Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Watson’s a top 5 qb. Do you agree?

ATXtexanfan

Hall of Fame
Watson is not playing defense.

After we scored that TD to cut it to 10. The Chiefs scored after three plays. So please again tell me how's that on Watson again?
41-0 bro
41-0

One more time
41-0

Oh wait
Outscored 41-0

Imagine finding out your wife cheated on you. Then she says 41-0

Wasnt your fault
But she went 41-0 on you

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
When was Watson going to take over? What was he waiting for?

There was a 4th & 3 we needed to convert, he sat in the pocket waiting for someone to get open.

On the one Frank Clark sacked him... what was that? Did he forget which way the LOS was?

I'm not putting all the blame on Watson, but he was on the wrong end of a 41-0 run.

We scored 7 points in the final 3 qtrs of a divisional playoff game.

That thing we kept saying Watson wasn't going to allow to happen, he allowed. The "it" factor did not show up.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
When was Watson going to take over? What was he waiting for?

There was a 4th & 3 we needed to convert, he sat in the pocket waiting for someone to get open.

On the one Frank Clark sacked him... what was that? Did he forget which way the LOS was?

I'm not putting all the blame on Watson, but he was on the wrong end of a 41-0 run.

We scored 7 points in the final 3 qtrs of a divisional playoff game.

That thing we kept saying Watson wasn't going to allow to happen, he allowed. The "it" factor did not show up.
I agree. I just think we need a coach who can elevate the team. Including Watson.

Texansballer74

The Marine
His point is Watson did nothing to stop the bleeding. And to an extent he’s right.
I understand his point but Watson doesn’t play any defense. Yes Watson could’ve made a few plays but that would not have stop the bleeding. I gave an example of them scoring in three freaking plays. Three freaking plays, 80 yard drive bro.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I think the answer is no , he's not top 5 , not with this coaching staff.

The book on Watson is a simple one.

Drop 7 into coverage , playing tight , rush 4 and maintain lane / pocket integrity , just collapse it around him , confine him. He's going to miss open guys because of the pressure … and he's gonna make some highlight reel plays but if you limit those , you can get this offense off the field. This offense isn't going to string together many 10-15 play drives if the defense is consistent.

Basically what we've seen every opponent do for the last 6-7 games of this season.

It doesn't help when the coaching staff doesn't recognize what the defenses are doing and make adjustments - attack the edges (they did that early today and then got away from it) and use some quick hitters to loosen that back end up.

Watson needs an OC who drills it into his head that when his back foot hits the top of his drop , the ball needs to be gone - Or he needs to get gone. No waiting around for the pressure to get to him. Throw or Go.

Yes a lot of the blame goes on the coaching staff …. but its a fact that Watson misses quite a few opportunities. What we don't know is how he does in an offense better suited to him …. Better to find that out this coming season than after you pay him $35m per. OB needs to go …. So we can finds out what Watson really is before the Brinks Truck comes due.

amazing80

Hall of Fame

Drop 7 into coverage , playing tight , rush 4 and maintain lane / pocket integrity , just collapse it around him , confine him. He's going to miss open guys because of the pressure … and he's gonna make some highlight reel plays but if you limit those , you can get this offense off the field. This offense isn't going to string together many 10-15 play drives if the defense is consistent.

Basically what we've seen every opponent do for the last 6-7 games of this season.

It doesn't help when the coaching staff doesn't recognize what the defenses are doing and make adjustments - attack the edges (they did that early today and then got away from it) and use some quick hitters to loosen that back end up.

Watson needs an OC who drills it into his head that when his back foot hits the top of his drop , the ball needs to be gone - Or he needs to get gone. No waiting around for the pressure to get to him. Throw or Go.

Yes a lot of the blame goes on the coaching staff …. but its a fact that Watson misses quite a few opportunities. What we don't know is how he does in an offense better suited to him …. Better to find that out this coming season than after you pay him $35m per. OB needs to go …. So we can finds out what Watson really is before the Brinks Truck comes due.
I’m a huge Watson advocate and I’ve wanted him before the draft. See my trade the future for him thread somewhere.
But I agree with this. I want to see him with different t coaches before committing the money to him

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Oh, we know

Some just dont want to admit it.

BOB had a bad game today, if you're going to run a fake punt you should've gone for it on 4th and 1.

A new HC ain't gonna fix what's wrong with DW4. But hey, 51-7 says it's time for a new HC. IMHO

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I’m a huge Watson advocate and I’ve wanted him before the draft. See my trade the future for him thread somewhere.
But I agree with this. I want to see him with different t coaches before committing the money to him
You're wasting $$$$.

But hey, it ain't your $$$$.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
I feel like most of us can agree that we will need to reach that expensive second contract before we know for sure what we have in Watson.

Just like we’ve seen Tennessee and Jax forced to do with their slow developing busted QB’s in recent history.

It’s a shame that OB is going to be back next year simply because it delays that process by another year.

No one can say for certain if Deshaun gets rolling under a better coach, I don’t think there are many QBs around the league who have anybody like WFV blowing the top off the defence every game, yet we don’t hit the quick routes that open up in his wake.

It scares me that knowledgable people around here see things that can’t be fixed in his game, yet the talking heads seem happy to keep him in the conversation with Mahomes and Jackson which keeps me hoping.

Texansballer74

The Marine
I feel like most of us can agree that we will need to reach that expensive second contract before we know for sure what we have in Watson.

Just like we’ve seen Tennessee and Jax forced to do with their slow developing busted QB’s in recent history.

It’s a shame that OB is going to be back next year simply because it delays that process by another year.

No one can say for certain if Deshaun gets rolling under a better coach, I don’t think there are many QBs around the league who have anybody like WFV blowing the top off the defence every game, yet we don’t hit the quick routes that open up in his wake.

It scares me that knowledgable people around here see things that can’t be fixed in his game, yet the talking heads seem happy to keep him in the conversation with Mahomes and Jackson which keeps me hoping.
There’s only a select few that thinks that way. The youngster has plenty of room to improve. He’s already improved in quite a few areas in his game. We can keep OB, just hire a Competent OC who will call all the offensive plays. Bill needs to step down from that job title. If he’s not willing, then he has to go!

Last edited:

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!

I agree with some of this. It's the same thing Rodgers and Rothlrisberger struggled with. Big Ben had his best yrs with Todd Haley and he ran him out of time. On the other hand, when they drop 7 and you dont have zone beaters, or you're running 3 man routes, that wont help. My opinion is he's at a coaching disadvantage with Obrien. If we really put it in context, Andy Reid has proven to get the best out of qbs. What has OB proven. Until Watson, the offense was 21ppg under his leadership. They need to move on, hire a gm, and let him hire the next coach.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
So Watson doesnt throw a pick, and doesnt fumble the ball away, and yet he's the main guy that the sensible fans point the finger at when things went wrong? LMAO. Watson should just throw himself the ball, run the ball up the middle himself, return kicks (and not fumble them), line up as the flanker on fake punts on your own 35. have him play strong safety while you're at it, he would have had as much success as anyone else against Kelce. How about having him play a gunner with the special teams? Maybe even have him kick the ball since our kicker chose the worst possible time to doink the ball to the best return man in football?

"Watson sucks he can only play one position he's the problem"

eriadoc

Texan-American
The wheel bearing goes out on your truck. It's a piece of crap truck, but you put a new crate engine in it a few years ago, so you're going to keep it. And it does move now, so that's something. But you let that bearing go, procrastinating and delaying the inevitable. I mean, you're broke. Every time you hit a pothole, the entire front end shudders and you have to almost stop just to get it under control. Still, you let it go. One day, the wheel falls off the truck, you get in a major wreck and the whole thing is shot.

That damn engine must have been the problem.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Realistically, I don’t believe O’Brien will be fired this offseason. Cal must hire a GM and a new OC; two men that have no previous relationship with O’Brien.

Basically, O’Brien needs to have his work duties reduced to coaching only - and he needs to improve at that job.

Sean Salisbury said this morning that Watson needs to improve and once he does he’ll be playing at a higher level. I believe that to be true if he gets to work with an OC that develops a scheme that enhances his abilities.
Bottom line is, until the things above happen the offense will continue to be inconsistent. The loss to KC perfectly encapsulated what we’ve seen all year. An offense that one minute looks like a juggernaut and the next a wounded duck
There's a lot wrong with this offense and it starts with OB …. and lets run it up the gut on first down , poor route designs and a host of other issues.

But lets face it , Watson isn't the decision maker he needs to be for this offense or any other system to flourish. He holds the ball until its doomsday …. and teams have zeroed in on that flaw and invite him to do so while keeping him in an ever shrinking pocket. Teams are using his strength of avoiding pressure and extending plays against him - They know he'll stand back there and hang onto it so they invite him to do just that.

Yes , OB's offense sucks …. but Watson sucks at executing OB's sucky offense.

Then maybe we need to call up Cincy and inquire about 1:1 and whatever else we can squeeze out of them for a superstar QB.

That’s not at all what I wrote. I expect him to improve his pocket awareness. That can be coached.

Pocket awareness isn't the issue here , Watson's pocket awareness is very good. He feels pressure and slides around the pocket …. what he doesn't have is any urgency to get rid of the ball because he thinks he can escape that looming pressure and make a play - Very often he's right but there are also far too many times he isn't or it isn't enough to move the chains or results in sacks.

Watson has to either get the ball out quicker or get out of the pocket quicker - He cant be content to just stand in the pocket waiting for something to open up.

I know people don't want to hear it …. but that offense generated a total of 14 points against the Chiefs Sunday , the defense and special teams accounted for 17.
After going up 24-0 the offense generated a grand total of 7 points the rest of the game.

They couldn't sustain a single drive against a very weak defense missing its best lineman.

Don't take that as me exonerating the defense for their epic failure giving up TD's on 7 straight possessions but …. the offense did NOTHING and Watson is the trigger man of that offense and deserves his share of the criticism.

badboy

Hall of Fame

Why on the bolded? There is zero reason to extend him until end of fourth year-2020. We still control his year five option 2021 which should be utilized & pay him or not after 2020 season. We still may not have a better idea of what he will be but four years of film has to be better than three. There is no Clowney issue in O'Brien's mind..at least that we know of that indicates Watson will "force" his way out and even if there were Clowney had 5 th year option behind him..it was his 6th and taggable year that he and team faced. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/jadeveon-clowney-14410/cash-earnings/

There is no reason to pay him early as it saves us no money. The only reason if he will agree to add new money onto end of this current contract.

badboy

Hall of Fame
The wheel bearing goes out on your truck. It's a piece of crap truck, but you put a new crate engine in it a few years ago, so you're going to keep it. And it does move now, so that's something. But you let that bearing go, procrastinating and delaying the inevitable. I mean, you're broke. Every time you hit a pothole, the entire front end shudders and you have to almost stop just to get it under control. Still, you let it go. One day, the wheel falls off the truck, you get in a major wreck and the whole thing is shot.

That damn engine must have been the problem.
cute example but in no way examples the issue. I agree your wheel bearing is accurate but your engine is not doing all it can & at three years old needs a tune up by an "excellent" mechanic; which we do not have. The engine needs to be put on a strict maintenance program with new "parts" and premium oil "knowledge or info" constantly being put in. A car engine is just a motor, Watson is a person that brings different things and plays a different role. He is a "very good engine but can be better." Let's not overlook that.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Why on the bolded? There is zero reason to extend him until end of fourth year-2020. We still control his year five option 2021 which should be utilized & pay him or not after 2020 season. We still may not have a better idea of what he will be but four years of film has to be better than three. There is no Clowney issue in O'Brien's mind..at least that we know of that indicates Watson will "force" his way out and even if there were Clowney had 5 th year option behind him..it was his 6th and taggable year that he and team faced. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/jadeveon-clowney-14410/cash-earnings/

There is no reason to pay him early as it saves us no money. The only reason if he will agree to add new money onto end of this current contract.
Why do you wanna cause that type of headache? This youngster is better than Wentz and that other youngster who got paid big time. Therefore, you can best believe it’s a good chance of them extending him soon rather than later.

Texansballer74

The Marine

As the Houston Texans prepare for one of the most important games in franchise history, the front office is reportedly already thinking about the future and making sure Deshaun Watson stays in Houston for years to come.

According to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport, the Texans are hoping to sign a long-term contract extension with Watson this offseason. The move would likely come after the Chiefs sign Patrick Mahomes to a record-breaking deal.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member

That's where you are wrong - Watson is under contract for another year - We don't have to back the Brinks Truck up not knowing what we have. We have another year and shouldn't waste it with OB. It could be a $150m mistake.
OB should have been fired the moment the clock hit 0:00 and the search for a new HC started immediately.
That eventual replacement for OB has to convince me that he can get the best out of Watson's talents and explain to me how he's going to do that - How he's going to make teams pay for how they currently defend Watson which has been really simple concepts - nothing exotic at all. Rush 4 , sometimes 3 and drop 7-8 while collapsing the pocket and doing your best to keep him within it.

That just takes any heat off those guys on the back end of the defense as they don't really have to worry about Watson scrambling.

What's really sad is the assets used on the OL and they really haven't improved over last years train wreck when you get right down to the nuts and bolts of it all.

I don't think there's anything about Watson's game that cant be fixed with good coaching and proper scheming.

You go back to the first 7 games of Watson's career and he had the quickest release in the league , now …. he's holding the ball and playing right into what defenses want him to do which is stay in the pocket until it breaks down. Teams don't even blitz him anymore because they don't have to.

Bottom line is that OB needs to go away , far away and we need to find a quality HC and OC , preferably running a WCO. Watson's skillset is made for it.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
SI
The Houston Texans will be working hard to find a way to extend quarterback Deshaun Watson this off-season to make sure he is entrenched in the franchise for the foreseeable future.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
I think we all expected that …. I was just saying it doesn't have to be that way. It could turn out to be $175m mistake --- $35mx5 ?
Yeah, see that's the thing. We've all seen what Watson can do, and we've all seen he doesn't do that all the time. Some push more of the blame on Watson himself, others (like me) put more of the blame on OB. So which of us are right? I can tell you this, when it comes to Watson we probably just won't ever know unless he gets a new HC. And I'd much rather replace OB for that little experiment.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Why do you wanna cause that type of headache? This youngster is better than Wentz and that other youngster who got paid big time. Therefore, you can best believe it’s a good chance of them extending him soon rather than later.
Exactly!! Perfect example of what I'm talking about! Carson Wentz was paid after his fourth year of his original rookie deal. The fifth year option was waived and 2020 becones his first year of his four-year extension. He was paid a 16 million dollar signing bonus that was spread over all five years of the new deal. his 2020 base salary is less than three quarters of a million dollars.

Using your example why not wait until after Dashaun's 4th year before making a decision to pay him?

badboy

Hall of Fame

As the Houston Texans prepare for one of the most important games in franchise history, the front office is reportedly already thinking about the future and making sure Deshaun Watson stays in Houston for years to come.

According to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport, the Texans are hoping to sign a long-term contract extension with Watson this offseason. The move would likely come after the Chiefs sign Patrick Mahomes to a record-breaking deal.
I think you may have posted the wrong link? There is nothing on that link that says anything about what your post says nor could I find anything from Rapaport. I am not saying it's not true just nothing to confirm it

badboy

Hall of Fame
If it was coming from Rapoport or even Mark Berman locally I would be more willing to trust it. I am hoping that Chris Olsen have some input on a decision. as with any contract I want to withhold judgment until I know the nuts and bolts of the deal especially guaranteed money

stingray

Hall of Fame
There's a lot wrong with this offense and it starts with OB …. and lets run it up the gut on first down , poor route designs and a host of other issues.

But lets face it , Watson isn't the decision maker he needs to be for this offense or any other system to flourish. He holds the ball until its doomsday …. and teams have zeroed in on that flaw and invite him to do so while keeping him in an ever shrinking pocket. Teams are using his strength of avoiding pressure and extending plays against him - They know he'll stand back there and hang onto it so they invite him to do just that.

Yes , OB's offense sucks …. but Watson sucks at executing OB's sucky offense.

Then maybe we need to call up Cincy and inquire about 1:1 and whatever else we can squeeze out of them for a superstar QB.

Pocket awareness isn't the issue here , Watson's pocket awareness is very good. He feels pressure and slides around the pocket …. what he doesn't have is any urgency to get rid of the ball because he thinks he can escape that looming pressure and make a play - Very often he's right but there are also far too many times he isn't or it isn't enough to move the chains or results in sacks.

Watson has to either get the ball out quicker or get out of the pocket quicker - He cant be content to just stand in the pocket waiting for something to open up.

I know people don't want to hear it …. but that offense generated a total of 14 points against the Chiefs Sunday , the defense and special teams accounted for 17.
After going up 24-0 the offense generated a grand total of 7 points the rest of the game.

They couldn't sustain a single drive against a very weak defense missing its best lineman.

Don't take that as me exonerating the defense for their epic failure giving up TD's on 7 straight possessions but …. the offense did NOTHING and Watson is the trigger man of that offense and deserves his share of the criticism.
You can win a playoff game scoring 14 points... probably won’t but you can. but you will never ever win a playoff game allowing 51 points.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Whenever they reup DW4 starts the 5 yr clock of what we've seen for almost 3 yrs. Some great QB play, Some awful QB play.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
You can win a playoff game scoring 14 points... probably won’t but you can. but you will never ever win a playoff game allowing 51 points.
Oh I'm not going to argue against that ….

What I was getting at is the offense didn't do the defense any favors at all from the start of the 2nd quarter forward. (Neither did OB do the defense any favors)

If they sustain one drive in that second quarter , it likely changes the entire complexion of the game. Just eat up some clock , keep that offense off the field for a while …. they couldn't convert.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one

I am talking about this teams MO from upper management down.
Cal will view this year as a success.
Will view progress from last year to this in terms of which round they made.
That gives OB at least next year.
If OB has another year, you have at least a season where the upper management can’t act because they haven’t worked out what is going on coaching vs talent yet and the pieces aren’t in place.
I get the point both you and Corrosion are making, it shouldn’t have to be this way.

But we all remember the decision making process in 2006 that cost the franchise a lot of cap space, held them back in their QB search for a year.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
Texans screwed the pooch. The "all in" while on a QB rookie deal has come and gone. Time to pay the piper! Hmm I wonder if the Texans will bring up his "no progress in 3 years" as a negotiating tactic?? LMAO.

oh yea by the way this is what "no progress" looks like: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WatsDe00.htm
Playoffs Passing

YearAgeTmPosGGSQBrecCmpAttCmp%YdsTDTD%IntInt%1DLngY/AAY/AY/CY/GRateSkYdsNY/AANY/ASk%4QCGWD
2018*23HOUQB110-1294959.223512.012.013204.84.38.1235.069.73184.173.695.8
2019*24HOUQB221-1517766.263533.900.031548.29.012.5317.5104.611546.607.2812.511
Career331-28012663.587043.210.844546.97.210.9290.091.014725.705.9510.011

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Oh I'm not going to argue against that ….

What I was getting at is the offense didn't do the defense any favors at all from the start of the 2nd quarter forward. (Neither did OB do the defense any favors)

If they sustain one drive in that second quarter , it likely changes the entire complexion of the game. Just eat up some clock , keep that offense off the field for a while …. they couldn't convert.
They were snake bit.

They weren't capable of anything once they lost that 4th down fake punt. They knew it was over.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
His point is Watson did nothing to stop the bleeding. And to an extent he’s right.
No, he's not right.
It's the defense's job not to get "run out of the gym" (as we say in B-ball) by the other team. What happened to "if we can't score we won't let you score either"...?? Where did the defensive pride go??

No you can't put that on the offense. No way.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
No, he's not right.
It's the defense's job not to get "run out of the gym" (as we say in B-ball) by the other team. What happened to "if we can't score we won't let you score either"...?? Where did the defensive pride go??

No you can't put that on the offense. No way.
Disagree. If the offense scores at a reasonable rate we still win. Sure, the defense sh*t the bed. After the first quarter what did the offense do? What?

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Disagree. If the offense scores at a reasonable rate we still win. Sure, the defense sh*t the bed. After the first quarter what did the offense do? What?

Really , what did the offense do in the first quarter aside from One Play.

Special teams scored a TD and set them up inside the 10 on the other score.

Defense gave them good field position on the FG drive.

Being up 24 …. against a questionable defense missing its best player they couldn't do anything to hang onto that lead. Couldn't score , couldn't string together a couple first downs , couldn't run time off the clock and shorten the game …. All they did was give it back to KC.

Both units deserve blame.

austins23

Hall of Fame
Couldn't score , couldn't string together a couple first downs , couldn't run time off the clock and shorten the game …. All they did was give it back to KC.
Below is the drive chart for the Texans. Highlighted yellow are the drives after the last FG.
1579355954141.png
And Houston won the TOP by dang near 10 minutes. But the longest KC TD drive was 3:55 so it's a bit misleading. Just a bad, bad, display of football. Coaching and playing.