Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Vince Wilfork to Houston - **signed**

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
which chinese buffets should we recommend Vince hit up? I'll say HIbachi Grill on 10/Dairy Ashford is my fave right now.

DX-TEX

#TomSavageDontCare
Brian T. Smith ‏@ChronBrianSmith · 2m2 minutes ago
Vince Wilfork's request before signing with #Texans: "Somebody’s got to get me a smoker at the facilities (that) says ‘For Vince Wilfork.’ "

Brian T. Smith ‏@ChronBrianSmith · 2m2 minutes ago
Wilfork was joking. Sort of. "That didn’t happen. But I need a smoker." #Texans
He's watching us!

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
yeah, I tend to agree. I've eaten there a couple of times and neither visit impressed me. Too much fat in their BBQ for me. I just used their banner because they are near my house.
Yeah, there's one near me in League City; about 5 mins away. Portions too small, ribs dry, too pricey compared to other places. I'll drive the 15 minutes to Red River instead.

Gotta try that Killen's place you guys mentioned. Haven't been there.

paycheck71

Hall of Fame
You guys need to follow Daniel Vaughn @BBQSnob on twitter, if you already don't. He's the Texas Monthly barbecue editor. He pretty much drives around the state (sometimes out of state) and posts pics and reviews on his twitter feed.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
You guys need to follow Daniel Vaughn @BBQSnob on twitter, if you already don't. He's the Texas Monthly barbecue editor. He pretty much drives around the state (sometimes out of state) and posts pics and reviews on his twitter feed.
Asked him about best bbq in Conroe... haven't heard of any of these places besides Corkscrew... anyone else?

Daniel Vaughn ‏@BBQsnob 35m35 minutes ago
@TexanJB I haven't found much Aron's there, but I just heard about Hey Boys BBQ. Both Corkscrew and BBQ Godfather in Spring are close.

ChampionTexan

Hall of Fame
Asked him about best bbq in Conroe... haven't heard of any of these places besides Corkscrew... anyone else?
BBQ Godfather is very good. It's also a trailer, and it's east of 45 a ways on Rayford (actually just a little further east than one of the Pitmaster places we've discussed before). Definitely one of our favorites in this area (and by this area, I mean the Houston area, not just the Woodlands).

Not familiar with Hey Boys, but I'll look into correcting that in the not too distant future.

One I'll throw out another one in general area worth tryign, and that's The Wooden Spoke. It's also a trailer type set-up. Further west and more off the beaten path (at least my beaten path), it's over on Huffman Conroe Road (FM 2978) 2 or 3 miles south of Woodlands Parkway.

Reactions: JB

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
BBQ Godfather is very good. It's also a trailer, and it's east of 45 a ways on Rayford (actually just a little further east than one of the Pitmaster places we've discussed before). Definitely one of our favorites in this area (and by this area, I mean the Houston area, not just the Woodlands).

Not familiar with Hey Boys, but I'll look into correcting that in the not too distant future.

One I'll throw out in that general area is The Wooden Spoke. It's also a trailer type set-up. Further west and more off the beaten path (at least my beaten path), it's over on Huffman Conroe Road (FM 2978) 2 or 3 miles south of Woodlands Parkway.
Great! Thanks for the info! I'll definitely check out both BBQ Godfather and The Wooden Spoke.

ChampionTexan

Hall of Fame
Great! Thanks for the info! I'll definitely check out both BBQ Godfather and The Wooden Spoke.
One piece of advice - there's not really any signage for BBQ Godfather, so it's easy to go right past it. It's in a group along with 3 or 4 other places (also in mobile/temporary buildings). There's a cupcake place, and a cajun place, but little to no signage until you're literally at the window to order.

It's probably worth mentioning that it's on the south side of Rayford.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
One piece of advice - there's not really any signage for BBQ Godfather, so it's easy to go right past it. It's in a group along with 3 or 4 other places (also in mobile/temporary buildings). There's a cupcake place, and a cajun place, but little to no signage until you're literally at the window to order.

It's probably worth mentioning that it's on the south side of Rayford.
Good to know, thanks! I'd probably have missed it

Brisco_County

Apples and roadmaps
New Texans defensive lineman has a love for classic Houston hip-hop, delicious smoked ribs

Avowed barbecue fanatic Vince Wilfork signed a two-year deal with the Houston Texans on Monday afternoon, shoring up the team’s defensive line...
Link

The rest is behind a pay wall.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Link

read it here

link

It was truly fate that brought the former New England Patriots tackle to Houston, as you will learn.
Since Wilfork is a barbecue fan Houston is obviously the place for him to be. From pit and smoking supplies to award-winning barbecue joints, he won’t have any shortage of stops to make on his days off from the team.
award winning journalism :toropalm:

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
Link

If you ever encounter an article behind a paywall, take the article's URL and search it in Google. Then click on the link.

I don't know if it works for ESPN Insider or something, but it certainly works for WSJ and a few others. And apparently, the Chronicle.

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
Bill O'Brien: J.J. Watt is excited to have Vince Wilfork playing next to him

Caught up with Texans coach Bill O'Brien here at the league meetings at the Biltmore Hotel a short time ago, and naturally, I had to ask about bringing Vince Wilfork aboard for his defense.

Wilfork, who bookended his Patriots career with a pair of Super Bowl wins, left after 11 seasons, signing a two-year, $9 million deal with the Texans last week.

"We're thrilled to have him," O'Brien said. "He brings a lot to the table for us that’s going to help our team and help our younger players."

One such player is 2014 draft pick Louis Nix, the nose tackle out of Notre Dame. But O'Brien said it's not just the young players who are looking forward to playing with Wilfork. He said J.J. Watt is plenty excited to learn from the veteran.

"J.J. and Vince have already spoken a few times. They’re both very excited about having the opportunity to line up next to each other," O"Brien said. "Vince, I know, has a ton of respect for J.J., and it’s the same from J.J. to Vince."

Since Wilfork essentially grew up in the defensive system the Texans employ, with Romeo Crennel as the defensive coordinator, O'Brien believes that will be helpful to Watt, who only managed 20.5 sacks last season.

"I think it’ll be a great experience for J.J. to have a guy who’s been in the system for a long, long time, similar to what we’re doing in Houston, so he’ll be able to bounce questions off him," said O'Brien.
Only managed 20 sacks... Beantown writer. Maybe tongue-in-cheek.

DX-TEX

#TomSavageDontCare
Get Vince a smoker is becoming a thing on twitter. Check out @wilfork75 timeline and his favorites. lol

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
Weber Smokey Mountain smokers are pretty good. Hook up an IQ system to maintain your desired temp and they are pretty much set and forget.

michaelm

vox nihili
Corkscrew is the best in the area, but BBQ Godfather is a close #2, and the lines are way, way shorter.

michaelm

vox nihili
Weber Smokey Mountain smokers are pretty good. Hook up an IQ system to maintain your desired temp and they are pretty much set and forget.
I have that exact setup. Weber 22" WSM w/ Pitmaster IQ 10.

I don't hang mine in front of the fire door like in this picture off the web, though. :)

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
Welp, looks like big VW is getting his number

Drew Dougherty ‏@DoughertyDrew 12m12 minutes ago

Some #Texans jersey # info: 7 Brian Hoyer 64 Will Yeatman 72 Derek Newton 73 Matt Feiler 75 Vince Wilfork 85 Cecil Shorts III

Scooter

Funky
Not a fan of much we've done during this offseason, but I do love me the fat guys and none are bigger than Wilfork. I mentioned earlier in the thread that he had an achilles injury that Pats fans weren't thrilled with his play after recovery, but what I saw was a guy who still had it - and a full offseason should allow him that extra time to get back closer to 100%. I'm curious how he'll be used, since we spend so little time in base 3-4 I'm wondering if he'll be part of some nickel sub groups.

Arky

Veteran
Mo's BBQ in Humble is good. Located: 8321 FM 1960 Bypass Road West Humble, TX

They got high marks in a Chronicle review a few year back so I had to try them out cause I'm in the neighborhood. It was pretty good, pretty good..... They smoke daily ....

Recommend the Family pack #1 (feeds 4) to go @ $51.75.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club

They got high marks in a Chronicle review a few year back so I had to try them out cause I'm in the neighborhood. It was pretty good, pretty good..... They smoke daily ....

Those prices look high to me... would have to be better than "pretty good" for me

Arky

Veteran
Those prices look high to me... would have to be better than "pretty good" for me
Don't be an old curmudgeon.... give 'em a try if you're ever in the area....

I think they're better than Goode Co. ....

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Don't be an old curmudgeon.... give 'em a try if you're ever in the area....

I think they're better than Goode Co. ....
It's what I do...

might try them for a sammich or plate lunch

Arky

Veteran
It's what I do...

might try them for a sammich or plate lunch
Eheh. :)

Actually, I only said "pretty good" because I think I used to make some of the best tastin' brisket I've ever eaten. Back in the '80s, I was recruited to cook for a neighborhood bar for football Sundays. The pit was a converted metal dumpster just outside the back door. We'd fill up the bottom of the dumpster with charcoal and wood (mostly oak) and fire it up. The meat (untrimmed brisket) placed in an aluminum foil "boat" would go on at closing time Saturday night (2 am). The next day, the meat would come off around noon-2 pm. It would have this 1/2" ring of red/pink on the outside where the smoke had penetrated the meat. Very tasty.

And this was before I learned of the "upside down" technique. You've heard of that? You take an untrimmed brisket and cook it upside down so that the fat floods the meaty part..... You'll never have to worry about meat that is too dry when you cook it this way....

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

What, no beef ribs?!?

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I don't remember this ProFootballFocus article ever being posted.
Texans: Wilfork back home at nose tackle
Steve Palazzolo | March 17, 2015

PFF-headlinesOnce former Patriots defensive tackle Vince Wilfork was released, the Houston Texans seemed like a perfect fit given their needs at nose tackle and old New England connections in head coach Bill O’Brien and defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel. Wilfork has been an every-down player for the Patriots in recent years, playing a high percentage of their snaps while moving all around the defensive line, but with Houston’s depth up front, it looks like he’s primed for a return to nose tackle.

After years as more of an early-down player, Wilfork saw a major spike in playing time in 2011 as he played 87 percent of New England’s snaps, compared to only 70 percent in 2010. While he’s never been a great pass rusher, the Patriots kept him on the field on passing downs to help open things up for those around him. Last year, Wilfork played 73% of the Patriots’ defensive snaps on their Super Bowl run, grading at +10.1 against the run and -9.7 as a pass rusher.

Even with Wilfork’s versatility, many have pigeonholed him into the nose tackle category for a few years now. However, last season, he played the seventh-most snaps at 3-technique (420), a position usually reserved for more penetrating defensive tackles, while playing only 158 snaps at nose tackle (1- or 0-tech).

Expect that number to increase next season as Wilfork will man the middle of Houston’s defense and provide a strong run stopping presence. He may never be an 800-plus snap player for the rest of his career, but Wilfork is primed for a few more seasons of playing 400-600 snaps a year at nose tackle where he’s still difficult to move.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller

And that just shows you that people's taste buds are crazy different. Now maybe things have changed since (new management or whatever) but I went to Mo's BBQ years ago, the one in Humble, and they were horrible. 2nd worst BBQ I've ever had (1st being Larry's).