Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Week 1 Preview: Texans vs Colts

What? True. Stafford won a championship with the Rams. However, when he was in Detroit, the knock on him was that he couldn't win a playoff game far less a Super Bowl. His style didn't change going from the Lions to the Rams. The team and organization around him changed. It's funny that now he won a championship "his style wins championships".

For the record. I like Stafford. However, it's another example of no QB can win championships on their own and they get too much blame and/or too much credit for their team's success.

Detroit Lions won't win a Super Bowl with Matthew Stafford (detroitjockcity.com)
Detroit Lions: With Latest Loss, Is It Time to Label Matthew Stafford a Bust? | News, Scores, Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report
Does it surprise anybody he couldn't win in Detroit? I'm talking about style of QBs that win championships. Agreed about needing a complete team to win a championship.

Are you saying because of style. IF you were building a championship team. You would take Kirk Cousins, Phillip Rivers, Matt Ryan, or Matt Schaub over Steve Young?
Tell me which style wins championships and I'll take that style. Go back and look at history, most have the playing style I'm talking about and even Young, Staubach/Always/Mahomes and Wilson consistently delivered from the pocket. They ran as a last resort.

Stafford is a game manager - an elite level game manager. Matt Ryan Is/was as well. It’s why Stafford didn’t win in Detroit, and why Ryan couldn’t quite pull it off either.

Neither of those guys are playmakers. The game has changed. Yes, he went to LA and they put a team around him. It’s the same argument I keep making. You can win with a high level game manager if you have elite coaching and a damn good team around him. Stafford was a nice piece of the puzzle for them, but he isn’t taking a mediocre org’s team very far.

Both Mahomas and Wilson uses their legs too. Come on Steel are you not watching the games.
Over his career, Russell Wilson's has rushed 846 times for 4689 yards. In fact, Wilson has more rushing yards than Roger Staubach, Steve McNair, Steve Young and even Frank Tarkenton.

That's a lot of running as a last resort. LOL

Over his career, Russell Wilson's has rushed 846 times for 4689 yards. In fact, Wilson has more rushing yards than Roger Staubach, Steve McNair, Steve Young and even Frank Tarkenton.

That's a lot of running as a last resort. LOL
Patrick has 238 attempts for 1189 yards. Last year he had 67 rushing attempts for 381 yards.

Players likely starting for the Colts have a combined 24 Pro Bowls and 11 All Pros.

The Texans entire 53 man roster has a combined 1 All Pro (Desmond King) and 3 Pro Bowls (Tunsil - 2, Jon Weeks - 1).

The Colts have a terrible track record in opening weeks. What are they? 2-10 in their last 12 IIRC. That combined with a new coach, new and better players and a generally positive vibe with the team leads me to believe we've got more than a puncher's chance. If I were a betting man, I'm taking the Texans and the points.

I do agree that the key is Taylor. I do think the D is improved, but much of that improvement is in the pass game. How often can we force teams to play catch-up with this lame offense led by a statue and very few dynamic elements. The key is to somehow get Mills and the guys to get a 2 score lead and take Taylor out of the game, and make Ryan beat you over the top. Ok...don't laugh!
Our Texans are the cure for a lot of other teams terrible

Our Dline has looked much improved in creating pass rush and closing down gaps....I know that was preseason...but I am hoping it translates over and they can get some big stops and get off the field and give our offense the ball.
And then.....?

Being relatively straight-line fast and being a dynamic athlete are not one in the same. And some of that is mental as well. Understanding and feeling the rush, understanding escape routes. Keeping your head downfield and finding long gains. All of that is mental.

Bottom line, this QB is stiffer then my ironing board. He's not a playmaker in any sense of the word. He has no dynamic traits to his game at all. None. Zero. Sure, if the play goes as designed, the line gives him time, etc...he can deliver the ball in the short to intermediate range. If the play breaks down, you might as well throw the ball to Lovie. He's not making any plays. And his deep throws have nearly all been underthrown - some by a lot. For once - just lead the damn receiver. How about that for a change?

If you think this dude is all that and a bag of chips, you're going to be sorely disappointed. The best we can hope for is a mid-level game manager, and if the team around him is premium...maybe just maybe he gets the job done. That means everything else has to be nearly perfect. He can be on a winning team, but he isn't leading you anywhere other than Dairy Queen for an ice cream after the game.

I'd put the odds at 75% that they will be in the QB market in 2023.
But..but i like DQ ice cream..

Players likely starting for the Colts have a combined 24 Pro Bowls and 11 All Pros.

The Texans entire 53 man roster has a combined 1 All Pro (Desmond King) and 3 Pro Bowls (Tunsil - 2, Jon Weeks - 1).
And if these numbers were reversed some of our posters would complain about all the old players on the team. :D

:coffee:

Technically, you don't have to reverse the numbers. The Texans roster is older than the Colts.

Even with Matt Ryan. The average age of the current Colts roster is ranked 16th at 25.9 years. The Texans are ranked 28th at 26.5 years. Only the Saints (26.8), Patriots (26.8), Cardinals (26.8) and Buccaneers (27.1) have an older roster than the Texans.

Ranking NFL teams by age after 53-man cutdowns: 2022 edition | PhillyVoice

Last edited:
The Colts are saying that LB Shaquille Leonard may play against the Texans. He had offseason June 2-level back discectomies for compression of spinal nerves that affected his calf and ankle did not play in the preseason. Due to ankle surgery before last season and with back pains (since actually 2019), he has not played since last year........and just began to practice for the first time 5 days ago. They are talking about a pitch count. To be playing at all in 1 more week after only 2 weeks of total practice is not a wise choice.

Microdiscectomy requires 6-8 weeks of rest for noncontact sports, and at least 3 months of rest (typically 4-6 months) for contact sports. Athletes are less likely to return to play and stay in play when multiple disc levels are affected. After such surgery, recurrence of the problem/pain is not unusual since you have not cured the problem......only removed some bulging pressing against nerve(s) and lessening the thickness of the disc cushion. Players that are expected to engage in fierce sometimes high speed impact, and twisting and bending are doing exactly what is counterproductive to keeping the disc from recollapsing.

The Colts are saying that LB Shaquille Leonard may play against the Texans. He had offseason June 2-level back discectomies for compression of spinal nerves that affected his calf and ankle did not play in the preseason. Due to ankle surgery before last season and with back pains (since actually 2019), he has not played since last year........and just began to practice for the first time 5 days ago. They are talking about a pitch count. To be playing at all in 1 more week after only 2 weeks of total practice is not a wise choice.

Microdiscectomy requires 6-8 weeks of rest for noncontact sports, and at least 3 months of rest (typically 4-6 months) for contact sports. Athletes are less likely to return to play and stay in play when multiple disc levels are affected. After such surgery, recurrence of the problem/pain is not unusual since you have not cured the problem......only removed some bulging pressing against nerve(s) and lessening the thickness of the disc cushion. Players that are expected to engage in fierce sometimes high speed impact, and twisting and bending are doing exactly what is counterproductive to keeping the disc from recollapsing.
Disc recollapses, nerves severed...

Paralyzed?

It’s official: Dameon Pierce earns starting job
Posted by Charean Williams on September 6, 2022, 2:53 PM EDT

It wasn’t that long ago that rookie running back Dameon Pierce was third on the Texans’ depth chart. On Tuesday, Pierce’s spot in the starting lineup became official.

The team released its updated depth chart, and Pierce is listed as RB1.

He began training camp behind Marlon Mack and Rex Burkhead. But Mack no longer is with the Texans, who cut him from the active roster and the practice squad roster, and Burkhead is Pierce’s backup.

Pierce quickly established himself in the preseason, rushing for 86 yards and a touchdown on 11 carries in two games.

He is expected to help improve the team’s running game, which ranked 32nd in the league with 1,422 yards. The Texans averaged 3.4 yards per rush and scored only eight rushing touchdowns in 2021.

Both teams changed so much in the offseason that neither really knows what the other is, but the Texans have changed a lot more and therefore have more of an advantage of surprise. That's the main reason I think the Colts will be caught flat footed.

Colts are also 0-8 in openers that I'm sure is a streak they're tired of hearing about and want to end. Doesn't mean they will though. I mean they were hearing about 0-7 last year so .......

If the Texans lose, it won't surprise me as they aren't that good of a team yet.

If the Texans win, it likewise won't surprise me because they are definitely improved.

Any surprises in this game will be from individual performances.

What’s the hype around this Jonathan Taylor guy. I see he made the top 20 on the top 100 list. Never really paid attention to him but hopefully Texans can hold him under 100 yards. I want to see Mills thrive this season and winning 6 to 7 games will be a major improvement from last season. Deep down, I don’t feel we have enough players with a hungry mentality to want to make the playoffs. No one takes the Texans serious, why we can’t attract great free agents signings. I’m going to observe and just watch this season. I still don’t understand some things within this organization but I’m wishing the players the best of luck. Go Texans

Side note: guys comparing a Super Bowl caliber qb to a guy who hasn’t made the playoffs in his career yet is hilarious

What’s the hype around this Jonathan Taylor guy. I see he made the top 20 on the top 100 list. Never really paid attention to him but hopefully Texans can hold him under 100 yards. I want to see Mills thrive this season and winning 6 to 7 games will be a major improvement from last season. Deep down, I don’t feel we have enough players with a hungry mentality to want to make the playoffs. No one takes the Texans serious, why we can’t attract great free agents signings. I’m going to observe and just watch this season. I still don’t understand some things within this organization but I’m wishing the players the best of luck. Go Texans

I think you're mistaking a lower talent level for lack of a hungry mentality.

They will be able to attract FA's when they have the cap space next yr or really in 2 yrs after Caserio's able to add top tier FA's.

Tell me what things dont you understand that's going on with the Texans org.

How do you measure this?

I look at the leaders on both sides, staff and the state of the organization as a whole. I’m also open minded to opposing team/media fans as well as our fans opinions.

I grew up a Steelers fan. Half of my fam from Pennsylvania so it was natural. 2000s as a kid I was spoiled witnessing championship teams with special players like Polamalu, Hines, Bettis and Holmes. I would always pay attention to the Texans. I really started tuning in to them around 2015. I would come here during the oswelier mess and I created an account after 2017 draft because I thought we hit the jackpot but boy was I wrong.

No players on the Texans were in the top 100. I’m not going to bash David Mills because the situation is tough. I’m surprised with his progression despite him not looking great during the pre season. The Texans best player on defense is 34 years old. On the other side is Cooks. Stating the obvious that we’re in rebuild mode doesn’t make me hate the organization. Like a lot of you, I’m disappointed with some of the decisions that have been made like keeping irrelevant staff on the team who makes free agents who want to win not come here. For the most part, the team seems to be headed in the right direction. I believe Mills have the tools to become a great qb but idk how bad he wants to be. I haven’t heard too much on his work ethic and chemistry with the receiver core. Regardless, I’m going to root for the team knowing we’re probably not going to be good but it would be nice to have some breakout stars this season.

I look at the leaders on both sides, staff and the state of the organization as a whole. I’m also open minded to opposing team/media fans as well as our fans opinions.
Yeah, but it’s preseason. How do you measure how much hunger these guys have?

winning is not the primary goal in preseason. Coaches are evaluating players on things like assignments, & following directions, & objective things like that. Sure, superior talent is going to show up, but hunger?

I don’t know how you can gauge “hunger” when these games don’t count.

Yeah, but it’s preseason. How do you measure how much hunger these guys have?

winning is not the primary goal in preseason. Coaches are evaluating players on things like assignments, & following directions, & objective things like that. Sure, superior talent is going to show up, but hunger?

I don’t know how you can gauge “hunger” when these games don’t count.
Yep, there are still issues with this team. Being hungry isn't one of them. IMHO

Texans linebacker Neville Hewitt earns starting nod with ‘pure toughness’

Billed as a tackling machine, Texans linebacker Neville Hewitt lived up to that reputation during a game last season against the Miami Dolphins.

In a losing cause, the former New York Jets starter stepped in for defensive captain Christian Kirksey, who was on injured reserve after undergoing thumb surgery, and recorded a team-high 10 tackles, nine on defense and one on special teams, during a 17-9 road loss to the Miami Dolphins. The Dolphins rushed for just 47 yards and one touchdown on 25 carries, averaging 1.9 yards per run.

Now, Hewitt ranks first on the depth chart and is slated to start Sunday’s season-opener against the Indianapolis Colts at NRG Stadium.

“Neville, he is a special player in that he is a pro,” Texans linebackers coach Miles Smith said. “He’s going to attack things the way that you should from day after day. He watches probably more film than anybody else. When you’re doing these types of things, you’re able to just consistently be where your supposed to be. And that’s what Neville does.

“Neville also has an elite quality of just pure toughness. This is still football and he’s a linebacker. Linebackers have to be the toughest guys on the field and I don’t think anybody in the league questions whether Neville Hewitt is going to throw his head in there and knock somebody out. That’s really what shows his elite aspect in the league.”

Hewitt started every game two seasons ago for the Jets and recorded a career-high 134 tackles along with two sacks, four passes defensed and one interception.

Hewitt displayed a quick-striking, hard-hitting style against the Dolphins who signed him out of Marshall as an undrafted free agent.

Hewitt grew up in Silver Spring, Maryland, emulating the late hard-hitting safety Sean Taylor and Baltimore Ravens Hall of Fame middle linebacker Ray Lewis.
“The physicality,” Hewitt said when asked how he patterned his game. “Get my job done, whatever the play says to do.”

Hewitt signed a one-year, $1.95 million contract during the offseason that included a $350,000 signing bonus, $850,000 total guaranteed and a base salary of $1.3 million. He played last season under a one-year, $1.7 million contract that included $700,000 guaranteed with a $200,000 signing bonus, a $1 million base salary with $500,000 guaranteed for skill injury and salary cap and up to $500,000 total in per-game active roster bonuses.

“It helps me out just knowing that they believe in me to even be here,” Hewitt said.

Forging a seven-year NFL career, Hewitt has a history of overcoming adversity. Growing up in Maryland, Hewitt dealt with his mother being incarcerated on a drug trafficking charge. He attended Georgia Military College before transferring to Marshall where he was named the Conference USA Defensive Player of the Year and recorded 208 tackles, 16 1/2 for losses 7 1/2 sacks and two interceptions in two seasons.

“I love that guy, man,” linebacker Kamu Grugier-Hill said. “He’s a true professional. I mean, the guy watches more film than I have ever seen ever, by any teammate I’ve ever played with.
“He always knows what position to be in. Truthfully a lot of time, I go to him for, ‘Hey, what do you think about this play.’ He’s been there for me a lot..”

After being cleared medically with the Dolphins and playing for them for three seasons, he worked his way up to become a starter with the Jets.
Hewitt, 28, started five games and had 60 tackles last season for the Texans. He has 412 career tackles, 21 for losses.

Now, he’ll test his skills against Colts star running back Jonathan Taylor. The Colts swept the Texans last season, outscoring them by a combined margin of 62-3 as Taylor dominated.
“He’s one of the best running backs in the league, if not the best,” Hewitt said. “So, we’re looking forward to it. Anytime you lose a game, it’s never a good feeling. Especially in that fashion.”

Back