Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Vonta Leach Signs Giants Offer Sheet - Texans Match

Buffi2

Veteran
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/85795

The Cardinals have also been talking intermittently with the agent of restricted free agent fullback Vonta Leach, who was tendered an offer by the Houston Texans.

Signing Leach would not only mean coming up with an offer to prevent the Texans from matching, but also making an offer Leach would find agreeable. Another anonymous fullback, Ovie Mughelli, got an astounding $18 million free-agent contract with Atlanta.

Sigh.

I'm going to be some kind of ticked off if the Cardinals offer him a contract with a "poison pill" in it... We need Leach to be a Texan.

according to Mark Berman last night of Fox 26 here in Houston. There are about 4 or 5 teams interested in Leach. The Texans did tender him the min. of around $850,000 and have the right to match any other offer but will not get compensated if he goes elsewhere.

From the report last night he is scheduled to meet with the Giants today and then i think denver then dallas and like the article above says get an offer from the arizona.

Funny you asked, because I just checked out the depth chart and he is not listed, but he is listed on the roster and on houstonprofootball.com unofficial salary cap.

Depth Chart:
http://www.houstontexans.com/team/depth_chart.php?section=TH Depth Chart

Roster:
http://www.houstontexans.com/team/roster.php?section=TH Players
Unofficial Salary Cap:
http://www.houstonprofootball.com/cap.html

I checked the roster and noticed Leech was the only FB listed. I guess Cook caused me selective memory loss, lol.

I think we should pretty much meat ANY offer that leach gets from other teams. I feel very confident about his future as an all around fullback.

The depth chart stays the same until the next game. I remember Wells still being on it after he got released last year and people were trying to read something into it.

I think we should pretty much meat ANY offer that leach gets from other teams. I feel very confident about his future as an all around fullback.

I agree 100%, this guy works well in the system and he runs people over. If they don't keep him it will go down as another front office blunder.

Cook is on the Texans roster. He's signed though '10. Leach is the only other FB on the roster - at least for now.

Cook is on the Texans roster. He's signed though '10. Leach is the only other FB on the roster - at least for now.

I hope we get Leach back as well, but if not then maybe we will draft a Hybrid Fullback like the kid from Rutgers. I saw him up close at the Texas Bowl in Reliant and he is something serious. Doesn't hurt that he runs a 4.4 and shows pretty good blocking skills. Wouldn't be a bad reach for a 3rd rd pick if available. Notice this is only if we don't get Leach, lol.

I hope we get Leach back as well, but if not then maybe we will draft a Hybrid Fullback like the kid from Rutgers. I saw him up close at the Texas Bowl in Reliant and he is something serious. Doesn't hurt that he runs a 4.4 and shows pretty good blocking skills. Wouldn't be a bad reach for a 3rd rd pick if available. Notice this is only if we don't get Leach, lol.

I like the Brian Leonard pick as well, the kid also has excellent receiving hands.

Bring back Leach!

I don't want to look for a replacement.

I want the guy that caught that TD vs Indy and said "Step Off"

losing leach would easily be the worst move of the offseason. cook is absolutely horrible, where leach was overwhelmingly dominant and didnt drop a single pass or fumble. we use way too many two-back sets to make fullback less than a high offensive priority, and one that we already have the perfect guy to fill the spot.

along those lines, i'd lobby hard to keep dayne as well to be green's backup.

Aren't some of our TEs supposed to be ready to fill that role as well? If I am not mistaken they thought about putting Putzier back there last season also right?

I like the Brian Leonard pick as well, the kid also has excellent receiving hands.

@ 228, Leonard is now playing the Role of Jim Kick. You're telling me you want him as the peice of the running back suffle rather than over paying for someone at running back , ok I'm on board. You're telling me he's going into the hole to blast out a NFL LB on an iso play, nope. Not going to happen.

I can't add much to the Leach perspective that has not already been expressed. Out side of Kalu, I would of thought leach would of been the first guy re signed. the only thing I can figgure is that they believe the FB spot is a plug and play slot. They're not going to over pay for one. From my perspective, anyone that made Dayne look good was worth a bump.

Do ya'll think that the Texans would ever draft a FB in the late rounds? Cause the FB from A&M (Chris Alexander) absolutely plows people over. Check out the two TD runs in the A&M and he flattens out the defender each time to break the run. Makes sense cause he just benched 470 or somewhere around that so he has strength and he can catch ver well out of backfield. I don't mean to turn this into a A&M or UT thread or anything, I just was looking for some thought on it cause fullbacks aren't drafted all that often from what I see.

I want Leach back as well but for some reason we do not I do like a guy out of Air Force

Jacobe Kendrick
Born: May 3, 1984
Hometown: Midland, TX
Height: 6-0
Weight: 230 lbs

2006 84att 384yds 4.6 24 2 2rec 9yds 4.5 7 1

Was used as a blocker primarily but I saw him play twice and I like what he did but of course I am not sure what he runs or how well he could be included into the pass catching phase of the offense.

Do ya'll think that the Texans would ever draft a FB in the late rounds? Cause the FB from A&M (Chris Alexander) absolutely plows people over. Check out the two TD runs in the A&M and he flattens out the defender each time to break the run. Makes sense cause he just benched 470 or somewhere around that so he has strength and he can catch ver well out of backfield. I don't mean to turn this into a A&M or UT thread or anything, I just was looking for some thought on it cause fullbacks aren't drafted all that often from what I see.

They drafted a FB back in their first draft, Jarrod Baxter like in the 5th or 6th round. I think he was around for 2 years and they cut him.

Everyone keeps saying we should have resigned Leach, we need to keep him. Well maybe Leach or a better guess, his agent is looking for the the most money. We don't know if the Texans made an offer and he is just weighing his options.

Everyone keeps saying we should have resigned Leach, we need to keep him. Well maybe Leach or a better guess, his agent is looking for the the most money. We don't know if the Texans made an offer and he is just weighing his options.

This is one explanation, and I hope its the right one because Leach did something last year I've seen few NFL FBs do - be a playmaker.
He really made a few memorable runs and catchs and yea, bone-crusher blocks routinely. And unlike Cook, no fumbles or other miscues IIRC ?
And he's young, I'm thinking only 25 or 26 ?
Smith looking out for the Texans and Leach looking out for himself. That's
how its suppose to work.
But the Texans will have the chance to match the best offer out there, so they are in the drivers seat.

Well, the 3rd is "planned" everyone thinks is fr a QB to develop.

But, yea we could get one in the 4th...a guy from Nebraska is 6' 1 5/8" and 245, and runs a 4.46 40. And lays people out...I belive his name is Todd Wade or Wade Todd. Look up his combine #'s, the guy is a beast.

True, with a guy that big and fast, he reminds me odf a larger and faster Allstot(sp). I doubt he'd be around in the 4th, so unless we do take a QB in the 1st or dig in the 2nd...I doubt we could get him. We could get someone in the 4th-7th anyway that could plow over a D...but they would be lacking either speed or catching/carring ability.

Look up the guy from Nebraska, see what you think he is huge.

Leach is 25 years old, with alot of good years behind him. But I don't think it will be with the Texans. I heard from a very reliable source he is signing with the Browns and the Texans haven't made an offer yet. Letting Leach go will just be another mistake the texans are going to have to answer for when the season takes a ugly turn again. :wild: :confused:

We don't know if the Texans made an offer and he is just weighing his options.

Yes we do know they made a tender. The Texans will have the right to match any offer he receives.

I heard from a very reliable source he is signing with the Browns and the Texans haven't made an offer yet.

Might want to downgrade the reliability of that source--he has been tendered an offer.

Leach is 25 years old, with alot of good years behind him. But I don't think it will be with the Texans. I heard from a very reliable source he is signing with the Browns and the Texans haven't made an offer yet. Letting Leach go will just be another mistake the texans are going to have to answer for when the season takes a ugly turn again. :wild: :confused:

we can match their offer.

Just curious, what source do you have that would know this? Unless they are in the FO of Cleveland or Houston. How would they know?

As others have said, we have tendered Leach a qualifying offer. We have the right to match any contract that he may reach with another team. The tricky part is if a team adds a "poison pill" into the contract. Meaning they could say if he plays 4 games in the state of Texas he gets x amount of bonus or the whole contract is guaranteed...

Giants | Leach visits team
Wed, 14 Mar 2007 19:49:29 -0700

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports restricted free-agent FB Vonta Leach (Texans) visited the New York Giants.

leach is a guy that we need not because he's young but because he did everything they were expecting cook to do...he blocked extremely well...i think he surprised come people by his catching abilities...he wasn't asked to run the ball which is fine...but leach is a guy who needs to be brought back due to his ability to be a factor in the running game with his blocking...the guy looked like a smaller guard leading the way...his blocking was far superior to cook's and i think he was a reason our running game took off towards the end of the season

haven't we signed enough old guys on this team this offseason...just a thought...how about we keep the guy we know fits the system and can stay in it for a couple of years

haven't we signed enough old guys on this team this offseason...just a thought...how about we keep the guy we know fits the system and can stay in it for a couple of years

...good idea but that's not Kubiak's style as RB's are a 'dime a dozen' to him

What if Kubiak is thinking of drafting FB/RB Brian Leonard in the 2nd round? :stirpot:

Leach is better than Leonard. Leonard wants to play tailback and not fullback. He won't play NFL football if he sticks to his guns and doesn't play fullback. He'll see the light, but his heart is not into it. I think he is extremely overrated.

I want Leach back here as well, but as was once mentioned here earlier, NFL is a business and he's exploring all of his options to get paid. That's why there hasn't been anything in writing contract wise on any other teams yet. Once he get his market value, the Texans will match it and that will be the end of discussion.

Back