Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

We suck...

It hurts to admit that the Dallas Cowboys are so much better than we are that there just isn't any comparison. How did they grow while we were regressing since preseason?

We had both tackles back Sunday. Only missing our new center. Why did the OL still suck?

Wife and Daughter had today, Monday off so I figured we could have a long weekend and enjoy a day at the beach Sunday and get a hotel there. Glad I planned it and not around my Texans, first time that happens. I had an awesome worry free day, saw the notification that we lost as I sat on the beach and just enjoyed the rest of my day. Guess after all these years they finally broke my spirits.

Wife and Daughter had today, Monday off so I figured we could have a long weekend and enjoy a day at the beach Sunday and get a hotel there. Glad I planned it and not around my Texans, first time that happens. I had an awesome worry free day, saw the notification that we lost as I sat on the beach and just enjoyed the rest of my day. Guess after all these years they finally broke my spirits.
I projected a loss (a possible egg laying type), but still wanted to watch.

(Even though I had stated that I had zero confidence in OB).

But with family visiting from out of state, we went out and had a pleasant day.

I still had to check in and read the game day thread.

And even though they lost big time, I still watch and study the game last night and today.

I still have many/most games from the last 7-8 years or so, and some from prior years.

Just a film junkie, I guess.
I really love the game of football, but I must admit, the last two years have been really hard.

Except for the Vikings game, I don't think I've missed the start of a Texans game hardly ever. I'm always planted on the couch for the start of the game. Not always there for the finish though. Or sometimes the middle if it's really bad. :brickwall:

I don't think I've missed any part of any game for the past couple of years. Middle of the 3rd Quarter yesterday I switched the Big TV to the Red Zone (I knew I wouldn't be seeing the Texans there) and the 2nd TV to NASCAR! And I usually get real invested in the game, mad, angry, ecstatic, happy, etc.....yesterday, nothing. No emotion whatsoever. I was just numb. Red Zone was exciting though. I saw offenses there that could move the ball and score!

I don't think I've missed any part of any game for the past couple of years. Middle of the 3rd Quarter yesterday I switched the Big TV to the Red Zone (I knew I wouldn't be seeing the Texans there) and the 2nd TV to NASCAR! And I usually get real invested in the game, mad, angry, ecstatic, happy, etc.....yesterday, nothing. No emotion whatsoever. I was just numb. Red Zone was exciting though. I saw offenses there that could move the ball and score!

Soon our stadium will be looking like it did when the Oilers were on their final days here. Cause i also do not have the same interest or passion for this team i once had. It would not be hard to get it back, mainly the owner actually trying to field the best team and coaching staff possible would help. But this garbage we have now isn't cutting it. Yes it may be good enough to currently win the garabe AFC South but i'm sure we all want more.

Soon our stadium will be looking like it did when the Oilers were on their final days here. Cause i also do not have the same interest or passion for this team i once had. It would not be hard to get it back, mainly the owner actually trying to field the best team and coaching staff possible would help. But this garbage we have now isn't cutting it. Yes it may be good enough to currently win the garabe AFC South but i'm sure we all want more.

Mediocrity is the worst because you are constantly picking between 15-25 in the draft and that puts a strain on the front office to really hit those middle tier guys in rounds without being in the running for those instant impact pieces. I am an eternal optimist and we aren't Cleveland or Tampa or Detroit but that's not how I want to view our team. We aren't bad because we aren't THAT bad, and sadly that's where I am at, optimizing a shitty situation. The problem we and most teams that are constantly in shift have is that we have no identity and vision for that identity. Before we become multiple we must have something we are known for. Are we known to blitz heavy. Are we known for running 30 times for 120. Are we known for a vertical attack. Are we known for being tough and beating the hell out of an opponent regardless of W or L. Right now no one in the world knows, including our own staff. This indecision has led to a timid group of players who play tight and unconfident. That's why I miss Wade Phillips more than anyone else because he lets his players have fun and play with "swagger" and just fly to the ball. As Odell Beckham Jr. said, (he) or in our case, the Texans aren't having fun and it shows on the field. And for those Debbie Downers who want to say Belichick doesn't have fun, Gronk spikes and marches, Brady yells and runs and jumps and acts like a kid, the defense talks and smiles and has fun. Something we are missing under Romeo and BOB is the fun factor. JJ made a difference for us because he brought that fun factor to the guys where the coaches lacked it. At the end of the day football, the multi billion dollar sport, is still supposed to be fun for coaches, players, and most importantly fans. When you stop having fun, L's pile up and the whole process becomes a chore. When my favorite thing in the world besides sex and beer becomes a chore, I take issue. Look at all the teams who are having success, Seattle, New England, Pittsburgh, Atlanta...they are PLAYING A GAME and having FUN. Winning makes things more fun, I understand. But approaching each week like a chore from coaches to players to fans, that isn't fun.

Last edited:
Are you saying that you expected them to continue being completely outclassed every few games?

I didn't.

I didn't expect our offense to score much more than 13 points.

I'm not as upset as some are about that. I knew it.

I didn't expect Sam Bradford & Theilan to rip our defense to shreds. I am very upset about that.

Osweiler & the offense has issues. I didn't expect them to get that figured out between the Patriot & Viking's game..... however, we didn't commit a bunch of turnovers like you'd have thought against that defense.

I think there should be a lot more anger pointed at the defense than what I'm seeing pointed at the offense. Offensively, we suk... we weren't supposed to suk on defense. Two 90 yard TD drives to open the game.

Ob could get Weeden, Yates and Keenum to win games, but he is having a great deal of problems with Oz. Is that on OZ or OB or a combination of both?
IDK which but it is getting very old to see a team with the talent we have looking lost on the field.

He won two games with Yates, two games with Keenum, one game with Weeden....

He's already won three games with Osweiler.

Osweiler struggled with what appears two top 5 scoring defenses this year. He'll look better Sunday against the Colts. He'll probably look lost & scared against the Broncos. He'll look good again against the Lions.

Then we'll have our bye.

My biggest question, so far, is how will he look against the JagUar's defense after the bye week. They're looking like they're getting a few things figured out, including a pass rush. Osweiler needs to have all his jitters worked out before the second half of the season.

He won two games with Yates, two games with Keenum, one game with Weeden....

He's already won three games with Osweiler.

Osweiler struggled with what appears two top 5 scoring defenses this year. He'll look better Sunday against the Colts. He'll probably look lost & scared against the Broncos. He'll look good again against the Lions.

Then we'll have our bye.

My biggest question, so far, is how will he look against the JagUar's defense after the bye week. They're looking like they're getting a few things figured out, including a pass rush. Osweiler needs to have all his jitters worked out before the second half of the season.

I hope Osweiler doesn't struggle against the Colts because Hoyer didn't.

Eh, I won't say we suck but we are still what we seem to be year after year. Another middle tier team. That is where the frustration lies. How long are we going to just another middling team getting through the season that when a top tier team plays us we get blown out the stadium? That is what is getting really old. When I think of a team that sucks I think of bottom of the barrel feeders like the Browns and so forth. We are more like underachievers if anything.

Reactions: Max
Eh, I won't say we suck but we are still what we seem to be year after year. Another middle tier team. That is where the frustration lies. How long are we going to just another middling team getting through the season that when a top tier team plays us we get blown out the stadium? That is what is getting really old. When I think of a team that sucks I think of bottom of the barrel feeders like the Browns and so forth. We are more like underachievers if anything.

We're the ones living in a decent apartment complex, with the slums on one side and the rich golf course community on the other side.

Which, by the way, is exactly where I live. LOL

A middle tier team right now, is not all that bad. We've got a totally new offense, more or less.... & we're a middle tier team.

No team in the NFL is the same after 16 games as they were when the season started. Some get better, some get worse. Hopefully, we'll be one of the ones that get better as the season progresses. & next year, instead of starting at less than zero (which is what we did on offense) we'll start at one or two & work our way up (this is on a scale of 0 to 5).

Just got to thinking. There have been times when we see the Patriots struggle early in the year, usually because there are a lot of new players on whatever side of the ball. Remember when everyone... well, me at least, thought Brady was done because the Kansas City Chiefs rolled him & the Patriots up & tossed them aside?

The Patriots then went 10-2 the rest of the season.

I don't see us beating the Broncos. Not enough time to fix what ever is happening on offense. But still.... we have an opportunity to go 8-3 the rest of the season. Pretty much what we did last year, but since we started 3-2 (& not 2-5), we can finish this season 11-5.

We also didn't look very good going 8-3 last year. We were still slow & we still had the QB merri-go-round thing. I wouldn't be surprised if we started putting the smack down from here on out.

Just got to thinking. There have been times when we see the Patriots struggle early in the year, usually because there are a lot of new players on whatever side of the ball. Remember when everyone... well, me at least, thought Brady was done because the Kansas City Chiefs rolled him & the Patriots up & tossed them aside?

I don't see us beating the Broncos. Not enough time to fix what ever is happening on offense. But still.... we have an opportunity to go 8-3 the rest of the season. Pretty much what we did last year, but since we started 3-2 (& not 2-5), we can finish this season 11-5.

We also didn't look very good going 8-3 last year. We were still slow & we still had the QB merri-go-round thing. I wouldn't be surprised if we started putting the smack down from here on out.

I would love that, then i could call this thread dumb.

I didn't expect our offense to score much more than 13 points.

I'm not as upset as some are about that. I knew it.

The Texans offense is last in the NFL.

Think about that.

No really.....Let that sink in.

Regarding the turnovers against the Vikings, there were at least two picks that should've been that I saw without even watching the whole game. Harrison smith had one lined up for a pick six that he simply just dropped.

The Texans offense is last in the NFL.

Think about that.

No really.....Let that sink in.

Regarding the turnovers against the Vikings, there were at least two picks that should've been that I saw without even watching the whole game. Harrison smith had one lined up for a pick six that he simply just dropped.

Right. Our offense isn't very good.

Right. Our offense isn't very good.

Not very good is an understatement.

They.........Suck.

And they suck worse than everyone.

I don't think you let that sink in like I asked so let me add more to the picture. The Texans offense is scoring less points/game than the Browns.

Listen, growing pains are fine. But there is no excuse for this offense to be this dreadful.

Not very good is an understatement.

They.........Suck.

And they suck worse than everyone.

I don't think you let that sink in like I asked so let me add more to the picture. The Texans offense is scoring less points/game than the Browns.

Listen, growing pains are fine. But there is no excuse for this offense to be this dreadful.

Well, looking through that same "perspective" window, we did play two really good defenses. Against the rest of the "normal" NFL, Bears, Chiefs, Titans, we managed to score enough to win.

Looking forward

Colts.... 50/50
@Broncos.. Lose
Lions... 50/50
bye
@Jags.... 50/50
@Raiders.. 50/50
Chargers.. 50/50
@Packers. Lose
@Colts.. 50/50
Jags... 50/50
Bengals.. 50/50
@Titans.. 50/50

That's assuming our defense shows up to play. I also think the Jags, Raiders, & Titans defense will probably skew those 50/50 odds in their favor by the time we get to them.

Believe what your eyes and ears are telling you. - Bill Walsh

He epitomized the Teddy Roosevelt quote about speaking softly and carrying a big stick.

Did you catch the NFLN's "A Football Life" about Steve Young last week? Walsh lured Young to SF when he told him Montana had just had a second surgery and Walsh did not think he'd play again. Of course, Montana could not only play but still win a championship. When Young saw that Montana was healthy, he started to confront Walsh about his previous statements. Walsh just shrugged his shoulders and Young knew that he'd just been played by a master.

It was ruthless, but ultimately the situation challenged both QBs to be the best that they could be.

This is what Belichick is about, as well. He does not care about hurting feelings or cutting players still in their prime. He consistently does what he does for the best interests of the team.

And it is this commitment to winning, the unequivocal desire to do whatever it takes to win, that seems to be missing from the Texans franchise. What my 15 years as a Texans fan has taught me is that this franchise has a "good enough" vibe about winning division titles, that just getting to the playoffs means you've got that 'lightning in a bottle' chance to get hot and win 3-4 in a row, and "there's always next season" is an acceptable mantra.

And honestly, it's starting to bore the crap out of me. If I ever stop watching football, it won't be because of political statements or some design to perpetuate a perspective, but rather because I've become so bored with all of it. Almost five decades as a Houston pro football fan, and it all feels like the same complacent blur.

I think there should be a lot more anger pointed at the defense than what I'm seeing pointed at the offense. Offensively, we suk... we weren't supposed to suk on defense. Two 90 yard TD drives to open the game.
You're over-stating it. One drive was 84 yds. Okay, close enough.
The 2nd drive was from damn near mid-field.
After a 3-&-out where we had the ball for about a minute. No rest for the defense.

But that aside, without J.J. our defense looked to be reacting instead of dictating. That seldom works out well for a defense. With J.J. and a healthy Cushing (we know he's not 100%) we used to dictate. Not on Sunday.

And I see why opposing defenses know our snap count. Mancz bobs his head right before he snaps the ball every time. Doesn't matter if it's shotgun or under center. Other folks have pointed this out, but I didn't know it was this bad.

The "it's early" "it's a long season" mantra needs to disappear from the locker room. These guys seem to be complacent about a loss because it's only one game. I want someone to get pissed about losing and show it

I think they have a motivational poster in the locker room with this statement, because I keep hearing it over and over from all of the players.

Reactions: JB

McNair knows exactly what he's doing! $$$$ in his Bucket pocket = SUCCESS!
maxresdefault.jpg

I'll bet you the Browns will be an elite team before the Texans will. They will get pissed about being so bad and do something about it with a vengeance. The Toros will remain content to languish in their mediocrity and do nothing effective to improve.

I'll bet you the Browns will be an elite team before the Texans will. They will get pissed about being so bad and do something about it with a vengeance. The Toros will remain content to languish in their mediocrity and do nothing effective to improve.

yeah cuz Cleveland has had a NFL team for how long? And appeared in how many superb owls? What makes you think they'll get fed up with losing?

It is always fun to see the Texans compared* to the Patriots. It makes me smile.

*I know, I know. You didn't compare the Texans to the Patriots. You just threw out a random Patriot reference.

It is always fun to see the Texans compared* to the Patriots. It makes me smile.

*I know, I know. You didn't compare the Texans to the Patriots. You just threw out a random Patriot reference.
well, if you want to become the best you have to compare yourself to the best.
and the patriots fit that role even better considering what kind of system BOB is supposed to install in houston

Unless by "compare" you mean stuff like "the patriots beat this team easily so we should be able to do that as well"... in which case LOL :D

Reactions: Max
We all agree that the Texans suck, but what do they suck? Start a poll. My vote is lollypops.

He epitomized the Teddy Roosevelt quote about speaking softly and carrying a big stick.

Did you catch the NFLN's "A Football Life" about Steve Young last week? Walsh lured Young to SF when he told him Montana had just had a second surgery and Walsh did not think he'd play again. Of course, Montana could not only play but still win a championship. When Young saw that Montana was healthy, he started to confront Walsh about his previous statements. Walsh just shrugged his shoulders and Young knew that he'd just been played by a master.

It was ruthless, but ultimately the situation challenged both QBs to be the best that they could be.

This is what Belichick is about, as well. He does not care about hurting feelings or cutting players still in their prime. He consistently does what he does for the best interests of the team.

And it is this commitment to winning, the unequivocal desire to do whatever it takes to win, that seems to be missing from the Texans franchise. What my 15 years as a Texans fan has taught me is that this franchise has a "good enough" vibe about winning division titles, that just getting to the playoffs means you've got that 'lightning in a bottle' chance to get hot and win 3-4 in a row, and "there's always next season" is an acceptable mantra.

And honestly, it's starting to bore the crap out of me. If I ever stop watching football, it won't be because of political statements or some design to perpetuate a perspective, but rather because I've become so bored with all of it. Almost five decades as a Houston pro football fan, and it all feels like the same complacent blur.

Great points. I'd like to add McNair really needs to add a president to our front office. Someone with FB experience that watches what's going on behind the scenes and can correctly assess blame and make the tough decisions. Someone like a Parcells or Dan Reeves, not necessarily those guys but someone like them. I think McNair wants to build a consistent winner but doesn't know how. He needs some help. Hopefully he recognizes this in the near future.

Great points. I'd like to add McNair really needs to add a president to our front office. Someone with FB experience that watches what's going on behind the scenes and can correctly assess blame and make the tough decisions. Someone like a Parcells or Dan Reeves, not necessarily those guys but someone like them. I think McNair wants to build a consistent winner but doesn't know how. He needs some help. Hopefully he recognizes this in the near future.
His name is Jamey Rootes: http://www.houstontexans.com/team/staff/jamey-rootes/01eccead-fcd6-4405-ad16-4643d8e42b8c

well, if you want to become the best you have to compare yourself to the best.
and the patriots fit that role even better considering what kind of system BOB is supposed to install in houston

Unless by "compare" you mean stuff like "the patriots beat this team easily so we should be able to do that as well"... in which case LOL :D

Or compare "The Patriots had a bad start and finished 10-2, so the Texans bad start means......"

The thought is just implied of course; have to maintain deniability.

Still funny though.

Then again, we may be on the right track. At 3-2 after 5 weeks, this may be where they expected us to be right now. We played two teams that look like they'll be the class of the NFL & weren't competitive. We played three teams who are trying to get beyond mediocrity & showed to be very competitive.

I'm sure he's spent hours upon hours with Rick, Cal, & O'Brien over the last few weeks. Hopefully they see what we see hopefully they can make this team even more competitive over the next few weeks.

Or compare "The Patriots had a bad start and finished 10-2, so the Texans bad start means......"

The thought is just implied of course; have to maintain deniability.

Still funny though.

I also mentioned we finished 8-3 last season. With 11 games left, we could possibly do the same thing. Of course we can do worse... 3-8.. but I'm trying to stay positive.

We actually did bring in Reeves way back in 2005 in a consultant type role, as you probably know. An interesting dynamic, as it was then with a new HC hire, would be having Reeves in the front office with Baby Shanahan coming in as head coach. I agree that we need an actual football guy in charge of operations instead of a McNair or his grandson's Godfather. Parcells, Jimmy Johnson, Reeves, Vermiel and a few others would be on a list of guys who could possibly handle such a role. McNair and his crony are not good for the team. We absolutely need a more structured and defined chain of command, one that puts an extra buffer between owner and operations.

We actually did bring in Reeves way back in 2005 in a consultant type role, as you probably know. An interesting dynamic, as it was then with a new HC hire, would be having Reeves in the front office with Baby Shanahan coming in as head coach. I agree that we need an actual football guy in charge of operations instead of a McNair or his grandson's Godfather. Parcells, Jimmy Johnson, Reeves, Vermiel and a few others would be on a list of guys who could possibly handle such a role. McNair and his crony are not good for the team. We absolutely need a more structured and defined chain of command, one that puts an extra buffer between owner and operations.

I hate to say it, but McNair thinks he has the guy in Cal Smith. Smart football guy

If you think it's bad now...

Bob has the kind of front office he wants. He hires the coach and the GM is an employee that catches a lot of **** and who goes out and gets what the coach wants. Since he's a GM in name only the "Successful Texans Coach" will have to be both a good football coach as well as a talented GM.

Those are very rare in the NFL. Bob is going to have to step up his coach hunting game if he expects this to work. You can count quality HC/GM's in the NFL on one hand.

Bob has the kind of front office he wants. He hires the coach and the GM is an employee that catches a lot of **** and who goes out and gets what the coach wants. Since he's a GM & VP of Football Operations in name only the "Successful Texans Coach" will have to be both a good football coach as well as a talented GM.

FIFY

Back