Watson and Hopkins the Texans went to the playoffs multiple times. They traded Hop and we won 4 games with Watson and no Hopkins. The less total talent you have the slimmer your margins for error are, even with a great QB under center.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
We’ve seen this already, with Watson and Hopkins the Texans went to the playoffs multiple times. They traded Hop and we won 4 games with Watson and no Hopkins. The less total talent you have the slimmer your margins for error are, even with a great QB under center.
Our definitions for great QB might be different. Aaron Rodgers has almost as many MVP awards as Watson has seasons in the NFL.

There are good QBs then there are great QBs. There are levels and Watson is not on Rodgers’ level.

Texansballer74

The Marine
The defense was by far the worst in the league that year. Defense cost us at least 6 of those games.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Not about Watson. Again the defense cost us at least 6 games that year. They couldn’t hold onto to leads period.

Hopefully this defense and offense will be up for the task today. Will need all parties to play at a high level to beat the Colts here in a few hours.
Just saying the defense was almost as bad last year as it was the year before. Hopefully the injection of youth from the draft helps with that this year.

You on the rig?

Porky

Hall of Fame
Is Kyle Allen hurt, or do they really prefer Driskel as the backup?
I mentioned in a thread a few weeks back I could see a scenario where Allen is inactive, Driskel is the backup on game day whereby they have a package of plays for Driskel, basically a wildcat type package.

in other words, I expect Driskel to not just be holding a clipboard all day. Let’s see if Pep can get creative. He doesn’t have as many horses, but maybe the show pony nobody is ready for will make some noise.

Porky

Hall of Fame
I mentioned in a thread a few weeks back I could see a scenario where Allen is inactive, Driskel is the backup on game day whereby they have a package of plays for Driskel, basically a wildcat type package.

in other words, I expect Driskel to not just be holding a clipboard all day. Let’s see if Pep can get creative. He doesn’t have as many horses, but maybe the show pony nobody is ready for will make some noise.
Just in case nobody saw this…Driskel was activated off the PS.