Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Vince Wilfork to Houston - **signed**

Marshall

Not pretty, but ALIVE!
Why don't you just look it up on spotrac or overthecap instead of guessing?

His base is $1 mil this year but there is also a $1 mil roster bonus.
Because I'm usually guessing pending the posting of the actual contracts based on limited information.

I primarily use OTC for good contract information, but it often takes a week or more before they update it.

Marshall

Not pretty, but ALIVE!
I'm very curious about what the Texans plan to do at LB. There has been no activity, and in a 3-4 defense, they are kinda' important.

I assume they'll be drafting, but then you just have rookie(s). No matter how much potential, they are still rookies in a less-than-simple defensive scheme.

No, the Texans right now are very cloaked in secrecy about LB plans, but we'll have to wait and see what happens between now and training camp before freaking out about it. In RAC we trust.
Signed Linebackers:

53 Max Bullough D ILB 0 U FA 2014 TEX 2016
56 Brian Cushing D ILB 5 1 15 2009 TEX 2019
52 Jeff Tarpinian D LB 2 U FA 2011 PAT 2015
54 Mike Mohamed D LB 3 6 189 2011 BRO 2015
57 Justin Tuggle D LB 1 U FA 2013 TEX 2015
59 Whitney Mercilus D LB 2 2 26 2012 TEX 2015
64 Kourtnei Brown D LB 1 U FA 2012 49ers 2016
65 Jason Ankrah D LB 0 U FA 2014 TEX 2016
90 Jadeveon Clowney D LB 0 1 1 2014 TEX 2017

Feel free to rate them.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Year....... Snaps.......PFF Run Stop Grade......PFF Overall Grade
2012........ 1,041..........+2.4.............................+2.5
2013........ 177.............-0.9..............................-4.1
2014........ 952.............+10.1...........................+2.9

Source: Pro Football Focus

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I'm very curious about what the Texans plan to do at LB. There has been no activity, and in a 3-4 defense, they are kinda' important.

I assume they'll be drafting, but then you just have rookie(s). No matter how much potential, they are still rookies in a less-than-simple defensive scheme.

No, the Texans right now are very cloaked in secrecy about LB plans, but we'll have to wait and see what happens between now and training camp before freaking out about it. In RAC we trust.
Nice to get back to football talk.

I would draft a OLB/ILB provided there was a LB worth that draft value. With the Texans relying on the run game to take pressure off of whoever wins the QB competition having a a defense that can carry the team is a must. Rd.1 Dupree Rd.2 Kendricks Rd. 2 after trading up Dorsett, then drafting OL/DL depth would be my draft strategy.

Watt/Wilfork/Crick with Nix in reserve.

Mercilus/ Cushing/ Kendricks/Dupree with Clowney/Mohammed in reserve

JoJo/Swag/Moore/KJ with Morris/Rolle/Hal in reserve

That's a dominant/deep defense, that's young outside of Wilfork.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
What's to search? It's a thread full of on-topic bickering about whether he will sign and whether old players should be signed.

In any event, this one stays but we will crack down on derailment occurring in other threads.
Really sad, or pathetic, depending on how YOU want to look at it.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
There's a lot of threads and a whole sub-forum devoted to that. Leave our bbq thread alone :slapfight:

:kitten:
Just giving examples of what the Texans defense could look like if the invested draft capital in their LB corps now that Wilfork is a Texan.

Sorry get back to the BBQ talk. You're going to love my in season BBQ tailgaiting talk that I use to screw up every thread. Starting with I bought propane at Lowes for my customized pit that the guy at Pitts & Spitts told me is the Lexus of all things Grilled.

Carry on

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Just giving examples of what the Texans defense could look like if the invested draft capital in their LB corps now that Wilfork is a Texan.

Sorry get back to the BBQ talk. You're going to love my in season BBQ tailgaiting talk that I use to screw up every thread. Starting with I bought propane at Lowes for my customized pit that the guy at Pitts & Spitts told me is the Lexus of all things Grilled.

Carry on
He steered ya wrong (pun intended). Propane for grilling is second rate at best

Brisco_County

Apples and roadmaps
I wonder what kind of BBQ does JJ Watt like?
He probably eats at Killen's barbeque. His favorite place in town is their steakhouse in Pearland. JJ parks in the back, and they cordon off a back room for privacy. He takes his family there when they visit. I've had their Kobe beef. Worth every penny.

The whole town has a crush on JJ Watt, but the Texans’ defensive end looks up to Ronnie Killen; Watt professed his love for the meat master’s Pearland eateries in a recent ESPN feature.
Link

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
He probably eats at Killen's barbeque. His favorite place in town is their steakhouse in Pearland. JJ parks in the back, and they cordon off a back room for privacy. He takes his family there when they visit. I've had their Kobe beef. Worth every penny.

Link
Been meaning to try Killen's steak house and their BBQ. I hear it is great.

Marshall

Not pretty, but ALIVE!
First time I went to NYC it involved 12 hours of walking every part of the city and I never me an asshole. Was very surprised being from Texas how cool everyone I met was. In subsequent visits I met a couple but that first trip changed the stereotype.
If I were forced to go to NYC, I'd be the guy POed. Upstate NY is a different story. Good folk there.

Because I'm usually guessing pending the posting of the actual contracts based on limited information.

I primarily use OTC for good contract information, but it often takes a week or more before they update it.
I would only post cap charges for a player if I know the structure of the deal. I didn't post the structure of the Wilfork deal because I didn't think many cared about that part, so I just posted the cap charges.

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
Been meaning to try Killen's steak house and their BBQ. I hear it is great.
It is great. The wife and I will go on special occasions. Expect to spend at least a couple hundred bucks for a couple. It's not a place I'd take the entire family to unless you want to take a 2nd mortgage on your house.

The entire Dline used to go almost every week and spend thousands. I'm not sure they still do it

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
It is great. The wife and I will go on special occasions. Expect to spend at least a couple hundred bucks for a couple. It's not a place I'd take the entire family to unless you want to take a 2nd mortgage on your house.
At the expense of sounding cheap, but WHAT!

does that include a few drinks? Patron margaritas?

infantrycak

Hall of Fame

Margaritas at a steakhouse?

The cheapest steak is $40, $50 is more typical. Then there's appetizers, sides, etc. So $100 with tip is real easy to hit with no alcohol.

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!

I consider myself a cheap mofo. That's why I only go with my wife for special occasions. We made the mistake of going there for a chicks birthday a couple years ago and decided special occasions only afterwards.

She'll have a couple 2-3 glasses of wine and I'll have a few beers. Like Cak said, count on entrees adding to around a hundo. You'll likely have apps, beverages and a dessert.

I go there expecting $200 minimum for the 2 of us

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

The cheapest steak is $40, $50 is more typical. Then there's appetizers, sides, etc. So $100 with tip is real easy to hit with no alcohol.
Perry's down here in Clear Lake is a "steakhouse"...

[imgwidthsize=700]http://www.perryssteakhouse.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Memorial-City-Main-Dining-Interior-2-1600x500.jpg[/IMG]

What's yer point?

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Not sure what your point is with the picture.

Mine was margaritas and steak are a monumentally bad pairing. And I like both...separately.
Oh.... well, your question was... "margaritas at a steakhouse?"
not "margaritas with steak!?"

hence, my misunderstanding.

banned1976

sleeper mode
Has anyone been to Chama Gaucha Brazilian Steakhouse? I've always wanted to try that place but I don't know anyone who's been there.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Perry's down here in Clear Lake is a "steakhouse"...

[imgwidthsize=700]http://www.perryssteakhouse.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Memorial-City-Main-Dining-Interior-2-1600x500.jpg[/IMG]

What's yer point?
Took my wife to Perrys last year for our aniversity and had their KC strip and it was descent, but I wasn't as impressed as the other time I visited Perrys when I had a pork chop. Best pork chop I've ever had. It's almost like a mini pork roast, it's huge and it was delicious an had to request a doggy bag, and I have a big appetite. So if you like pork - check it out ! Very, very good and a real value.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Signed Linebackers:

53 Max Bullough D ILB 0 U FA 2014 TEX 2016
56 Brian Cushing D ILB 5 1 15 2009 TEX 2019
52 Jeff Tarpinian D LB 2 U FA 2011 PAT 2015
54 Mike Mohamed D LB 3 6 189 2011 BRO 2015
57 Justin Tuggle D LB 1 U FA 2013 TEX 2015
59 Whitney Mercilus D LB 2 2 26 2012 TEX 2015
64 Kourtnei Brown D LB 1 U FA 2012 49ers 2016
65 Jason Ankrah D LB 0 U FA 2014 TEX 2016
90 Jadeveon Clowney D LB 0 1 1 2014 TEX 2017

Feel free to rate them.
It's not a really impressive list.

Cushing is at the top of it, even hurt and only a shell of his former self.

Clowney has potential, but we have no idea if he'll even play in 2015.

Mercilus is inconsistent at best.

The rest seem like a bunch of journeyman JAGs.

Nice to get back to football talk.

I would draft a OLB/ILB provided there was a LB worth that draft value. With the Texans relying on the run game to take pressure off of whoever wins the QB competition having a a defense that can carry the team is a must. Rd.1 Dupree Rd.2 Kendricks Rd. 2 after trading up Dorsett, then drafting OL/DL depth would be my draft strategy.

Watt/Wilfork/Crick with Nix in reserve.

Mercilus/ Cushing/ Kendricks/Dupree with Clowney/Mohammed in reserve

JoJo/Swag/Moore/KJ with Morris/Rolle/Hal in reserve

That's a dominant/deep defense, that's young outside of Wilfork.
I'd like them to pick a LB high if the player is there.

I like what I've read about Dupree, but he might not be there when the Texans are ready to pick. Fowler and Beasley are obviously guys they might want, but they are being projected in the top 10.

This is where the scouting dept, coaches, and GM really make their mark, because this draft has to be one where they pick some guys that will contribute.

Here is a solid breakdown of LBs in this draft: 2015 NFL Draft: Versatile, disruptive linebacker group

Hervoyel

BUENO!
It's not a really impressive list.

Cushing is at the top of it, even hurt and only a shell of his former self.

Clowney has potential, but we have no idea if he'll even play in 2015.

Mercilus is inconsistent at best.

The rest seem like a bunch of journeyman JAGs.

I'd like them to pick a LB high if the player is there.

I like what I've read about Dupree, but he might not be there when the Texans are ready to pick. Fowler and Beasley are obviously guys they might want, but they are being projected in the top 10.

This is where the scouting dept, coaches, and GM really make their mark, because this draft has to be one where they pick some guys that will contribute.

Here is a solid breakdown of LBs in this draft: 2015 NFL Draft: Versatile, disruptive linebacker group
I still hold out a little hope for Bullough and hope Cushing comes back this year as a little more than the shadow. Maybe he won't be a lot more than that but I look for improvement of some sort out of him.

I also think Mercilus might continue to get better. He seems a better fit with these coaches than the ones who drafted him.

Clowney is not going to be a factor this year so I don't expect anything. The rest need help.

Draft at least one good LB this year and I'm happy.

Brisco_County

Apples and roadmaps

If you get the Kobe, get it rare, even if you never order steak rare. The quality is good enough.

It should be pointed out that their sides are phenomenal. Things that would typically be boring to you will stay on you mind days later.

My group would each order a side or two, and the portions were large enough to pass around the table so the six of us got to sample everything.

If I had never left the Clear Lake area, I'd be eating there every week.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I still hold out a little hope for Bullough and hope Cushing comes back this year as a little more than the shadow. Maybe he won't be a lot more than that but I look for improvement of some sort out of him.

I also think Mercilus might continue to get better. He seems a better fit with these coaches than the ones who drafted him.

Clowney is not going to be a factor this year so I don't expect anything. The rest need help.

Draft at least one good LB this year and I'm happy.
I believe Cushing has the motive, heart, and drive that will push himself to be the best that he can possibly be, but the only question is where is his ceiling after two knee injuries. I do have hope for him, though. Even 70% of his former self is still a solid LB.

Hope you're right about Mercilus. He's just spotting in performance and I have never been much impressed with him. However, if anyone can bring the best out of him, it will probably be RAC, Vrabel, and this system.

And I completely agree about getting one good LB in the draft this year and being happy.

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
Has anyone been to Chama Gaucha Brazilian Steakhouse? I've always wanted to try that place but I don't know anyone who's been there.
Yup, the wife and I just went there on Valentines Day. It's pretty darn good.

I recommend a couple of things for the best bang for your buck

-Don't bother with the salad bar, because salad bar
-Keep yourself on green until you've tasted all meats
-Only get small portions of 1st tastings. Pile on whichever meats you like the best
-Only get one or two sides (if any) that you both like so you're not filling up on things not meat
-Don't settle! They will send the dude with your favorite meat. Or cook more if they're out

There was only two issues I had with their meats. I didn't like the lamb chops at all. The shrimp was super salty

michaelm

vox nihili
Yup, the wife and I just went there on Valentines Day. It's pretty darn good.

I recommend a couple of things for the best bang for your buck

-Don't bother with the salad bar, because salad bar

-Keep yourself on green until you've tasted all meats

-Only get small portions of 1st tastings. Pile on whichever meats you like the best

-Only get one or two sides (if any) that you both like so you're not filling up on things not meat

-Don't settle! They will send the dude with your favorite meat. Or cook more if they're out

There was only two issues I had with their meats. I didn't like the lamb chops at all. The shrimp was super salty

I generally agree about avoiding the salad bar, but they have excellent smoked gouda which is one of my favorite cheeses.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Well....
where's the update??
:foottap:
Here ya' go!

Vince Wilfork adds strength, experience to Texans’ 3-4 defense

There’s nothing new about the Texans and a 3-4 defense. Coach Dom Capers installed the linebacker-heavy system during the franchise’s expansion years. Coordinator Wade Phillips returned the attack in 2011. Romeo Crennel fine-tuned his bigger, stronger version last season, when the Texans finished seventh in the NFL in points allowed and 10th against the run.

The team has also utilized oversized, overpowering nose tackles before. The 6-3, 310-pound Earl Mitchell in 2013. The 6-2, 340-pound Ryan Pickett last year.

But the Texans have never had anything or anyone like Vince Wilfork. Neither has J.J. Watt. Which is why the on-paper version of the team’s 2015 defense is already being hyped as the best thing to happen to the Texans since their 12-4 peak three seasons ago.

Wilfork, a five-time Pro Bowler and 2012 All-Pro, was last listed as 6-2, 325 pounds. A quick glance at recent photos strongly suggests he weighs more. And while Wilfork will turn 34 midway through the 2015 season, there’s no doubt the two-time Super Bowl winner has the potential to make the largest impact on the Texans’ defense since a little-known end from Pewaukee, Wis., became the No. 11 overall pick of the 2011 draft.

“(Former Raiders coach) John Madden used to have a theory that he liked to have one guy that was a penetrator and one guy that could play off of that penetrator,” said Seth Payne, a 10-year NFL defensive lineman and current 610 AM host. “At this stage in Vince Wilfork’s career, he’s perfectly suited and positioned to be that guy that plays off of J.J. Watt’s …
And in the spirit of the thread, the above update was brought to you by:

:good:

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Here ya' go!

And in the spirit of the thread, the above update was brought to you by:

:good:
MSR! That banner addition actually made me laugh out loud

...although Spring Creek is a chain and so, given what I've learned in this thread, sucks.
:D

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Spring Creek is meh... But I like their fresh hot rolls.
yeah, I tend to agree. I've eaten there a couple of times and neither visit impressed me. Too much fat in their BBQ for me. I just used their banner because they are near my house.