Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

University of Texas' Head Coach search

Kinda get the feeling UT is that guy who waited too long to get a New Years Eve date and has been frantically calling every girl in his phone book and taking bullet after bullet.
smiley-vault-misc-139.gif

OK then, the answer to the question that we won't know until next week is, Will He?

You won't know anything for sure till the coach is announced at the PC.

However, Texas thought it had a good chance to sign Fisher because FSU offered an extension of just of $4M per year and Texas was offering $6-7M per year. Now, as with Saban and others, the agent has gone back to FSU and gotten them to pony up enough catch to convince him to stay, so it doesn't look good for the school trying to lure him away.

You won't know anything for sure till the coach is announced at the PC.

However, Texas thought it had a good chance to sign Fisher because FSU offered an extension of just of $4M per year and Texas was offering $6-7M per year. Now, as with Saban and others, the agent has gone back to FSU and gotten them to pony up enough catch to convince him to stay, so it doesn't look good for the school trying to lure him away.

I have to ask, do you know for a fact that the agent went back to FSU? Could it have been FSU and FSU booster offering without the agent? And why would the agent only ask for $6 million from FSU if he's getting $7 million from Texas as advertised?

I have to ask, do you know for a fact that the agent went back to FSU? Could it have been FSU and FSU booster offering without the agent? And why would the agent only ask for $6 million from FSU if he's getting $7 million from Texas as advertised?

No one knows for fact, but reports from Texas and FSU sources seem to indicate this. And does it really matter if the agent went to FSU or if FSU went to his agent to get bigger numbers? At some point Fisher's agent probably told FSU the numbers being floated by Texas and FSU talked to his agent and worked out what it would likely take to keep him since they don't have as deep pockets.

Fisher has a good thing going at FSU and is loaded for NC runs for the next couple of years, whilst Texas would be a rebuild and their boosters and fans would expect fast results, especially after seeing Auburn do it and if their new coach is being paid $6-7M per year.

Kinda get the feeling UT is that guy who waited too long to get a New Years Eve date and has been frantically calling every girl in his phone book and taking bullet after bullet.

Why in the world would they rush anything right now?

No one knows for fact, but reports from Texas and FSU sources seem to indicate this. And does it really matter if the agent went to FSU or if FSU went to his agent to get bigger numbers? At some point Fisher's agent probably told FSU the numbers being floated by Texas and FSU talked to his agent and worked out what it would likely take to keep him since they don't have as deep pockets.

Fisher has a good thing going at FSU and is loaded for NC runs for the next couple of years, whilst Texas would be a rebuild and their boosters and fans would expect fast results, especially after seeing Auburn do it and if their new coach is being paid $6-7M per year.

Now we know, Fisher has signed his new agreement: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...rida-state-jimbo-fisher-new-contract/4261255/

UT Football doesnt have to call the girls. They call UT.

UT Football doesnt have to call the girls. They call UT.

And say "thanks for showing interest. It got my current boyfriend to get me a ring" :lol:

I've never seen this many coaches get raises and extensions just by bein rumored as a target by a school. I'm sure texas will get a good coach but it seems now that all the big splash, home run hires are off the board.

And say "thanks for showing interest. It got my current boyfriend to get me a ring" :lol:

I've never seen this many coaches get raises and extensions just by bein rumored as a target by a school. I'm sure texas will get a good coach but it seems now that all the big splash, home run hires are off the board.

Its called agents doing their job and leveraging one of the premier jobs in football. And anyone of these big names would most certainly entertain the idea, but the timing has to be right too.

Joe Schad ‏@schadjoe 2m

Jimbo Fisher's new deal is not expected to include increased buyout. Buyout not a factor for Texas anyway.

FSU views signing of new deal as strong 2-way commitment. But don't eliminate possibility of deliberate Texas.

Its called agents doing their job and leveraging one of the premier jobs in football. And anyone of these big names would most certainly entertain the idea, but the timing has to be right too.

Exactly. The coach gets more money, and the school gets more mega money if the coach leaves. Win-win for them.

Charlie Strong would be a great hire. He succeeded at Louisville with marginal talent, imagine what he can do in a hotbed like Texas.

Urban Meyer would be a home run, love or hate him dude knows how to build & run a powerhouse.

Last edited:
Urban Meyer would be a home run, love or hate him dude knows how to build & run a powerhouse.

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little. Urban Meyer is the coach for people who are OK selling their soul to win football games.

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little. Urban Meyer is the coach for people who are OK selling their soul to win football games.

A man who's all about winning is selling your soul?

Give me a winner like Meyer any day. Do they keep score for a reason?

I expect every name that gets mentioned will issue a denial right after they set up an interview time.

Paul Finebaum ‏@finebaum 44m

. @BDavisAAS tells us that he believes three candidates are still potentially in mix for Texas job... Charlie Strong, Saban & Jimbo Fisher

Paul Finebaum ‏@finebaum 44m

. @BDavisAAS tells us that he believes three candidates are still potentially in mix for Texas job... Charlie Strong, Saban & Jimbo Fisher

So someone at the Austin paper, who likely has no inroads with patterson yet, thinks saban and Fisher are still a legitimate targets

That is based on the big donors wish list. There are 4 or 5 factions trying to push the guy they want. Hell red mccombs was trying to work a deal for gruden. Lol

Good luck with that.

So someone at the Austin paper, who likely has no inroads with patterson yet, thinks saban and Fisher are still a legitimate targets

That is based on the big donors wish list. There are 4 or 5 factions trying to push the guy they want. Hell red mccombs was trying to work a deal for gruden. Lol

If the Texans wanted to hire Strong or Franklin they could've done that already. The fact that they haven't suggest they are patiently waiting for Jimbo.

If the Texans wanted to hire Strong or Franklin they could've done that already. The fact that they haven't suggest they are patiently waiting for Jimbo.

Or that every other person they have started to focus in on decides to decline.

Follow

Bobby Burton
‏@BobbyBurton247
High-ranking official if decision was between Strong and Franklin the decision would come in next 24 hours. "I highly doubt that."

If Strong or Franklin were Texas #1 choice they would've already been hired.

I have no idea why the boosters at Texas think they need a silly big name. Mack Brown was a good well thought of coach at North Carolina, but was far from being a splashy hire.

They should have been looking and evaluating the Strong, Franklin, whoever else is on the good, productive and upcoming tier instead of chasing names.

If Strong or Franklin were Texas #1 choice they would've already been hired.

True,but everyone else they've been reported approaching has said "No thanks" either through the media or by renewing with their current school, including Fisher and saban.

My point? They aren't going to get their first, second, or third choice now,though they will claim they are once the hire is made.

Back