Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Training Camp & Pre-Season...Game 1...Green Bay Packers!

JamTex

Hall Of Fame Texans Fan!
Training camp begins on July 25th 2019 at the Texans training facility next to NRG Stadium. The Texans will take 90+ players in with a few on the active/injured list. After 2 weeks of hard work and preparation for the season is the first preseason game. On Thursday, August 8th, 2019 at 7:00pm CST, your Houston Texans will take on the Green Bay Packers at Lambeau Field in Green Bay Wisconsin.

Clowney will likely not be in training camp until close to the season opener due to his hold out. DeAndre Hopkins, JJ Watt and a few others are starting training camp on the pup list so don't expect to see much of them in any preseason games. Training camp will be about getting everyone else ready to compete for their potential spot on this team. So let's get ready for some Texans football.

Yes it is. It's that time of year again. Time for our weekly game threads. This one, I know, is 2 weeks before the game instead of 1 week before, but it's just too hard to wait that one more week to get started with our season and Texans Football and plus I wanted it to be part of the training camp thread. LOL

This game won't be about the starters. It will be about looking at the drafted, undrafted and otherwise acquired players. The new guys on the team. We might get 1, maybe 2 series out of the starters but that'll be about it.

So what are you most interested in seeing come out of training camp and this game?

I'm looking at 3 things in particular.
1) The offensive line. How will they look when the pads are on and they have to deal with a tough Green Bay defensive front? 2 rookies, Scharping and Howard, will be on everyones radar seeing if they can take the starting jobs. Davenport and Rankin will be looked at with great interest as well to see if either or both of them can make a second year jump and show huge improvement. What we all want to see is if the offensive line can protect Watson.
2) The corner backs. Again, the Green Bay offense will be a good test to see if they can cover. Returning corners, free agents brought in and rookies all will get a look. We need to see huge improvement from this group almost as much as we do the offensive line.
3) The running backs. Returning to action will be D'Onte Foreman after having more then a year to recover from his torn Achilles tendon. Every indication from camp is that he's healthier then ever and ready to go. Let's hope so.
Then there's Lamar Miller. He has been dependable, but underwhelming as the feature back since he has been here. Should the O-line actually improve, let's hope it's in run blocking as well, as Miller needs some room to roam.

Those 3 areas are where most of my interest will be given. Let's see what you guys think.

YES IT IS!!!
IT'S THAT TIME AGAIN!!!
GO TEXANS!!!

Last edited:

Texan Asylum

Hall of Fame
On Thursday, August 8th, 2019 at 7:00pm CST, your Houston Texans will take on the Green Bay Packers at Lambeau Field in Green Bay Wisconsin.

Yes it is. It's that time of year again. Time for our weekly game threads. This one, I know, is 2 weeks before the game instead of 1 week before, but it's just too hard to wait that one more week to get started with our season and Texans Football. LOL

This game won't be about the starters. It will be about looking at the drafted, undrafted and otherwise acquired players. The new guys on the team. We might get 1, maybe 2 series out of the starters but that'll be about it.

So what are you most interested in seeing come out of this game?

I'm looking at 3 things in particular.
1) The offensive line. How will they look when the pads are on and they have to deal with a tough Green Bay defensive front? 2 rookies, Scharping and Howard, will be on everyones radar seeing if they can take the starting jobs. Davenport and Rankin will be looked at with great interest as well to see if either or both of them can make a second year jump and show huge improvement. What we all want to see is if the offensive line can protect Watson.
2) The corner backs. Again, the Green Bay offense will be a good test to see if they can cover. Returning corners, free agents brought in and rookies all will get a look. We need to see huge improvement from this group almost as much as we do the offensive line.
3) The running backs. Returning to action will be D'Onte Foreman after having more then a year to recover from his torn Achilles tendon. Every indication from camp is that he's healthier then ever and ready to go. Let's hope so.
Then there's Lamar Miller. He has been dependable, but underwhelming as the feature back since he has been here. Should the O-line actually improve, let's hope it's in run blocking as well, as Miller needs some room to roam.

Those 3 areas are where most of my interest will be given. Let's see what you guys think.

YES IT IS!!!
IT'S THAT TIME AGAIN!!!
GO TEXANS!!!
Exited to see the start of the season as well...good post.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Wish we had a QB to groom behind Watson. I don't expect much from McCarron.
To be fair very few teams with a franchise QB have someone they are grooming. Where would the Pats be if Brady goes down, KC with Mahomes, Packers with Rogers, Saints with Brees. Truth be told I think backup QB is where we are actually in a better place than most teams. Least our guy has some good experience and we have a good QB coach. I've said it before but the backup QB doesn't have to captain the ship he just has to keep it afloat.

Problem the Texans have is we have gotten into the mind set of you need at least two QBs that can be starters. Its understandable with how often pre-Watson we changed QBs and how many hits Watson has taken but its not how most teams do business once they have their guy at QB.

usernameJJ

Waterboy
I keep forgetting that we even have McCarron :) Hey, hopefully we get to see him a lot in preseason and can use him as Trade Bait in the future

Texan Asylum

Hall of Fame
I don't think quarterback is a real position of need at this point in time. McCarron will be a serviceable backup though. Hopefully, he won't be needed.
The idea is to keep the #1 guy on the field without missing any time.
To be fair very few teams with a franchise QB have someone they are grooming. Where would the Pats be if Brady goes down, KC with Mahomes, Packers with Rogers, Saints with Brees. Truth be told I think backup QB is where we are actually in a better place than most teams. Least our guy has some good experience and we have a good QB coach. I've said it before but the backup QB doesn't have to captain the ship he just has to keep it afloat.

Problem the Texans have is we have gotten into the mind set of you need at least two QBs that can be starters. Its understandable with how often pre-Watson we changed QBs and how many hits Watson has taken but its not how most teams do business once they have their guy at QB.
True...a good OL should render any B/U QB a more than suitable stand-in when the need arises.

I don't think quarterback is a real position of need at this point in time. McCarron will be a serviceable backup though. Hopefully, he won't be needed.
The idea is to keep the #1 guy on the field without missing any time.
That's an ideal scenario but not always the case. We should have a back up that can play/start in the NFL. McCarron isn't really that guy. If Watson goes down even for 1 game we need someone who can win us that one game.

You can also groom someone, display him in the preseason and then trade him a year or 2 down the road. Build draft capital.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
That's an ideal scenario but not always the case. We should have a back up that can play/start in the NFL. McCarron isn't really that guy. If Watson goes down even for 1 game we need someone who can win us that one game.

You can also groom someone, display him in the preseason and then trade him a year or 2 down the road. Build draft capital.
How is McCarron not that guy? The only time he has started he played well.

Texan Asylum

Hall of Fame
I would like to see the starters on OL play at least the 1st half in game 1 and the rookies play at least the 1st half of game 2 so we can see how they look against another teams starters and 2nd string. That should provide a better eyeball test than training camp.
Agreed...they truly need time to really gel before season starts...imo.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
I would like to see the starters on OL play at least the 1st half in game 1 and the rookies play at least the 1st half of game 2 so we can see how they look against another teams starters and 2nd string. That should provide a better eyeball test than training camp.
Agreed...they truly need time to really gel before season starts...imo.
Highly unlikely with Mr. Flexibility as HC.

Max

Veteran
Figure out who's starting on the OL and where in the pre-season please. And see if the new db's can play where you thought or if we need to make some moves there. Then whatever it takes to not have a slow start. No idea what that means for starters playing time but the guy who's there with the team every day should have a sense of where we're at and what we need to do to be ready.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Everything starts up front so your right to identify OL as the big one, but I'm concerned also with DL. So much revolves around Watt and with Clowney holding out it's worrying the lack of depth here. In a draft deep DL crop (2019) Texans may rue the fact only asset invested was in the 5th round. So besides OL, development of Davenport/Rankin and ability of rookies Howard/Scharping assimilation to next level, its Charles Omenihu who is critical to develop on a fast track especially if Clowney issue remains unresolved. Warring pick aside, think going Trysten Hill in 2nd over Scharping would have been a more balanced and effective approach. We shall see, but wagering Texans get very little pressure on whoever the GB QB is.

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
Considering the mentality of the coaching staff tells me that they'll try to save Foreman for the season and we'll see mostly wannabes at RB.

Teapot is such a great judge of QB talent that McCarron likely won't even be a good backup waterboy in his offense.

JamTex

Hall Of Fame Texans Fan!
On August 5th and 6th, the Texans will be in Green Bay to hold joint practices with the Packers. While they are there, the Texans will participate with the Packers in their annual bicycle ride for kids. These should be exceptional joint practices and help get the Texans ready for opening day. Looking forward to a great preseason opener for our Texans.

Last edited:

JamTex

Hall Of Fame Texans Fan!
Open practices that fans will be able to attend during training camp this year will be on Thursday August 1st, Saturday August 3rd, Saturday August 10th and Thursday August 15th. The practices are scheduled to start at 9:10 am so get there early. They are scheduled to end at 11:45 am.

Last edited:

JamTex

Hall Of Fame Texans Fan!
JJ Watt was spotted walking over the bridge into the practice facility IN UNIFORM! In what capacity will he practice today? Isn't he on the pup list to start training camp? Obviously he's ok.
Guess we'll find out later during interviews.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
My eyes during camp will be on: Fuller, D'Onta, Keke, Rookie offensive linemen, Colvin, Gipson, Mercy, the 10 TEs on the roster,

Hoping to see some actual creativity from the offense, using talent level to dictate play design and not vice versa. Hoping to see the defensive backfield mesh fast, if not crossing fingers that pressure up front will offset any deficiency.

And as always .. IN DESHAUN I TRUST!

JamTex

Hall Of Fame Texans Fan!
I was just pointing out a slight error, so what's the problem? Why you making a big deal of it?
Just ready to get the season under way. Even though it's probably going to be a disappointing season considering the teams the Texans have to face this year. It's really hard to see more then 7 wins unless somehow this team is better then we all expect.

Porky

Hall of Fame
It's becoming increasingly difficult for me to get all rah rah about training camp opening under the BOB regime. Different dogs - same piles of crap, and the stench just gets worse and worse.

Until house is cleaned and BOB is back to coaching in College somewhere, it's just like a little mouse in a cage on his wheel. Going as fast as he can, but going absolutely nowhere.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
It's becoming increasingly difficult for me to get all rah rah about training camp opening under the BOB regime. Different dogs - same piles of crap, and the stench just gets worse and worse.

Until house is cleaned and BOB is back to coaching in College somewhere, it's just like a little mouse in a cage on his wheel. Going as fast as he can, but going absolutely nowhere.
There is a "Fire Bill OBrien NOW" thread that needs your enthusiasm!

zshawn10

All Pro
Couple of quick thoughts. The #Texans secondary is much more athletic this season especially at the CB group. First time we have seen the complete group on the field.

— patrick (@PatDStat) July 25, 2019

Bill O’Brien: "I’ve always been involved in personnel decisions since I’ve been here. No more no less (since Brian Gaine was fired)." #Texans

— Aaron Reiss (@aaronjreiss) July 25, 2019

Bill O'Brien loves versatile linemen. During his press conference today, the #Texans coach said second-round pick Max Scharping has practiced at center. He's also played guard and tackle.

— Aaron Reiss (@aaronjreiss) July 25, 2019

@deshaunwatson on JJWatt: "He's annoying..He tipped 2 or 3 balls of mine today. I learned something about myself using my eyes, not staring down the defenders. That was one tip I took from today that he told me about." Says JJ will stand in the area he's looking & jump at the ball pic.twitter.com/JYNTDnZvxV

— Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) July 25, 2019