Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Trent Williams LT Available

TexansFight

Veteran
Trent Williams LT Washington has just demanded trade. This is our chance to finally get a franchise LT. We need to do this now.
Just heard this on the radio. Cut Matt Khalil and get this done. There is absolutely ZERO reason not to trade and sign this guy to an extension in the $16.5 million per year that Trent Brown got. 3rd highest rated LT per PFF. He is consistently been one of the top LT in the league.

Last edited:

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
Okay lets take a step back. Williams has been busted on two seperate occasions for substance abuse 4 games in 2011 and 4 more in 2016 .. Pattern? On top of that the guy has not played a full season since 2013, and has only played a full season 2 times in his 10 year career. I get that he's a sexy name out there, and could very well help someone, but I would steer clear myself and HELL NOOOO to giving up Clowney who's actually showing some ironman traits and continues to get better each year, not worse.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Can't wait to see steelb's slant on this.
Those substance abuse episodes will likely mean Texans will not touch the phone. At least back in Rick's day anyway.
Depends on how badly he'd like to come back home and if he can convince FO he wants it.
I also do not want to lose Clowney.

281Texan

Waterboy
I don’t agree with giving up clowney for him, just because I don’t think the value is equal there. We did just draft two OT’s with premium picks, so to do that then trade away a key player on defense doesn’t make sense to me. However, I would gladly offer a third for Trent. If he does get hurt/suspended/etc. then we have a young guy who can step in and takeover. If he works out, then we don’t have to worry about two rookies panning out. Odds of both of them being bookends for the next 10 years is slim.

However, nothing about what gaine has done this off-season really makes sense to me. I don’t know if we’re saving in order to extend guys (no pressing extensions this offseason outside of clowney who were unwilling to pay) or if gaine is so badly misjudging the state of the roster that he thinks were contenders and we just need to run it back with some new young blood at key positions and we’ll be fine, or if there’s tension between bill and gaine and he’s leaving the cupboard bare for him this season knowing it’s likely his last. I really don’t know, but I don’t see him making the trade for him. It makes too much sense, so it won’t happen. Gaine better hope he killed this draft class, because if not, and let’s say tytus is a bust while Andre Dillard excels, we need to clean house from top to bottom and get some guys in here who want to win and not just save the ownership money and season ticket sells.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I don’t agree with giving up clowney for him, just because I don’t think the value is equal there. We did just draft two OT’s with premium picks, so to do that then trade away a key player on defense doesn’t make sense to me. However, I would gladly offer a third for Trent. If he does get hurt/suspended/etc. then we have a young guy who can step in and takeover. If he works out, then we don’t have to worry about two rookies panning out. Odds of both of them being bookends for the next 10 years is slim.

However, nothing about what gaine has done this off-season really makes sense to me. I don’t know if we’re saving in order to extend guys (no pressing extensions this offseason outside of clowney who were unwilling to pay) or if gaine is so badly misjudging the state of the roster that he thinks were contenders and we just need to run it back with some new young blood at key positions and we’ll be fine, or if there’s tension between bill and gaine and he’s leaving the cupboard bare for him this season knowing it’s likely his last. I really don’t know, but I don’t see him making the trade for him. It makes too much sense, so it won’t happen. Gaine better hope he killed this draft class, because if not, and let’s say tytus is a bust while Andre Dillard excels, we need to clean house from top to bottom and get some guys in here who want to win and not just save the ownership money and season ticket sells.
Agree with your first paragraph

this would be absolutely dumb. unless they take our project lt and project guard then absolutely not. we shot our wad on those guys. you cant give up clowney or any other draft picks for this guy. unless of course they are open to taking a 2 or 3 next year.

TexansFight

Veteran
Just heard this on the radio. Cut Matt Khalil and get this done. There is absolutely ZERO reason not to trade and sign this guy to an extension in the $16.5 million per year that Trent Brown got. 3rd highest rated LT per PFF. He is consistently been one of the top LT in the league.

TexansFight

Veteran
Okay lets take a step back. Williams has been busted on two seperate occasions for substance abuse 4 games in 2011 and 4 more in 2016 .. Pattern? On top of that the guy has not played a full season since 2013, and has only played a full season 2 times in his 10 year career. I get that he's a sexy name out there, and could very well help someone, but I would steer clear myself and HELL NOOOO to giving up Clowney who's actually showing some ironman traits and continues to get better each year, not worse.
Who gives a crap if he gives us just 10 games that’s a massive upgrade

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Just because he has demanded a trade doesn't mean it will happen. He's under WAS control thru 2020 at this point with $14M cap hits this year and next

Desmond Harrison who started at LT in the first 8 games for the Browns was just waived. Has some personal stuff he needs to take care of.

Find out what those things are and put in a claim for him all while kicking the tires on Trent Williams.

If Howard is best suited at RT and Scharping is best suited for G then we need to inquire about these 2.

Also Trent for Clowney is dumb and makes no sense.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame

I don't get where this "nothing makes sense" keeps coming from, if you've been listening to what they have been saying since Gaines was hired everything they have done has made perfect sense. From day one they have said they wanted a certain type of athlete physically and they want to build almost exclusively through the draft. This has always been their plan and they are following it to the letter, whether its a good plan or not is a different conversation but as far as what they are doing its been fairly easy to guess the general direction if not the exact players they would aim for.

Also no this doesn't "make to much sense" and is far from a no brainer. As Rico pointed out there are some major red flags with him. That doesn't automatically mean they shouldn't do it but it sure as hell should be taken into consideration. As far as Gaines killing it this draft class what if Dillard is a bust and Howard excels, should the Eagles clean house from top to bottom? Considering Dillard isn't even expected to start, actually Howard has a better chance of starting this year barring injury, how does that change the dynamic? Far as Clowney is concerned this is typical negotiation tactics unless the guy is your franchise player which you absolutely must resign of which Clowney is not. Both sides are waiting to see what the market will offer and my guess is the market for Clowney isn't near as high as either side thought.

I agree with the first part of your post.

mussop

Hall of Fame
this would be absolutely dumb. unless they take our project lt and project guard then absolutely not. we shot our wad on those guys. you cant give up clowney or any other draft picks for this guy. unless of course they are open to taking a 2 or 3 next year.
Lol so you would pass up one of the top 5 best LTs in football because we spent our #23 first round pick on a project T out of BFE college? If Clowney were their asking price I would ask for more in return but remember, According to some here has a limited career ahead of him because of micro fracture surgery.

Honoring Earl 34

Something Witty !
Desmond Harrison who started at LT in the first 8 games for the Browns was just waived. Has some personal stuff he needs to take care of.

Find out what those things are and put in a claim for him all while kicking the tires on Trent Williams.

If Howard is best suited at RT and Scharping is best suited for G then we need to inquire about these 2.

Also Trent for Clowney is dumb and makes no sense.
Desmond has had is issues starting at UT . If it's not serious then I would take him and play with house money .

Dejaview

All Pro
I’ve read as much as I can about this and I say hell no. Gruden wants to keep him in the worst way because they don’t have a backup they are comfortable with. Even though it’s reported that he is upset over their medical staff most reports seem to think its money. He is due 14m$ the next two years. Otherwise Petersen says he doesn’t know anything about this desire to leave and expects him in camp eventually. Guy is 31 and coming off his worst PFF grade since his rookie season. I would definitely not give up Clowney. We are already thin with edge rushers. TW’s missed some games lately and everything I’ve read indicates that he certainly hasn’t found the fountain of youth lately. At the end of the day I just don’t think the Skins will part with him. If they do they will consider whatever they demand for him a steal.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Would take him for a day 2 pick next year. Best part about the OL drafted this year is they have experience at multiple positions on OL. No rule against putting that versatility to use if a top LT becomes available at a bargain price due to extenuating circumstances.

That being said I assume this is just a summer smokescreen and will be sorted out in-house or last until trade deadline like our Duane Brown situation.

No incentive for Redskins to move him in June when their next best option is perennial bust Ereck Flowers.

Pretty sure him and Cushing don't get along, doubt we would look at him now that I actually think about it from a "compatibility" point of view.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Can't wait to see steelb's slant on this.
Those substance abuse episodes will likely mean Texans will not touch the phone. At least back in Rick's day anyway.
Depends on how badly he'd like to come back home and if he can convince FO he wants it.
I also do not want to lose Clowney.
Williams wants a new contract, this costs money. That means a trade will never happen.

I would give up what the Seahawks gave up for DB. Williams could hold down the fort until the young guys are ready. I would make this trade because I value protecting Watson more than I value cap space. But I'm not trying to win the salary cap championship.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Trent Williams LT Washington has just demanded trade. This is our chance to finally get a franchise LT. We need to do this now. We are sitting on all this salary cap money, this is a perfect opportunity.
So you've already discounted Howard & Scharping to the extent you see neither of them giving us no opportunity @ LT ?

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Trent Williams LT Washington has just demanded trade. This is our chance to finally get a franchise LT. We need to do this now. We are sitting on all this salary cap money, this is a perfect opportunity.
So you've already discounted Howard & Scharping to the extent you see neither of them giving us any opportunity @ LT ?

TexansFight

Veteran
Williams wants a new contract, this costs money. That means a trade will never happen.

I would give up what the Seahawks gave up for DB. Williams could hold down the fort until the young guys are ready. I would make this trade because I value protecting Watson more than I value cap space. But I'm not trying to win the salary cap championship.
Thank you. Quoted for the truth to be read out again. Team SteelB

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
So you've already discounted Howard & Scharping to the extent you see neither of them giving us no opportunity @ LT ?
I see them as not ready to play LT at a level anywhere near what Williams can in the NFL. Seeing that they are small school rookies that have yet to play a down in the NFL and Williams is an all pro caliber LT.

The Texans can only hope that the young OT'S can become as good as Williams is.

281Texan

Waterboy
I don't get where this "nothing makes sense" keeps coming from, if you've been listening to what they have been saying since Gaines was hired everything they have done has made perfect sense. From day one they have said they wanted a certain type of athlete physically and they want to build almost exclusively through the draft. This has always been their plan and they are following it to the letter, whether its a good plan or not is a different conversation but as far as what they are doing its been fairly easy to guess the general direction if not the exact players they would aim for.

Also no this doesn't "make to much sense" and is far from a no brainer. As Rico pointed out there are some major red flags with him. That doesn't automatically mean they shouldn't do it but it sure as hell should be taken into consideration. As far as Gaines killing it this draft class what if Dillard is a bust and Howard excels, should the Eagles clean house from top to bottom? Considering Dillard isn't even expected to start, actually Howard has a better chance of starting this year barring injury, how does that change the dynamic? Far as Clowney is concerned this is typical negotiation tactics unless the guy is your franchise player which you absolutely must resign of which Clowney is not. Both sides are waiting to see what the market will offer and my guess is the market for Clowney isn't near as high as either side thought.

I’ll start with this. This whole looking for the certain type of physical appearance from a player is something Bill is enamored with, and something that I believe is the stupidest thing on earth. I want football players on my football team. I don’t care what they look like when they get off the bus. Is it good for a corner to be long? Sure. That’s obvuously a plus. But some of the all time greats didn’t have that. It’s how they play. Last year, our interior pass rush generated nothing. Why not kick the tires on Gerald McCoy? I mean can a 1 year partially guaranteed deal REALLY kill us? It’s not like we don’t have money in the bank.

Which leads me to my next point. We have all that money and get outbid by a divisional rival for an all pro guard. Let HB walk (that was smart, he was too expensive) but settle for tashaun Gipson. Don’t even really attempt to get Earl Thomas or another difference maker. Roby is iffy at best. We’ll see. Bottom line, you get passed up by the colts. Your franchise QB is on a rookie deal, and you have a ton of money to play with. And you bring in guys like Matt Kalil. I’m sorry, I don’t get it. Not like the guys Jeff luhnow and has every right to play that game. Gaine’s only accomplishment to date is drafting Justin Reid.

281Texan

Waterboy

Also, no. If Dillard busts and Howard works out that means nothing for phillys front office as they are notorious for developing great OL’s, Howie has won a super bowl, has been aggressive while wentz is on a rookie deal, and has proven to be a legit GM. Gaine doesn’t have that luxury yet

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
False expectations?

False expectations would be expecting the Texans to spend money on protecting Watson.

I'd totally get this guy. If he is only under contract for this year and next year then that is a nice deal to me. Yeah, you're paying a lot for him, but if he is healthy he should play very well being revitalized on a new team with a great young QB. And now the Texans would be collecting Oline depth with their rookie draft picks and wouldn't be so forced to throw them in the fire in all of the tough situations as much. Would I trade Clowney for him? Absolutely. Texans aren't going to pay max dollars to Clowney like some other stupid team will, so them not trading Clowney at this point has been stupid. Also people are not realizing that trading for Clowney for another team is also very risky, because they don't know if he'll resign there.

This is the Texans though. They'll stand pat and build through the draft as always and likely get nothing for Clowney before he leaves for free agency.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I’ll start with this. This whole looking for the certain type of physical appearance from a player is something Bill is enamored with, and something that I believe is the stupidest thing on earth. I want football players on my football team. I don’t care what they look like when they get off the bus. Is it good for a corner to be long? Sure. That’s obvuously a plus. But some of the all time greats didn’t have that. It’s how they play. Last year, our interior pass rush generated nothing. Why not kick the tires on Gerald McCoy? I mean can a 1 year partially guaranteed deal REALLY kill us? It’s not like we don’t have money in the bank.

Which leads me to my next point. We have all that money and get outbid by a divisional rival for an all pro guard. Let HB walk (that was smart, he was too expensive) but settle for tashaun Gipson. Don’t even really attempt to get Earl Thomas or another difference maker. Roby is iffy at best. We’ll see. Bottom line, you get passed up by the colts. Your franchise QB is on a rookie deal, and you have a ton of money to play with. And you bring in guys like Matt Kalil. I’m sorry, I don’t get it. Not like the guys Jeff luhnow and has every right to play that game. Gaine’s only accomplishment to date is drafting Justin Reid.
Amen

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
All good points and thanks for bringing a dose of reality to all of the guys on this Board who want to throw players, draft picks and cap space at an over-the-hill LT with
PED issues and dreams of breaking the bank on a new contract.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I'd totally get this guy. If he is only under contract for this year and next year then that is a nice deal to me. Yeah, you're paying a lot for him, but if he is healthy he should play very well being revitalized on a new team with a great young QB. And now the Texans would be collecting Oline depth with their rookie draft picks and wouldn't be so forced to throw them in the fire in all of the tough situations as much. Would I trade Clowney for him? Absolutely. Texans aren't going to pay max dollars to Clowney like some other stupid team will, so them not trading Clowney at this point has been stupid. Also people are not realizing that trading for Clowney for another team is also very risky, because they don't know if he'll resign there.

This is the Texans though. They'll stand pat and build through the draft as always and likely get nothing for Clowney before he leaves for free agency.
Spot on

Dejaview

All Pro
Has anyone even considered if Haskins will start at QB? If so no way the Skins are looking to trade Williams. Not in the NFC East.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Williams is over the hill.

LMAO
You know the word is he's only finished two seasons in his whole 10 year carer and neither is in the last 5 years and he's 31 years old wih PED issues, so he's past his prime, on the backside of his career, over the hill, or whatever we choose to call it.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
You know the word is he's only finished two seasons in his whole 10 year carer and neither is in the last 5 years and he's 31 years old wih PED issues, so he's past his prime, on the backside of his career, over the hill, or whatever we choose to call it.
Missed games in nonetheless probowl years. He will be, not is 31 (DB will be 34 this season). It isn't unusual for a quality Olman to play to 37-38. Really wish folks would stop acting like age is the same for all players and is measured by RBs.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Missed games in nonetheless probowl years. He will be, not is 31 (DB will be 34 this season). It isn't unusual for a quality Olman to play to 37-38. Really wish folks would stop acting like age is the same for all players and is measured by RBs.
Well he will be 31 when they tee it up in September, so that's the same thing.
OK so what do you think the Texans should do re MR Trent Williams ? Do nothing and stand pat with their current plan at LT for 2019 or approach the Redskins and offer them what kind of consideration in a trade for their LT ?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Give me 10 games so the young guys can get ready. Front load the first 2 yrs of the new contract you sign him too.

Watson's healthy is worth the investment. LT's of his caliber very rarely become available and Watson isn't due for 2 more yrs. You will lose Clowney after this yr, but that's the price you have to pay to protect Watson.