Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Watson & Tunsil Contracts

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I feel like OB is gonna screw this up .... Terribly.

It really makes no sense to be doing these big value contracts right now when you don't know where the league will be financially in the next 2-3 years.

Yeah , I think we'd all like to get Watson locked up but they have to think about the future , not just the right now at one position.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Per Spotrac:

Deshaun Watson signed a 4 year, $160,000,000 contract with the Houston Texans, including a $27,000,000 signing bonus, $111,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $40,000,000. In 2020, Watson will earn a base salary of $1,177,123 and a roster bonus of $1,177,123, while carrying a cap hit of $4,408,207 and a dead cap value of $2,053,961.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Per Spotrac:

Deshaun Watson signed a 4 year, $160,000,000 contract with the Houston Texans, including a $27,000,000 signing bonus, $111,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $40,000,000. In 2020, Watson will earn a base salary of $1,177,123 and a roster bonus of $1,177,123, while carrying a cap hit of $4,408,207 and a dead cap value of $2,053,961.
I dunno but with that kinda deal and that financial fire power how does one avoid the temptation of going out and celebrating even if it's in the middle of a pandemic ?

House of Pain

Wild Speculator
Watson signed up to 2025. Tunsil up until 2023. Makes the extension length for Tunsil even more curious.
I think if BoB sticks around, they will continue to develop someone to take over Tunsil's spot if they don't like his asking price. I think Max Scharping to RT and Tytus Howard to LT happens if Tunsil is gone.

And if you're wondering, Yes, BoB will definitely not think twice about all the capital he gave up to get Tunsil and cut him.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Per Spotrac:

No increase to 2020 cap surprises me as signing bonus pro rate usually begins in first year. $18 million cap space remains..for what type use? Other free agents, trades or roll overs?

dream_team

Hall of Fame
No increase to 2020 cap surprises me as signing bonus pro rate usually begins in first year. $18 million cap space remains..for what type use? Other free agents, trades or roll overs?
Seems like a waste if we didn't put more of that $160 mil towards this season.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Mahomrs is already an MVP and SB champ. It’s a foregone conclusion he’s getting 40 per. DW4...as good as he is isn’t getting that..but he will get close...37-38 per. I think a lot of what happens depends on how next year goes. We do well, these guys are probably good to go to resign. We do bad, BoB will have to be fired for both to want to resign...or at least Tunsil anyway.

ballparking it though

DW4 = 4 years 148...70 or so guaranteed.... 37 per

Tunsil 4 years 78...48-50 guaranteed...19.5 per
The GM has been paying each player a little more (actually more than a little more), everything is going to add up.

Like I had said, things will begin to show in 2021, but the real effect is going to be 2022.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
The GM has been paying each player a little more (actually more than a little more), everything is going to add up.

Like I had said, things will begin to show in 2021, but the real effect is going to be 2022.
That's typically how it goes. Fans are always under the illusion that guys shouldn't get more than a certain number & pretty much every time they get a little more. I wrote that post pre-Mahomes deal. Obviously he reset the market big time with his deal & if i'd wrote that post post-mahomes, i would've guessed around 39 mil per for DW4.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
That's typically how it goes. Fans are always under the illusion that guys shouldn't get more than a certain number & pretty much every time they get a little more. I wrote that post pre-Mahomes deal. Obviously he reset the market big time with his deal & if i'd wrote that post post-mahomes, i would've guessed around 39 mil per for DW4.
You could argue for DW4's case, but I don't see it for the other guys with new contracts this year.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
The bloke was already driving a Bentayga, not really sure what he needs all that extra dosh for?
He’s a great QB but his coach needs to find a way for him to look it consistently. If OB can’t do that then the regime change is a huge question mark as to whether Watson thrives on that or if he can’t unlearn and relearn his craft.
As such, I worry that the time for the extension has arrived before the Texans organisation has truly worked out where it is at with OBrien, and that makes this a big money gamble, because the QB can’t succeed beyond what he’s schemed.

I still cling on to the hope that the new look receiver corps is better than having Hopkins demanding all the attention.
Also, I fully understand that this deal needed to happen now or else Watson was likely going to end up in Boston in the near future.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
You could argue for DW4's case, but I don't see it for the other guys with new contracts this year.
I'm not saying any particular player deserves it, i'm just saying that's typically how it goes across the board for most players across most teams in the NFL. If we as fans have an idea of what we think the player should be paid, you know the player agent does............ & its his job to try to get over that & most times the players' agent succeeds. The FO most times obliges simply b/c they still hold the power of being able to cut these guys before the contract is up thereby limiting their exposure. The guaranteed money is all that matters in the end & that's why i don't get too bent out of shape about the overall numbers and amount per year. Now if this was the NBA....it'd be a different story with me.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I'm not saying any particular player deserves it, i'm just saying that's typically how it goes across the board for most players across most teams in the NFL. If we as fans have an idea of what we think the player should be paid, you know the player agent does............ & its his job to try to get over that & most times the players' agent succeeds. The FO most times obliges simply b/c they still hold the power of being able to cut these guys before the contract is up thereby limiting their exposure. The guaranteed money is all that matters in the end & that's why i don't get too bent out of shape about the overall numbers and amount per year. Now if this was the NBA....it'd be a different story with me.
I see it applying mostly to top 5 players at a particular position, give or take.
The marquis players on each team would get that, but as a GM, I don't think you can tag more than 5 (if that many) to be in such a category where the agents/players may be able to extract such deal.

The Texans now have 10 players with a per year salary of $10M or more (9 if we discount Watson this year, but I think the signing bonus should not allow that).

In the AFC south, the Colts are second, with 7 players (including Brissett).

And the Texans are fortunated that Watt doesn't ask for a new contract.

banned1976

sleeper mode
Unless there are other transactions anticipated. Perhaps Carlos Watkins get huge $ to extend? :kitten: Clowney, Peterson, Lamar Miller? Someone else expected to be cut?
No to all. At least I hope so.

I really don’t see many opportunities to improve the roster at this time. Kudos to O’Brien in solidifying the LT, QB positions for at least a little while and wrapping up a priority (to me, anyway) defensive player in Cunningham. If the gambles on the RB and WR acquisitions pay off in a big way O’Brien could have me eating crow.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I see it applying mostly to top 5 players at a particular position, give or take.
The marquis players on each team would get that, but as a GM, I don't think you can tag more than 5 (if that many) to be in such a category where the agents/players may be able to extract such deal.

The Texans now have 10 players with a per year salary of $10M or more (9 if we discount Watson this year, but I think the signing bonus should not allow that).

In the AFC south, the Colts are second, with 7 players (including Brissett).

And the Texans are fortunated that Watt doesn't ask for a new contract.
Watt’s not really in a position to ask for a new deal...and the only reason the Colts aren’t in a similar position is b/c they effectively started a rebuild after Luck decided to hang them up. If he doesn’t do that, I think it changes the entire way they go about building their team...which almost certainly means that they have at least 1 high priced WR and probably another high priced defensive player.

badboy

Hall of Fame
The bloke was already driving a Bentayga, not really sure what he needs all that extra dosh for?
He’s a great QB but his coach needs to find a way for him to look it consistently. If OB can’t do that then the regime change is a huge question mark as to whether Watson thrives on that or if he can’t unlearn and relearn his craft.
As such, I worry that the time for the extension has arrived before the Texans organisation has truly worked out where it is at with OBrien, and that makes this a big money gamble, because the QB can’t succeed beyond what he’s schemed.

I still cling on to the hope that the new look receiver corps is better than having Hopkins demanding all the attention.
Also, I fully understand that this deal needed to happen now or else Watson was likely going to end up in Boston in the near future.
Bentayga ugliest looking Bentley I've ever seen. If Watson didn't think Obrien can get him to SB he should have gone to Cal. That may have gotten him traded #4 that is.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Watt’s not really in a position to ask for a new deal...and the only reason the Colts aren’t in a similar position is b/c they effectively started a rebuild after Luck decided to hang them up. If he doesn’t do that, I think it changes the entire way they go about building their team...which almost certainly means that they have at least 1 high priced WR and probably another high priced defensive player.
Watt still led the team in total QB pressure despite playing less than half season, not to mention the 3 batted passes and 2 fumble recovery, not with full health.
His play was a key part in the come back win against the Bills.
If he playsa full season, everybody knows he's worth more than what he's making.

And no, the Colts were never in rebuilding mode.
They only missed the playoffs because of Hoyer and the kicker AV.
They had plenty of cap space, but they thought AV still had it.

They probably have the best roster in the AFC south this year and still has the most cap space, too.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
The Colts had other injury issues, too.
Most notably were TY Hilton and Paris Campbell.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Watt still led the team in total QB pressure despite playing less than half season, not to mention the 3 batted passes and 2 fumble recovery, not with full health.
His play was a key part in the come back win against the Bills.
If he playsa full season, everybody knows he's worth more than what he's making.

And no, the Colts were never in rebuilding mode.
They only missed the playoffs because of Hoyer and the kicker AV.
They had plenty of cap space, but they thought AV still had it.

They probably have the best roster in the AFC south this year and still has the most cap space, too.

yeah he is...when he’s able to play. He’s missed 30+ games over the last 4 seasons and he’s 10 years in. Sure he could ask for a new contract, but any team offering him big money is either renting him for a season, or is crazy.

The Colts still don’t have a qb and every year you don’t have a qb, you’re basically rebuilding in my eyes. Then picking up Rivers, they still don’t have 1. Miss me with all the injury and best roster in the AFC south stuff.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
yeah he is...when he’s able to play. He’s missed 30+ games over the last 4 seasons and he’s 10 years in. Sure he could ask for a new contract, but any team offering him big money is either renting him for a season, or is crazy.

The Colts still don’t have a qb and every year you don’t have a qb, you’re basically rebuilding in my eyes. Then picking up Rivers, they still don’t have 1. Miss me with all the injury and best roster in the AFC south stuff.
Pre-Covid, Clowney was looking for $19M;
Watt is making 16.67
Seventeen guys will be making more than that this year.
That's just not right.

The Colts have a good QB in Rivers.
Look up the SB winner in the last 20 years.
More than half of them only need a so-so to worse QB than Rivers to win it.
If you go back just a little more, Elways and his two SB wins come t mind.
The recent Broncos won with an immobile Manning (2015).

I had re-watched all of the Chargers game from last year.
Rivers still has it; his O-line was just terrible (look up any ranking or metric you like, or watch the games yourself.)

The Colts can still compete well with Brissett.
Don't forget that he was injured last year, too.
That was when Hoyer came in and sh..t the bed as he normally does.
And Brissett was never the same after the injury. (He threw for 14 TDs in 7 games vs. 4 for the rest of the year.)
The Colts were 5-2 before his injury (including wins against the Texans, Titans, and Chiefs.)

And Jacob Eason is a better QB prospect than Brissett.
Kurt Warner even picked him over Justin Herbert.
I think he'll be better than Brissett.
It's a great situation for him to come in and learn from Rivers for a year or three.

The Colts had sustained injuries to 8 or 9 starters from the opening day roster throughout the years plus other minor injuries.
They lost 3 games by 3 and another one by 4.
Three of the losses can be pinned on AV and Hoyer.

If they only had a healthy Brissett.
Like the Texans had a healthy Watson.
They would have been more competitive.
Don't forget that Brissett had out-dueled Watson by a mile in week 7.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Before he became a Colt, I rooted for Rivers. Used to love watching him play. I don’t understand why the Chargers hadn’t been more successful.

Same thing with Stafford in Detroit. He should ask to be traded.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Yep JJ said it best that timing not right and he needs to show he is worth more money.
I don’t want to pay him more money. I don’t want him to ask for more money. But even as bad as his availability has been, he’s still our most productive & dependable DL.

Sad, I know. But if he’s going to ask for a new contract now’s the time.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Before he became a Colt, I rooted for Rivers. Used to love watching him play. I don’t understand why the Chargers hadn’t been more successful.

b/c he’s a statue and a TO machine that’s why...Heat him up with the pass rush and watch him make mistakes..or you get a ton of sacks......or both. Easiest qb to gameplan against.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Pre-Covid, Clowney was looking for $19M;
Watt is making 16.67
Seventeen guys will be making more than that this year.
That's just not right.

The Colts have a good QB in Rivers.
Look up the SB winner in the last 20 years.
More than half of them only need a so-so to worse QB than Rivers to win it.
If you go back just a little more, Elways and his two SB wins come t mind.
The recent Broncos won with an immobile Manning (2015).

I had re-watched all of the Chargers game from last year.
Rivers still has it; his O-line was just terrible (look up any ranking or metric you like, or watch the games yourself.)

The Colts can still compete well with Brissett.
Don't forget that he was injured last year, too.
That was when Hoyer came in and sh..t the bed as he normally does.
And Brissett was never the same after the injury. (He threw for 14 TDs in 7 games vs. 4 for the rest of the year.)
The Colts were 5-2 before his injury (including wins against the Texans, Titans, and Chiefs.)

And Jacob Eason is a better QB prospect than Brissett.
Kurt Warner even picked him over Justin Herbert.
I think he'll be better than Brissett.
It's a great situation for him to come in and learn from Rivers for a year or three.

The Colts had sustained injuries to 8 or 9 starters from the opening day roster throughout the years plus other minor injuries.
They lost 3 games by 3 and another one by 4.
Three of the losses can be pinned on AV and Hoyer.

If they only had a healthy Brissett.
Like the Texans had a healthy Watson.
They would have been more competitive.
Don't forget that Brissett had out-dueled Watson by a mile in week 7.
The Colts don’t scare me...They’ve really got nothing on the outside for Rivers to get the ball to......Hilton and Marlon Mack are injury machines...Taylor is a rookie and then there’s Rivers, who’s a sack magnet and TO machine. They’ll likely be facing the same issues this year.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member

both had that choice of not taking the money from an organization which may or may not have been good enough to put a truly competitive team around them...it is easy for me to say don't take the life-changing deal from a team, but at least in the case of Detroit that's been below average football organization for a really long time

badboy

Hall of Fame
I don’t want to pay him more money. I don’t want him to ask for more money. But even as bad as his availability has been, he’s still our most productive & dependable DL.

Sad, I know. But if he’s going to ask for a new contract now’s the time.
33 million next two seasons, JJ hoping to play well enough to earn it. I don't want to see him hurt again. Millions in bank, great wife, great family and a Peyton Manning after football money making future ahead of him.