Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Training Camp & Pre-Season...Game 1...Green Bay Packers!

Texans line is in flux but among the first string participants at first day of camp was left tackle Matt Kalil, left guard Tytus Howard, center Greg Mancz with Nick Martin sidelined for first day, Zach Fulton at right guard and Seantrel Henderson at right tackle

— Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL) July 25, 2019

Ummm, no Sharping?

Bill O’Brien: "I’ve always been involved in personnel decisions since I’ve been here. No more no less (since Brian Gaine was fired)." #Texans

— Aaron Reiss (@aaronjreiss) July 25, 2019
I dunno is O'Bien sincerely owning his role in past and present personnel decisions or perhaps just not aware of his own candor in this comment ?

My observations from #Texans camp today. Some really solid stuff in here. Bradley Roby (BradRoby_1</a>) and Lonnie Johnson (<a href="https://twitter.com/Lonnie30johnson?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">Lonnie30johnson) are two of the notes. Check that out among much more on @sportsmaphou: https://t.co/gJvu5FFfIE

— Cody Stoots (@Cody_Stoots) July 25, 2019

The first round pick
True to form with most of the Texans offensive linemen Tytus Howard gets work at plenty of positions. He is getting a lot of reps and it will be fun to watch him work when the pads come on. Howard handled Brennan Scarlett on one rep and kept hand fighting with the linebacker for a few moments after the drill was over. He also held his own against Whitney Mercilus in one rep as well.

The young lineman showed good feet and a solid base in some of the drills. Saturday, when the pads are on for the first time, will tell a lot more.

The former first round pick
Matt Kalil was out working with the Texans. The former Vikings and Panthers left tackle got plenty of work for the Texans which was nice since he was recovering from injury earlier in the year. Ideally a veteran presence like him would help should there be a first or second year player next to him at left guard. The experience may not matter if Kalil can't play. He wasn't tested much Thursday.

Is your refrigerator running routes?
I say this with the utmost respect: Jordan Thomas is the size of a refrigerator and he shouldn't move as well as he does. He showed some huge progress as a rookie last year and developed a solid relationship with Deshaun Watson. That has only gotten stronger. Watson and Thomas are always on the same page and I am not sure how teams are going to guard Thomas but I know they aren't going to have an easy time if this continues.

Will Fuller is back
Some of the WR work from #Texans camp today. pic.twitter.com/BKf6RsuhDZ

— Cody Stoots (@Cody_Stoots) July 25, 2019
One of the best surprises of training camp is the fact Will Fuller is practicing from day one of the workouts. He looked crisp and on the same page with the quarterbacks. There was a toe-tap back of the end zone catch he easily hauled in. He also snatched a ball out of the air with ease that was a rocket. His hands are worlds better than his last year at Notre Dame and first year in the NFL.

Kinda coach Andre Johnson
Andre Johnson's official title is special adviser to the head coach. Today, and most days, he was working with the wideouts. He coaches like you would expect Andre Johnson to coach. He is quiet and deliberate. Everyone is listening and watching when he shows something. Today he was delivering advice on footwork in a certain drill. Later he pulled second-year wideout Vyncint Smith aside to coach him up.

Lonnie Johnson learning
Lonnie Johnson gets his back. #Texans pic.twitter.com/GrbR6b9tN2

— patrick (@PatDStat) July 25, 2019
There were some teachable moments for Lonnie Johnson the team's second round pick this year. He was coached up on how much to use his hands and when to use them. He's a physical corner and when he lines up with any of the wideouts it is apparent what the Texans liked to see. He lost a rep earlier in a drill only to recover later and beat that same wideout to the ball for an interception. There's a ways to go but there is something there.

Bradley Roby
The free agent corner was a terror in drills. He is freaky athletic and played wideouts multiple ways to his success. Very impressive day for a guy the team is counting on.

Play of the day
Deshaun Watson is a wizard. The drills obviously aren't full contact and they don't even have pads on but there is still a pass rush. J.J. Watt looked to have blanketed Watson on one drill. It was moments away from being blown dead. Then the wizarding started. Watson, off balance, slipped one past Watt's massive mitts into the corner of the end zone for a touchdown. It was incredible.

Couple of quick thoughts. The #Texans secondary is much more athletic this season especially at the CB group. First time we have seen the complete group on the field.

— patrick (@PatDStat) July 25, 2019

Bill O’Brien: "I’ve always been involved in personnel decisions since I’ve been here. No more no less (since Brian Gaine was fired)." #Texans

Bill O'Brien loves versatile linemen. During his press conference today, the #Texans coach said second-round pick Max Scharping has practiced at center. He's also played guard and tackle.

@deshaunwatson on JJWatt: "He's annoying..He tipped 2 or 3 balls of mine today. I learned something about myself using my eyes, not staring down the defenders. That was one tip I took from today that he told me about." Says JJ will stand in the area he's looking & jump at the ball pic.twitter.com/JYNTDnZvxV

— Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) July 25, 2019
I thought Watt was on PUP.

Just watched an interview with Watt. He said he didn't even know he was on PUP and that he always intended to practice on day 1.

Last edited:
Hopefully this statement will put this to rest around these parts.

If Glazer didn't say it, it ain't true.

Who the heck is Bill O'Brien anyway? I doubt he has the connections Glazer has?

just my grumpy old ass, or am I seeing something that doesnt seem right when he takes the long stride into the out cut? I know its just the first day, but perfection starts on the first day!
If Will Fuller spends any significant time injured and unable to contribute than he should retire. I sure hope it does not come to that.

Who the heck is Bill O'Brien anyway? I doubt he has the connections Glazer has?
Notwithstanding I doubt Bill O'Brien would intend certain information to make it to the press. I trust that Bill has spoken of his intentions to some people without expecting it to make the news. Glazer is a solid source who has been known to share trustworthy information. If a head coach will not share with the press I know it is human nature for the coach to leak information to somebody close to him and that is where unintended information makes the rounds.

Everything Bill OBryann says is non-committal gobbledygook. All he has to say is he's involved "less" and blame Gaine when the personnel poop hits the fan or he can always use that catchall gem "It's not my job".

I thought Watt was on PUP.

Just watched an interview with Watt. He said he didn't even know he was on PUP and that he always intended to practice on day 1.
They said on TV last night he has come off the PUP and will participate in TC.

Bradley Roby frequently cites how the #Texans struggled in the secondary last year. Said he wants to help correct that and play on the top defense in football.

— Cody Stoots (@Cody_Stoots) July 26, 2019

New #Texans CB Bradley Roby said Demaryius Thomas encourages him to consider Houston.

— Aaron Reiss (@aaronjreiss) July 26, 2019

Quick and thoughts from today. More on the site later too.

Safety AJ Moore had a strong day. Making plays and had a diving INT on a deep ball. #Texans

— patrick (@PatDStat) July 26, 2019

Bradley Roby had an INT of Deshaun Watson due to a wrong route being run. Would have been a pick 6.

TE Jordan Thomas continues to grow into his role in the offense. He is a catching machine and has shown he creates issues especially in the red zone.

RB Josh Ferguson is a shifty player out of the backfield. One to watch. If he can continue to catch the ball at a high level and pass pro. Inside track to spot behind Miller and Foreman.

The growth of Deshaun Watson is evident. His knowledge of the offense is much more clear and it shows with how calm he is in the pocket. He has been delivering the football with confidence.

The General @McClain_on_NFL predicts #Texans TE Kahale Warring will be the starting tight end the second half of the season and says the coaching staff has high hopes for him. He's on ITL for his weekly visit now. #TheQuestBeginshttps://t.co/82ueHH9YiP

— SportsRadio 610 (@SportsRadio610) July 30, 2019
That’s a pretty bold prediction. Are all the other TEs looking terrible or something? I’m just saying because reports say that Warring hasn’t even seen the practice field yet, now he’s TE1 bound? Lol

Preseason is fool's gold. Remember when Savage was ahead of Watson in the preseason games? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

:kitten:

Still, I'm in a football drought that I'll take any games at this point. lol

Preseason is fool's gold. Remember when Savage was ahead of Watson in the preseason games? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

I'm just thinking we'll get a better idea of their plan by seeing who plays the most snaps & where on the OL.

The starting lineup is not set in stone right now, neither are the backups.

This is just camp, where they're figuring it all out.

Right? I also remember this past season’s PS games where the O-line didn’t give up a sack through like 3 games, or something like that. But then the first regular season game happened and Watson was beat like a red headed step child!

Last edited:
Right? I also remember this past season’s PS games where the O-line didn’t give up a sack through like 3 games, or something like that. But then the first regular season game happened and Watson was beat like a red headed step child!

Yeah. I hope Watson gets better calling out the protection. I doubt we'll see much evidence of that as preseason is pretty vanilla.

But at least we'll be able to complain properly if Howard isn't getting enough snaps at LT, or if Rankin looks like he's on his way out, or if Scharping can play.

The General @McClain_on_NFL predicts #Texans TE Kahale Warring will be the starting tight end the second half of the season and says the coaching staff has high hopes for him. He's on ITL for his weekly visit now. #TheQuestBeginshttps://t.co/82ueHH9YiP

— SportsRadio 610 (@SportsRadio610) July 30, 2019
It was rumored that BOB was mad at Warring for missing practice. And you know BOB, if he doesn't like you he isn't going to play you even if you're the best he has.

With all Coutee’s hamstring issues last season, I don’t understand rushing guys back so early in camp. I understand you want the them to practice but let them get healthy first so this doesn’t become a season long issue. You don’t mess with hamstrings

Did he re-injure it in OTA's?

John McClain’s takeaways from Day 7 of Texans camp

Deshaun Watson entertains fans
Quarterback Deshaun Watson put on a show at the first practice with fans. Players were in full pads, and Watson completed passes all over the field, bringing one cheer after another from fans who lined up hours before practice to get the primo seats. On one play, Watson rolled out to his right. At the last instant, he threw into the end zone, a low pass where only DeAndre Hopkins could catch it. Hopkins went down, caught the ball sliding in the end zone, and the fans erupted in a thunderous ovation. Watson drew more applause from the fans when he completed a long pass down the left sideline to tight end Jordan Akins and a touchdown pass over the middle to Keke Coutee. "He’s light years ahead of where he was when he got here," coach Bill O’Brien said about his quarterback. "Situational practice (and) two-minute (drill), he’s really doing a lot of things on his own — getting us into the right play, the right formation, clocking it when we’re supposed to clock it. He doesn’t have to be told to do certain things. There’s many others (examples). "He’s been out there every day. He goes against a good defense every day, and he gets better."
Watson learning from new position coach
The Texans hired Carl Smith from Seattle because he’s been a terrific quarterback coach who’s working in his 31st season. Smith, 71, spends a lot of time just talking to Watson and imparting his wisdom. They passed the get-to-know you stage during the offseason program. After practice Thursday, Smith had Watson on another field working on his footwork. "Oh man, he’s a guy with a lot of experience," said Watson, 23. "He’s been coaching three or four decades before I was born. He has so much knowledge. Being able to have him focus on my fundamentals and technique and how to play the game – it’s a great lesson for the quarterbacks…" Smith played an instrumental role in Russell Wilson’s development at Seattle. He hopes to have a similar impact on Watson. Sometimes during practice, they stand by themselves. Smith talks to Watson about what he just saw the quarterback do in a drill and what he wants him to do when he’s back under center or in the shotgun. "We’re all trying to learn something new," Watson said. "He always has little nuggets he throws in. I’m glad to have him on my team. I talked to Russell Wilson about him, and he loves him. (Wilson) said he’ll be a great, so it’s awesome."

DeAndre Hopkins makes circus catches
DeAndre Hopkins always likes to entertain the fans. He didn’t disappoint Thursday. He made a one-handed catch on the sideline, a sliding touchdown catch in the end zone and a difficult catch over the middle with defenders all over him. "I get jacked up for practice in general because I love to compete," Hopkins said. "When the fans are out here, it gets me extra jacked up. Our fans are amazing." If Hopkins gets excited when Texans’ fans attend practice, wait until he gets to Green Bay and goes against the Packers in practice Monday and Tuesday before thousands of fans.

Undrafted backs make positive impression
A lot of eyebrows were raised when the Texans didn’t draft a running back. The only back who’s proven is starter Lamar Miller entering the last year of his contract. D’Onta Foreman is playing in his third season and should earn the backup role, but he’s got to show the coaches he can do it on the field. Two undrafted rookies – Damarea Crockett (5-11, 225) and Karan Higdon Jr. (5-10, 202) – continue to impress their coaches and teammates in practice. They run low, have good balance and break tackles. Crockett and Higdon have improved since the offseason program. They should get a lot of playing time in preseason. The coaches are eager to see them in the joint practices Monday at Green Bay. During Thursday’s practice, Crockett made another exceptional run in which he burst through the line of scrimmage, evaded three defenders and scored a touchdown. When asked about Crockett, Bill O’Brien said, "He runs hard. He’s a great kid. He works hard on special teams. He’s quiet, and he’s got a good attitude. I’ve seen some good things. It’ll be interesting to see how he and Higdon play in the preseason games." Crockett and Higdon are in the same situation as receivers Vyncint Smith and Jester Weah were last year. Smith and Weah were signed as undrafted free agents. Smith made the roster, and Weah was signed to the practice squad. Green Bay and the last three preseason games will tell if Crockett and Higdon have a chance to make the team or the practice squad.

Don’t count out Taiwan Jones
The coaches might end up keeping a running back who’s the oldest on the team. Taiwan Jones, who turned 31 last week, is playing in his ninth season. He’s lasted this long because he excels on special teams. Every day, Bill O’Brien talks about how important special teams are for players in reserve roles. Jones spent his first six seasons with Oakland and the last two with Buffalo. He’s trying to make the team as a third-down back who can contribute on special teams. "He’s done that a lot in the past," O’Brien said about Jones playing special teams. "He’s played gunner. He’s been the guy that blocks the gunners. He’s covered kicks and returned kicks. He’s done a little bit of everything. You have to go out there and do it as a Houston Texan, but he’s been a good addition so far."

Quick thoughts on today. More on the site later.

One of the more disappointing days for the offense since the start of camp. Easily their worst day of camp. Usually they are able to move the ball consistently but not the case today. #Texans

— patrick (@PatDStat) August 1, 2019

Matt Kalil has had a better camp than I expected. Holding up well and a much better run blocker than I anticipated. Has to keep trending up heading to Green Bay.

It has been to up and down for Seantrel Henderson. Not enough consistency. Physical mistakes are one thing but mental are another. Going to have to clean it up in a hurry.

DE Charles Omenihu continues to have flashes on the field. Would have had a sack today. He has put together a strong camp.

It was rumored that BOB was mad at Warring for missing practice. And you know BOB, if he doesn't like you he isn't going to play you even if you're the best he has.

What's with O'Brien getting mad at guys for being injured? Does he think they can heal themselves faster?

What's with O'Brien getting mad at guys for being injured? Does he think they can heal themselves faster?

FFS man, you are trying too hard to hate the man. Seegara used those words, not OB or any reporter unless he has a link.

Coaches get frustrated when a player misses TC time - especially a rookie - because of non-football related injuries. Name me one that wouldn't. It makes him "mad" at the situation, not the player.

https://footballmaven.io/texans/new...ng-moves-observations-USJ93zncdUKYZadpZUic1g/

Here are some observations from the Texans workday on Thursday.

Offense Struggles for the First Time of Camp
The Texans offense, to this point, has been moving the ball at ease and looking like a well-oiled machine. Led by Deshaun Watson, the offensive firepower the offense boasts when healthy is an impressive group. With DeAndre Hopkins, Will Fuller, Keke Coutee, Lamar Miller, Jordan Thomas, and Jordan Akins, the skill group continues to grow with talent. Today, it was anything but that for the offense which was missing more, especially in the passing game.

During the team session of practice, Watson threw two well-placed passes to both Akins and Fuller, which ended up dropped. Then Watson missed Coutee on a quick look that appeared to be a miscommunication where Coutee was not even looking for the football.

Add in some pass protection issues from the right side of the offensive line that gave up sacks to J.J. Watt and Charles Omehinu. It was just not a crisp or minimal mistake day for the offense.

With the disappointing day, it will be something that will be worked on by the coaching staff to correct heading into Saturday's practice.

Charles Omenihu Continues to Flash
It is hard for rookies to consistently make waves at training camp mainly due to the expectations first-year players deal with day-to-day. Rookie defensive end Charles Omenihu is a bright spot of the draft class, and he continues to stack positive days on the field.

Omenihu, since pads were put on, has made plays in the backfield, knocked down passes, worked in tandem during pass rushes and even produced would be quarterback sacks. More impressive is that Omenihu is showing he can do the dirty work in the trenches

With the Texans looking for more pass rush on the interior of the defense, Omenihu is putting together strong film that the coaching staff can not ignore.

Seantrel Henderson's Ups and Downs
The Texans have veteran right tackle Seantrel Henderson inserted as the potential starter heading into the season. Henderson has displayed struggles on the field both mentally and physically, which should cause some slight concern.

Today saw Henderson get beat by J.J. Watt off the edge that would have resulted in a sack of Watson. Then the very next play saw him and Zach Fulton miscommunicate and whiff on Omenihu who came on a twist that would have also resulted in a sack.

Add in previous days of work, Henderson has had sloppy work over the past three practices.

Tytus Howard and Max Scharping Better Than Expected?
Today marked the first missed practice for Tytus Howard due to an undisclosed leg issue, but there appears to be little reason for concern. As for Scharping, the young offensive lineman continues to hold up when asked to play either guard position. With Howard out, the Texans looked at Scharping on the left side of the offensive line.

The long-term plan remains to have Howard and Scharping develop into their bookend offensive tackles, but there early work in training camp should not be overlooked.

Howard and Scharping have held up against NFL level talent when tested. The most significant factor that should not be ignored is how much athleticism they have brought to the position group. They have cut down on pressure leaking through the interior that would collapse the pocket from the middle.

The two will see early time in their NFL careers as offensive guards to cut their teeth at the NFL level. The additions of Howard and Scharping have been positives for the now and future of the offensive line.

Quick Hitters

• S A.J. Moore notched his second interception during training camp. He had a diving interception for Deshaun Watson who was targeting Keke Coutee. Moore benefited from blanket coverage on Coutee from Aaron Colvin which forced the poor throw

• Rookie S Austin Exford also had an interception of QB A.J. McCarron. McCarron threw an errant pass intended for WR Tyron Johnson too high which was picked by the streak Exford who was lurking in the middle of the field.

• The work that OL Zach Fulton has done to this point in training camp should not be overlooked. With C Nick Martin still out and OL Tytus Howard sitting out of practice today, Fulton continues to bounce around and play all three interior spots on the offensive line. Asked to snap and play both guard positions, Fulton is expanding his role. He has put together some solid practices in the past few days.

• S Jahleel Addae is a mixed bag for the Texans to this point. He shows he can play in the box, tackle and today produce a would-be sack on a blitz. Where Addae struggles is in coverage where he doesn't have the quickness to make up space.

• RB Damerea Crockett had a nice touchdown run working in tandem with QB Joe Webb III in the read-option look. Webb had the right read gave it to Crockett, and he was off to the races for a run untouched to the endzone.

• RB Karan Higdon Jr. continues to get traction after a slow start at camp. He caught a pass from QB A.J. McCarron near the goal line bounced off a defender and a second effort dive into the endzone was a good look from the rookie.

• DL Angelo Blackson continues to show his versatility to hold up in pass rush and run defense. Blackson would have had a sack during team session after beating his man one-on-one.

• TE Darren Fells has worked hard to correct his hands after a rough day of drops last weekend during practice. Since that point, Fells can be seen working on his hands with drills with tight end coach Will Lawing. It is paying off on the field and becoming a target Watson can rely on.

Who has been the best player at their position that OB has benched because he was mad at them?
Mad is too strong of a word.

I do think that Colvin was in the dog house beacause of something more than an injury.

Once he came back from the injury in the first Colts game, he did some playing time, and the snap count numbers were up there for a few games.

And then it fell off, and then he was relegated to the special team.
It's stupid to put a guy on the ST when he's injured.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247spo...vin-absent-most-of-2018-season-127493384/Amp/

That, coupled with the fact that Colvin recently said that he was selfish last year seems to indicate that he thought he should have been on the field, and probably got on OB's bad side; thus the dog house.

I'm going to attempt predictions for pre-season games this year. Texians 20, Meatpackers 14.

I woulda thought seeing an actual conversation between OB and the GM would have put any debate about his involvement in personnel to rest.

Basically, what I'm saying is; Good luck with that.

I think UDFA Crocket will will windup being our RB 3. He seems to be doing real well so far in camp. I expect to see a fair amount of him in GB. Might show more what he has got.

Five from Texans camp, right here, right now …

— Albert Breer (@AlbertBreer) August 1, 2019

1) The OL is obviously the big question. And the Texans are really happy with what they’ve gotten from LT Matt Kalil thus far. Health is still a question. But his play has allowed the team to keep rookies Tytus Howard and Max Sharping working at guard.

2) Even with Tyrann Mathieu gone, safety looks to remain a strength. Free agent additions Tashaun Gipson and Jahleel Addae have fit in well, and should give DC Romeo Crennel some flexibility.

3) The Texans expect to be better at receiver around DeAndre Hopkins. Keke Coutee is the kind of slot that Bill O’Brien’s been looking for, and Will Fuller has looked good (although he conceded to me post-practice that he’s still working his way back from the ACL).

4) The team’s also deeper and better at tight end than it has been, after spending a bunch of draft capital there. Jordan Thomas is nicked up now, but should have a significant role. And I’d bet the staff finds a way to get very talented, very raw rookie Kahale Warring involved.

5) The other trouble spot, outside of the offensive line, is at corner. My sense is the Texans wouldn’t mind making a move there. The problem is there are more teams out there that need corners than there are teams willing to consider dealing good ones.

Foreman looks awful here in the pass pro drill:

https://twitter.com/PatDStat/status/1155489495501946880

Foreman whiffed horrendously in a pass pro drill, some are starting to get concerned that his spot on the team is tenuous. RB position is weak yet again.

Fuller looks good, but admits he’s not all the way back yet. Coutee is a terror. Jordan Thomas has ridiculous hands for a guy his size. The passing game should be as potent as we’ve ever seen.

The offensive line has question marks, but from all reports Kalil is showing well at LT and Howard is impressing a lot of people at LG. Rankin not having a good camp so far, nor is Henderson. Martin is still hurt. We might at least have 3 spots settled, maybe 4 if Martin comes back healthy, which would be an improvement over last year.

I personally haven’t heard much regarding the defense other than Lonnie Johnson has flashed but remains inconsistent, but coachable which is a plus. Everyone seems to agree Reader looks primed for a big season. I have heard Roby looked good but I haven’t heard enough to say if he’s stayed consistent. Maybe someone else can chime in regarding that. Same with Colvin, I’ve read/heard about him making some good plays and he’s mentioned he’s in a better mindset this year than he was last year. He’s said he was frustrated by injury, his play, and being benched that affected him in an ugly way and he’s not proud of how he carried himself.

QBs: Watson looks even better than last season. McCarron is a quality backup.

WRs: Fuller and Coutee are both healthy and looking great. Nuk is Nuk. Vyncint Smith has been pretty solid, but is being pushed by Tyron Johnson. Carter hasn’t seen the field to my knowledge, and nobody else has really stood out among the WRs.

TEs: Jordan Thomas was looking great, but is now nursing a hamstring. Akins has stepped up and been outstanding as the #1 TE. Warring missed the first few practices, and hasn’t looked fully back yet.

RBs: Miller is the clear #1. Foreman has been up and down and still can’t pass protect. Crockett seems to be making a strong push to make the roster.

OL: Kalil has been the LT with the first group and has looked pretty good at it so far. Howard has been playing LG with the first group and LT with the second, and, while looking like a rookie from time to time, has had a strong showing so far. He missed a day for precautionary reasons after getting rolled up on, but should be back tomorrow. Martin still hasn’t made an appearance yet, with Mancz taking his place with the first group and Fulton playing C in the second. Both have been having a lot of trouble with low snaps all camp. Fulton has also played RG with the first group except when he moved to LG the day Howard was out. Henderson has been up and down at RT. Davenport has been getting reps mostly at RT with the second team, though he has gotten some at LT as well. Rankin has been unimpressive so far unfortunately, and little has been said of Scharping that I’ve heard aside from him looking big and strong.

DL: Not much news on the defensive line, they are what they’ve been. Charles Omenihu has stood out in a positive way though.

Edge: Not much being said here either. Scarlett seems to be doing pretty well, and I’ve heard a few whispers about Jamal Davis, an undrafted rookie. He’s quite the athletic freak, so he may be someone to watch in the preseason.

ILB: Not much new here. McKinney, Cunningham, and Cole all look good like they have. Kalabayi has shown improvement, but still factors in mostly on STs.

CB: Up and down at best. Lonnie Johnson is very physical, but still struggles with coverage. He does seem to take well to the coaching though, so there’s hope for improvement. Colvin has been better, and JJo is still putting up a great fight against father time. Haven’t heard much about Roby, but he seems to be about what was expected, fast and athletic, but still a bit of a question mark.

S: This is a solid group. Reid missed time early but has been excellent since he got on the field. AJ Moore has been making a lot of noise. Tashaun Gipson and Addae have been as advertised.

Cullen Gillaspia has been a big ball of energy. He’s been hitting hard and showing much better hands than expected. He could turn out to be a real STs ace and swiss-army knife FB too if he keeps it up.

https://www.battleredblog.com/battl...0750872/houston-texans-news-august-2-2019-nfl

Training camp begins on July 25th 2019 at the Texans training facility next to NRG Stadium. The Texans will take 90+ players in with a few on the active/injured list. After 2 weeks of hard work and preparation for the season is the first preseason game. On Thursday, August 8th, 2019 at 7:00pm CST, your Houston Texans will take on the Green Bay Packers at Lambeau Field in Green Bay Wisconsin.

Clowney will likely not be in training camp until close to the season opener due to his hold out. DeAndre Hopkins, JJ Watt and a few others are starting training camp on the pup list so don't expect to see much of them in any preseason games. Training camp will be about getting everyone else ready to compete for their potential spot on this team. So let's get ready for some Texans football.

Yes it is. It's that time of year again. Time for our weekly game threads. This one, I know, is 2 weeks before the game instead of 1 week before, but it's just too hard to wait that one more week to get started with our season and Texans Football and plus I wanted it to be part of the training camp thread. LOL

This game won't be about the starters. It will be about looking at the drafted, undrafted and otherwise acquired players. The new guys on the team. We might get 1, maybe 2 series out of the starters but that'll be about it.

So what are you most interested in seeing come out of training camp and this game?

I'm looking at 3 things in particular.
1) The offensive line. How will they look when the pads are on and they have to deal with a tough Green Bay defensive front? 2 rookies, Scharping and Howard, will be on everyones radar seeing if they can take the starting jobs. Davenport and Rankin will be looked at with great interest as well to see if either or both of them can make a second year jump and show huge improvement. What we all want to see is if the offensive line can protect Watson.
2) The corner backs. Again, the Green Bay offense will be a good test to see if they can cover. Returning corners, free agents brought in and rookies all will get a look. We need to see huge improvement from this group almost as much as we do the offensive line.
3) The running backs. Returning to action will be D'Onte Foreman after having more then a year to recover from his torn Achilles tendon. Every indication from camp is that he's healthier then ever and ready to go. Let's hope so.
Then there's Lamar Miller. He has been dependable, but underwhelming as the feature back since he has been here. Should the O-line actually improve, let's hope it's in run blocking as well, as Miller needs some room to roam.

Those 3 areas are where most of my interest will be given. Let's see what you guys think.

YES IT IS!!!
IT'S THAT TIME AGAIN!!!
GO TEXANS!!!

Why wud you make a game thread over 2 weeks b4 the actual game for a pre-season game I mean r u srs with this???

Training camp begins on July 25th 2019 at the Texans training facility next to NRG Stadium. The Texans will take 90+ players in with a few on the active/injured list. After 2 weeks of hard work and preparation for the season is the first preseason game. On Thursday, August 8th, 2019 at 7:00pm CST, your Houston Texans will take on the Green Bay Packers at Lambeau Field in Green Bay Wisconsin.

Clowney will likely not be in training camp until close to the season opener due to his hold out. DeAndre Hopkins, JJ Watt and a few others are starting training camp on the pup list so don't expect to see much of them in any preseason games. Training camp will be about getting everyone else ready to compete for their potential spot on this team. So let's get ready for some Texans football.

Yes it is. It's that time of year again. Time for our weekly game threads. This one, I know, is 2 weeks before the game instead of 1 week before, but it's just too hard to wait that one more week to get started with our season and Texans Football and plus I wanted it to be part of the training camp thread. LOL

This game won't be about the starters. It will be about looking at the drafted, undrafted and otherwise acquired players. The new guys on the team. We might get 1, maybe 2 series out of the starters but that'll be about it.

So what are you most interested in seeing come out of training camp and this game?

I'm looking at 3 things in particular.
1) The offensive line. How will they look when the pads are on and they have to deal with a tough Green Bay defensive front? 2 rookies, Scharping and Howard, will be on everyones radar seeing if they can take the starting jobs. Davenport and Rankin will be looked at with great interest as well to see if either or both of them can make a second year jump and show huge improvement. What we all want to see is if the offensive line can protect Watson.
2) The corner backs. Again, the Green Bay offense will be a good test to see if they can cover. Returning corners, free agents brought in and rookies all will get a look. We need to see huge improvement from this group almost as much as we do the offensive line.
3) The running backs. Returning to action will be D'Onte Foreman after having more then a year to recover from his torn Achilles tendon. Every indication from camp is that he's healthier then ever and ready to go. Let's hope so.
Then there's Lamar Miller. He has been dependable, but underwhelming as the feature back since he has been here. Should the O-line actually improve, let's hope it's in run blocking as well, as Miller needs some room to roam.

Those 3 areas are where most of my interest will be given. Let's see what you guys think.

YES IT IS!!!
IT'S THAT TIME AGAIN!!!
GO TEXANS!!!

dbl post sry

Last edited:
Why wud you make a game thread over 2 weeks b4 the actual game for a pre-season game I mean r u srs with this???
Well sir, it's a training camp and weekly game thread. Besides, if you know me, you know I do these weekly game threads regularly. Every year and every week as a matter of fact, and have been doing these threads on both here and the now defunct official web site message boards for several years. So yes. I am "srs with this".

Well sir, it's a training camp and weekly game thread. Besides, if you know me, you know I do these weekly game threads regularly. Every year and every week as a matter of fact, and have been doing these threads on both here and the now defunct official web site message boards for several years. So yes. I am "srs with this".
U must b very proud lmao

Still tho why not make a thread for the playoffs while u r at it **rofling**

Who has been the best player at their position that OB has benched because he was mad at them?

This situation with Brandon Brooks didnt get to the point you reference with OBrien cutting him (OBrien would never cut a "good" player) but it does add insight to that locker room. Add to that the comments from former players like Case Keenum (Bill OBrien told me I would never be a starter in the NFL) to Shane Lechlers negative remarks about Obrien the Osweiler Fiasco, running off HOFer Andre Johnson, and the obvious dislike between Rick Smith and Obrien. It really shouldnt be that hard to clock this guy. He thinks his **** dont stink, he is a mediocre coach who is fake tough. He will bark and bark at practice and press conferences only to cower during difficult moments of games. Pathetic excuse for a head coach in todays NFL and an infinitely worse personnel man.

https://www.battleredblog.com/2018/5/31/17411952/brandon-brooks-didnt-like-playing-for-bill-obrien

BROOKS: I’ll put it this way. I was going into my third year in Houston. O’Brien had just come in. And, you know, players who’ve made Pro Bowls, All-Pro [teams], whatever, they had their pictures on the wall and stuff. It was down the hallway as you go to lunch, you get to see how the players handle their business. When he came in, man, all those pictures were taken down. TVs in the cafeteria were off. He would never tell you what to say to the media, but he would always be like, ‘I can’t tell you what to say to the media. But some things that you might want to mention is like: I’m here to do my job. Stuff like that. You know what I mean? So eventually you get the same answers from all of the guys, you start realizing what’s going on.

OBrien ran off an ALL PRO in Brooks to save some cash in a far lesser player in Allen. LOL. YOu have to laugh to keep yourself from crying.

Didnt Duane brown have an OB problem as well? Not just a McNair problem. Swear I remember our old Center on radio saying DB didnt like OB. Dang it cant remember his name. Think we traded for him from Denver. Oh well.

Man I hope Cal wakes up one day and does what needs be done

Back