Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Watson’s a top 5 qb. Do you agree?

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
If Allen keeps improving like he has been he will be better.

I've seen very little improvement in DW4's game. Be that BOB not being able to coach him to improve or Dw4 not doing what's necessary to improve. This why I have everybody with their panties in a wad around here. I think most of the issues with DW4 cant be fixed regardless and the otherside dont realize it but I'm on their side and hope I'm wrong since DW4's going to be here atleast another 5-7 yrs.
Watson's statistics suggest that otherwise, and he's playing in an offense where 4 to 5 other QB's all failed miserably in. Watson hasn't even had a bad season yet unlike Allen. I mean you can say it as your opinion, but numbers wise there is no argument for it. And the fact that he was the first and only QB that has ever played well under OB is also pretty telling that he is likely held back by O'Brien which makes it more impressive of him. Maybe Allen could surpass Watson at some point. Sure it could happen, but in his first two season he has not done anything to suggest he will, because Watson has also improved each year as well.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Watson's statistics suggest that otherwise, and he's playing in an offense where 4 to 5 other QB's all failed miserably in. Watson hasn't even had a bad season yet unlike Allen. I mean you can say it as your opinion, but numbers wise there is no argument for it. And the fact that he was the first and only QB that has ever played well under OB is also pretty telling that he is likely held back by O'Brien which makes it more impressive of him. Maybe Allen could surpass Watson at some point. Sure it could happen, but in his first two season he has not done anything to suggest he will, because Watson has also improved each year as well.
Cant argue the numbers.

I dont see the improvement you see in DW4. All I see is the same inconsistent from game to game QB that DW4 that he was as a rookie.

I mean he looked like crap against Carolina and great against Atl. Then he looks great against the Pats and like crap against the Ravens. I would be very happy if DW4 could consistently play like he did in the 2nd Colts game instead of all of these highs and lows.

If he could do this I think they could win a SB in 2021. But I dont see it happening.

austins23

Hall of Fame
Cant argue the numbers.

I dont see the improvement you see in OB. All I see is the same inconsistent from game to game HC that OB that he was as a rookie.

I mean he looked like crap against Carolina and great against Atl. Then he looks great against the Pats and like crap against the Ravens. I would be very happy if OB could consistently coach like he did in the 2nd Colts game instead of all of these highs and lows.

If he could do this I think they could win a SB in 2021. I see it happening.
Changed a few words around, but it fits just the same. Not trying to stir the pot, because I agree Watson is inconsistent. But so is OB.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Like I said. You prefer Josh Allen to Watson and lose all credibility when discussing things.
What is wrong with preferring Josh Allen to DW4?

I can see it. Josh Allen has that prototypical NFL QB build. Strong arm. Better than good accuracy.

He can very well be a very good QB in this league for a long time.

Phillip Rivers or Drew Brees... I don't think you could go wrong with either one. Give Payton Rivers & he'll still win a Super Bowl. Leave Brees in San Diego they still won't.

santo

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

I can see it. Josh Allen has that prototypical NFL QB build. Strong arm. Better than good accuracy.

Phillip Rivers or Drew Brees... I don't think you could go wrong with either one. Give Payton Rivers & he'll still win a Super Bowl. Leave Brees in San Diego they still won't.
So, you're implying we need to change the coach?

:smiliedance:

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was

I've done this already, but whatever: Josh Allen

Career
YearAgeTmPosNo.GGSQBrecCmpAttCmp%YdsTDTD%IntInt%1DLngY/AAY/AY/CY/GRateQBRSkYdsNY/AANY/ASk%4QCGWDAV
201822BUFQB1712115-6-016932052.82074103.1123.889756.55.412.3172.867.949.8282135.354.378.0236
201923BUFQB17161610-6-027146158.83089204.392.0146536.76.711.4193.185.345.8382375.725.717.645

Deshaun Watson:

YearAgeTmPosNo.GGSQBrecCmpAttCmp%YdsTDTD%IntInt%1DLngY/AAY/AY/CY/GRateQBRSkYdsNY/AANY/ASk%4QCGWDAV
201722HOUqb4763-3-012620461.81699199.383.985728.38.413.5242.7103.083.6191167.107.198.57
2018*23HOUQB4161611-5-034550568.34165265.191.8215738.28.512.1260.3103.160.7623846.676.8710.95516
2019*24HOUQB4151510-5-033349567.33852265.3122.4191547.87.711.6256.898.069.5442576.676.638.235
Career

so completing 58.8% of your passes is "better than good" ???? According to the raw numbers without taking into account intangibles (which I can argue are even further in Watsons favor) how can anyone with a straight face say that Allen is progressing faster than Watson, or that he is any shape, way or form "better"??? If you want to hang out on that "potential" limb with your buddy go right ahead, its a long fall.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame

As long as Watson can stay relatively healthy I like his potential more. His quickness and his quicker release favors him. He seems slightly more accurate to me without looking at the numbers and just using the eye test.

I don't think they were to far apart, but Brees was definitely a little bit better. He became a total tecnition as a passer running their offense. He's also had some epic fails from other players on his team that have taken them out of the playoffs once or twice that likely separates him a lot more. I get what you are saying though. Maybe if Rivers is on the Saints they win two SB's instead of one. Maybe Rivers would have made certain plays that Brees didn't in other games. Maybe they never win a single one either. We'll never know.

Josh Allen was dead last in completion percentage. Deshaun Watson was 6th. And it wasn't because of short passing. They have nearly the same yards per completion.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
I've done this already, but whatever: Josh Allen

Career
201822BUFQB1712115-6-016932052.82074103.1123.889756.55.412.3172.867.949.8282135.354.378.0236
201923BUFQB17161610-6-027146158.83089204.392.0146536.76.711.4193.185.345.8382375.725.717.645
Deshaun Watson:

201722HOUqb4763-3-012620461.81699199.383.985728.38.413.5242.7103.083.6191167.107.198.57
2018*23HOUQB4161611-5-034550568.34165265.191.8215738.28.512.1260.3103.160.7623846.676.8710.95516
2019*24HOUQB4151510-5-033349567.33852265.3122.4191547.87.711.6256.898.069.5442576.676.638.235
Career
so completing 58.8% of your passes is "better than good" ???? According to the raw numbers without taking into account intangibles (which I can argue are even further in Watsons favor) how can anyone with a straight face say that Allen is progressing faster than Watson, or that he is any shape, way or form "better"??? If you want to hang out on that "potential" limb with your buddy go right ahead, its a long fall.
I feel like Deshaun did a little more, but Allen sits up there pretty nicely for a 2nd year QB the more I examine them.

I think its worth adding that Watson went for 413 yards and 7 rushing TD's through 15 games (One less game) and Allen added 500 yards and 9 rushing TD's for the Bills. They both added a lot to that so Watson ended the season with 33 TD's to 12 INT's and 11 Fumbles. Allen had 29 TD's to 9 INT's and 14 Fumbles. Watson is one year ahead of Allen in terms of league experience.

Last edited:

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Josh Allen was dead last in completion percentage. Deshaun Watson was 6th. And it wasn't because of short passing. They have nearly the same yards per completion.
He also doesn't have the offensive weapons that Watson has though. He should have a lower % percentage. Him having the lowest definitely needs to improve. Overall though he got his team up and down the field for TD's by adding a lot of scrambling which he'll have to decrease on in the future to stay healthy just like Watson will.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Changed a few words around, but it fits just the same. Not trying to stir the pot, because I agree Watson is inconsistent. But so is OB.
Just because I dont think DW4 can win a championship doesn't mean I think BOB can win one.

Doesn't matter who the QB is for BOB and doesn't matter who the HC is for DW4.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
According to Barshop:

In Deshaun Watson’s career he’s completed 47% of his deep balls (20+ yards) with Will Fuller on field, with 14 touchdowns and seven interceptions. With Fuller off the field, he’s completed 38% with five touchdowns and six interceptions.

Buffalo66

Practice Squad
You guys have a top 5 qb. Team fan bases can be extra harsh on their own players Watson is not the problem. Buffalo runs the NE offense with Daboll and its not a great fit for Allen. Allen's asked to carry the offense pretty much. Maybe O'Brien isnt a great fit for what Watson does well

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
how can anyone with a straight face say that Allen is progressing faster than Watson, or that he is any shape, way or form "better"??? If you want to hang out on that "potential" limb with your buddy go right ahead, its a long fall.
Yeah... I'm not agreeing with anything he is saying. Only that different people prefer different things. Josh Allen is prototypical Watson is not.

A coach can win a lot of games with either of them.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
According to Barshop:

In Deshaun Watson’s career he’s completed 47% of his deep balls (20+ yards) with Will Fuller on field, with 14 touchdowns and seven interceptions. With Fuller off the field, he’s completed 38% with five touchdowns and six interceptions.
Good point. I remember the popular opinion around here was that Watson would save BO'bs job.

If BO'b can figure out how to keep Fuller in the game, he'll be wearing a Gold sports coat one day.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member

There is an argument that the Bill's used Allen more effectively than that Texans did Watson, but there is a great difference in what each was asked to carry.

IMO, Allen compares very much to Cam Newton, who did get his team to a SuperBowl, but has not been consistent enough with his accuracy throughout his career.

Buffalo66

Practice Squad
There is an argument that the Bill's used Allen more effectively than that Texans did Watson, but there is a great difference in what each was asked to carry.

IMO, Allen compares very much to Cam Newton, who did get his team to a SuperBowl, but has not been consistent enough with his accuracy throughout his career.
Allen size wise is comparable to Cam but he's a different qb. Bills dont utilize Allen on designed runs nearly as much. They could but a concussion and the elbow injury last year has made them think of him more in the long term. He'll run if you play man and turn your back and a occasional rpo run. Most of the rushing is from scrambles and not designed runs (he's not a tall white Lamar Jackson) In the red zone all bets are off as he seems to have a knack at getting into the end zone.

The accuracy there is some truth as he'll unleash a Rick "Wild Thing" Vaughn fastball now and then. Seems on some routine throws his mechanics fail and he'll throw off platform. In totality he's a much better passer than Cam. His completion % is skewed by the Bills passing offense featuring primarily intermediate routes to the wrs. Bills don't throw underneath much Allen rarely will take a check down and the Bills cant run a screen with any success Even the TE's are usually thrown to down the field not near the line of scrimmage. He has struggled mightily with the deep passes over 30 yards. Bills want to play conservative so he's been coached scared of the turnover and rarely will throw those 50/50 type deep passes. To be fair we lack a prototypical #1 wr with no disrespect to John Brown who gave the Bills a career season. Oh and the receiving core other than Brown tend to have the dropsies especially Dawson Knox

He's still a work in progress as is the cast around him Were a year away from being a true contender and that is if they have a good free agency with all that cap space and hit some draft picks again.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
Allen size wise is comparable to Cam but he's a different qb. Bills dont utilize Allen on designed runs nearly as much. They could but a concussion and the elbow injury last year has made them think of him more in the long term. He'll run if you play man and turn your back and a occasional rpo run. Most of the rushing is from scrambles and not designed runs (he's not a tall white Lamar Jackson) In the red zone all bets are off as he seems to have a knack at getting into the end zone.

The accuracy there is some truth as he'll unleash a Rick "Wild Thing" Vaughn fastball now and then. Seems on some routine throws his mechanics fail and he'll throw off platform. In totality he's a much better passer than Cam. His completion % is skewed by the Bills passing offense featuring primarily intermediate routes to the wrs. Bills don't throw underneath much Allen rarely will take a check down and the Bills cant run a screen with any success Even the TE's are usually thrown to down the field not near the line of scrimmage. He has struggled mightily with the deep passes over 30 yards. Bills want to play conservative so he's been coached scared of the turnover and rarely will throw those 50/50 type deep passes. To be fair we lack a prototypical #1 wr with no disrespect to John Brown who gave the Bills a career season. Oh and the receiving core other than Brown tend to have the dropsies especially Dawson Knox

He's still a work in progress as is the cast around him Were a year away from being a true contender and that is if they have a good free agency with all that cap space and hit some draft picks again.
Player comparisons are generally faulty in some way, but largely my thought is that Allen best work is still running the ball versus throwing it in the games I have seen him play. You see Allen all the time I can defer to that, but what you typed about Allen was similar to what I recall being said about Newton at times in the past. At the end of the day, Newton is a made man going into his 10th year and Allen really hasn't established who he is yet.

Buffalo66

Practice Squad
Player comparisons are generally faulty in some way, but largely my thought is that Allen best work is still running the ball versus throwing it in the games I have seen him play. You see Allen all the time I can defer to that, but what you typed about Allen was similar to what I recall being said about Newton at times in the past. At the end of the day, Newton is a made man going into his 10th year and Allen really hasn't established who he is yet.
Totally agree still not sure how it turns out for Allen but I've seen promising improvement. Its the playoffs and win or go home so they may unleash Allen as a runner but for the most part he's curtailed it to mostly scrambles. He's certainly capable of running between the tackles and off designed runs but McDermott saw the toll it took on Cam. I havent watched for a few quarters here and there of the Texans this year but if they dont pressure Allen he is very effective throwing the ball in the 10-20 yard range PFF wants the world to think he's Tim Tebow but then again they are still riding Baker Mayfield's jock

Texansballer74

The Marine
Which falls on coaching. Because this entire team is so freaking inconsistent. But as you can see, one member is only focused on the player he truly dislikes.

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club
Which falls on coaching. Because this entire team is so freaking inconsistent. But as you can see, one member is only focused on the player he truly dislikes.
I don’t think SB dislikes Watson, he’s just more critical of his play than most fans on here. I think it stems from some posters blaming everything on O while ignoring some of Waton’s flaws. I love Watson but there are things he needs to improve, however all young QBs have things to improve upon. I think QB is the hardest position to play in all of sports, and it takes time to master all the aspects. Young guys like Goff, Wentz, Mayfield have all looked really good in stretches, but have also struggled as well

Having said that, I hate OB’s offense. If I owned the team I’d STRONGLY encourage OB to hire a new OC that will install an offense that builds on the strengths of our best players while trying minimize their deficiencies. OB touts a ”game plan” offense, yet comes out and runs up the middle repeatedly against the top rushing defense in the NFL...WTF? Not to mention, TB really struggles against the pass.

You’re right though, OB needs to work our team inconsistencies. What good is it to beat a really good team then turn around and lay an egg a week later against mediocre one? With OB as our HC we’ve had a couple games each year where we don’t look ready to play, and it goes back to before Watson was our QB. This is something I’d be discussing with him in the off season because it needs to stop

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Yep, so did Eli Manning (twice), Brad Johnson, and Trent Dilfer.

Like O'Brien has said multiple times, inconsistency is a reflection of the head coach. He's the expert, so I'll take his word for it.

Yeah and now that we've been calling out him and the team for being inconsistent - he's (OB) crying foul.

Really I think Watson has a lot of potential …. but this multiple or whatever you want to call it offense just doesn't suit him.

I think he has too many options sometimes which leads to him holding the ball waiting for the bigger play which doesn't always present itself.

He's got to get the ball out at the top of his drop more often rather than dancing around waiting for something that may or may not happen.

If I were OC I'd put him in situations like Dabo did - two options and a checkdown - if none of that is there you can run or chuck it in the stands.

I would also design more plays that get him out of the pocket from the get go. His running ability puts an incredible strain on a defense - take advantage of that in play design.

All that bouncing around in a dirty pocket is just asking for an injury.

Cal and Co cant be so blind to this when even casual fans can point out what's wrong / not working. OB is nothing near the offensive genius he was sold on us as.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
I agree that 2020 should be the Bills year to win the AFC East. The effort is there from ownership. Just need to get the better FAs to take the $$$.

BTW, I really liked the movie, Buffalo66, you referenced in your forum name. Gallo is a kook, but he made an excellent film.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member

Eh , that's a little off the mark , they didn't really fail miserably and in fact I think for the most part those who played the QB spot before Watson exceeded expectations , at least record wise... Honestly I don't believe any of us thought FitzTragic / Hoyerable / Mullett at QB would lead to a winning record or playoff appearance tho there were some expectations from Os early on.
Those guys were just a bunch of journeyman placeholders , aside from Os , most realizing they were here until an eventual draft pick was made at the position.

FitzTragic , Mullett and Keenum combined to go 9-7 in 2014 but miss the playoffs.
Hoyerable , Mullett , WeedMan and Rowdy Yates combined for 9-7 and a playoff appearance in 2015.
2016 saw the Blundering Wizard of Os and Tom Average combine for 9-7 and a playoff win.
2017 was just a disaster ...
2018 Watson plays all 16 games goes 11-5 and a loss in the wildcard game.
2019 Watson plays 15 games , goes 10-5 and a playoff appearance.

Record wise Watson has been slightly better … but the results have been largely the same when it comes to real results. Only The Blundering Wizard of Os has a playoff win under OB. While Watson's lone playoff appearance was a loss to the Dolts at home.

mws

Rookie
O'Brien has had 3 QBs with a winning record starting a minimum of 9 games. This is regular season only.

Watson: 37 Games, 24-13 .649
Osweiler: 14 Games, 8-6 .571
Fitzpatrick: 12 Games, 6-6 .500
Hoyer: 9 Games, 5-4 .556
Savage: 9 Games, 2-7 .222
Mallett: 6 Games, 2-4 .333
Yates: 5 Games, 2-3 .400
Keenum: 2 Games, 2-0 1.000
Weeden: 1 Game, 1-0 1.000
McCarron: 1 Game, 0-1 .000

HouTx11

Rookie
FitzTragic , Mullett and Keenum combined to go 9-7 in 2014 but miss the playoffs.
Hoyerable , Mullett , WeedMan and Rowdy Yates combined for 9-7 and a playoff appearance in 2015.
2016 saw the Blundering Wizard of Os and Tom Average combine for 9-7 and a playoff win.
2018 Watson plays all 16 games goes 11-5 and a loss in the wildcard game...
Reading this makes me wonder what could have been for the Texans had Schaub stayed healthy throughout that 2011 season. How I dislike Albert Haynesworth for what he did!! I'm not saying that the Texans would have for sure beaten the Ravens in the Divisional Round that year, but I definitely think they'd had a better chance to do so with a healthy Schaub minus the lisfranc injury.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Ryan Tannehill becomes the highest-rated starting quarterback of 2019
January 1, 2020, 11:06 AM EST

2020 could be a very good year for Titans quarterback Ryan Tannehill. That’s because 2019 turned out to be unexpectedly great for him.

Tannehill, who started 10 games in place of ineffective up-or-out former No. 2 overall pick Marcus Mariota, finished the season with the highest passer rating of all starting quarterbacks.

With 22 touchdown passes, six interceptions, an average gain per throw of 9.6 yards, and a 70.3 completion percentage, Tannehill generated a 117.5 on the NFL’s passing formula, which bases its calculation on those four categories. Incredibly, it’s the fourth-highest single-season passer rating of all time, behind only Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers in 2011 (122.5), Colts quarterback Peyton Manning in 2004 (121.1), and Eagles quarterback Nick Foles in 2013 (119.2).

Next in 2019 was Saints quarterback Drew Brees, who missed five games with a thumb injury but still generated a passer rating of 116.3. That was the highest passer rating of his career.
Inevitable league MVP Lamar Jackson racked up a passer rating of 113.3, with a league-leading 36 touchdown passes and only six picks for the Ravens. Next was Vikings quarterback Kirk Cousins, with a career-high 107.4. Then came Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson, at 106.3.

Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford, who was limited to eight starts with a back injury, finished at 106.0. 2018 NFL MVP Patrick Mahomes, who missed two-plus games with a knee injury, quietly landed at 105.3. 49ers quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo racked up a rating of 102.0, starting all 16 games a year after a torn ACL wiped out his season in Week Three.

Raiders quarterback Derek Carr ended up on the right side of 100, at 100.8. (Whether that’s enough to get him another year with the team remains to be seen.)

The top 10 concludes with Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott, who had 30 touchdown passes, 11 interceptions, and a passer rating of 99.7.

The rest of the list of starters consists of Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson (98.0), Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers (95.4), Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz (93.1), Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan (92.1), Jaguars quarterback Gardner Minshew (91.2), Broncos quarterback Drew Lock (89.7), Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers (88.5), Colts quarterback Jacoby Brissett (88.0), Patriots quarterback Tom Brady (88.0), Giants quarterback Daniel Jones (87.7), Cardinals quarterback Kyler Murray (87.4), Rams quarterback Jared Goff (86.5), Dolphins quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick (85.5), Bills quarterback Josh Allen (85.3), Jets quarterback Sam Darnold (84.3), Buccaneers quarterback Jameis Winston (84.3), Bears quarterback Mitchell Trubisky (83.0), Panthers quarterback Kyle Allen (80.0), Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield (78.8), Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton (78.3), Washington quarterback Dwayne Haskins (76.1), and Steelers quarterback Devlin Hodges (71.4).

**********************************************************************************

This encouraged me to also research 2019 QBR rankings:

1577914690297.png

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club
Bills DE Shaq Lawson calls Texans' Deshaun Watson the NFL's best QB

Houston Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson is considered to be a part of the upper echelon of NFL quarterbacks. His dual threat abilities, aggressiveness and leadership, make for a tough beat for any defense. But is he the best quarterback in the NFL?

A member of his next opponent the Buffalo Bills seems to think so. On Tuesday, defensive end Shaq Lawson told Buffalo media that Watson is the best quarterback in the NFL.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Reading this makes me wonder what could have been for the Texans had Schaub stayed healthy throughout that 2011 season.
Got me wondering what year two would have looked like for Osweiler. I really think he was close to figuring out "O'brien's system" & he fits what Ob wants physically in a QB.

If he & BO'b could have developed that relationship Payton has with Brees I believe they could have done something special.

But Osweiler's a nutjob & BO'b is hotheaded & short sighted.

Uncle Rico

Good point. I remember the popular opinion around here was that Watson would save BO'bs job.

If BO'b can figure out how to keep Fuller in the game, he'll be wearing a Gold sports coat one day.
honestly its really as simple as moving Kenny Stills out to the wideout position when Fuller goes down. OBrien gets stubborn using Stills solely in the slot. They are essentially the same player. This offense should not stall out because Will Fuller gets hurt.

Uncle Rico

I think its AWESOME that Deshaun sent out a text to the whole team. It shows precisely WHY he's the QB and leader for this team. He's not just sending out a message to his "click" of guys/BFFs .. he's not staying quiet. However corny some of you guys might think it .. there is psychological aspect to confidence and self esteem and while Watson is oozing with the stuff some other guys may not. He's already won championships and knows what it takes, and now he's just hoping a few simple words will excite and instill some confidence to a team who has been up and down.

"Lets be great"

Almost perfect.

edit: how many of ya'll knew that confidence gives your an evolutionary edge?

Confidence by those who study the subject is "the degree to which you think and "feel" your actions will achieve positive results." I've learned no matter how bad a shot a basketball player takes, for example, when he shoots the ball, he thinks it going in—otherwise they wouldn't take the shot.

Be clear that confidence and self-esteem are not the same. Self-esteem refers to general feelings about yourself; confidence refers to your belief and feel in that you can perform a task successfully. I have good self-esteem but no confidence that I can land a plane or return a serve by Federer. The better you feel about yourself, though, the easier it becomes to build confidence for a specific task.

We all know that being confident gives you an edge of life and there are many articles written on how to “become confident.” Most of the recommendations are the same. I take a different approach and it yields some very different recommendations.

I start by looking at confidence through an “evolutionary-clinical lens.” After all, nobody invented confidence—it evolved because it gives you an evolutionary edge—to help you approach a task without trepidation—if you had to jump over a ledge, being confident would help you approach the task without distracting anxious thoughts that might make you stumble, just like they would today.

The catalyst to bring the function of confidence to life is the realization that your actions influence your results. In other words, "it's up to you." If you do not believe in this fully, you will not make efforts to do your best since the outcome is out of your control. Why study for a test if your studying makes no difference. Accepting that you can influence the outcome creates a sense of control and that initiates confidence.

If you met a 30-year-old confident individual, what type of experiences do you think he or she had to be who they are today. In other words, “How did they become confident?

When we look at the tons of research that identify "confident attributes" and use an “evolutionary-clinical lens,” we can make very accurate deductions about the type of experiences and behaviors that individuals who exhibit confidence must have experienced. Here they are and as you review the list, think about the degree to which experiences have been prominent or lacking in your life.

Accurate Self-Assessment: Many parents tell their kids they are great in everything, that they are talented and beautiful. This can result in overconfidence and distorted self-perceptions that inevitably are exposed and in fact, devastate the individual when the truth be known. Many schools are relentless in praise and often blind the student to where he or she needs to improve. Not every kid is a great artist. Many take this approach because they think it will build confidence, but in fact it doesn't. Confidence, or self-efficacy, is built by experiencing achievement, not through hollow praise.

Confident people grew up with a realistic appraisal of their abilities and thus knew where they stood. This allowed them to develop a strategy and plan to strengthen themselves and to use improvements to creates a positive feedback loop that strengthened their perception they can influence outcome, a perception that reduces anxiety when you enter pressure moments.

Engaged in Positive Visuals: If you can't imagine yourself being successful, confidence will be hard to come by. Confident people have a history of having playful positive visualizations of themselves in all sorts of moments. Throwing a touchdown, winning a beauty contest, discovering a cure for cancer, accepting academy award, running the country. The length of these mini day dreams is often a few seconds but having them "feels" confident.

Took Criticism Productively: Most people view criticism as a threat, a put-down, an attack. When you view criticism in this manner, it prevents you from benefiting from the information that you are receiving, information that often helps you improve and do your task better. Confident people, in grade school, high school, and college handled criticism differently. They perceived it as "information that can help them grow," and as a result, improved their task performance and boosted their confidence the next time they had to perform the task.

Had a Supportive Background: Confident people grew up with strong support systems starting with parents who were encouraging and offered "unconditional love." The confident child felt secure and thus fear of failure became minimized and learning easier when approaching a new task. This allowed them to approach their pressure moments--trying out for a play, spelling b, current event presentation, with a positive attitude.

Experienced a Confident Building Event: At one time or another confident people experienced an event that allowed them to believe "I can do it." An "A" on a test, a big little league hit, getting a part in the school play, a date with a pretty girl or handsome guy—all seem like minuscule events but in truth, are powerful events because they create feelings of confidence.

Individuals with low confidence can recall few of these events. This does not mean they did not have successful experiences when growing up. More likely, it means that they did not pay attention to their successes. Confident people developed themselves by noting and often celebrating their micro successes and used them, probably sub-consciously, to create positive expectations for more successful experiences. This experience is the root of the confidence building statement, "I did it once before, I can do it again.

If you want to feel more confident, I suggest you replicate these experiences by turning them into actions that you can integrate into your life. In effect, you will be internalizing the essence of confidence. If you need help, let me know.

Last edited:

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I think its AWESOME that Deshaun sent out a text to the whole team. It shows precisely WHY he's the QB and leader for this team. He's not just sending out a message to his "click" of guys/BFFs .. he's not staying quiet. However corny some of you guys might think it .. there is psychological aspect to confidence and self esteem and while Watson is oozing with the stuff some other guys may not. He's already won championships and knows what it takes, and now he's just hoping a few simple words will excite and instill some confidence to a team who has been up and down.

"Lets be great"

Almost perfect.

edit: how many of ya'll knew that confidence gives your an evolutionary edge?

I'll buy 3 words for 1577989120097.png

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Really wouldnt expect you to be supportive of this, but I find it cute nonetheless .. you would think such a learned medical man would know about the benefits of a positive outlook!

He'll change your mind too Doc.
You'll see.
I can certainly appreciate what you're saying............just as important, if not more so, as the benefits of a realistic outlook.

I would like nothing better than to see Watson turn his positive outlook into positive action accordingly...........for more than a game or two at a time, especially on the "big stage."

Uncle Rico

I can certainly appreciate what you're saying............just as important, if not more so, as the benefits of a realistic outlook.

I would like nothing better than to see Watson turn his positive outlook into positive action accordingly...........for more than a game or two at a time, especially on the "big stage."
He's gonna hit that TE in the seam and stop carrying the ball like a loaf of bread .. I promise!

He's already won the big game at each level .. he's barely 38 games into his professional career carrying a flawed roster. When he reaches out to the team with these cliches about playing hard and showing up its not so much for the 'stars' as it is for the 53rd guy on the roster. Leaders lead by example. Deshaun has done his part this year and has already gone on record saying how his turnovers lately have been killing the team and how he needs to be a better player - he is self aware - hopefully everyone else can show up too. It takes an entire team to win football games, not just the QB.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Eh , that's a little off the mark , they didn't really fail miserably and in fact I think for the most part those who played the QB spot before Watson exceeded expectations , at least record wise... Honestly I don't believe any of us thought FitzTragic / Hoyerable / Mullett at QB would lead to a winning record or playoff appearance tho there were some expectations from Os early on.
Those guys were just a bunch of journeyman placeholders , aside from Os , most realizing they were here until an eventual draft pick was made at the position.

2018 Watson plays all 16 games goes 11-5 and a loss in the wildcard game.
2019 Watson plays 15 games , goes 10-5 and a playoff appearance.

Record wise Watson has been slightly better … but the results have been largely the same when it comes to real results. Only The Blundering Wizard of Os has a playoff win under OB. While Watson's lone playoff appearance was a loss to the Dolts at home.
They were all total disasters.

Not a single one of them was worthy of anything. The defense carried those teams, and Arian Foster did his first year. The passing game has always been atrocious until Watson got here.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Yeah and now that we've been calling out him and the team for being inconsistent - he's (OB) crying foul.

Really I think Watson has a lot of potential …. but this multiple or whatever you want to call it offense just doesn't suit him.

I think he has too many options sometimes which leads to him holding the ball waiting for the bigger play which doesn't always present itself.

He's got to get the ball out at the top of his drop more often rather than dancing around waiting for something that may or may not happen.

If I were OC I'd put him in situations like Dabo did - two options and a checkdown - if none of that is there you can run or chuck it in the stands.

I would also design more plays that get him out of the pocket from the get go. His running ability puts an incredible strain on a defense - take advantage of that in play design.

All that bouncing around in a dirty pocket is just asking for an injury.

Cal and Co cant be so blind to this when even casual fans can point out what's wrong / not working. OB is nothing near the offensive genius he was sold on us as.
Yep, this "gameplan offense" nonsense does not suit Watson's skills. The NE scheme does not fit anyone not named Tom Brady.

We know whose offense would have been perfect for Watson. :thinking:

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
Got me wondering what year two would have looked like for Osweiler. I really think he was close to figuring out "O'brien's system" & he fits what Ob wants physically in a QB.

If he & BO'b could have developed that relationship Payton has with Brees I believe they could have done something special.

But Osweiler's a nutjob & BO'b is hotheaded & short sighted.
No way, Oz was not a leader of men. He did not have that it factor the other guys will die for. DW4 does Lots of guys can throw the rock, but processing information, leading men, and making plays makes them all pros. Oz was inconsistent even throwing. Could he get better, yeah, but he was not "the guy"

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
And this week, I want to see the offense dictating not being conservative. When we let it go, it seems unstoppable. Some hurry up too please. Too often the game plan is not to lose, let's go stomp these guys!

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
No way, Oz was not a leader of men. He did not have that it factor the other guys will die for. DW4 does Lots of guys can throw the rock, but processing information, leading men, and making plays makes them all pros. Oz was inconsistent even throwing. Could he get better, yeah, but he was not "the guy"
He needs to improve on the processing of information in real time.