Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Trent Williams LT Available

What's unique about having your football franchise in Houston, TX is ownership/management can make all the boneheaded decisions and mistakes they want and they will still sell out games. I've been a season ticket holder since year one, as has my family, and I don't think there's anything the Texans could do to make me want to sell. To me it's life, but to most others it's a Sunday experience. We are a loyal fanbase. These guys on the radio saying "just don't show up to the games - that'll stick it to them". No it wont, and that's easy for some 20-something radio personality to say - especially since most didn't live here during those years where football in Houston was non-existent. People like the McNair's feel no pressure in a city like this because at the end of the day they know it will have little to no effect, financially or otherwise. Not saying it's right or wrong, just an observation of the nature of things.

I don't give a flying fuck how people react. I care about the trophy case having something in it. We could go on a Patriots 2 decade run and people will find something to bitch about. Screw them.

I remember not liking the $25M payrolls the Astros had and losing 100+ games a year, but I also knew they had to start over. I was skeptical, of course, but like I said, I didn't know anything about Crane and if he'd do what he said he'd do. So, OK, you say that's your plan, we'll see. Well, they've gone and done everything they said they would. They've earned my trust. The Texans, not so much.

And you're right, the Texans don't have to tell us shit. But you'd think that an organization that needs us to buy their tickets and merchandise and beer and nachos, would point us in some kind of direction. They choose not to and that's why they're behind the Astros and Rockets in the give a damn factor right now.

Yeah see that's the thing, every person on here could boycott the Texans and never spend another dime on them and it would be a cup of water out of a lake. They wouldn't even notice, most people are happy to go, have a good tailgate, watch Watson throw some passes, Nuk make some great catches and JJ push a QB's face into the ground and its a good day. If we make the playoffs and win the division the hype train is going full steam ahead so its an even better day. In other words most people really don't care about long term plan, who the GM is, who the owner his and hell I bet many couldn't point out BoB if they passed him on the street. Its just mindless fun to them and worth the price of the ticket win or lose.

Yeah see that's the thing, every person on here could boycott the Texans and never spend another dime on them and it would be a cup of water out of a lake. They wouldn't even notice, most people are happy to go, have a good tailgate, watch Watson throw some passes, Nuk make some great catches and JJ push a QB's face into the ground and its a good day. If we make the playoffs and win the division the hype train is going full steam ahead so its an even better day. In other words most people really don't care about long term plan, who the GM is, who the owner his and hell I bet many couldn't point out BoB if they passed him on the street. Its just mindless fun to them and worth the price of the ticket win or lose.

You're right, football rules, but even though the tickets are sold, I've seen that stadium half empty in the really bad years. The Christmas day Pittsburgh game was an embarrassment. I've been a season ticket holder since day one, and had never missed a game until last year. This year I'm selling my tickets, for several reasons I won't get into, but one reason is the care factor for this football/Texans fan just isn't there. I'll keep buying them as I view it as an investment now, but I'll be going to fewer games and putting in less time then I used to. At least until they start to show me there's an ounce of competence in the building. That's just me though.

I'll watch the games and all that, but I just don't have faith in anything they're doing right now. Only the Texans can change that.

I don't really see how Williams ends up on the Pats. They just don't have the money in their cap for him unless they traded a player who could drop a significant portion off of their cap to make it fit. Anything is possible of course, but I don't see a Williams trade happening with the Pats.

I don't really see how Williams ends up on the Pats. They just don't have the money in their cap for him unless they traded a player who could drop a significant portion off of their cap to make it fit. Anything is possible of course, but I don't see a Williams trade happening with the Pats.
If not the Pats then where if he's traded ? On a percentage basis what chances of him coming here, whats ya say ?

I can see the pressure of the Rockets and Astros making huge splash signings as a sort of motivating factor for a move like this. It just makes too much sense on the top layer. You could talk yourself out of a move like this if you dig too deep, but really with all the news that the the only tackle that is playing well during training camp so far is Kalil (YIKES) then you have to try and pry him loose. You have the cap space to absorb the contract. This is where that King Gidorah of front offices is probably stuck in the mud. You have 3 different guys, with 3 different visions offering up 3 different plans. They have paralyzed themselves with indecision. I'd absorb the baggage and injury history of Williams for the opportunity to bring in a true ALL PRO guy that the youngsters could emulate. Not just journeymen project guys like themselves.

with all that said i give it a 10% chance of happening for this team.

Tbh unless the skins are wanting something crazy or arent willing to deal, the Texans should absolutely be scrutinized for not having made a move yet.

But of course we dint know so we can only speculate.

Assuming the Skins trade him, which is probably a 50/50 proposition, I'd place the odds of actually landing him around 15%. Ownership isn't interested in making a move like this, and there's no GM to talk Cal into it.

Too many cooks in the kitchen ruin a recipe. They need one guy that takes on a true GM role - even if it's an interim role for this year only. IT doesn't even matter who it is. Someone needs to take control and be "the guy." The way this team is run right now is never going to work. It's a freaking joke.

If we had a true GM and an owner who cared about winning, we would be the front runners, but I'll be shocked if we land him.

Assuming the Skins trade him, which is probably a 50/50 proposition, I'd place the odds of actually landing him around 15%. Ownership isn't interested in making a move like this, and there's no GM to talk Cal into it.

Too many cooks in the kitchen ruin a recipe. They need one guy that takes on a true GM role - even if it's an interim role for this year only. IT doesn't even matter who it is. Someone needs to take control and be "the guy." The way this team is run right now is never going to work. It's a freaking joke.

If we had a true GM and an owner who cared about winning, we would be the front runners, but I'll be shocked if we land him.
quick question and don't h8 me 4 it but what happened to ur guys GM anyways?

Not directing this to you exactly Pork but it does bring up a question I have been wondering with this whole "no GM" debate and that is why do we think having a GM would increase our chances? Wasn't it just a couple of months a go everyone was complaining about how Gaine was to conservative and not trying to make moves in F/A? The biggest move in F/A Smith made was Osweiler and that was almost an exception rather than a rule. I'm not saying Cal will be any different but this really is the first time we have actually had a real all pro come up for grabs since Cal took over. To me not having a GM might actually increase our chances of Texans going after him.

It was only in the last few days that it became sort of public knowledge that Washington would be open to a trade. With at least three teams rumored to be interested I am not surprised there has been no known movement at this time. It is rare for a trade to occur in the last 2 minutes as did the Astros. We need to remember in that situation 'stros had called concerning a relief pitcher. It was later in the conversation the starter came into play and his team refused the initial offer. I think that trade was done only due to the pressing deadline which NFL is not at yet. I think Browns are our only competition if TW is traded.

Final straw in "Texans aren't interested in fixing the O-line" story. We had several chances and now these poor sods can't get off their tails and trade for T. Williams, a sure thing top tier left tackle by all accounts.

Disgusting.

I see lots of excuses. What we need is action. Yes, I realize we as fans are not privy to every conservation so it's certainly possible a call has been made, but if they are ever going to be aggressive and bold, this is the time to do it.

Meatbear - the former GM, Brian Gaine, who was only on the job roughly 16 months, got summarily fired this June.

Not directing this to you exactly Pork but it does bring up a question I have been wondering with this whole "no GM" debate and that is why do we think having a GM would increase our chances? Wasn't it just a couple of months a go everyone was complaining about how Gaine was to conservative and not trying to make moves in F/A? The biggest move in F/A Smith made was Osweiler and that was almost an exception rather than a rule. I'm not saying Cal will be any different but this really is the first time we have actually had a real all pro come up for grabs since Cal took over. To me not having a GM might actually increase our chances of Texans going after him.

I'm not sure I follow the logic that it's more likely. Maybe, just maybe, it isn't any less likely. But more likely? I don't see it.

I see lots of excuses. What we need is action. Yes, I realize we as fans are not privy to every conservation so it's certainly possible a call has been made, but if they are ever going to be aggressive and bold, this is the time to do it.

Meatbear - the former GM, Brian Gaine, who was only on the job roughly 16 months, got summarily fired this June.
R they doing interviews 4 replacing him or nah

I remember back in 2015 The FO was supposedly incompetent and stupid back then too for not being “aggressive” and giving up “whatever it took” to bring in Ryan Mallet. Of course we know how that turned out. And then again folks on here said they were incompetent in the 2016 offseason for not trying to get a qb at all costs after the Hoyer playoff debacle in ...until the news broke about us landing Oz.......and then they were stupid again for not “aggressively” trying to get better on the o-line by going after Trent Brown...until he confirmed himself that the Texans were finalists in his decision.

The point is Just b/c ya’ll don’t hear the rumor mills churning and/or your HC/GM isn’t on every sports talk radio show in Houston running his mouth about chasing this top player or that top player (Daryl Morey), don’t mean shits not happening!

As illustrated above with the Texans and ...and has been demonstrated recently with Westbrook and Grienke, ALL Of our teams’ biggest moves usually come out of nowhere anyway.

The Texans just have traditionally played it close to the vest.

Trade who? Clowney? All reports are that he is staying in shape and studying his playbook. Who do you replace him With? What if you trade him anyway and JJ misses some games? This team isn’t deep enough yet to cut off your nose to spite your face.

Trade who? Clowney? All reports are that he is staying in shape and studying his playbook. Who do you replace him With? What if you trade him anyway and JJ misses some games? This team isn’t deep enough yet to cut off your nose to spite your face.

Mercilus isnt quite what Clowney is but he’s a capable fill in. And Then we’ve got the young kids Ejifor and Omenihu. Sure we’d lose something without Clowney, but it wouldn’t be as big of a drop off as u think.

Mercilus isnt quite what Clowney is but he’s a capable fill in. And Then we’ve got the young kids Ejifor and Omenihu. Sure we’d lose something without Clowney, but it wouldn’t be as big of a drop off as u think.
Ejifor tore his achilles. He is done

Final straw in "Texans aren't interested in fixing the O-line" story. We had several chances and now these poor sods can't get off their tails and trade for T. Williams, a sure thing top tier left tackle by all accounts.

Disgusting.

This is what happens when your owner is a cheap ass.

I remember back in 2015 The FO was supposedly incompetent and stupid back then too for not being “aggressive” and giving up “whatever it took” to bring in Ryan Mallet. Of course we know how that turned out. And then again folks on here said they were incompetent in the 2016 offseason for not trying to get a qb at all costs after the Hoyer playoff debacle in ...until the news broke about us landing Oz.......and then they were stupid again for not “aggressively” trying to get better on the o-line by going after Trent Brown...until he confirmed himself that the Texans were finalists in his decision.

The point is Just b/c ya’ll don’t hear the rumor mills churning and/or your HC/GM isn’t on every sports talk radio show in Houston running his mouth about chasing this top player or that top player (Daryl Morey), don’t mean shits not happening!

As illustrated above with the Texans and ...and has been demonstrated recently with Westbrook and Grienke, ALL Of our teams’ biggest moves usually come out of nowhere anyway.

The Texans just have traditionally played it close to the vest.

Big difference in Mallet/Os and Trent Williams.

U wouldn't have had an issue adding Trent Brown.

It was only in the last few days that it became sort of public knowledge that Washington would be open to a trade.

& this is exactly why you don't blow your wad on the first thing you see in FA. Had the Texans made Trent Brown the highest paid tackle, there's no way we would consider trading for Trent Brown, regardless who our GM is.

Nevermind the fact the Texans seem to be content with Kalil. But his contract is not a barrier to bringing in Williams. We can sign Williams & cut Kalil & be done with it.

& this is exactly why you don't blow your wad on the first thing you see in FA. Had the Texans made Trent Brown the highest paid tackle, there's no way we would consider trading for Trent Brown, regardless who our GM is.

Nevermind the fact the Texans seem to be content with Kalil. But his contract is not a barrier to bringing in Williams. We can sign Williams & cut Kalil & be done with it.
I agree. You cannot wait for what probably won't happen but you got to be careful in your selections which is contradictory to what some on this MB want. We do need to remember that a left tackle of Trent Williams skill set rarely comes on the market. Reminds me of The Perfect Storm. Glad that we have 40 million dollars in cap space if we need it. FYI I've added some information on Jalen Ramsey Jags CB in my college threat. You may be interested. My disappointment in not getting Trent Brown could turn into ecstasy if we're able to get Trent Williams.

No he's not in the same category that JD is in but you know what's interesting ? Mercilus if I'm not mistaken has actually produced a double-digit sack season which up to now has been an elusive goal for Clowney.

Big difference in Mallet/Os and Trent Williams.

U wouldn't have had an issue adding Trent Brown.

Not really. We know now in hindsight that both Mallet and Oz were trash. At the time? They could’ve been the answer we were all clamoring for. And as such there were many on this very forum who were willing to part with what the Pats started out asking for...which was a 2nd round pick...in hindsight, we now know that was ridiculous for Mallet...nevertheless.

Bill OBrien is gonna tell the city of Houston to be proud of Kalil and Seantrel like he told us to be proud of Hoyer and Mallet.
Well... to be fair... IF we would have remained proud in Mallet or Hoyer...... we wouldnt have been standing so close to the trainwreck that was Os and wouldnt have given up so much just to get rid of him.

Tweet from @Cody_Stoots: It's not everything, but it is something.

Tom Condon is the agent for both Trent Williams and #Texans OT Matt Kalil.

I can't imagine Condon, one of the most powerful agents in sports, wants to replace one of his own players with another player he reps.

So if Gaine got fired for failing to acquire top FA talent, maybe OB can get fired for not going out and getting TW?

I can't imagine Condon, one of the most powerful agents in sports, wants to replace one of his own players with another player he reps.
I imagine Condon wants to do whatever is the best financial decision for both. TW is much more likely to stay healthy and get an extension. Doing it early in camp would make it easier for Khalil to catch on somewhere else.

What if Washington being forced by TW into trade would increase Kalil GTD $ from $2.25 m? His base of 3.25 drops to $1.5 m if he goes on IR. Kalil plus our third 2020 and a 2nd in 2021? Kalil would probably have better chance to extend in Jacksonville than here. Both Condon's guys make out.

Edit: plus if Texans give TW large extension, Condon will get a chunk of that.

Last edited:
Edit: plus if Texans give TW large extension, Condon will get a chunk of that.

If any team gives Williams an extension Comdon will get a chunk of that.

He will lose if he places Williams with the Texans, we cut Kalil & no one picks him up.

If any team gives Williams an extension Comdon will get a chunk of that.

He will lose if he places Williams with the Texans, we cut Kalil & no one picks him up.
Yes but my post was trade Kalil to Washington where he at his age if healthy could extend past 2019. Donald Penn at 36 on one season deal? Kalil if healthy as he seems to be so far and 30 YOA could beat out Penn and be a better extension. Penn's contract is less than two million.

Ejiofor looked edge setting but omenhiu I am not sold on.... We should've drafted DeAndre Walker Georgia.... Omenhiu looks like a DT

I was referencing this quote that spoke to Ejiofor and Omenihu somehow replacing Clowneys role

I mentioned up post that the Texans could trade Clowney to the Redskins for Williams without losing Kalil in the process. I'd throw Davenport or Henderson into the deal.

If Kalil remains on a solid upswing during camp and the team secured Williams, I'd move Kalil to RT. Build in from there.

LT- Williams
LG- Howard
OC- Mancz
RG- Fulton
RT- Kalil

ST- Henderson or Davenport
OG/C- Rankins
RG/RT- Scharping
C/OG- Martin

That would be 9 OL and I doubt the Texans carry 10.

I see many saying the defense may collapse without Clowney but I haven't heard one of these detractors wonder how the offense would do if Watson gets that precious extra time in the pocket......or how this would affect the route tree(s) OB has drawn up in his playbook.

Personally, I think the Texans offense could just "flat-out" score more points than their Clowney-less defense could give up.

I mentioned up post that the Texans could trade Clowney to the Redskins for Williams without losing Kalil in the process. I'd throw Davenport or Henderson into the deal.

If Kalil remains on a solid upswing during camp and the team secured Williams, I'd move Kalil to RT. Build in from there.

LT- Williams
LG- Howard
OC- Mancz
RG- Fulton
RT- Kalil

ST- Henderson or Davenport
OG/C- Rankins
RG/RT- Scharping
C/OG- Martin

That would be 9 OL and I doubt the Texans carry 10.

I see many saying the defense may collapse without Clowney but I haven't heard one of these detractors wonder how the offense would do if Watson gets that precious extra time in the pocket......or how this would affect the route tree(s) OB has drawn up in his playbook.

Personally, I think the Texans offense could just "flat-out" score more points than their Clowney-less defense could give up.

Were you around in 2010?

edit: Or even last few games of last year?

Not sure why we would cut Kalil if we got Williams. Kalil can play RT
Perhaps but Kalil has not played right tackle since he was a freshman in college. Of Interest perhaps is in 2013 he played against his brother who was with the Panthers. Their sister Danielle sang the national anthem that game. If he and Henderson are both healthy, I think the latter would be the better at right tackle. I am not pushing for Kalil to be off the roster. He has a very team-friendly contract.

Edit.. forgot to say that same year Matt Kalil replaced Trent Williams who had been in a bar fight in the Pro Bowl game.

Last edited:
Back