Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Undrafted Free Agent Signings Thread

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Who is this? Ron "the show" Hughley.. Do you know where your muffler is located at?
I did have to google dip stick on my Porsche Panamera only to find out it doesn't have one. There isn't anything Mills does better than Minshew. I'm not saying Minshew is the answer anymore than I'm saying Mills is the answer. I'm saying if it about competition, then why isn't the qb being challenged for his spot?

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
I did have to google dip stick on my Porsche Panamera only to find out it doesn't have one. There isn't anything Mills does better than Minshew. I'm not saying Minshew is the answer anymore than I'm saying Mills is the answer. I'm saying if it about competition, then why isn't the qb being challenged for his spot?
Competition doesn't always make things better.

I want Mills to get as many first team reps (and second team reps) as he can handle. I don't need Minshew coming in here and competing with Mills, stealing reps that could be used for Mills' development.

Now that I've said that, Caserio is going to sign someone who's going to steal Mills' reps and stunt his development.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
How many games did Mills win as a rookie and how many did Minshew win as a rookie?
Based on my previous post the question is how many games did Minshew/Mills lose?

I like Minshew. I don’t need to bring him in to tell you I’d rather have Mills. I wouldn’t mind bringing in real competition, but I want him competing against guys who know how to play within the structure of a team.

I’ve seen Minshew on a bad team & he tries too hard. I’ve seen Mills on a bad team & I think Mills got more out of what he had.

Not popular but I’d rather bring in Dalton, Foles, even Flacco. Not so much about competition, but more to help Mills take the next step.

I’m not looking to replace Mills with another possible “get me through the season” QB. He’s either going to take a big step in 2022 where I feel good about his ability to win games in 2023 (right now it’s more about the process) or I’m looking for a franchise QB in 2023 draft

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Especially the backup. Minshew probably could win that job if it were open. Minshew would be out Davis Mills if it were open competition, but they don't want that to justify the pick.
I am surprised Minshew isn’t starting somewhere next year.

Pittsburgh, Seattle, and Carolina are all places he would excel.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
How many games did Mills win as a rookie and how many did Minshew win as a rookie? I mean its cool to want to pull for Mills, I'm just stating if its about competition, bring in some competition. If he's clearly better, then that's not a negative,but just handing him the job after what he did last year, I don't think you're improving your team if you're talking about competition.
I would be with you if Minshew was actually good. They brought in Kyle Allen who's alot like Minshew, talented but turnover prone.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
How about not turning the ball over as much as Minshew does?

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Based on my previous post the question is how many games did Minshew/Mills lose?

I like Minshew. I don’t need to bring him in to tell you I’d rather have Mills. I wouldn’t mind bringing in real competition, but I want him competing against guys who know how to play within the structure of a team.

I’ve seen Minshew on a bad team & he tries too hard. I’ve seen Mills on a bad team & I think Mills got more out of what he had.

Not popular but I’d rather bring in Dalton, Foles, even Flacco. Not so much about competition, but more to help Mills take the next step.

I’m not looking to replace Mills with another possible “get me through the season” QB. He’s either going to take a big step in 2022 where I feel good about his ability to win games in 2023 (right now it’s more about the process) or I’m looking for a franchise QB in 2023 draft
You may not be in position for this so called franchise qb. There really is only 1 and once they start poking holes in his smallish frame, even he's not going to look as good. This team isn't good enough from a talent perspective to not have competition at almost every position. That's how you nuild a strong team, nothing given, everything earned. Cooks,Tunsil,Collins are the only guys who are far and away better than anuone else at their position, thats it. If you bring in competition and Mills win's the spot, that makes your team stronger.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
You may not be in position for this so called franchise qb.
Depends. Pittsburg is going to take a shot with a guy they got at 20. The guy he’s replacing was drafted at 11. The dude in Greenbay at 27. KC got their guy at 10. The guy in Cleveland was drafted at 12.

I agree, competition should raise the level of QB play. But I think we’re missing the boat if we’re going to pit Mills against Minshew’s physical talent. He needs to be competing on the mental side & I don’t think Minshew brings anything to that arena

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
I would be with you if Minshew was actually good. They brought in Kyle Allen who's alot like Minshew, talented but turnover prone.
Nah, Kyle Allen hasn't been as productive as Minshew since high school. I'm not saying Minshew is going to change the world, but you know I don't think Mills will either. Minshew won 6 games as a rookie and has above a 3:1 Td ratio with a bad cast in Jacksonville.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!

I want Mills to get as many first team reps (and second team reps) as he can handle. I don't need Minshew coming in here and competing with Mills, stealing reps that could be used for Mills' development.

Now that I've said that, Caserio is going to sign someone who's going to steal Mills' reps and stunt his development.
You act like Minshew is 30 or something. If you get beat out by a 3rd year 7th rd pick, then you're not the dude anyway. So Mills miss a game for whatever reason, the squad gonna roll into with Kyle Allen huh?

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!

Montana had Young over his shoulder. Simms had Hostettler. Aikman had Walsh. Hell even Warren Moon had Carlson. The year they were turning the team over to Rodgers, they drafted a qb in the 2nd and 6th rds. Seagawks signed flynn and drafted Wilson. Wilson beat out Flynn and we know the rest. If you're not established, no matter the position, you need competition.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
You act like Minshew is 30 or something. If you get beat out by a 3rd year 7th rd pick, then you're not the dude anyway. So Mills miss a game for whatever reason, the squad gonna roll into with Kyle Allen huh?
I'm acting like Minshew needs work and time in order to be properly developed. If you want to bring Minshew in because you think he can be the guy, then great. Bring him in, give him first team reps and devote the time and effort to try to mold him into a franchise QB. But if you do that, it means you're not devoting that time and effort to develop Mills properly.

And yes, if you look just at the short term, Minshew has had more time to acclimate to the NFL speed. He knows more about playing QB in the NFL than Mills does at this point, and he could well outperform him even though Mills (properly developed) may be the better QB long term. In a competition he might win. But if you have that competition, then you're splitting reps and not allowing either QB to reach their potential.

But I don't get why we're talking about Minshew to begin with. He's still Jalen Hurts' backup in Philly to the best of my knowledge.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Isn't it interesting that almost every thread no matter what the original topic somehow bunny trails to quarterbacks that have nothing to do with the thread.

Perhaps a mod will move these posts to NFL?

Max

Veteran
Montana had Young over his shoulder. Simms had Hostettler. Aikman had Walsh. Hell even Warren Moon had Carlson. The year they were turning the team over to Rodgers, they drafted a qb in the 2nd and 6th rds. Seagawks signed flynn and drafted Wilson. Wilson beat out Flynn and we know the rest. If you're not established, no matter the position, you need competition.
If Minshew and Mills were both rookies I'd agree with you. But they both have enough seasoning that you can project a ceiling. A guy going through his progressions is going to develop slower than a dude that bails on his reads and sandlots his way out of a jam. If you give sandlot dude the job cuz he's further ahead, you're stuck with a sandlot ceiling. QB competition is different than every other position because you have to look down the road and decide who has the traits you want to develop... not who's better at the moment.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Isn't it interesting that almost every thread no matter what the original topic somehow bunny trails to quarterbacks that have nothing to do with the thread.

Perhaps a mod will move these posts to NFL?
I know I jumped in and stated a bad team like the Texans could use 6th and 7th rd picks vs undrafted free agents. I was hoping that if you have a 7th, why not draft Carson Strong vs bringing in a guy like Hogan, Driskell, or even Finley? I mean the Patriots drafted a qb in Zappe after drafting Jones last year.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
I know I jumped in and stated a bad team like the Texans could use 6th and 7th rd picks vs undrafted free agents. I was hoping that if you have a 7th, why not draft Carson Strong vs bringing in a guy like Hogan, Driskell, or even Finley? I mean the Patriots drafted a qb in Zappe after drafting Jones last year.
They drafted Zappe round 4 pick 137. Would you prefer the Texans have done that?

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Excited about Sheffield, he's pretty good and extremely athletic. I could see him starting and King being moved to FS with Petrie at SS.

Who returns punts this yr?
Sheffield dealt with injury last season that probably helped him fall out of favor with the new coaching staff.

He’s highly athletic but I don’t see him ahead of Steven Nelson or even King. I think its more a competition between him and Isaac Yiadom for that final CB spot decided by who is the better ST performer.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Sheffield dealt with injury last season that probably helped him fall out of favor with the new coaching staff.

He’s highly athletic but I don’t see him ahead of Steven Nelson or even King. I think its more a competition between him and Isaac Yiadom for that final CB spot decided by who is the better ST performer.
Sheffield did start for the Falcons. Atleast there will be good competition for the CB spot opposite Stingley.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Excited about Sheffield, he's pretty good and extremely athletic. I could see him starting and King being moved to FS with Petrie at SS.

Who returns punts this yr?
I dunno I'm confused about Lovie's defense because I thought it featured two deep (free) safeties but you seem to say here he's gonna have a SS or traditional box safety at the los ?

Number19

Hall of Fame
I dunno I'm confused about Lovie's defense because I thought it featured two deep (free) safeties but you seem to say here he's gonna have a SS or traditional box safety at the los ?
Here's a pretty good explanation of the safety position in Lovie's defense:
Finally, the Tampa 2 scheme employs two safeties. These are known respectively as the strong safety and the free safety.

The strong safety is colloquially called the “box safety.”...Although not necessarily lesser in coverage, the strong safety is frequently tasked with playing “in the box” or alongside the linebackers to help with the run. They’re ferocious tacklers that need to be equally competent with their deep zone.

...Baylor safety Jalen Pitre also fits this mold.

Meanwhile, the other safety is known as the “free safety.” This is generally the last line of defense, the guy who in Cover 1 is responsible for the deepest zone. They need to be incredibly rangy in coverage to cover sideline to sideline and have a great football IQ to read plays as they develop...

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Great article!
So the question now is who is going to be our FS?
Good question and damn good article but I've got one myself after reading the article about Lovie's Tampa 2 which says:
"For the Tampa 2, corners are tasked with playing a majority of snaps in zone coverage. "
Stingleys forte is man coverage, right ?
So maybe I'm missing something here, but if Tampa 2 corners play a minority and not majority of their coverage in man, then why use the #3 overall on allegedly the top man-cover guy coming out of college in years ?

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Good question and damn good article but I've got one myself after reading the article about Lovie's Tampa 2 which says:
"For the Tampa 2, corners are tasked with playing a majority of snaps in zone coverage. "
So maybe I'm missing something here, but if Tampa 2 corners play a minority and not majority of their coverage in man, then why use the #3 overall on allegedly the top man-cover guy coming out of college in years ?
Definitely food for thought.
I can see Lovie putting Stingley in the box safety position and Pitre in the free.
Let other guys on the roster prove them selves at corner?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Stingley if healthy has proven to be adept in both man and zone coverage. It's the reason he was picked over Sauce. Sauce is mainly a man guy.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
No, it was talked about after the draft that Stingleys big advantage over Sauce was the ability to play both while they saw Sauce as a predominate press man corner
Spot on

Sorry I didn't see this post when I posted.

Reactions: JB