Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Vonta Leach Signs Giants Offer Sheet - Texans Match

What if Kubiak is thinking of drafting FB/RB Brian Leonard in the 2nd round? :stirpot:

Given that we have very pressing needs at QB, OT, weakside DE, FS, CB,
WR, and our top FA pick-up this year was Ahman Green, do you really think the Texans have the luxury of using their 2nd round pick on a tweener running back OMT ?

Leach is 25 years old, with alot of good years behind him. But I don't think it will be with the Texans. I heard from a very reliable source he is signing with the Browns and the Texans haven't made an offer yet. Letting Leach go will just be another mistake the texans are going to have to answer for when the season takes a ugly turn again. :wild: :confused:

I'm confused. I thought the Texans tendered Leach and therefore can match any offer made by another team... Is this correct? If so, how is that this source says that Leach will sign with the Browns...

I'm confused. I thought the Texans tendered Leach and therefore can match any offer made by another team... Is this correct?

yup that's correct we have the ability to match any offer before allowing him to move on...the only thing is that if the let's say the browns were to sign him to contract they could put a poison pill in it where the texans would have to garentee the entire contract...most teams are very scared to do that with injuries...so if they did sign him i would think it would be 50/50 on our chances of matching the offer

yup that's correct we have the ability to match any offer before allowing him to move on...the only thing is that if the let's say the browns were to sign him to contract they could put a poison pill in it where the texans would have to garentee the entire contract...most teams are very scared to do that with injuries...so if they did sign him i would think it would be 50/50 on our chances of matching the offer

I thought the NFL put rules into play about poison pill langauge so that contracts like that of Hutchinson would not take place anymore?

I thought the NFL put rules into play about poison pill langauge so that contracts like that of Hutchinson would not take place anymore?

No they have not, but the GM's all got together and were for the most part PO'd about the incident. Most have refrained from using it so far this year.

yeah and even bitter divisional rivals such as the patriots and the dolphins have taken great strides not to do each other like that by "trading" my boy wes welker...it's unlikely that a franchise would do that to us for a FB but if they did they would send a signal to the rest of the league about the way they deal

wait, how can the browns (or any other team) put a clause in a texan's player contract for any reason?

in that case, peyton manning is owed a million-billion dollars so sayeth the texans.

Leach has been given a tender offer by the Texans. He is free to negotiate a deal with any other team in the league. The Texans then have the option to match if he reaches an agreement with another team.

wait, how can the browns (or any other team) put a clause in a texan's player contract for any reason?

in that case, peyton manning is owed a million-billion dollars so sayeth the texans.

It's because he's a restricted free agent. According to the rules, the player can go to another team and the team can put a contract on the table for that player. The original team can keep the player by basically offering him the same exact contract. So the "new" team puts a clause in the contract saying something like "if you play 8 games in the City of Houston during any season, we will pay you a bazillion dollars." Since the player won't play that many games in Houston if he signs with the new team, they're not really going to pay him that. But because it's in the contract, Houston has to offer him the same deal and they'll have to pay him a bazillion dollars to stay.

At least, that's my understanding of the "poison pill".

kffl.com has reported that the giants have made leach an offer

Giants | Team makes offer to Leach
Fri, 16 Mar 2007 14:42:29 -0700

Darren Urban, of the East Valley Tribune, reports the New York Giants have made an offer to restricted free-agent FB Vonta Leach (Texans), according to his agent.

kffl.com has reported that the giants have made leach an offer

Giants | Team makes offer to Leach
Fri, 16 Mar 2007 14:42:29 -0700

Darren Urban, of the East Valley Tribune, reports the New York Giants have made an offer to restricted free-agent FB Vonta Leach (Texans), according to his agent.

I hope it's not an offer we have to refuse.

what would the comp be for losing Leach?

Zero in terms of draft picks since he wasn't drafted and received the minimum tender.

But then there's always the top secret supplemental pick formula ... but I don't expect that he would garner much if anything there either.

A hardy nothing. Leach was undrafted and was given a minimum tender which carries only an opportunity to match.

If we would've tendered him more, would we have the opportunity for draft-pick compensation- given the fact that he was undrafted?

In other words, if we offered him the highest tender, would we be in line for a 1st and a 3rd had someone signed him away? How does that work?

Here's the quote from the East Valley Tribune writer:

Ralph Vitolo, the agent for restricted free agent fullback Vonta Leach, said he had not talked much with the Cardinals in the past week after Leach’s visit with the team. Vitolo said Leach has visited Cleveland and the New York Giants and could also visit Dallas. The Giants have put a “nice” offer on the table for Leach, Vitolo said.

Nice to see our crack Chronicle staff all over this....not......

Do they even care that they are getting scooped by a Cardinals beat writer on one of our own guys free agent status? I just listened to McClain and he was in FL watching the Astros - after seeing a movie this afternoon of course.

A word to the wise .... sometimes the Kffl headline writers embelish a bit. It's always best to go to the source - in this case the East Valley Trib. The kffl guys are not reporters pounding pavement or breaking anything. They are a bunch of guys cruising the internet and posting things they find in other media sources. They are a player info clearinghouse - and a very good one at that, where you can one-stop shop - but again, sometimes their interpretation of source articles and the headlines they generate sway off course a bit.

If we would've tendered him more, would we have the opportunity for draft-pick compensation- given the fact that he was undrafted?

In other words, if we offered him the highest tender, would we be in line for a 1st and a 3rd had someone signed him away? How does that work?

Yes, any RFA regardless of original draft status can be tendered at the mid level (1st round pick compensation) or high (1st and 3rd). It is just a question of how much money and I suspect Kubiak would like to keep him but still sees Cook as the more versatile player.

Yes, any RFA regardless of original draft status can be tendered at the mid level (1st round pick compensation) or high (1st and 3rd). It is just a question of how much money and I suspect Kubiak would like to keep him but still sees Cook as the more versatile player.

The RFA tender stuff changed last year. They added a 2nd round tender. From the '06 CBA:

(b) In order to receive the following specified Rights of First Refusal and/or Draft Choice Compensation
with respect to a Restricted Free Agent, the Prior Club of a Restricted Free Agent must tender the player a
Qualifying Offer on or before the first date of the Restricted Free Agent Signing Period, as follows:

(i) For Restricted Free Agents with three Accrued Seasons:

(1) Right of First Refusal: one year Player Contract with Paragraph 5 Salary of at least $721,600 for the
2006 League Year, $850,000 for the 2007 League Year, $927,000 for the 2008 League Year, $1,010,000 for the
2009 League Year, $1,101,000 for the 2010 League Year, $1,200,000 for the 2011 League Year, or $1,308,000
for the 2012 League Year, as applicable;

(2) Right of First Refusal and Draft Selection at Player’s Original Draft Round: one year Player Contract
with a Paragraph 5 Salary of at least (a) the amount set forth in Subsection (b)(i)(1) above, or (b) 110% of the
player’s prior year’s Paragraph 5 Salary, whichever is greater; in addition, if option (b) applies, all other terms
of the player’s prior year contract are carried forward unchanged (this Subsection is subject to the rules of
Subsection (c) below);

(3) Right of First Refusal, One Second Round Draft Selection: one year Player Contract with a Paragraph
5 Salary of at least (a) $1,300,000 in the 2007 League Year, $1,417,000 in the 2008 League Year, $1,545,000 in
the 2009 League Year, $1,684,000 in the 2010 League Year, $1,835,000 in the 2011 League Year, or
$2,000,000 in the 2012 League Year, as applicable, or (b) 110% of the player’s prior year’s Paragraph 5 Salary,
whichever is greater; in addition, if option (b) applies, all other terms of the player’s prior year contract are
carried forward unchanged;

(4) Right of First Refusal and One First Round Draft Selection: one year Player Contract with a
Paragraph 5 Salary of at least (a) $1,573,000 for the 2006 League Year, $1,850,000 for the 2007 League Year,
$2,017,000 for the 2008 League Year, $2,198,000 for the 2009 League Year, $2,396,000 for the 2010 League
Year, $2,611,000 for the 2011 League Year, or $2,846,000 for the 2012 League Year, as applicable, or (b)
110% of the player’s prior year’s Paragraph 5 Salary, whichever is greater; in addition, if option (b) applies, all
other terms of the player’s prior year contract are carried forward unchanged

(5) Right of First Refusal, One First Round Draft Selection, and One Third Round Draft Selection: one
year Player Contract with a Paragraph 5 Salary of at least (a) $2,096,600 for the 2006 League Year, $2,350,000
for the 2007 League Year, $2,562,000 for the 2008 League Year, $2,792,000 for the 2009 League Year,
$3,043,000 for the 2010 League Year, $3,317,000 for the 2011 League Year, or $3,616,000 for the 2012 League
Year, as applicable, or (b) 110% of the player’s prior year’s Paragraph 5 Salary, whichever is greater; in
addition, if option (b) applies, all other terms of the player’s prior year contract are carried forward unchanged;

There are some nice FB prospects in this draft too. I love the kid from Tennessee Cory Anderson and the local kid here at UH (Battle)...both would be a great 6th round selections and both have some receiving skills.

No team would place a tender that high on a FB. But a 2nd round tender is $1.3 million. That would have kept the dogs off Leach, and given the Texans another year of evaluation before deciding to offer him a long term deal.

apparently he hasn't recieved an offer now

Giants | Leach has not received offer yet
Fri, 16 Mar 2007 16:19:17 -0700

Updating a previous report, Ralph Vacchiano, of the New York Daily News, reports the New York Giants have not offered a contract to restricted free-agent FB Vonta Leach (Texans). The Giants may have told Leach what the offer may be, but will not give him the offer sheet until they are sure he will sign.

Again, keep in mind what agents do ... and don't get too crazy on kffl headlines ... and look for more definitive information, keywords and phrases in the source reports such as "offer sheet" and "signed."

Cowboys | Team has shown interest in Leach
Fri, 16 Mar 2007 18:03:25 -0700

Ralph Vacchiano, of the New York Daily News, reports the Dallas Cowboys have shown interest in restricted free-agent FB Vonta Leach (Texans).

Chiefs | Team has shown interest in Leach
Fri, 16 Mar 2007 17:59:32 -0700

Ralph Vacchiano, of the New York Daily News, reports the Kansas City Chiefs have shown interest in restricted free-agent FB Vonta Leach (Texans).

Ravens | Team has shown interest in Leach
Fri, 16 Mar 2007 17:59:02 -0700

Ralph Vacchiano, of the New York Daily News, reports the Baltimore Ravens have shown interest in restricted free-agent FB Vonta Leach (Texans).

Texans | Team has shown interest in Leach
Fri, 16 Mar 2007 17:58:26 -0700

Ralph Vacchiano, of the New York Daily News, reports the Houston Texans have shown interest in re-signing restricted free-agent FB Vonta Leach (Texans).

Fri, 16 Mar 2007 17:57:54 -0700

Ralph Vacchiano, of the New York Daily News, reports restricted free-agent FB Vonta Leach (Texans) has visited with the Cleveland Browns.

Giants | Leach has not received offer yet
Fri, 16 Mar 2007 16:19:17 -0700

Updating a previous report, Ralph Vacchiano, of the New York Daily News, reports the New York Giants have not offered a contract to restricted free-agent FB Vonta Leach (Texans). The Giants may have told Leach what the offer may be, but will not give him the offer sheet until they are sure he will sign.

NY Giants say they told Vonta what they offering, BUT won't put out offer sheet as they think he will take it to Texans give them a chance to match it.

Cowboys, Chiefs, Ravens all talking about Vonta, but no visits scheduled yet...I think Texans told him find best deal and come back we will work on something to retain you:yahoo:

NY Giants say they told Vonta what they offering, BUT won't put out offer sheet as they think he will take it to Texans give them a chance to match it.

Cowboys, Chiefs, Ravens all talking about Vonta, but no visits scheduled yet...I think Texans told him find best deal and come back we will work on something to retain you:yahoo:

He's a restrictied free agent. Whatever the Giants offer him, they automatically get a chance to match it.

The Giants may have told Leach what the offer may be, but will not give him the offer sheet until they are sure he will sign.

That strikes me as hilarious. The Texans have tendered an offer. That's all Vonta has until the Giants give him their offer sheet. They can hold out all they want--if Vonta doesn't have their offer, he can accept the Texans' or sit out. And I'm certain he's not sitting out.

if they've made an offer it doesn't sound like leach has signed it...if something is going to happen it'll probably wait til monday or tuesday...the chronicle mentioned that now that they've re-signed dayne smith has turned his attention to leach...so maybe smith will get his deal done soon

While I've been watching the Astros, Texans general manager Rick Smith has been busy signing and trying to sign players. He agreed with running back Ron Dayne on Friday night. They might be able to re-sign fullback Vonta Leach next week even though he's been pursued by several teams. The Texans wouldn't have won six games without Dayne. And Leach brings an attitude into games. It's the kind of attitude more of his teammates need.

that's the part of the article from mcclain that i got it from and here's the link to it

http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2007/03/heaven_is_talking_texans_and_a.html

i know it doesn't sound definate but you can get a feel that rick smith is going to get the job done with leach

I think this is going to show me a lot about what kind of decision makers we have on this staff. I can't imagine the Giants paying Leach more than I would want us to meet.

Houston flavor

Savage said the Browns could end up with another fullback after releasing Terrelle Smith last week. They are showing interest in Vonta Leach, a restricted free agent from the Texans who visited last week.

If the Browns sign Leach, he would be the fourth player to have played for the Texans signed by the Browns in free agency. Defensive end Robaire Smith, linebacker Antwan Peek and cornerback Kenny Wright are the others

http://www.morningjournal.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=18094630&BRD=1699&PAG=461&dept_id=46370&rfi=6

Houston flavor

Savage said the Browns could end up with another fullback after releasing Terrelle Smith last week. They are showing interest in Vonta Leach, a restricted free agent from the Texans who visited last week.

If the Browns sign Leach, he would be the fourth player to have played for the Texans signed by the Browns in free agency. Defensive end Robaire Smith, linebacker Antwan Peek and cornerback Kenny Wright are the others

haha, you know a team sucks when they pick up our leftovers. at least we get the scraps from decent teams like GB and Denver. Like Stuart Scott said, "there's College football, the Browns, then the NFL."

anyway, leech will be back in a texans uni by the end of the week. Smith will get it done.

The Giants have offered restricted free agent fullback Vonta Leach a contract.

Here the site: http://mvn.com/nfl-giants/2007/03/16/giants-offer-fb-leach-a-contract/

We are on a count down!!!!! :poker:

Look at the source and date of this claim. Ernie Palladino's entry could very well be based on the same comment made by Leach's agent that appeared in the East Valley Tribune last week (the comment that Ralph Vacchiano, of the New York Daily News later rebuffed).

Just because it's on the internet doesn't mean it's true. I'll wait until I see this corroborated by another reputable source.

Look at the source and date of this claim. Ernie Palladino's entry could very well be based on the same comment made by Leach's agent that appeared in the East Valley Tribune last week (the comment that Ralph Vacchiano, of the New York Daily News later rebuffed).

Just because it's on the internet doesn't mean it's true. I'll wait until I see this corroborated by another reputable source.

Maybe if you were still our VOF we would have the inside scoop. So its your fault we dont know.:joker:

I like Smith, it seems like he gets focused in and when he does...he gets the job done. Nothing was really heard about Dayne for a while but that he was signing with the eagles and what not. Then Smith was ready to talk to him and locked him down.

Hopefully this it the same thing. Smith was busy w/ Dayne and other players. Now he's focusing on Leach and I'll bet we he gets this thing done.

The only possible way would be to get a supplemental pick (there is no RFA comp). I doubt if Leach's contributions would register in the top secret supplemental pick process. We'd be lucky to get a 7th.

Back